• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

The speed of light for Avada Kedavra

Status
Not open for further replies.
I will try to prove it with the help of phenomena characteristic only of real light with a real speed of 3 * 10 in 8th m/s in a vacuum, which meets the criteria on this wiki to prove the speed of light.

Avada Kedavra:
1) Let's start with the fact that this spell is described as a light beam of bright green color, and it is almost always characterized as a "blinding flash":

Voldemort was ready. As Harry shouted, “Expelliarmus!” Voldemort cried, “Avada Kedavra!” A jet of green light issued from Voldemort’s wand just as a jet of red light blasted from Harry’s — they met in midair — and suddenly Harry’s wand was vibrating as though an electric charge were surging through it; his hand seized up around it; he couldn’t have released it if he’d wanted to — and a narrow beam of light connected the two wands, neither red nor green, but bright, deep gold. Harry, following the beam with his astonished gaze, saw that Voldemort’s long white fingers too were gripping a wand that was shaking and vibrating.

HhnNK3MApmE.jpg

2) Avada Kedavra, like real light, is reflected from metal surfaces. So, with the help of statues, Dumbledore reflected the light beam so that Harry would not be hurt. As well as the spell reflected the animated statues during the Attack on Hogwarts with the help of metal swords:

Harry had not even opened his mouth to resist. His mind was blank, his wand pointing uselessly at the floor. But the headless golden statue of the wizard in the fountain had sprung alive, leaping from its plinth, and landed on the floor with a crash between Harry and Voldemort. The spell merely glanced off its chest as the statue flung out its arms, protecting Harry.

rrKw89DcHM4.jpg
dyF04LvS0mQ.jpg

3) Avada Kedavra, like real light, exhibits the phenomenon of light diffraction, that is, it diverges into the spectrum of colors of the rainbow due to the transition to another medium. This is clearly noticeable when Voldemort fights against Harry, and when Dumbledore and Grindelwald's spells collide, light waves also emanate from them, which manifest light diffraction and light divergence into rainbow colors:

rhKFaHkLxIc.jpg
fjFje9lRnZo.jpg
PUyshtQtiCU.jpg
0NZl3aDWP7Q.jpg
wG7zm5Q58zY.jpg
Lp62rXlhBjA.jpg

o9iEsM_R3pg.jpg
kRkSHUMHCvg.jpg
oKPiqkcKRa0.jpg
qQCoB4z1Imw.jpg
ZwA7E-eEyDs.jpg
cZz7T2NC18Q.jpg

4) The killing spell obviously surpasses various electric spells in speed, such as the one Grindelwald used in the first part of Fantastic Beasts. Since Avada Kedavra is a light beam, its flash is visually and actually much faster than the lightning emitted by Grindelwald in Newt, which suggests that this spell is faster than lightning. Moreover, we (the audience) cannot follow the movement of the Avada Kedavra light beam (look at the screenshots, there the spell is emitted and instantly destroys some kind of building at a distance), but it is quite possible to follow the movement of an electric discharge (given that it has hypersonic speed). At the same time, frame-by-frame video deceleration was used:

UoV_imvaal8.jpg
T4Ajf85cMQU.jpg

4Q6UzTYjxTc.jpg
rSP_1oSb2kc.jpg

5) When Albus protects Credence from Grindelwald's deadly spell, he uses a shield of light, thereby sending electromagnetic rays towards Credence. The film shows that the rays of the wizards' spells match in speed, therefore, the Avada Kedavra should not be slower than the Albus light spell. We also take into account the fact that in the Wizarding World there are spells of natural light (Lumos Solem), as well as an unknown spell that Dumbledore was supposed to use in a duel against Voldemort in the Order of the Phoenix in the scenario version:

Lightning fast, Grindelwald turns and casts a spell toward CREDENCE WHEN . . .
. . . a BRIGHT, BLINDING SHIELD OF LIGHT materializes in front of Credence, courtesy of . . .
. . . Dumbledore and Aberforth, who—reflexively—independently—have cast protective spells.
As Grindelwald’s spell strikes the SHIMMERING SHIELD OF LIGHT, we follow his gaze up the path of the spell and discover . . .
. . . his and Dumbledore’s spells have knotted together.

novHbWWOPT4.jpg

Result:
After reviewing all the arguments I have given, it should be concluded that Avada Kedavra moves at the speed of light, in matter slightly less than the speed of light, but close to 300,000,000 m/s. Thus, it is necessary to update the attack speed of wizards with the help of Avada Kedavra, which in the future will greatly affect the scaling of the speed of the entire verse (it is high time to do this).
Agree:
Disagree: Armorchompy Qawsedf234 Propellus Damage3245 DarkDragonMedeus
Neutral:

Last edited:
1) Let's start with the fact that this spell is described as a light beam of bright green color, and it is almost always characterized as a "blinding flash":

Voldemort was ready. As Harry shouted, “Expelliarmus!” Voldemort cried, “Avada Kedavra!” A jet of green light issued from Voldemort’s wand just as a jet of red light blasted from Harry’s — they met in midair — and suddenly Harry’s wand was vibrating as though an electric charge were surging through it; his hand seized up around it; he couldn’t have released it if he’d wanted to — and a narrow beam of light connected the two wands, neither red nor green, but bright, deep gold. Harry, following the beam with his astonished gaze, saw that Voldemort’s long white fingers too were gripping a wand that was shaking and vibrating.
Yeah because it's like, bright.
3) Avada Kedavra, like real light, exhibits the phenomenon of light diffraction, that is, it diverges into the spectrum of colors of the rainbow due to the transition to another medium. This is clearly noticeable when Voldemort fights against Harry, and when Dumbledore and Grindelwald's spells collide, light waves also emanate from them, which manifest light diffraction and light divergence into rainbow colors:

fjFje9lRnZo.jpg
PUyshtQtiCU.jpg

qQCoB4z1Imw.jpg
ZwA7E-eEyDs.jpg
First problem: It explodes when it clashes, which light definitely doesn't. Second, bigger problem: it clashes- light wouldn't do that.

Yeah because it's like, bright.

First problem: It explodes when it clashes, which light definitely doesn't. Second, bigger problem: it clashes- light wouldn't do that.
Lasers at high power can collide and create a ball of white light, which is what we see.

physics. This is trivial, until the laser of one spell surpasses the power of another, it will not be able to create a single beam. However, we see this process of merging two powerful light rays. Moreover, we can also observe an electromagnetic pulse when merging spells.

physics. This is trivial, until the laser of one spell surpasses the power of another, it will not be able to create a single beam. However, we see this process of merging two powerful light rays. Moreover, we can also observe an electromagnetic pulse when merging spells.
Post a link please

In any case, there is evidence that suggests that the Avada Kedavra is refracted and reflected. This, I think, is more than enough.

1. It bends (in your scans)
2. It explodes
3. It has mass as we see it knock people over
da24d62e8fa90a1c8664ed26cd589f3a.gif

I'm also pretty sure people react to it despite the verse being generally much slower around subsonic. As far as I remember wizards are meant to be pretty much the same as humans physically, not some relativistic speed gods.
1) It does not bend. This is clearly visible.
2) The same as the laser.
3) It cannot have mass, as it is reflected from metal surfaces.

People are physically unable to react to this, because the spell moves at the speed of light and the audience cannot trace its movement. At least you don't have any counterarguments. There is no reason to suggest that wizards SHOULD be physically similar to humans.

No, it very much bends. The entire line is more crooked than a lightning bolt
It goes in a straight line, to one point. The curve is because the wizard's hands are vibrating, which causes trembling.

Lasers don't explode, they explode things that are explosive but they themselves never explode. These are photons, they have no explosive property
When interacting with dense matter, they create a mini-explosion. Read about it on the Internet. This is due to the fact that there is an intense flow of energy in the laser beam.

What? Mass particles cannot reflect off surfaces because they crash into them. Read my post, everything is proven there.

Or it could just be bouncing off of it like how a tennis ball bounces off a racket. Plus either way it plenty contradicts real light
But it is the reflection of the light beam from the metal surface that is typical for real light. Your example is incorrect, because in our case other materials are used in general.

It goes in a straight line, to one point. The curve is because the wizard's hands are vibrating, which causes trembling.
That's not how light works. Unless their hands are vibrating at FTL speeds that shit ain't gonna work
When interacting with dense matter, they create a mini-explosion. Read about it on the Internet. This is due to the fact that there is an intense flow of energy in the laser beam.
Exactly, they cause the object to explode, they don't produce an explosion themselves. In the gif we see an explosion of avada kedavra magic (its green) and it doesn't explode harry which means it doesn't work like an actual laser.
What? Mass particles cannot reflect off surfaces because they crash into them. Read my post, everything is proven there.
I am asking where and at what point did Avada Kedavra get reflected off of a metal surface

That's not how light works. Unless their hands are vibrating at FTL speeds that shit ain't gonna work
Well, I do not know if this fact will affect the conclusion of the discussion (because in any case, one proof that the spell is reflected from metal surfaces and that it demonstrates the phenomenon of light diffraction is enough to give it light velocity), but note that with a short flash of spells, it moves straight and does not bend ABSOLUTELY (that is, you can notice it when Grindelwald sends Avada Kedavra at Dumbledore - we only see the flash and its consequences, and when the statue reflects a light beam with a sword)
Exactly, they cause the object to explode, they don't produce an explosion themselves. In the gif we see an explosion of avada kedavra magic (its green) and it doesn't explode harry which means it doesn't work like an actual laser.
Oh, and are we ignoring the rest of the spell demonstrations? It could have been Harry himself who exploded, not the spell.
I am asking where and at what point did Avada Kedavra get reflected off of a metal surface
everything is written in my post, apparently you haven't even read it.

4) The killing spell obviously surpasses various electric spells in speed, such as the one Grindelwald used in the first part of Fantastic Beasts. Since Avada Kedavra is a light beam, its flash is visually and actually much faster than the lightning emitted by Grindelwald in Newt, which suggests that this spell is faster than lightning.
Being faster than Lightning doesn't means that it has Speed of Light and that lightning doesn't even have actual lightning speed even I can see its movements

Well, I do not know if this fact will affect the conclusion of the discussion (because in any case, one proof that the spell is reflected from metal surfaces and that it demonstrates the phenomenon of light diffraction is enough to give it light velocity)
light diffraction is this
ImageForArticle_9(1).jpg

it even says in your own CRT that it is when light enters another medium (as in, water, glass, oxygen).
Two beams clashing isn't light entering another medium and what it shows isn't diffraction, it is the spells clashing and exploding in a magicey way similar to what happens when you shoot a stream of liquid onto a hard surface.
but note that with a short flash of spells, it moves straight and does not bend ABSOLUTELY (that is, you can notice it when Grindelwald sends Avada Kedavra at Dumbledore - we only see the flash and its consequences,
except that you ignore that it bends in every other way and looks nothing like an actual beam of light
and when the statue reflects a light beam with a sword)
I think they just have some form of reflection spell like protego cast onto them. These statues are made of stone and they are certainly not shiny or polished so I don't see how it'd reflect off of them otherwise.

Oh, and are we ignoring the rest of the spell demonstrations? It could have been Harry himself who exploded, not the spell.
Ah yes the part where Harry blew up and Hagrid carries the bottom half of his corpse since the upper part got blown to smitherenes, totally remember that part
everything is written in my post, apparently you haven't even read it.
Nothing in the post suggests this is light because all it is is you misinterpreting stuff.

Being faster than Lightning doesn't means that it has Speed of Light and that lightning doesn't even have actual lightning speed even I can see its movements
This is natural lightning because it travels through metal - a current conductor. Moreover, earlier in another thread they adopted the speed of natural lightning for this lightning.

1) It does not bend. This is clearly visible.
Bro that line is about as straight as the average Saitama fan
2) The same as the laser.
Lasers don't explode themselves, this has been explained enough in this thread already. Your evidence also only really aims at a regular beam of light, not a laser, so that doesn't work anyway.
3) It cannot have mass, as it is reflected from metal surfaces.
We literally see the beam blasts Harry off his feet as if he slipped on a banana peel lmao
At least you don't have any counterarguments.
???
There is no reason to suggest that wizards SHOULD be physically similar to humans.
They're biologically almost identical. Harry could live his entire life amongst humans without realizing he's somehow gajillion times faster than them. Hell even (near) adult Harry is still seen as a loser worth bullying by Dudley and his friends with him only backing off when he whipped out the wand. I'm pretty sure if Harry could punch them at relativistic speeds he could have just beat them up in self defense without pulling out his morning wood.

Bro that line is about as straight as the average Saitama fan
look at the short flashes of the spell - they are direct and invisible to the eyes. Wizards can't hold their hands perfectly straight, so because of the movements of their brush, the spell beam also moves, lol
UoV_imvaal8.jpg
T4Ajf85cMQU.jpg

Lasers don't explode themselves, this has been explained enough in this thread already. Your evidence also only really aims at a regular beam of light, not a laser, so that doesn't work anyway.
what? This is not an ordinary beam of light, but a magic laser, because all the energy is concentrated in one line of light, and not when it is scattered.
I threw off the screenshots above, where the spell does not explode
We literally see the beam blasts Harry off his feet as if he slipped on a banana peel lmao
Because he should be dead, lol. Therefore, his body failed for a few seconds. For your information, Harry's body is dense matter, so the laser cuts into it and the entire light pulse is directed specifically at Potter.
You can't show ordinary people reacting to spells.
They're biologically almost identical. Harry could live his entire life amongst humans without realizing he's somehow gajillion times faster than them. Hell even (near) adult Harry is still seen as a loser worth bullying by Dudley and his friends with him only backing off when he whipped out the wand. I'm pretty sure if Harry could punch them at relativistic speeds he could have just beat them up in self defense without pulling out his morning wood.
Biologically, they are distinguishable. This is what Newt says. Are you seriously talking about this now? I don't think Rowling intended logic in scaling speeds, she just made it clear to us that wizards are able to attack at the speed of light. And yes, Harry once got angry and sent out an electromagnetic pulse around himself, which created electrical interference, this is not a human level. If humans and wizards were indistinguishable physically, they would not be able to react to light rays, electricity discharges and a flying arrow.

light diffraction is this
ImageForArticle_9(1).jpg

it even says in your own CRT that it is when light enters another medium (as in, water, glass, oxygen).
Yeah, that's what I showed in thread. The light rays collide, so they form a ball of white light that splits into rainbow colors.
Two beams clashing isn't light entering another medium and what it shows isn't diffraction, it is the spells clashing and exploding in a magicey way similar to what happens when you shoot a stream of liquid onto a hard surface.
It's physically logical. But even without this, it is clear that light spreads around the Avada Kedavra, which is refracted and the same rainbow effect is formed. The flow of liquid and the light beam of a spell are two different things. A light ray has no mass and it does not consist of dense matter.
except that you ignore that it bends in every other way and looks nothing like an actual beam of light
You also ignore the fact that it reflects off metal surfaces, which is typical only for real light.
I think they just have some form of reflection spell like protego cast onto them. These statues are made of stone and they are certainly not shiny or polished so I don't see how it'd reflect off of them otherwise.
Huh, you can't prove that. Was the golden statue also enchanted to reflect Avada Kedavra? But no, other statues were destroyed into small pieces because they were hit by a light beam that they could not reflect because they were not made of metal. The statues themselves are made of stone, but their weapons are not.
Ah yes the part where Harry blew up and Hagrid carries the bottom half of his corpse since the upper part got blown to smitherenes, totally remember that part
So the spell shouldn't create a huge explosion, it's just concentrated energy of light, it just burned him and radiated in all directions because it crashed into dense matter that absorbed all the light. If anything, explosions are not always chemical reactions.
Nothing in the post suggests this is light because all it is is you misinterpreting stuff.
Or did you just not read it?

Yeah, that's what I showed in thread. The light rays collide, so they form a ball of white light that splits into rainbow colors.
They don't, and even then the beam doesn't change mediums, it has no reason to split into different colors anyways.
It's physically logical. But even without this, it is clear that light spreads around the Avada Kedavra, which is refracted and the same rainbow effect is formed. The flow of liquid and the light beam of a spell are two different things. A light ray has no mass and it does not consist of dense matter.
so what is it that you're arguing at this point? Like i said, I don't see any rainbow effect, all I see is just the light.
You also ignore the fact that it reflects off metal surfaces, which is typical only for real light.

Huh, you can't prove that. Was the golden statue also enchanted to reflect Avada Kedavra? But no, other statues were destroyed into small pieces because they were hit by a light beam that they could not reflect because they were not made of metal. The statues themselves are made of stone, but their weapons are not.
I rewatched the scene pixel by pixel and what happens in actuality is that the spell hit the shield. If the spell hits the shield it gets reflected, we see that happen twice. If they hit the statue head on it dies. The scenes before and later show us that the weapons are of the exact same texture as the stone statues and aren't reflective. This further proves that the statues have enchanted shields.
So the spell shouldn't create a huge explosion, it's just concentrated energy of light, it just burned him and radiated in all directions because it crashed into dense matter that absorbed all the light. If anything, explosions are not always chemical reactions.
except that doesn't make any sense because HE WASN'T BURNED. Literally nothing happened to him. What happened was, the spell hit, the magic burst forth making an explosion and then harry died with 0 injuries. That's it. Light doesn't behave that way, thus it is not light.
Or did you just not read it?
Lol

So the films depict Avada Kedavra as a kind of green bolt, but this isn't the case in the books. It is always described as a flash or jet of light:
“Avada Kedavra!” Moody roared. There was a flash of blinding green light and a rushing sound, as though a vast, invisible something was soaring through the air — instantaneously the spider rolled over onto its back, unmarked, but unmistakably dead.
So that was how his parents had died . . . exactly like that spider. Had they been unblemished and unmarked too? Had they simply seen the flash of green light and heard the rush of speeding death, before life was wiped from their bodies?
–The Goblet of Fire, pg. 216
From far away, above his head, he heard a high, cold voice say, “Kill the spare.”
A swishing noise and a second voice, which screeched the words to the night: “Avada Kedavra!” A blast of green light blazed through Harry’s eyelids, and he heard something heavy fall to the ground beside him; the pain in his scar reached such a pitch that he retched, and then it diminished; terrified of what he was about to see, he opened his stinging eyes.
–The Goblet of Fire, pg. 638

What the 4th movie is trying to show with the light show is the Priori Incantatem, the connection between wands that occur when they share the same core and clash spells.
Voldemort was ready. As Harry shouted, “Expelliarmus!” Voldemort cried, “Avada Kedavra!” A jet of green light issued from Voldemort’s wand just as a jet of red light blasted from Harry’s — they met in midair — and suddenly Harry’s wand was vibrating as though an electric charge were
surging through it; his hand seized up around it; he couldn’t have released it if he’d wanted to — and a narrow beam of light connected the two wands, neither red nor green, but bright, deep gold.
Harry, following the beam with his astonished gaze, saw that Voldemort’s long white fingers too were gripping a wand that was shaking and vibrating. And then — nothing could have prepared Harry for this — he felt his feet lift from the ground. He and Voldemort were both
being raised into the air, their wands still connected by that thread of shimmering golden light. They glided away from the tombstone of Voldemort’s father and then came to rest on a patch of ground that was clear and free of graves. . . . The Death Eaters were shouting; they were asking Voldemort for instructions; they
were closing in, reforming the circle around Harry and Voldemort, the snake slithering at their heels, some of them drawing their
wands — The golden thread connecting Harry and Voldemort splintered; though the wands remained connected, a thousand more beams arced high over Harry and Voldemort, crisscrossing all around them, until they were enclosed in a golden, dome-shaped web, a cage of light, beyond which the Death Eaters circled like jackals, their cries strangely muffled now. . . .
“Do nothing!” Voldemort shrieked to the Death Eaters, and Harry saw his red eyes wide with astonishment at what was happening, saw him fighting to break the thread of light still connect-
ing his wand with Harry’s; Harry held onto his wand more tightly, with both hands, and the golden thread remained unbroken. “Do nothing unless I command you!” Voldemort shouted to the Death Eaters.
And then an unearthly and beautiful sound filled the air. . . . It was coming from every thread of the light-spun web vibrating around Harry and Voldemort. It was a sound Harry recognized,
though he had heard it only once before in his life: phoenix song. It was the sound of hope to Harry . . . the most beautiful and welcome thing he had ever heard in his life. . . . He felt as though
the song were inside him instead of just around him. . . . It was the sound he connected with Dumbledore, and it was almost as though a friend were speaking in his ear. . . . Don’t break the connection. I know, Harry told the music, I know I mustn’t . . . but no sooner had he thought it, than the thing became much harder to do. His wand began to vibrate more powerfully than ever . . . and now the beam between him and Voldemort changed too . . . it was as though large beads of light were sliding up and down the thread connecting the wands — Harry felt his wand give a shudder under his hand as the light beads began to slide slowly and steadily his way. . . . The direction of the beam’s movement was now toward him, from Voldemort, and he felt his wand shudder angrily. . . .
– The Goblet of Fire, pg. 663-664
But when he reached the part where the golden beam of light had connected his and Voldemort’s wands, he found his throat obstructed. He tried to keep talking, but the memories of what had come out of Voldemort’s wand were flooding into his mind. He could see Cedric emerging, see the old man, Bertha Jorkins . . . his father . . . his mother . . . He was glad when Sirius broke the silence.
“The wands connected?” he said, looking from Harry to Dumbledore. “Why?”
Harry looked up at Dumbledore again, on whose face there was an arrested look.
“Priori Incantatem,” he muttered.
His eyes gazed into Harry’s and it was almost as though an invisible beam of understanding shot between them.
“The Reverse Spell effect?” said Sirius sharply.
“Exactly,” said Dumbledore. “Harry’s wand and Voldemort’s wand share cores. Each of them contains a feather from the tail of the same phoenix. This phoenix, in fact,” he added, and he pointed at the scarlet-and-gold bird, perching peacefully on Harry’s knee.
– The Goblet of Fire, pg. 696-697

Normally, Avada Kedavra can't be blocked:
Moody swept the dead spider off the desk onto the floor. “Not nice,” he said calmly. “Not pleasant. And there’s no countercurse. There’s no blocking it. Only one known person has ever survived it, and he’s sitting right in front of me.”
– The Goblet of Fire, pg. 216

Avada Kedavra also doesn't push a target, they simply fall lifeless:
Snape raised his wand and pointed it directly at Dumbledore.
“Avada Kedavra!”
A jet of green light shot from the end of Snape’s wand and hit Dumbledore squarely in the chest. Harry’s scream of horror never left him; silent and unmoving, he was forced to watch as Dumbledore was blasted into the air: for a split second he seemed to hang suspended beneath the shining skull, and then he fell slowly backwards, like a great rag doll, over the battlements and out of sight.
–Half Blood Prince, chapter twenty-eight

Avada Kedavra, as shown with the Priori Incantatem, does produce some kind of heat. This is also shown in the battle with Dumbledore:
‘It was foolish to come here tonight, Tom,’ said Dumbledore calmly. ‘The Aurors are on their way –’
‘By which time I shall be gone, and you will be dead!’ spat Voldemort. He sent another killing curse at Dumbledore but missed, instead hitting the security guard’s desk, which burst into flame.
– Order of the Phoenix, pg. 717-718

Anytime someone "dodges" Avada Kedavra, it is always some form of aim-dodge or the person casting it didn't aim well:
The second Death Eater, however, had leapt aside to avoid Harry’s spell and was pointing his own wand at Hermione, who was crawling out from under the desk to get a better aim.
‘Avada –’ Harry launched himself across the floor and grabbed the Death Eater around the knees, causing him to topple and his aim to go awry.
–Order of the Phoenix, pg. 696
Voldemort raised his wand and another jet of green light streaked at Dumbledore, who turned and was gone in a whirling of his cloak. Next second, he had reappeared behind Voldemort and waved his wand towards the remnants of the fountain.
– Order of the Phoenix, pg. 717
“Hold on, Harry, this’ll do it for ’em!” roared Hagrid, and Harry looked up just in time to see Hagrid slamming a thick finger into a green button near the fuel gauge.
A wall, a solid brick wall, erupted out of the exhaust pipe. Craning his neck, Harry saw it expand into being in midair. Three of the Death Eaters swerved and avoided it, but the fourth was not so lucky; He vanished from view and then dropped like a boulder from behind it, his broomstick broken into pieces. One of his fellows slowed up to save him, but they and the airborne wall were swallowed by darkness as Hagrid leaned low over the handlebars and sped up. More Killing Curses flew past Harry’s head from the two remaining Death Eaters’ wands; they were aiming for Hagrid.
– The Deathly Hallows, pg. 57
“We’re nearly there, Harry, we’ve nearly made it!” shouted Hagrid. Harry felt the bike drop a little, though the lights down on the ground still seemed remote as stars. Then the scar on his forehead burned like fire: as a Death Eater appeared on either side of the bike, two Killing Curses missed Harry by millimeters, cast from behind—
– The Deathly Hallows, pg. 60
Barely gripping the plummeting bike with his knees, Harry heard Voldemort scream, “Mine!!” It was over: He could not see or hear where Voldemort was; he glimpsed another Death Eater swooping out of the way and heard,
“Avada — ”
As the pain from Harry’s scar forced his eyes shut, his wand acted of its own accord. He felt it drag his hand around like some great magnet, saw a spurt of golden fire through his half-closed eyelids, heard a crack and a scream of fury. The remaining Death Eater yelled; Voldemort screamed, “No!”; Somehow, Harry found his nose an inch from the dragon-fire button. He punched it with his wand-free hand and the bike shot more flames into the air, hurtling straight toward the ground.
– The Deathly Hallows, pg. 61

Or the wand just straight refuses to kill someone:
“So it all comes down to this, doesn’t it?” whispered Harry. “Does the wand in your hand know its last master was Disarmed? Because if it does . . . I am the true master of the Elder Wand.”
A red-gold glow burst suddenly across the enchanted sky above them as an edge of dazzling sun appeared over the sill of the nearest window. The light hit both of their faces at the same time, so that Voldemort’s was suddenly a flaming blur. Harry heard the high voice shriek as he too yelled his best hope to the heavens, pointing Draco’s wand:
“Avada Kedavra!”
“Expelliarmus!”
The bang was like a cannon blast, and the golden flames that erupted between them, at the dead center of the circle they had been treading, marked the point where the spells collided. Harry saw Voldemort’s green jet meet his own spell, saw the Elder Wand fly high, dark against the sunrise, spinning across the enchanted ceiling like the head of Nagini, spinning through the air toward the master it would not kill, who had come to take full possession of it at last.
–The Deadly Hallows, pg. 743-744

-

With all this being said, I don't think Avada Kedavra quite meet the lightspeed standards, but most contradictions about it come from the movies not portraying the spell correctly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back