• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Some questions about calculating planet sizes and even universe size.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Received 725539377922423
Would calculating Giltena's size by this scan change anything? you can also use phoenix movie to calculate the size of ishgar

Those images wouldn't increase the size, but they do support that once again, the planet is huge, Ishgar already surpasses the planets circumference and then there's a whole other continent that's way bigger to the right, not to mention there is also a bigger continent upwards

Point being, the Planet is consistency larger than Earth

DemonGodMitchAubin said:
Those images wouldn't increase the size, but they do support that once again, the planet is huge, Ishgar already surpasses the planets circumference and then there's a whole other continent that's way bigger to the right, not to mention there is also a bigger continent upwards

Point being, the Planet is consistency larger than Earth
But you said fiore ar is 1/3 the diameter of the Earth, so how is Fairy Tail Planet only 2x larger than Earth ?

That's just a lowball to be safe, it's likely way bigger as a planet, but we can only scale so far, we don't have a full image of the planet

It's about 2X greater in Diameter, specifically it's 26,159.2 Km, and that's lowballed to be safe, also we don't have a full shot of the planet, or a map of the full planet

Honestly, I would think that curvature of the planet calc would still be useful (To some degree), and if there are statements of certain size and proper use of px calculation would still be applicable, though I do agree that there needs to be some standards like a planet cannot be too large:

"The largest "terrestrial" planet is generally considered the one before you get too thick of an atmosphere, which happens at about 5-10 Earth masses (something like 2 Earth radii). Those planets are more Earth-like than Neptune-like. "

but if there are worlds that are artificially created by unnatural means, that would be another matter entirely. Point being, the planet measurement can still be calculated if there is another information and statements to give measurements, as long as they don't go over certain limits if they are real natural worlds.

No, I don't like the method of measuring distance via travel speed by boat and days, that wasn't accepted for Los Noches

depending on the sail boat type (which looks like it is 8 knots), the distance between both continents are 3555.84 km

since it takes 3 days to walk to the gate from the wall, the portion of the perimeter would be 362.88 km

it is between the various widths of the atlantic ocean, 2,848 kilometres between Brazil and Liberia to about 4,830 between the United States and northern Africa

Yeah, but Diameter is different from Circumference, we don't have a front view of the entire planet, so we need to math out what the diameter is, we can't just use Ishgar as the diameter since we don't know that, the most we could use it for is Circumference

Right now, we're kinda just going in circles, so can we highlight this please and get some staff input on how to handle these planet situations

Once I believe that the only time that you should be able to calc a Planet's Size are...

1. The Planet isn't Real Life Earth

2. There are actual measurements given by a reliable source in the story that you can use

3. There are multiple sources (Either maps, images or otherwise) that suggest the planet being bigger

4. There is no evidence against the planet being larger

Only if these things are met, do I think you should be able to calc the size of the planet, I don't think you are required to have a direct statement that the planet is bigger than real life earth, because that's pretty silly, very few times will a fictional verse with a different planet be able to compare their planet to IRL Earth, because there would be no IRL Earth once again, this could apply to any verse, at least, that's what I think

And I think Fairy Tail fits this bill

Guys, I think that maybe we should make a new staff only thread for this discussion, nothing's getting done right now and it would be easier to garner attention

DemonGodMitchAubin said:
Yeah, but Diameter is different from Circumference, we don't have a front view of the entire planet, so we need to math out what the diameter is, we can't just use Ishgar as the diameter since we don't know that, the most we could use it for is Circumference
why not use it then ?

Ishgar as the circumference wouldn't be the maximum Circumference we can use, the photo used on the current blog is the best and biggest one we can use for the Circumference

DemonGodMitchAubin said:
Once I believe that the only time that you should be able to calc a Planet's Size are...

1. The Planet isn't Real Life Earth

2. There are actual measurements given by a reliable source in the story that you can use

3. There are multiple sources (Either maps, images or otherwise) that suggest the planet being bigger

4. There is no evidence against the planet being larger

Only if these things are met, do I think you should be able to calc the size of the planet
I 100% agree with this.

so if a planet is stated to have over 32+ (or more) continents. then given enough information the planet size can be calc'ed?? (just a random example)

Isn't there a shot of the FT world globe back on the tenrou arc?

Edit: found it though i don't know if it would be of any use but here.

Not as detailed as it's a bit in the background https://**********.com/manga/Fairy-Tail/0244-014.png

More detailed it has it's own panel on this one https://**********.com/manga/Fairy-Tail/0244-015.png

Different angle of the globe https://**********.com/manga/Fairy-Tail/0245-008.png

Maybe this will help or not

I agree. A fictional planet should never be assumed larger than the actual Earth unless there is a direct implication it is

@Ugarik

What about Fairy Tail's Case, do you think it has enough evidence to be deemed larger than earth, because there are several maps and eveything indicates that it is bigger than earth

@Demon; several maps aside (since they all depend on the same thing), the only actual implication that it is bigger than Earth is the single 400 km statement, correct?

Damage3245 said:
@Demon; several maps aside (since they all depend on the same thing), the only actual implication that it is bigger than Earth is the single 400 km statement, correct?
@damage, it give the size of fiore, using which we can find size of ishagr. Which is>Eearth diameter, and iirc both alveraz and gilitina was stated to be bigger than ishgar

Many people may diagree with me but unless 400 km statement was in the same chapter as the map I wouldn't use it

Ugarik said:
Many people may diagree with me but unless 400 km statement was in the same chapter as the map I wouldn't use it
I don't understand. Could you explain why the map is needed in the same chapter?

I heavily disagree with that statement. The 400 km statement is more than enough. We have feats on here that purely use pixel scaling and use calculations based on the average height or speed of walking, etc, which are all complete assumptions and ending result is no where near precise nor accurate.

People have tried to say One Piece's and Naruto's planet with reasonings that are weak.

This gives you an actual distance to work from. I support this 100%

Someone get more staff since this isn't going anywhere

Cause the way I'm seeing it is that most of the staff disagree with this but just in case we need more and idt they saw what Mitch had

I still haven't heard a solid reason for why we can't use the calced Planet Size, every Map and shot of the planet puts Ishgar above the Earth's circumference, why can't we use it, when we literally have exact measurements to use

There isn't a real world Earth in the verse, so there's no possibility of them comparing this planet to it, I think this verse more than meets the conditions for the acceptable planet calc, why should we just ignore the measurements and story because it makes the calc unsafe, when we're already being safe by lowballing the calc

It just feels like there's no solid reasoning against other than being fair to other verses, but other verses don't have canon measurements to work with, meaning that Fairy Tail is a special case, It has legit measurements to use

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back