• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Some questions about calculating planet sizes and even universe size.

Status
Not open for further replies.
It has straightup statement of a small part of the country being 400 Km, so measuring it off of that, it's 4,000ish Km

So I don't like that we just have to ignore that

It apply for FT 100%. There is literally nothing to prove the planet is bigger than ours. Even with the "Oh but the countries are bigger than Earthh" NO. This proves nothing, using calculations to show the planet is bigger goes against what the staff approved above.

A calculation cant prove something like this, I can calc the country and get less than you. Show in-verse stuff to prove this.

I agree with Mitch here, if the manga states something that contradicts the planet being earth sized then the Planet size calc should be left as is.

I don't understand this at all, their are plenty of planets in real life that exceed Earth's size, since the planet in Fairy Tail isn't earth and has actually measurements given that show it being larger in diameter to earth then I don't see how this can't be assumed to be a bigger planet

This isn't a distance based on walking or assumptions, we get a literally distance and we have several maps that show the distance and be scaled

@Demon

Thats pretty much like an assumption instead of something that should be an statement. This is also why Naruto planet size was rejected as well since it doesnt have a statement. Also, the measurement is from your doing though....

Again, this proves nothing. One of the main points of the thread I linked was the art inconsistency regarding planet shots. Yeah, there is literally nothing to support the planet being bigger

Is the Naruto planet size based off of an explicit distance given in verse by a knowledgeable source? If not, its not the same situation as FT.

So you turned a 400km statement in a 40k km planet... I am pretty sure anyone who read this will reject this.

Well, the 370 Km is a small fraction of the smallest country on the planet, so yeah, even just assuming a few countries, the planets larger than Earth

If the maps ratios between countries are the same all the time, how is it an issue? And this need for it to be stated that X fictional planet is larger than irl earth is dumb when these verses can often take place in completely fictional settings so this rule is almost impossible to fulfil aside from mats which only expand upon info that is relevant to the story or characters.

Naruto and Dragon Ball didn't have actual measurements, I don't see how this applies to Fairy Tail, which has actual measurements and through those measurements, we can see the planet is bigger than Earth in diameter, also this planet isn't our Earth

What's the issue here

Wait so is Wahl 370km distance is whats used for Fiore?

EDIT: well thats not Fiore but just the harbor....

I will address the stuff tomorrow, I am with a shitty Iphone 5 with aa broken screen. This isnt conclued yet

BlackeJan said:
Well how do we know it isnt our earth?
I mean the fact that it doesn't share any similar geographical locations or shapes, entirely different oceans and seas, only three continents to our 7 and I'm sure there's more that can be said

The sizes of planets being much higher than they should be would have some pretty significant impacts on everything. The atmosphere would be different, higher gravity would favor different types of species and lead to different bodily compositions, ecosystems would be way different, humans probably wouldn't look like humans, etc. I think it makes more sense to just chalk it up to "writers can't do/don't care about math" most of the time, unless the verse is really explicit about an unusual size being intentional since these repercussions are seldom relevant. That would be indicative of the planet being that large not actually being a thing that's supposed to be relevant.

^Wokistan says it as I want to.

Finding a distance from actual stated distances is fine to me, but expanding that to a plant size I dont think is right without a statement telling you the planet is bigger than most.

BlackeJan said:
If im right, Naruto series doesnt have America and all that but it was still rejected
Isn't that because every potential calc that exists has no outright statement giving specific distances between two locations? And instead the calcs rely on other calcs that rely on statements of time but not distance?

Fiore...Again
EarthLand Again
Magnolia to Hargeon is 370 Km = 59 px

370 Km/59 px = 6.27 Km per px

Fiore diameter = 701.9 px = 4401.7 Km

Fiore diameter = 4401.7 Km = 104.6 px

4401.7 Km/104.6 px = 42.1 Km per px

Planet at the very least = 1225.3 px = 51586.4 Km

Way bigger than Earth, and this isn't even the entire thing

The rule that there needs to be an outright statement insisting that the planet is larger than ours frankly is dumb. In general verses that take place in entirely different settings will never make a comparison to irl earth unless irl earth is relevant to its plot.

This basically sets up a nigh impossible standard to reach when most verses won't have a reason to make such a comparison, so we get cases where clearly stated distances are ignored because no one said "this planet is larger than earth". The far more prudent thing to do is to say "until shown sufficient evidence to the contrary- such as a clearly stated distance- a planet with an undefined size will be considered earth sized"

This is the sort of thing that wouldn't count though, especially with it being maps. Those things can just be, well, wrong.

@David

The way im seeing it is that the distance for Magnolia is used for earth size instead. Its good that we have the distance for it but to expand it for such a degree isnt good.

Wokistan said:
This is the sort of thing that wouldn't count though, especially with it being maps. Those things can just be, well, wrong.
Why would it be wrong, Mashima wrote the damn manga he can make something as big as he wants it to be.

not to mention these maps we given to the viewer directly from the author so saying that the maps are wrong "just because" goes against author intent.

@Blacke What? No, if that's the case that would suggest that Fiore canonically one of the smallest countries in the series would be about a third of the planet, which makes no sense

Wokistan said:
The sizes of planets being much higher than they should be would have some pretty significant impacts on everything. The atmosphere would be different, higher gravity would favor different types of species and lead to different bodily compositions, ecosystems would be way different, humans probably wouldn't look like humans, etc. I think it makes more sense to just chalk it up to "writers can't do/don't care about math" most of the time, unless the verse is really explicit about an unusual size being intentional since these repercussions are seldom relevant. That would be indicative of the planet being that large not actually being a thing that's supposed to be relevant.
I don't get why the writer not knowing how large this would make the planet changes the fact that they have inadvertently made the planet larger than Earth with statements made by characters in verse. If an author came onto the site and saw that characters from the verse he made were a higher tier than he thought they were because of a calc, we wouldn't downgrade the characters to the tier that he thinks makes more sense. (In this scenario there is nothing mathematically or logically wrong with the calc, the author just didn't do the math after having characters say specific measurements.)

Dragon Ball doesn't use given measurements, Fairy Tail does, that's what makes the calcs different

Anyways this needs to be staff thread only (Mitch u need to participate though) and lets see where this goes

BlackeJan said:
Anyways this needs to be staff thread only (Mitch u need to participate though) and lets see where this goes
I think that's a bad idea because it's going to restrict the majority of people who would be able to explain their position from replying.

We should make a new thread specifically for Fairy Tail since this really only applies to it

@Dragon

Thats not a bad idea at all. Mitch should participate since its HIS calc

@Demon

No. This literally should just be staff thread only with you being the only non-staff member paticipating since its your calc

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back