• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Sonic (Video Game) - Planetary Size Justifications

What are the current arguments here?
for the side pro downgrade this comment from Qaw is a good basic summary
I hold two opinions
  • The calc is using an island that doesn't apply to the used statement
  • The world has no real official indication that its larger than the IRL Earth and is relying on fan-calcs to get it that large
The first can be fixed with a recalc, the second one is about standards on what is acceptable as evidence for alternate planetary sizes. In my view it doesn't meet those standards, but if I'm outvoted then I would still think a recalc using another island would need to be used.
as for @TheRustyOne , he agrees with Qaw, but has some other additional opinions on this as well, such as
Yeah, I still don't agree with the planet being this large based on the current evidence being used. The size is being found by calculating the size of an island that doesn't have a stated size, and is relying on incredibly vague term such as orbit. Which varies greatly depending on where in orbit this means.

Tails didn't say how high up, he just vaguely said in orbit, which could be anywhere from 160 km to 340000 km on a planet the size of Earth. He didn't say Low-Earth Orbit, he didn't say the farthest orbit, he just said you can't see it in orbit.

as for the arguments pro side to why the planet is bigger and in favor of the calculation
first off, the basis of it is Tails' statement about the islands that are never seen in any shot or map from the series
we do calculations to find the size of things all the time here, i see no rule that says that we can't calc the size of structures, it is in fact, one of the most common things to do when calcing most feats, we pixel scale stuff based on size to find, for example, the size of a crater, or how big a explosion is, i don't know where are you getting that we can't calc the size of anything whatsoever to do a calculation

Sonic unleashed shows us a very close orbit, and we still can't see any islands at all, not even Angel Island that is above the clouds in a high altitude, besides in any other shot of the planet we have in the entire series, we never see any islands

If Tails said "orbit", then it's an equal assumption to limit that to the "farthest satellite in our own orbit". This should reasonably mean from ANY point in orbit, because Tails never implies such. Not to mention he has both the technology and intelligence far surpassing anything on our modern day planet, so what the current calculation assumes isn't unreasonable.

not really, we don't know if it would be visible even if came closer, we assumed 0.5 pixel in the death egg because it is the closest Orbit shot we have, we know that this is the absolute closest orbit shot because the stage right after Death Egg, that is Doomsday, happens directly above the atmosphere, where Sonic then enters the said atmosphere by simply traveling down a short distance, so for all intents and purposes, if it was closer then it wouldn't be on the orbit anymore

Alongside this we have other strong points for the planet being bigger
Oh yeah, for elaboration, this is the Lost Hex for those unknowledgeable about Lost World (and I wouldn't blame you kek). This shit is nearly the size of a country and is unable to be seen from a view of the planet and is not common knowledge from the people of said planet, even with such a size being easily visible if the planet was the size of our irl Earth.
I don't think Sonic's planet being bigger than Jupiter is that outlandish of an idea in a verse where only certain animals are anthropomorphic and have a distinct area of the Earth they inhabit, the planet's moon got blown in half with absolutely no consequence, and there's LITERALLY an effing country-sized collection of islands that's been hidden within the skies of the planet hosting the third species on the planet (the Zeti) for like over a thousand years going by Master Zik's age.
alongside the planet housing an anthro animal population and a human population at the same time, with both nearly never interacting on a regular and with the supposedly as big population of animals being nearly exclusively living on said islands across the globe

Back