• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Some questions about calculating planet sizes and even universe size.

Status
Not open for further replies.
BlackeJan said:
@Dragon

Thats not a bad idea at all. Mitch should participate since its HIS calc
I'm not saying the bad part is Mitch participating, I'm saying the bad part is Mitch being the only non staff being allowed to participate.

I'm gonna make a new thread and yeah, people knowledgeable about Fairy Tail can give their opinions, it's not me alone who should support this argument

AGAIN! don't make a new thread. This is pertaining for staff members only and since its Mitch calc then he should participate in it. This is not FT base since this also talks about DB and about the topic in general so no.

EDIT: not only that but most staff even agreed on this....though they havent seen the calc yet again there is no need to

Fairy Tail is very clearly a different case from Dragon Ball tho, and I really only care about the Fairy Tail planet, these two scenarios can't even remotely be compared, not to mention this thread has basically become just about Fairy Tail anyway

No, if anything, this has to be open for any verse. Different franchises can bring different evidence, and this doesn't apply just to FT at all.

Just because it headed in that way doesnt mean its just about it. This is about earth and universe size in general

Also I don't find it very fair that Mitch is the only one allowed to plead his case on this matter, given I was the one who created the OP about the FT Planet surface feat and provided the bulk of the evidence to support the calcuation to begin with.

BlackeJan said:
Thats not a bad idea at all. Mitch should participate since its HIS calc
Usually, the point of a staff only thread is to filter out unnecessary flooding and uncivilized conduct, letting the people who are really dedicated to this community discuss it without major obstructions

Using it to just shut off other people's opinions when they are entirely relevant and important to the discussion solves nothing

In the case of Fairy Tail, which seems to be the main point of discussion here, the statement is pretty stinking direct, and the implications that has for the size of the planet is pretty simple. That means this island is this size, and this is how much landmass it takes up. If that value is contradicted, it's fine to toss out, but if it is not contradicted, we shouldn't arbitrarily ignore pieces of information we have at our disposal to say it's just the size of earth.

In general, if we can measure it, we should only discount it if it is inconsistent and needlessly inflates results, goes for everything. I'm not entirely sure about the DB universe size, I haven't really familiarized myself with what that entails.

@Zack

Then it shoudl be you instead then. M3X should also be another non-memebr participating in it as well but thats it

@DMUA

Its pretty much going to be flooding and its his calc so he should participate/same for M3X so idk how this is shuting others off when he can gather the info. Since you are disagreeing yet the other staff members agree to this then yes this should be staff only

@BlakeJan

Small correction but, it is Mitch's Calc as in he did all the math, but I provided the bulk of the series evidence towards the usage of the feat so if it has to be staff only then Mitch and I should both get a say.

Fine, I'll lay some groundwork for Fairy Tail's Planet being Bigger argument Reasoning for why we shouldn't limit the planet to just Earth's size

• There are completely different continents
  • There is completely different typography
  • There is frickin magic in the world
  • There are plenty of animals and creatures that live on this planet that aren't on earth, like Dragons
  • Earth is by no means the biggest planet, so why can't a fictional planet be bigger than it
  • We are given direct measurement statements that scale the planet to be bigger than Earth's diameter
  • Ishgar alone, which is 1 of 3 continents on the planet has a greater diameter than the Earth
  • There are plenty of consistent maps created by the author that all show that the world at bare minimum is bigger than Earth
  • There are no contradicting statements or measurements
  • It's not like Naruto or Dragon Ball planet calcs, which didn't have literal measurement statements
  • Once again this isn't Earth, so why should it be limited to Earth's size

"pretty much going to be" isn't a very compelling reason to entirely lock the thread off from users, especially when the discussion that will "pretty much" be chaotic is under complete civility and has barely run for 100 posts. You can't just shut off the major source of your opposing opinion on a whim like that. Staff only threads are to stop toxic behavior and derailment. We are just talking about calcs here, no need to insist for several posts that it should be staff only, which, ironically, is causing more of a derailment than the actual non staff members.

DragonEmperor23 said:
Jan, the majority of the Staff members agreed to not calc the size of planets without having reason to believe that the planet is larger than Earth. Which isn't the case for FT as there are in-verse statements of sizes/distances that are what is being used to justify the calcs.
Hence why i said a staff thread only since they didnt see what Mitch had

DragonEmperor23 said:
I don't get why the writer not knowing how large this would make the planet changes the fact that they have inadvertently made the planet larger than Earth with statements made by characters in verse. If an author came onto the site and saw that characters from the verse he made were a higher tier than he thought they were because of a calc, we wouldn't downgrade the characters to the tier that he thinks makes more sense. (In this scenario there is nothing mathematically or logically wrong with the calc, the author just didn't do the math after having characters say specific measurements.)
We do disregard "authors can't do math" stuff if it's not reflected though. Sub SoL flash, 4-A Behemoth (Worm) via a calc that's technically right but what even, these other effects not taking place when it just happens to be much larger as opposed to something that we can reliably say indicates that it's supposed to be would be a lack of presence in the work itself beyond wonky maps, meaning it can be disregarded/.

Well, for example of another verse with a large planet that doesn't have the other effects you mentioned, the planet Toriko takes place on is stated multiple times to be extremely large and the humans that exist there are still recognizable as human.

Yeah but there it's actually stated a bunch of times so it's kinda hard to deny that they knew what they were doing with that one, as opposed to all these calcs that seem to take some map that's probably not meant to be drawn to scale in the first place or is in some fantasy type setting where the accuracy would be questionable anyways and make planet busting tier 4 or whatever it is.

But there's no anti-evidence, and there are actual measurements given, and the author made the maps, I don't know, it just seems like this shouldn't be limited by earth size, since one country is already bigger than 1/3 the actual diameter of earth, which we shouldn't just ignored

Wokistan said:
Yeah but there it's actually stated a bunch of times so it's kinda hard to deny that they knew what they were doing with that one, as opposed to all these calcs that seem to take some map that's probably not meant to be drawn to scale in the first place or is in some fantasy type setting where the accuracy would be questionable anyways and make planet busting tier 4 or whatever it is.
But Toriko is also a fantasy type setting to a degree. Your argument has changed from the planet being that large would change the structure of the beings that exist on it as a reason why FT planet being large doesn't work to it being because there aren't several statements of the planet being large. Them saying the planet is larger multiple times shouldn't mean you should disregard your own logic about the inhabitants not matching what that would look like scientifically.

For the record, I agree with Mitch. IRL Earth's size should apply to those verses with that enviroment. It makes no sense to assume every planet in the universe is as large as ours.

For this case, the only similarity is how Ishgal seems to be Europe, but it's not exactly the same nor are the other continents either.

It's also nonsensical expect that the characters have to state their planet is bigger than ours. For this to work it's needed to have our world introduced in some way to actually make that comparison. Toriko can do it because it world has our continents in the center to prove it.

What I don't even understand is why we are saying using an assumption is somehow more accurate than using a calculated value based on a stated numeric value. Since when is any assumption more accurate than a calc with statements supporting it? I wouldn't calc something using the average height of an 18-year old man if said man is given an in-canon height. Likewise, FT has a directly stated distance with a canon map; we have no reason to assume "Earth-like" when that place isn't even Earth to begin with. Sure, as a base assumption it is fair, however, the place isn't even based off Earth nor does it share a lot of geographical similarities to it. That "Earth-size" assumption should only be used as long as there isn't any direct evidence to suggest otherwise and I think FT is fine on this front.

Regarding the Dragon Ball calculation: I thought that it used our observable universe as a basis, even though it is likely infinite like our own.

While both assuming a planet is the same size as Earth and Calculating the entire planet from a sketch of the planet via pixel scaling are both assumptions and or guess work.

I think the safer bet is to use Earth comparisons so problems such as inflated calcs can be avoided.

Safer, but not accurate, since Fiore (Which is one of the smallest countries in their world) alone is about 1/3 of the entire earth's diameter, so yeah, I agree with being more accurate than safe

Pixel scaling Fiore off a map, using a statement from the manga that defines the distance of two areas on the map

You don't have to apologize 😂, it's just a difference in opinion, no biggee, if the Planet Size gets rejected, that's fine, I just believe that in this circumstance, we can use the calced size

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back