• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.
Isn't that combat speed?
Combat speed needs to be useful for attacking. Either a movement that can be used to attack (i.e. blocking a bullet with a sword), or multiple movements in sequence that could be used in close-quarter exchanges.

Reaction's just a movement or two that you can't really use offensively.

Not just precog, they can react to things much faster than they're capable of reacting to regularly. It's a reactions amp.

Tied to the reactions page, not reaction speed

Consider listing that on the Haki page, ig.

idk what you mean by "reactions page and not reaction speed". The reactions/perceptions page covers reaction speed and perception speed. It's just an elaboration on them, there's not really a separation.

EDIT: I'd also caution that reacting to things better than they could otherwise doesn't mean it's a stat amp. If you can see 5 seconds into the future you can react to things before they happen, which is better than you'd have otherwise, but you haven't actually had your reaction speed increased, you're just able to learn about events earlier.

it's because sentomaru mentions haki, but that was for Luffy's ATTACK instead his dodge. Sentomaru didn't comment on haki when he dodged, but when he one-shotted PX using invisible armament
He blatantly said "Armament Haki", so that's that. Different translations cut out the Buso but the raws quite blatantly say "Color of Armament"

@Kachon123 I don't see how that makes it more likely that he didn't.
Are you being serious?

If something is not seen, implied, or stated, why would we every assume that a character did said thing?

It's even worse than the reason you disagreed with the Brook addition in this CRT.
we don't actually see Brook directly fighting Black Maria at any point, or proof that her injuries were done by him.
At least in Brook's case we see Black Maria with cuts on her forhead, which could be assumed to be caused by Brook, but in this case, we have absolutely nothing that supports Luffy using Kenbun.

He blatantly said "Armament Haki", so that's that. Different translations cut out the Buso but the raws quite blatantly say "Color of Armament"
There ya go.
Only people assume he used kenbun to downplay reactions which he arguably had even pre-ts, just after 2 years were done far, far more effortlessly. Nothing else even hints at it.

@Kachon123 I don't agree that it's not implied.

On a side-note, I think it's a bit funny that you think it is implied that Luffy would use Observation Haki to dodge a bullet, but wouldn't use it to dodge a laser beam.

@Kachon123 I don't agree that it's not implied.

On a side-note, I think it's a bit funny that you think it is implied that Luffy would use Observation Haki to dodge a bullet, but wouldn't use it to dodge a laser beam.
Bullet he wasn't looking at that was behind his head that he never experienced before (didn't know Demaro Black had a laser)* vs a laser that he has dealt years prior and also seconds prior

Usually dodging stuff you're not looking at is signs of Kenbun. See Skypiea

No one is trying to downplay. Quit with the accusations.
Given the fact that if people were to look at the scene for more than 2 minutes, they would realize that Sentomaru's comment on Luffy's haki usage was referring to the Jet Pistol, not dodging the beam, I feel like it's not a far-fetched accusation.

No one is trying to downplay. Quit with the accusations.
I'm sorry, but forcing an interpertation that isn't implied, written, hinted at, spoken of in an outside magazine, mentioned by the author and trying to argue it as 'possible' fact? That's blatant attempt at downplaying.
If someone doesn't believe it's the case then don't talk about it as if it is and move in. If you argue it against all evidence suggesting otherwise.. Come on now.

Given the fact that if people were to look at the scene for more than 2 minutes, they would realize that Sentomaru's comment on Luffy's haki usage was referring to the Jet Pistol, not dodging the beam, I feel like it's not a far-fetched accusation.
Who said Sentomaru's usage of it was for Observation and not Armament?

TBF he used it in Wano when he first landed on the island even though he most definitely didn't need to 😭

luffy-future.gif

TBF he used it in Wano when he first landed on the island even though he most definitely didn't need to 😭

luffy-future.gif
Needed to, he wasn't looking at that bullet, didn't know it was coming till Kenbun told him it was

ooh thanks for the clarification on that then

although does he really need Kenbun for bullets.. 😭

with the speed and senses he has at this point at least

Well, look at it from another perspective. He doesn't need to dodge bullets fired by the Beast Pirates anyway, considering his durability and resistance to blunt force, but he does so anyway.

So he's just using Haki to flex on them.

If we tried to apply our ratings logically to every scene of the manga, Luffy would Za Warudo timestop with his level of speed and walk over to the Beast Pirates before the bullets had crossed a few centimerers from their guns.

Well, look at it from another perspective. He doesn't need to dodge bullets fired by the Beast Pirates anyway, considering his durability and resistance to blunt force, but he does so anyway.

So he's just using Haki to flex on them.
Tbh these dudes got seastone bullets, Luffy's smart enough to know that when a "danger sense" comes in, he should probably listen to it

I doubt he 'needed' to use it. Kenbun is usually an automatic danger sense, so it probably alerts you regardless or not whether you can react to something.
Besides- he came out of an arc vs an observation master, he was spamming it against jail fodder too when he didn't need to. Probably just training it through usage

I doubt he 'needed' to use it. Kenbun is usually an automatic danger sense, so it probably alerts you regardless or not whether you can react to something.
Besides- he came out of an arc vs an observation master, he was spamming it against jail fodder too when he didn't need to. Probably just training it through usage
Pretty much. Maybe Luffy didn't need to use Observation Haki against the Pacifista, and I'm not saying that he 110% needed to and there's no scenario where he couldn't use not used Observation Haki; but Luffy is an experienced user of it at this point and uses it to dodge things as inconsequential as bullets. His casual dodge of the Pacifista's attack (combined with him one-shotting it moments later with Armament Haki) is the implication here as the scene is showing Luffy's mastery of his powers following the timeskip. It's one-two punch of displaying his Haki; the casual dodge for Observation and the casual beat-down with Armament.

@KingTempest I think he was just reposting his request for elaboration from me.

I still think he used Kenbun to dodge the laser. But what if we cannot settle whether he used Kenbun or not?

I still think he used Kenbun to dodge the laser. But what if we cannot settle whether he used Kenbun or not?
Then we assume the default assumption, that he didn’t, since someone with Kenbun didn’t note that he used Kenbun, nothing signifies that he used Kenbun, he didn’t sense it prior, didn’t aimdodge, etc.

The default position, when both options are equally possible, is that it could have been either possibility.

Personally I don't think it makes a great deal of difference either way.

To me it makes little difference.
If it's observation haki Luffy calling light too slow, it's LS for Luffy with kenbun
If not, then it's LS reactions for Luffy without it. Regardless, the at least LS reaction is there for Luffy, as it's written, stated and intended.

Back