• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Gear 5th Luffy: Time-Stop ability addition.

My point will be to show that Luffy apparently has the ability to stop time in the middle of his attacks to finish them in his own way.

Against Saturn.

Firstly, in this scene from the manga, in the midst of Saturn's flying projectiles, Luffy manages to carry out a series of events:

He first reacts to the moving projectile, then stretches his arm and uproots a tree stuck in the ground, then precisely gnaws the tree with his teeth until it takes on the shape of a baseball bat, After this Luffy magically creates a bucket of paint in mid-air, and not only paints the baseball bat, but also puts on a helmet (created from his imagination), assuming the homerun position.

Look at the massive amount of actions that Luffy took at the same time as projectiles flew through the air at maximum speed to hit him. The only logical explanation for this is that Luffy stopped time as a comedy effect, something typically present in cartoon characters with Toonforce. Not just Luffy but all the things he interacted were able to act before Saturn's projectile completed its trajectory, which would be very strange in a case of just a speedblitz feat (Neither the tree nor the paint should be faster than Saturn for example).

Against Rob Lucci.

To reinforce that Luffy can actually stop time, we recently had this in the anime:

In this scene Luffy clearly stops time after landing a kick to Lucci in the middle of his Down Whip (01:15). — We see the gray background, typical of "slow motion" scenes, with the entire environment, from the ground that should be gelatinous, to Rob Lucci completely static with only Luffy moving.

It is important to note that the anime's animators have already stated that before adding scenes, they seek Oda's approval, and whatever is approved is permitted. This has already been discussed on the site, and explained in this thread.

I believe this case is even clearer for a time-stop feat.

Conclusion

Luffy Gear 5th should gain Time-Stop, or limited Time-Stop (since this ability can be considered situational according to the contexts).

Firstly, in this scene from the manga, in the midst of Saturn's flying projectiles, Luffy manages to carry out a series of events:

He first reacts to the moving projectile, then stretches his arm and uproots a tree stuck in the ground, then precisely gnaws the tree with his teeth until it takes on the shape of a baseball bat, After this Luffy magically creates a bucket of paint in mid-air, and not only paints the baseball bat, but also puts on a helmet (created from his imagination), assuming the homerun position.

Look at the massive amount of actions that Luffy took at the same time as projectiles flew through the air at maximum speed to hit him. The only logical explanation for this is that Luffy stopped time as a comedy effect, something typically present in cartoon characters with Toonforce. Not just Luffy but all the things he interacted were able to act before Saturn's projectile completed its trajectory, which would be very strange in a case of just a speedblitz feat (Neither the tree nor the paint should be faster than Saturn for example).
All this requires is for Luffy to be massively faster than the projectiles; not for time to have stopped.

In this scene Luffy clearly stops time after landing a kick to Lucci in the middle of his Down Whip (01:15). — We see the gray background, typical of "slow motion" scenes, with the entire environment, from the ground that should be gelatinous, to Rob Lucci completely static with only Luffy moving.

It is important to note that the anime's animators have already stated that before adding scenes, they seek Oda's approval, and whatever is approved is permitted. This has already been discussed on the site, and explained in this thread.
Again, all this requires is for Luffy to be faster than Lucci in this scene...

We'd need more substanstial evidence to suggest that Luffy is actually pausing and unpausing time.

How are you that is not Luffy moving Very fast, like Fox Quicksilver or DECU Flash kind of fast that things will go slow and grey?

All this requires is for Luffy to be massively faster than the projectiles; not for time to have stopped.
I have several reasons to disagree that this scene is necessarily a speed feat:

1. Luffy was extremely casual when doing this, which is a typical scene when he is using his hax in battle, not his physical atributes.

2. In this scene, Luffy uses his Reality Warping powers, such as creating a can of paint and a helmet. The elements of Toonforce's characteristics are inserted there, so he could pretty much use another of his RW abilities to counter Saturn's attack, and not necessarily his speed.

3. The most important factor: the speed of the things created by Luffy and the tree also followed his own speed. This should disprove the idea of this being a feat of speed, since we know that Saturn's attack was not slow (it generated sonic booms), and ink's speed can never keep up with that.

4. Even though Luffy is actually faster than Saturn, as shown with him being able to paralyze him with one hand and avoid his eye strike, Saturn at other times also hit Luffy, and could pressure him with his own speed. So, it would be very strange for Luffy in a single scene to contradict several others, by showing himself to be at least 100 times faster than Saturn to be able to do all of this in the middle of the attack's trajectory.

Again, all this requires is for Luffy to be faster than Lucci in this scene...
Take a look at the scene and you will see that time has arguably been stopped, both Rob Lucci and the ground that comes from the same powers as Luffy are completely static.

I could reinforce the fact that time has been altered in this scene by the factor that the coloring of the gray background implies this, since in the same episode, in a slow motion scene, this effect occurs again (0:08).

What ? no, that's just him being fast enough to do so. You do know being really fast make the environement and other characther appear to be static or much slower right ?

What ? no, that's just him being fast enough to do so. You do know being really fast make the environement and other characther appear to be static or much slower right ?
The problem with this is that the ground was transformed into rubber by Luffy, and his transmutation always followed his speed, but in this scene it only remained static.

While I want to say that this is simply speed, there's nothing that really suggests that Luffy so much faster than Lucci and Saturn that they would appear static for an extended period of time like that.

3. The most important factor: the speed of the things created by Luffy and the tree also followed his own speed. This should disprove the idea of this being a feat of speed, since we know that Saturn's attack was not slow (it generated sonic booms)
This also makes sense to me. It seems like Luffy was moving in a localized time rather than him moving fast, as if he was, the bat would have made the shockwaves and speed effects it did in the later panel.

Despite that, there's still not enough solid proof provided for granting Luffy time stop, so I'll remain neutral.

Against Rob Lucci we already have enough concrete evidence to say that Luffy stopped time.

1. If it were truly a feat of speed, there would be no reason for the background to be greyish, as this indicates according to the episode a change in the timing of the events occurring on screen, as I showed before.

2. Luffy at least left Rob Lucci static for 5 seconds in the anime, if this was truly a feat of speed then we're guessing that Luffy is so much faster than Lucci that he would see him on slow motion or completely stopped in time, and we know that the difference is not THAT big.

3. Luffy's own power represented by the ground that was transmuted also remained static in this scene. Luffy's transmutation power has never, at any time, been slower than Luffy himself. Not only because it is an extension of the characteristics of Luffy's own body to the environment, but because it is also his battle weapon (with awakening). Assuming that Luffy is absurdly faster than his own awakening power is contradictory to say the least.

It is more rational and less problematic to admit that time was stopped in this scene than that Luffy is massively faster than Lucci and himself, which ends up leading to contradictions with the manga itself.

If he actually did something as unique as time stop, I feel the manga or anime would have specifically mentioned it.
This is not a rule, Trafalgar Law unquestionably has the power to cut space, and neither the manga nor the anime told us that. Some things are implicit and not necessarily explicit (however, the time stop here is obvious). We don't need the author to openly talk about all the abilites that are on screen, just use the brain that each human received and understand what is happening.

1. If it were truly a feat of speed, there would be no reason for the background to be greyish, as this indicates according to the episode a change in the timing of the events occurring on screen, as I showed before.
Artistic choice.

2. Luffy at least left Rob Lucci static for 5 seconds in the anime, if this was truly a feat of speed then we're guessing that Luffy is so much faster than Lucci that he would see him on slow motion or completely stopped in time, and we know that the difference is not THAT big.
Luffy can dodge Lucci in his sleep.

3. Luffy's own power represented by the ground that was transmuted also remained static in this scene. Luffy's transmutation power has never, at any time, been slower than Luffy himself. Not only because it is an extension of the characteristics of Luffy's own body to the environment, but because it is also his battle weapon (with awakening). Assuming that Luffy is absurdly faster than his own awakening power is contradictory to say the least.
I don't see how that's a contradiction.

Yeah, I have to agree with the others. This seems more like speed. I don't see any time stop in those panels.

Edit: By agreeing with others, I mean that I disagree with the original post.

Last edited:
2. In this scene, Luffy uses his Reality Warping powers, such as creating a can of paint and a helmet. The elements of Toonforce's characteristics are inserted there, so he could pretty much use another of his RW abilities to counter Saturn's attack, and not necessarily his speed.
Not evidence of time stop

Like others,
For now, the feats only looks like Luffy being faster. This turn G5 into far faster than other characters in scaling.
Dunno about future. Maybe Oda will explore this form more and make Luffy more wilder in his imagination and start to do it

If it is true, I believe that this scene is stopping of time.
1044-014.png

Because he couldn't react in next scene
1045-009.png

If it is true, I believe that this scene is stopping of time.
1044-014.png

Because he couldn't react in next scene
1045-009.png
One of these is him seeing an attack coming and rolling back to get more time, the other is him taking a point-blank surprise shot.

Back