• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

One Piece General Discussion: Egghead

IT'S JUST TRUTHHHHHHHHHH

Man... It's not fun talking to you guys, it's always the same... Here, talk to this monkey instead
J2VXShVq4rP2Rco50pokq6FFMVXry6Fv.gif
Dude who let this guy join this site? Genuine question, he's just a bot anyway.

Because you know you're incorrect
The thing is, I understand Gear 5th, its story significance, its foreshadowing, and that it's helping to tie things together as we approach the end of One Piece.

But, I think that Gear 5th, at least in my opinion, minimizes some of the journey Luffy went on. I heard someone say Gear 5th was the perfect form for Luffy because, much like all his previous Gears, it's a product of Luffy's own imagination and creativity with his own abilities, although to a much higher extent. But the thing about Gear 5th is, while it does that, and while it ties in to Sun God Nika and connects so many dots, the idea of Luffy having a Sun God fruit this whole time feels as though it cheapens things.

Contrast this with Son Goku. In Dragon Ball Z, when Raditz came to Earth and revealed Goku was a Saiyan, it answered questions such as "why does Goku turn into a massive ape in a full moon?" and "why does Goku have a tail?", but it didn't take anything away from all of the training Goku had done to get to his current level of strength at that time, his battling with rivals, training with various mentors, etc. Ultra Instinct took nothing away from all Goku did, but was more of a culmination of everything Goku had learned and all of his training being brought out autonomously, being foreshadowed earlier in Dragon Ball Super. However, I feel like Gear 5th is more like the wish Bardock made in the manga, and gives me the same types of concerns. For those of you that don't know, in the DBS Manga, it's revealed that Bardock made a wish for his boys to be healthy and well, or something to that effect. People were concerned because they thought that this wish, if it was applied to Goku throughout his whole life, the idea of a wish making sure Goku would get through everything well would invalidate a lot of his struggles, training and growth, retroactively removing the tension out of things like his fights with Frieza, Kid Buu, etc.

This is kind of how I felt after Gear 5th was a thing: "Oh, Luffy had a Sun God devil fruit the whole time." That lowkey means at any time, Luffy could have just gone god mode on an opponent if things went the wrong way. Croc actually kills Luffy on Alabasta? Gear 5th Luffy curbstomps. Lucci mauls him and stops him from rescuing Nico Robin from Enies Lobby? Gear 5th. Ace was too slow and Akainu turns our rubbery boy into a donut? Gear 5th makes Akainu instantly regret it. You see my point? Knowing now that Luffy had the potential to do that when pressed enough kind of makes it seem like he was never in any real danger to begin with.

So yeah, that's why I don't like Gear 5th.

You see my point? Knowing now that Luffy had the potential to do that when pressed enough kind of makes it seem like he was never in any real danger to begin with.

So yeah, that's why I don't like Gear 5th.
But... You only know that when you reach a certain point of the story, you are supposed to grow with the story, not go back with the story...

I mean, it's fine if you don't like G5 Luffy. But I don't think G5 Luffy minimizes some of the journey Luffy went on.

If not for prior knowledge of G3 and G4, who know if he could quickly utilizes his newfound power to enlarge his body and muscles. If not for his knowledge of G2, when Luffy was knocked out of Gear 5th, he would not be able to recover since he would not think of using Gear 2nd blood pump to send more blood to his heart, allowing his "Drums of Liberation" heartbeat to recover his transformation and stamina. If not for his Haki training with Hyogoro, even with all of his creativity and power, he would not have gotten past Kaido's Flame Dragon.

And yeah, Luffy's G5 is powerful, but it is an Awakening and that of a Mythical Zoan's. If any previous DF characters could have access to their Awakening, the fights against them would be very much different. There is also the fact that G5 is very draining and Luffy, as powerful and durable as he is Post-Timeskip, could not last long in the transformation. A Pre-Timeskip Luffy would probably last even less than that.

Unless Luffy knows Crocodile's water weakness, Crocodile still wins hand down, G5 or not, by simply outlasting the sun god and Luffy not being able to touch him. Luffy can't even touch Akainu Pre-Timeskip

Unless Luffy knows Crocodile's water weakness, Crocodile still wins hand down, G5 or not, by simply outlasting the sun god and Luffy not being able to touch him. Luffy can't even touch Akainu Pre-Timeskip
Tho luffy can rubber it or just accidently hit them as a normal person via his imagination, especially crocodile, tho akainu has haki...

I mean, it's fine if you don't like G5 Luffy. But I don't think G5 Luffy minimizes some of the journey Luffy went on.

If not for prior knowledge of G3 and G4, who know if he could quickly utilizes his newfound power to enlarge his body and muscles. If not for his knowledge of G2, when Luffy was knocked out of Gear 5th, he would not be able to recover since he would not think of using Gear 2nd blood pump to send more blood to his heart, allowing his "Drums of Liberation" heartbeat to recover his transformation and stamina. If not for his Haki training with Hyogoro, even with all of his creativity and power, he would not have gotten past Kaido's Flame Dragon.

And yeah, Luffy's G5 is powerful, but it is an Awakening and that of a Mythical Zoan's. If any previous DF characters could have access to their Awakening, the fights against them would be very much different. There is also the fact that G5 is very draining and Luffy, as powerful and durable as he is Post-Timeskip, could not last long in the transformation. A Pre-Timeskip Luffy would probably last even less than that.

G5 lets him touch things that are normally unable to be held like lightning, plus he touched Kaidou's flaming drum dragon and all he did was blow on his hand like he touched the stove on accident. I doubt Akainu would have done much to him but in turn he couldn't do much to Akainu without haki.
Edit: nvm he can turn them into rubber
Edit 2: he can strike Crocodile with lightning and he will turn into glass

Last edited:

I get what you're saying. I just think it has the potential to do that. For example, if you knew someone had godlike power they could tap into for a period in time that's above anything you've ever witnessed/experienced/know of, would you ever be worried for that person? If I could tap into the powers of Superman for like 5 minutes at a time, would you be concerned if even someone like Mike Tyson in his prime decided he wanted to fight me? Probably not.

Fair point about Croc's water weakness, though.

How does that even work in cross verse tho? It says stronger Buso can resist it, but haki isn’t a concept in other verses
If someone from another verse resists teleportation then they would resist Law's teleportation, why would haki being a concept in other verses matter?

If someone from another verse resists teleportation then they would resist Law's teleportation, why would haki being a concept in other verses matter?
Not what I mean, I mean what if another character that HAS Spatial Manip were to fight a character with Haki, we wouldn’t be able to tell if he could resist it or not

Not what I mean, I mean what if another character that HAS Spatial Manip were to fight a character with Haki, we wouldn’t be able to tell if he could resist it or not
Sure we would, Haki would resist it unless that other verse's spatial manipulation was more layered or whatever; can work on people even with resistance to the ability.

If haki resists Law's spatial abilities, spatial hax on Law's level from other characters would also be resisted. Simple as that.
It's not a fruit weakness, it's a haki advantage. You don't overcome Law's ability by having higher dura or AP, but haki resistance specifically.

Not really lol, if I see something that looks odd I’ll ask abt it
You can ask the exact same question with Chakra, Ki plus much more.... Yes Really lol

It looks odd because it's one piece and just because not many people understand it (one piece abilities and power)

Humans tend to follow the general public's decision about things but forgot most of the are kids

You can ask the exact same question with Chakra, Ki plus much more.... Yes Really lol

It looks odd because it's one piece and just because not many people understand it (one piece abilities and power)

Humans tend to follow the general public's decision about things but forgot most of the are kids
Monkey being really Monkey.

Btw, didn't Zoro use Asura + Haoshoku in the newest film?

If so, since IIRC it's confirmed that all abilities in the film are canon to the characters, wouldn't that make Asura+Haoshoku Zoro canon?

Back