• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

One Piece Discussion Thread Fourteen Marineford

The shanks stuff is pretty clear cut imo at this point;

- Everytime he's taken on a top tier he's immediately gone got his sword (whitebeard, Shanks and the navy), also take into account that with what we are know and have seen with Haki none of the advanced abilities would require non-sword usage and in fact only would be amplified using a sword.

- was challenged by Mihawk and even still as a Yonko assumed Mihawk was still coming to dual him; Mihawk considers Shanks a swordsman and Shanks acknowledges this.

Don't know if there was anything else, but overall I think it's more likely Shanks is a swordsman than not.

True.

On different note, how long do you think the title of Yonko has existed?

Cause if it existed prior to the BM, Kaido, Shanks and WB iteration of Yonko I wonder who the Yonko where before the current ones, maybe something like WB, Roger, Shiki and someone else (Dont know who).

Anyways, as of the latest chapter, WB and Roger are both (finally) confirmed to be users of Goken. It can be applied to their profiles now.

That's all I'll say on the matter until the chapter is released :)

Also, as a side note: Hopefully those who read this chapter can finally understand that Oden is not equal to "Prime" WB in any way.

Giving Goken to both Roger and Shirohige seems correct, at least the first stage, not the level Luffy mastered.

We have to wait for actual confirmation about Teach. The source now is Buggy, and no clown is a reliable narrator.

The chapter was amazing. This is what I love about One Piece: it's an unpredictable adventure where we can discover and learn about a world's history.

Finally seeing Roger doing anything is hype. We finally can see, albeit a bit vainilla-ish, Roger's adventure into the Sky Island, a clash with Shirohige and a bit of the daily interactions in his crew.

@The Calaca - I guess you have a point, though Blackbeard's stamina should be updated to include that as a kid, he could stay awake for 3-4 days straight

I find it really strange how much Doffy and Kata were hyped up but a Luffy who beat them was an insect to a yonko.

In the grand scheme of things they're nobodies which is kind of sad since they are such great characters.

@Kobster that's true. However, it's weird that this has been hinted just now and not before, when we had his prior crewmember fellows cursing at him or in some flashbacks.

Staying awaken for 3 days is interesting tho. I think we might be about to see the most resilient character.

Oh yeah, we got two impressive looking feats from this chapter

• Roger and Whitebeard's clash, which was able to disperse/push back the clouds around them
  • Whitebeard doing his infamous sea distortion/sea quake thing

I noticed the cloud dispersion, but the landscape wasn't covered in clouds as it was at the end of the fight, so it's not useful.

Do we know how to calc the sea quake?

CinCameron20 said:
Also, as a side note: Hopefully those who read this chapter can finally understand that Oden is not equal to "Prime" WB in any way.
What did you get this from ?

Even WB would be a bit bloodied up from a hit like Oden took. I think it's an impressive durability feat.

Roger, WB and Oden seemed to respect each other as equals which is why they were sitting together.

We don't know how much effort Roger put when he dispatched Oden. This and the previous chapter prove that Oden isn't comparable to them and can easily be overpowered by them if they feel like it.

For all we know, Roger could be playing with him.

Heck, even Rayleigh and Gaban weren't affected by the idea of fighting Oden, and they might not be as strong as Shirohige, let alone Roger.

But we can conclude that this is Roger's and Newgate's primes.

He still tanked a named attack with the super-Haki and everything. He deserves a 6B dura rating. If Jozu who is a lot weaker than Aokiji can bloody him up a bit with a unnamed surprise attack, a named surprise attack by your equal will do some serious damage. And I don't at all get what you mean when you're talking about the last chapter ? Oden saying "the power".

Speaking of gaban, he seemed like a swordsman too... were the Roger pirates the crew of swordsmen !

Using a named attack isn't the best way of measuring a character's power. Oden stood up but Roger was going playful at him.

And yes, Oden stating that the sea was full of things beyond his imagination, including Newgate's power.

6-B is about to be removed so let's stop all this talk about it and just enjoy the chapter please.

It was a wonderful chapter and I will likely go back and read it again when I have more time to dissect all of Goda's little add ins about the history.

Sidenote Marco is still considered a apprentice here despite having the phoinex fruit and being 20 years old. Food for thought.

It's amazing that Ace was able to become a commander at such a young age.

@fix: I mean the whole point of this chapter was powerlevels but Ok.

6-B won't be removed for a while, but hopefully in future arcs there will be more evidence to discredit it.

Overall regardless of what the rating will actually be in the end (whether 6-B or not) Oden should still scale to the top tiers like Roger and whitebeard (assuming Roger and Whitebeard don't end up with a feat that only those two scale 2) since Oden did clash with Whitebeard regardless if it was his full strength, took a named attack from Roger and is the only one so far to have scarred Kaido.

Well, I know AoE ain't everything of course, but we just witnessed a clash between two of the strongest characters in the entire verse, and it only produced a huge amount of wind pressure with barely any environmental damage.

That's a pretty meh feat.

I feel like that's just Oda being modest with his characters strength, we might get to see some more destructive feats later on.

Damage3245 said:
Well, I know AoE ain't everything of course, but we just witnessed a clash between two of the strongest characters in the entire verse, and it only produced a huge amount of wind pressure with barely any environmental damage.
That's a pretty meh feat.
They distortion the space/time himself(sword of Roger and Whitebeard weapon bends) just via a normal casual clash, no df power, just advanced CoA form. Either Roger or Whitebeard don´t going all out, otherwise nothing of this island would be left.

Back