• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The map's not suitable for pixelscaling, but it does still show that they're close to each other.
In the grand scheme of things*, not that they're jumping distance from one another
Plus we know that they're close to each other because Kizaru's ships could travel back and forth between Marineford and Sabaody extremely quickly. (And Law's submarine could make it to Marineford from Sabaody quickly too)
I could've sworn that One Piece ship speeds as antifeats for distances and sizes already got shat on.

They have marines taking a few days to get from the red line to Wano and less than a day to get over the calm belt, both ginormous distances even if we used earth sized planets, or people taking less than an hour to cross the gargantuan red line which should be so much wider than it is

Doesn't mean much

In the grand scheme of things*, not that they're jumping distance from one another

I could've sworn that One Piece ship speeds as antifeats for distances and sizes already got shat on.

They have marines taking a few days to get from the red line to Wano and less than a day to get over the calm belt, both ginormous distances even if we used earth sized planets, or people taking less than an hour to cross the gargantuan red line which should be so much wider than it is

Doesn't mean much
speaking of, has anyone even calced the speed of one piece ships? i feel like that'd be useful

Its typical fictional time travel/teleporting when its convenient. Oda cant do a mini timeskip whenever he wants anyone to go anywhere.

And we shouldn't discount the fact that there's super currents from Sabaody to MF to Impel down that make ships travel at far greater speeds as well. Using travel distance/time for that specific area is unreliable in general.

Something to point out about Tsuru's statement, it appears to contextualized by the conflict in its entirety. She makes that statement after observing the conflict in general, not in response to anything WB or Gura Gura related. Which to me indicates a strong possibility that she could be claiming that there is no running from this conflict between the WB pirates and the Navy. Which would be consistent with the fact that the WB pirates would go to any length to save Ace.
I don't think anyone has responded to this post by Arc7.

In the context for the statement which is the main evidence here, Chapter 553 is showing the Whitebeard Pirates begin their assault and firing cannons at the Marines.

This is then followed up by the Vice Admirals coming to the front lines.

Vice Admiral Tsuru is among them as she is told be Vice Admiral Yamakaji to get back which is when she gives her statement.

Nothing about this is specifically about Whitebeard's Devil Fruit. She doesn't say that the reason why won't be safe is because she'll be hit by a quake from Whitebeard anywhere on the entire planet. I think it's a pretty generous interpretation of her words, personally and not enough for a solid Stellar range upgrade.

@Deceived3596 proposed a Possibly rating for it, and I can agree to that at most.

@Deceived3596 proposed a Possibly rating for it, and I can agree to that at most.
Screenshot_2023-09-12_2.48.18_PM.png

Nice, glad we can come to some sort of agreement for this thread.

I haven't been counted for the polls but I agree with this most counter arguments are headcanons or miss interpretations of something

In anyway common Kachon W

I don't think anyone has responded to this post by Arc7.

In the context for the statement which is the main evidence here, Chapter 553 is showing the Whitebeard Pirates begin their assault and firing cannons at the Marines.

This is then followed up by the Vice Admirals coming to the front lines.

Vice Admiral Tsuru is among them as she is told be Vice Admiral Yamakaji to get back which is when she gives her statement.

Nothing about this is specifically about Whitebeard's Devil Fruit. She doesn't say that the reason why won't be safe is because she'll be hit by a quake from Whitebeard anywhere on the entire planet. I think it's a pretty generous interpretation of her words, personally and not enough for a solid Stellar range upgrade.

Ok thats one scan out of what, 10?

Ok thats one scan out of what, 10?
I've already addressed the others earlier in the thread. I don't think the Kanji argument is conclusive for a solid rating either, and the Blackbeard statement is easily hyperbolic in nature. He's drunk off his own power and boasting after just declaring that he'll conquer the world with his power. Spouting off phrases like "I can destroy everything" is not completely solid otherwise we'd give the Emperor unlimited AP.

Eh, this seems more like hyperbolic language to me, we’ve seen the effects of his earthquakes ripple outwards across the planet, but not sure that directly translates to WB’s range

that quite literally translates to his range. remember, wb's main ability is vibrations, not earthquakes
It still has to be their typical, combat-effective range however. Light - for example - can travel in a vacuum indefinitely and cross vast interstellar distances. Should Kizaru's laser beams have Interstellar range?

It still has to be their typical, combat-effective range however. Light - for example - can travel in a vacuum indefinitely and cross vast interstellar distances. Should Kizaru's laser beams have Interstellar range?
the difference is kizaru's light hasnt been demonstrated to have this range, whitebeard's range has been displayed on screen

Yes, if he can attack people in other parts of space, it'll work.

If you shoot a bullet in space, it'll go on indefinitely because nothings stop its movement.

This is a heavily uneducated counter. If somebody's light can travel interstellar distances based on science, then they can travel those distances

You have a tendency of bringing up a high ass stat that nobody asked about or cares about, being wrong about it, and saying "does this mean we should do this?"

Whitebeard's quakes affecting other people by creating quakes that hurt that far is directly correlated to his range.

@KingTempest; calling it "heavily uneducated" is pretty dismissive tbh. My point is that we don't do such things for other characters just because it is scientifically possible for their abilities to reach that far. We go primarily by their feats.

Yes, earthquakes can travel across vast distances simply by nature... Just like how light can travel incredible distances by nature. It doesn't mean Whitebeard can launch an effective attack at someone on the other side of the planet. And likewise I wouldn't say that anyone with a laserbeam automatically gets range that high; I'd see what they can actually hit with the laserbeam first.

@KingTempest; calling it "heavily uneducated" is pretty dismissive tbh. My point is that we don't do such things for other characters just because it is scientifically possible for their abilities to reach that far. We go primarily by their feats.
Nah we can and do if science backs it up enough. Unfortunately for lasers we never see where they go out or they just end up exploding, so that doesn't count
Yes, earthquakes can travel across vast distances simply by nature... Just like how light can travel incredible distances by nature. It doesn't mean Whitebeard can launch an effective attack at someone on the other side of the planet. And likewise I wouldn't say that anyone with a laserbeam automatically gets range that high; I'd see what they can actually hit with the laserbeam first.
Dude can send earthquakes and tsunamis to people far away. If it affects them then it's part of the range

If Kizaru's light beams can go that far without dissipating or dispersing, yes.

Do we count chain reactions as range? Like what are the specifics of what counts as someone’s effective attack range

Can we just compromise with the "possibly" rating proposed by me?

This back and forth isn't going anywhere, the arguments made by the pro-side aren't convincing the anti-side and the arguments made by the anti-side aren't convincing the pro-side. It's an exercise in futility from both sides.

I'm fine with a possibly, it just seems like every argument is being thrown at it to stop it from going through

Over 170 messages passed before the new argument of "range from quakes ain't range" was put into fruition

Can we just compromise with the "possibly" rating proposed by me?

This back and forth isn't going anywhere, the arguments made by the pro-side aren't convincing the anti-side and the arguments made by the anti-side aren't convincing the pro-side. It's an exercise in futility from both sides.
I'm fine with that. My arguments against the OP are against a solid range upgrade. I won't deny that there's ways to interpret certain statements, but not enough to convince me of a full rating.

Grace is about to end. Currently 2 staff members disagree, 1 staff member is fine with possibly rating, and 5 staff members agree (excluding cgms and content mods. Including them they number bumps up to 8).

Once grace ends in approximately 1 hour, I'll ask for this to be closed and I'll apply the changes if nothing changes.

Two staff members have said that they're fine with a Possibly rating (myself and KT). I'd like for the other staff members to comment if they support a full rating for the range or a possibly rating due to the lack of supporting feats.

@DarkDragonMedeus @Elizhaa @LordTracer @Maverick_Zero_X @Duedate8898

Just because grace ends doesn't mean it has to be applied immediately is there is still ongoing discussion.

Hopefully they comment in time.
As I mentioned above:

Just because grace ends doesn't mean it has to be applied immediately is there is still ongoing discussion. 48 hours is the minimum threshold, not an "Instant apply the CRT once this time has passed."

As I mentioned above:

Just because grace ends doesn't mean it has to be applied immediately is there is still ongoing discussion. 48 hours is the minimum threshold, not an "Instant apply the CRT once this time has passed."
Is there a page that says this?

Two staff members have said that they're fine with a Possibly rating (myself and KT). I'd like for the other staff members to comment if they support a full rating for the range or a possibly rating due to the lack of supporting feats.
Not exactly correct, KT supports a full rating but said that a possibly is fine if the compromise is needed (Edit: Ninja'd)

And frankly, I don't think it's needed given the overwhelming staff support

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back