• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey everybody, this thread is meant for the revising of Whitebeard and Blackbeard's ranges. Please do not discuss the Attack Potency tied to him having this specific range, as that is not the purpose of this thread.

Whitebeard and Blackbeard can effect the entirety of the One Piece planet with the Gura Gura no Mi via Earthquakes and Tsunamis.

Proofs:

1. Tsuru

Seeing Whitebeard's might, the Vice Admirals urged Tsuru to go back to the safety of the ice block. She responded saying that that even at the "very ends of the ocean, [there exists] no safe haven" to shield her from the effects of the Gura Gura no Mi. This holds particular significance because Tsuru belongs to the same era as Sengoku and Garp, having undergone training alongside them within the ranks of the Marines. Consequently, it is highly likely that she has a deeper understanding of the Gura Gura no Mi's capabilities than most, via her observations of Whitebeard's battles with Garp, Sengoku, and/or Roger.

2. Blackbeard

After consuming the Gura Gura no Mi, Blackbeard said that with it he felt as though he could control the entire world. He then proceeds to outline his plan, which involves wreaking havoc on Marineford via earthquakes and tsunamis. The significance of this statement lies in Blackbeard's interpretation of "controlling the world" in this context, as it relies on his ability to effect the entire planet using the Gura Gura no Mi, as evidenced by his intentions towards Marineford. Considering Blackbeard's past affiliation with Whitebeard's crew (a crew mate or several decades), it's reasonable to assume that he has knowledge of the fruit's capabilities, making this statement highly credible.

3. Comparing Ancient Weapons and Gura Gura No Mi

The particular kanji used for the Gura Gura no Mi's "Power to Destroy the World" (used in a plethora material, from the manga, to novels, and even all the way to game promotions): "世界を滅ぼしうる力!!!" is the exact same as the kanji used for Ancient Weapons. This is important because not only have we seen a weapon that has been noted to be similar to the destruction that can be caused by an Ancient Weapon have worldwide effects, but the wording of Ancient Weapons being able to sink the world are identical to the wording of Blackbeard saying that he would sink Marineford as an example to what he could do to the world.

Support:

1. Reaction of the People

Chapter 550, opens by showing us a global perspective, showcasing people from various areas eagerly anticipating the start of the Paramount War. Among these reactions, two stand out as particularly significant: one involving people in the North Blue and another featuring a lady from the Grand Line. Starting with the people from the North Blue, their discussion hints at the possibility of the world not remaining intact at the war's conclusion. This conversation alludes to a scenario where the Whitebeard Pirates win the war, suggesting that Whitebeard's powers via the Gura Gura no Mi could extend its devastating effects to regions as distant as the North Blue. Shifting focus to the woman in the Grand Line, her actions show anxiety and fear about the potential outcome of the war. She's shown praying for protection from Whitebeard's powers in a similar hypothetical scenario, one where the Navy faces defeat, and the world faces the prospect of widespread destruction.

A counterargument that may be raised against using these reactions as supporting evidence could be that since these individuals don't have a real understanding of the extent of the Gura Gura no Mi's power, their reactions hold little to no substantial weight in confirming its reach. However, this line of argumentation fails to acknowledge the narrative significance of this particular scene. Oda would not have incorporated this scene into the story without a compelling reason. It serves as a narrative device to show the catastrophic potential of the Gura Gura no Mi and to foreshadow what could've happened had he won the war, even in the minds of people who are simply speculative of his strength.

2. Chapter 564's Title

The title of Chapter 564 is quite literally "The Man Who Shakes the World." It kicks off with Whitebeard entering the battle, unleashing shockwaves that reverberate throughout Marineford, and causing the island and the surrounding seas to tilt dramatically. This chapter's title and content collectively suggest that the Gura Gura no Mi's power to create shockwaves, induce earthquakes, and incite tsunamis goes beyond immediate island-level impacts; it points toward its potential to effect the entire planet on a grand scale. This is even further supported by the fact that a relatively small quake had such far-reaching effects that it was felt from a distant island and even prompted fear among the island's wildlife.

3. Databook Deep Blue

Databook Deep Blue, similarly to Chapter 564's Title, flat-out states that Whitebeard has the power to shake the world with his Devil Fruit.

Conclusion:

The Gura Gura no Mi's power can effect the entire world, and because of that, both Whitebeard and Blackbeard should have the range section of their profiles updated from "Hundreds of Kilometers" to "Stellar."

Agree: KingTempest, Maverick_Zero_X, DarkDragonMedeus, Elizhaa, LordTracer
Disagree
: Damage3245, Duedate8898
Neutral
: ByAsura

Last edited by a moderator:
MUAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Just kidding.

FINALLY it's out.

I already saw this, so I agree wholeheartedly

After consuming the Gura Gura no Mi, Blackbeard said that with it he felt as though he could control the entire world. He then proceeds to outline his plan, which involves wreaking havoc on Marineford via earthquakes and tsunamis. The significance of this statement lies in Blackbeard's interpretation of "controlling the world" in this context, as it relies on his ability to effect the entire planet using the Gura Gura no Mi, as evidenced by his intentions towards Marineford. Considering Blackbeard's past affiliation with Whitebeard's crew (a crew mate or several decades), it's reasonable to assume that he has knowledge of the fruit's capabilities, making this statement highly credible.
Consistent with BB saying twice afterwards he could destroy everything supporting that the quake fruit can work on a global scale.
The particular kanji used for the Gura Gura no Mi's "Power to Destroy the World" (used in a plethora material, from the manga, to novels, and even all the way to game promotions): "世界を滅ぼしうる力!!!" is the exact same as the kanji used for Ancient Weapons.
The official japanese website uses the same wording too. If it wasn't obvious, I agreee with the OP; excellent work!

Aight so can't an earthquake travel straight through the planet in this case or at least the upper layers of it, lowering the range significantly?

I think believing that Blackbeard was referring to shaking the planet is an inference. He could be referring to something like: "I'm so powerful now that I feel capable of conquering the world".

I don't think the blue deep databook is that reliable too (iirc, that databook confirmed that Sabo was dead). Btw, you're trying to scaling feats by kanji? I've never seen this before and it seems very very strange. Even why, in the chapter where the Mother Flame was used it is also said that there has never been an earthquake of the same proportions recorded before — This should refute Tsuru's point completely as well, since she would record WB's earthquakes watching his fights with Roger and Garp. She probably used hyperbole or assumption.

I'm neutral for now.

I think believing that Blackbeard was referring to shaking the planet is an inference. He could be referring to something like: "I'm so powerful now that I feel capable of conquering the world".
He blatantly states afterwards he can "Destroy" everything with the quake fruit and engulf everything with the darkness fruit. He makes like 2 statements of destroying the world, and then 1 of controlling it.
I don't think the blue deep databook is that reliable too (iirc, that databook confirmed that Sabo was dead).
That was databook green.
Blue Deep is perfectly reliable and even confirmed urouge's DF.
Btw, you're trying to scaling feats by kanji? I've never seen this before and it seems very very strange.
"Kanji scaling" in this case matters. Japanese language can differentiate words for flowerly language/metaphorical wording and LITERAL meanings. Such as words for 'dimensions' (like in chapter 1069) being used literally whereas the metaphorical wording would be different. You can have two "destroy the world" statements in english but in japanese their meaning is different entirely.
In this case "destroy the world" is used and written in the same vain as the ancient weapons, which we know (based on mother flame, and shirahoshi hypothetically drowning the planet) is a literal world ending occurence. The kanji being shared implies he can affect the planet at least to the range extent that the Ancient weapons do.
Mother Flame was used it is also said that there has never been an earthquake of the same proportions recorded before — This should refute Tsuru's point completely as well, since she would record WB's earthquakes watching his fights with Roger and Garp. She probably used hyperbole or assumption.
No one said his quakes had to be comparable at all.
We're measuring distance, not destructive power. The range for his quakes can match without said quakes having the power to permanently raise the sea levels by 1 meter permanently.

Quick question: what’s the implication or statement that this is with a single attack? I think that’s a rather important presupposition built into the claim made by the OP, and worth discussing. Especially since we have these FTL characters capable of attacking at FTL speeds. To explain further what I mean by that, other world destroying weapons like mother flame took 6 days or sumn for the effects of the attack to hit the OP planetary ranges, a character moving at light speed could reach the sun from earth in 8 minutes. Point being that these super fast characters don’t need a massive attack to deal massive amounts of damage via smaller attacks at an insanely quick time scale. The reason I ask this is because BB says that he’ll control the whole world by starting with Marineford, which to me indicates some kind of progression, as in BB goes from one place to another, destroying them all until the world is destroyed. So I guess what I’m really asking is, what’s the proof that the Gura Gura no Mi’s “world destroying power” is by virtue of a single attack spanning the entire planet as opposed to multiple attacks that cover far less range but happen in very quick succession?

1. Tsuru

Seeing Whitebeard's might, the Vice Admirals urged Tsuru to go back to the safety of the ice block. She responded saying that that even at the "very ends of the ocean, [there exists] no safe haven" to shield her from the effects of the Gura Gura no Mi. This holds particular significance because Tsuru belongs to the same era as Sengoku and Garp, having undergone training alongside them within the ranks of the Marines. Consequently, it is highly likely that she has a deeper understanding of the Gura Gura no Mi's capabilities than most, via her observations of Whitebeard's battles with Garp, Sengoku, and/or Roger.
Tsuru in this case sure seems to be speaking pretty hyperbolically since we can see the effects of the Marineford War for ourselves and they don't appear to be as far-reaching as she hypes them up to be. There are no global quakes or signs of destruction. We only get one shot of an unknown island at unknown distance away from Marineford being shown to shake a little, and even Sabaody Archipelago which is near to Marineford is threatened with a tsunami a long while after the war starts - and that tsunami evidently does very little damage since the archipelago is fine and intact after the war.

She is not talking literally about fleeing to the ends of the earth... That isn't an option when the battle is already underway and she's in the middle of it.

2. Blackbeard

He can "control the entire world" because he sees himself as the most powerful person alive. He declares it to be "his era" after he acquires Whitebeard's DF. I think it's extremely generous to think he's saying that the Gura Gura no Mi can physically manipulate the entire planet at once.

3. Comparing Ancient Weapons and Gura Gura No Mi

The particular kanji used for the Gura Gura no Mi's "Power to Destroy the World" (used in a plethora material, from the manga, to novels, and even all the way to game promotions): "世界を滅ぼしうる力!!!" is the exact same as the kanji used for Ancient Weapons. This is important because not only have we seen a weapon that has been noted to be similar to the destruction that can be caused by an Ancient Weapon have worldwide effects, but the wording of Ancient Weapons being able to sink the world are identical to the wording of Blackbeard saying that he would sink Marineford as an example to what he could do to the world.
We don't even know the full capabilities of the Ancient Weapons yet in truth, so I wouldn't depend on this.

It's worth noting that the after-effects of the weapon used by Imu to destroy Lulusia was described as having no parallel in recorded history - which at least indicates that the Gura Gura no Mi users aren't causing global earthquakes at any point in time. None of the quakes used in the battle of Marineford or afterwards are as powerful as that.

No one said his quakes had to be comparable at all.
We're measuring distance, not destructive power. The range for his quakes can match without said quakes having the power to permanently raise the sea levels by 1 meter permanently.
Really? Are you sure this thread has nothing to do with destructive power and that a CRT won't be proposed saying "If the Gura Gura no Mi can make an earthquake that can be felt on the opposite side of the planet to the user, then the Gura Gura no Mi must be 5-C"?

The argument of “they have the exact same kanji wording” strikes me as a rather weak point too the more I think about it. For example, both “Cell can destroy the world” and “nuclear warfare can destroy the world” can be phrased with the exact same kanji for “can destroy the world”, yet mean completely different things based on the context. In DBZ you got people weaker than Cell fracturing planets far beyond their GBE, while nukes simply make the planet uninhabitable and ease the surface. So looking at this scenario, considering the Mother Flame as an earthquake is objectively superior to the Gura Gura earthquakes, I find it incorrect to use the fact that they’re worded the same to imply the effects of Mother Flame are scalable to the Gura Gura in any way (that being range in this instance).

I feel it’s pretty… strange to say to not bring up AP for an ability that explicitly relies on range for AP. Like, if range gets upgraded, so will AP, so why would it not be taken care of in the same thread?

It’s not “shonen brain” or anything, it’s pretty clear what the meaning of this CRT results in, so why not allow the discussion of it?

I feel it’s pretty… strange to say to not bring up AP for an ability that explicitly relies on range for AP. Like, if range gets upgraded, so will AP, so why would it not be taken care of in the same thread?

It’s not “shonen brain” or anything, it’s pretty clear what the meaning of this CRT results in, so why not allow the discussion of it?
There should be a baseline laid out and accepted before people are meant to put effort into making calcs for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back