• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

One Piece Chapter 996: "The Island of the strongest" (Official Release)

Eminiteable

He/Him
Early chapter this week.

Wednesday - Thursday the thread will be updated with fan translations for chapter and on Friday the official release will be out.

No Break next week

Link to the chapter:Viz, Mangaplus

Spoilers could potentially be discussed in this thread, also try not to derail this thread.

Last edited:
Looks VERY interesting.

So Yamato might have a Dragon type mythical Zoan of her own, which is awesome.

Robin and Law finding a poneglyph could lead to some insane lore reveals.

Seems like Sanji is being set up to fight Black Maria, which sounds funny tbh.

And Luffy and the others are seemingly drawing close to the rooftop. I wonder if they'll be there on time to watch some of the scabbards get killed.

Hope this will be similar to Enies Lobby with the black Maria stuff, need Sanji Vs Queen.

Yeah, I hope it's not his ACTUAL final fight of the arc. I wanted him to fight Queen or King (King vs Sanji actually kinda makes sense because their abilities are very compatible; two flying fire users after all). But who knows, maybe Black Maria will surprise us and turn out to be insanely powerful, though I doubt it with how little set up she's had.

Yup, I think a lot of us called Franky vs Sasaki (he ran in that direction with Haccha in the earlier chapter anyways). Would've been quite underwhelming for Yamato to be stopped by a Tobi Roppo given his hype and current feats. What IS underwhelming is the fact that even the "sober" Numbers are practically useless since--again--a Number has been one-shot. They're no different from the typical Headliners at this point.

Also, a few of us have been thinking that Yamato's DF might be a Mythical form of an Oni or an Ogre. I'm really hoping it's not another Dragon.

I'm wondering if Law's ROOM slices can work on the Poneglyph despite them being indestructible. It could be a way to permanently damage the Poneglyphs after stealing rubbings to ensure the Yonko can no longer try to use them.

Kid and Killer are on the 3rd floor, so I suspect they might be intercepted by Queen if he actually decides to take a peek behind him.

Jinbe is likely going to be the only one with Luffy to confront King if Sanji literally breaks off to go see Maria... ugh. So Jinbe vs King unless someone else joins in.

Sanji better not have another Kalifa incident with Black Maria. I will lose the little respect I have for him if that's the case.

Big Mom betraying Kaido seems very likely if she is indeed saying she has "business where he is"

Jinbe Vs King, fire Vs water would be cool. I suspect he'll lose to hype up King since besides standing around and looking cool he hasn't really had a good combat feat to set him up above the rest like the other 1st commanders.

I'm sort of hoping Queen read a report on Sanji and since he has an interest in Judge (and of course Sanji) he's using Maria to lure Sanji away from Luffy and Jinbe, this is what I hope.

Oh also we have a solid scaling for the Scabbards now, they're stronger than Boundman Luffy (from start of Wano) since they're able to somewhat take thunder Bagua attacks;

Kaido himself is bringing his mace back for a full swing & his expression is serious unlike the one he used against Luffy.

It's clear they're not tanking the attack, but, they aren't getting one hit KO'd and are taking versions of the attack that looks to be stronger than the one used against Luffy.

Someone said that Sanji's reaction is similar to his reaction to the Okama's, potentially Ivankov and the revolutionaries have showed up in Wano but we will have to wait and see.

Edit: also apparently the character he heard has the same laugh as ivankov.

Last edited:
Also, a few of us have been thinking that Yamato's DF might be a Mythical form of an Oni or an Ogre. I'm really hoping it's not another Dragon.
Why would he have an Oni fruit when he is already an Oni by birth? I rather he had no Devil Fruit at all. Can't tell whose teeth those were.

Looks VERY interesting.

So Yamato might have a Dragon type mythical Zoan of her own, which is awesome.
I am not against it but I would prefer that she had a Tiger's DF to parallel the mythology of the Tiger against the Dragon (In this case, she and Kaido). Because I still think they will fight.

Usopp+Tama Combo didn't happen, either the Kibidangos don't work in original zoans or Oda is saving it another moment, i don't think any moment will be better than this one, tho.

Tiger Yamato would be nice and make sense, the fangs looked more feline than anything else to me (and i have no doubt it was Yamato, the hair is the same, and there is no one else around), i really wanted Who's Who to have it tho, and Yamato to have a T-Rex fruit.

But there is something i didn't understand, Sasaki is presumably the strongest of the F6, and having spent some time within the Beast Pirates crew, and knowing who Yamato is, going by the F6 reunion many chapters ago, why he is so surprised with Yamato's strength, but at the same time says something like "you will need to fight me seriously to win"? He didn't show confidence to win at any moment, but should he really be that surprised? He is Kokoro's son confirmed btw.

Other than that, Law was amazing here, even if he didn't do much, and as always, i think Kid and Killer have the best "in-crew interactions", excluding the Straws, obviously, we don't see much of the other crews, anyway, and i don't like Law's crew much.

Big Mom felt out of place in this chapter, the only utility of that page was seeing Chopper is already ~50% Ice Oni, so he will probably be unable to create the antidote, Marco will be the hero it seems.

Scabbards nearly fully defeated, i like it because it shows Kaido is by no way weak, having fought 9 characters that are "in his level", but it is a bit sad to know Oda wants this monster to be defeated by Luffy still in Wano.

And Sanji, his face, it was by no way his haki finding a nice Mellorine in a radius of less than 150,000km, which would be easily crossed in 1 second by his 50% of light speed movement speed, it was an Okama, i am sure of that, and that can mean two things: Revos in Wano or... Sanji will fight an Okama and use Okama Kenpo. Both are perfectly acceptable outcomes.

@XDragnoir - Usopp's incapacitated. Him being able to continue fighting effectively would make Ulti look like a total joke. Granted, he pulled off one last attack with Chopper in Alabasta while in roughly the same condition, so it seems strange they would run. I forgot that O-tama only took control of Smile users, so I'll hold my breath until a genuine Zoan user is affected.

I still think Yamato is going to be something akin to an Ogre/Oni whether that be a Devil Fruit, or similar to a physical transformation Dellinger undertook if Kaido is--indeed--a type of Ogre race and not human.

The translations are currently iffy, but Sasaki definitely had a moment of confidence when seeing that Yamato was "Weakened" by prioritizing the safety of the others. He is basically telling Yamato that she can not defeat him while simultaneously protecting them--but he seems to realize he's out of his depth when hearing Yamato growl his name in anger/annoyance, and beginning some type of transformation.
  • Sasaki scared of Yama -> Yama protecting Shinobu/Momo -> Sasaki implies to exploit S/M to beat Yama -> Yama directly threatens Sasaki -> Sasaki snaps back to reality.

I'm quite happy to see Law taking interest in the Road Poneglyphs and the Will of D. I'm hoping we get more info on the One Piece soon.

The Scabbards are not on Kaido's level, and it's made clear by him beating them down relentlessly. I'm sure 9 opponents of that caliber is enough to whittle him down for Luffy to be a threat though.

Yeah... Potential Okama on the 3rd floor, and people speculate it to be Ivankov despite that being some dues ex machina. In b4 it is revealed to be Black Maria just having a really horrible voice after singing, lol.

Last edited:
OP is still a battle shounen, getting up from ridiculous damage and defeating someone that was seemingly above your level is something that can happen in OP, granted, it only happened a few times so far.

Well, i think both Kaido and Yama are humans, but due to that hidden race during Sabaody, i think an Ogre race makes sense (i would like if the hidden race were the Longheads, tho).

No, that isn't what i meant, quoting myself:
but at the same time says something like "you will need to fight me seriously to win"
"You will need to fight seriously" or "You are weakened by protecting these two", whatever he said in your language, he never said "you can't defeat me" in an arrogant way, he was deadly serious since Yamato's first attack, i should have made it clear, but i wasn't talking about power scaling, what i mean is that he knows Yamato's strength, but Oda is still making him react like "is this strength even possible?", when he simply isn't the character that should be doing that, he knows Yamato and isn't a weakling himself. On a side note, i think his sword will be like Renji's Shikai, it does not seem to be able to cut normally.

Agreed, it is good having someone interested in the meaning of all these things other than Robin, it makes me think Law will be in Laugh Tale with the Straws, since i don't see anyone other than Robin being interested in any possible information they will find there, so having Law would reduce the chance of Oda not showing what happened to us.

It acts exactly the same way Ivankov acts, but it could be a Okama thing that does not apply only to him, maybe Black Maria is an Okama, this is the only possible way Sanji vs Black Maria could happen (Sanji vs King would be superior, even more now that Marco is simply too hyped to fight a simple commander, and Zoro needs to be with the Supernovas vs Kaido or finish Orochi and get Kusanagi).

I said "in his level", they are by no way comparable to him, but they all have withstood some attacks and are much closer to him than G4 was, it is less "they are Yonkou-level" and more "they are in a level you will not reach by learning Goken alone after being completely stomped by Kaido", Kaido Himself says Inu and Neko are much stronger than one of his commanders.

It is also good to note, that all the "missing" characters from the Alliance have appeared in 995-996, and we know their positions and any possible opponents from their surroundings, while Queen is the only Calamity we have this much information.

Also I think we should re-address the idea of Kaido having regeneration to some degree, I know Oda isn't consistent sometimes with these things, but, I find it strange that with the amount of times Kaido has been stabbed that there is literally no visible damage on him.

Like the massive wound he got on his scar last chapter or so is just gone, yet Oda has consistently drawn Luffy and Zoro with their wounds from Apoo at the start of the war without fail.

Nice chapter!

I've honestly been waiting for the scene where Law tells Robin about him being a D, I just didn't expect to see it in the current arc, though it does make sense that it would happen during Wano. Good to see that Law has a new purpose in the story beyond helping the Straw Hats and the Alliance fight Kaido. I was expecting him to die this arc, however, this newest development makes that less likely.

Glad to see that Franky vs. Sasaki is happening like so many called. Since another Straw Hat vs. Flying Six Battle is happening, it gives me a little more hope that I might actually see Robin vs. Black Maria at some point.

Ever since Queen unleashed his ice oni virus, I had this feeling this might end up somehow turning into a much needed power-up for Chopper, and now that feeling is stronger after he got infected. I'd prefer it if Oda wraps this up before Chapter 1000 by letting Robin use her powers to help take the antidote from Apoo or something. Due to Chopper's condition, I guess it'll probably be up to Doctor Marco to give the antidote to the victims.

It was great seeing the Scabbards put up a temporary fight against Kaido in Oden's memory and even do some damage, but you just knew that this beat down from Kaido was eventually coming.

As for Sanji, I'm hoping this isn't going to be another Kalifa incident or one of his pervy gags in general right now.

Also, i saw some hype about this Poneglyph Law found to be about Uranus, since Kaido has too much interest in the Ancient Weapons to be acting based in limited info of Poseidon and arguably no info about Pluton.

Meh, unless Uranus is a Void Century level mistery i see no problem to have it revealed now, getting info from the weapons each 400 or so chapters is also i pattern that would be nice (Iirc we had many details about Pluton back in Alabasta)

Confirmation Law went in search of treasure instead of fighting brings joy me joy. Not much else does this chapter.

Sasaki gets matched with Franky. Makes sense given his amor theme. Bets on him being a triceratops at this point.

Usoop and Nami fleeing with help. Again makes sense, but not interesting. Little details about where everyone is are important but not exciting.

Looking forward to Big Mom and Kaido reuniting but that's down the road.

I rate this 2/10 this week.

Assuming Yamato is truly a Red Dragon like some are advocating for: Perhaps Kaido allowed Caesar (or someone like Vegapunk) to experiment on Yamato's blood and Devil Fruit in order to try and replicate that specific Zoan fruit. The results being the dragon on PH as well as the fruit that Momonosuke ended up eating (though this could instead be based off of Kaido's fruit assuming Yama is NOT a dragon)

It seems some people believe Yamato will have the Tori Tori no Mi: Model Nue, from the One Piece x Kyoto event, due to her mask and the tiger x dragon myth, i think there is no possible way to conclude it now, since those fangs were too generic.

Should we consider Yamato having Ryou? I only say so since it looks like that shockwave he produced was super dense, and he seemingly used hardening alongside it.

Obviously he wouldn't have the internal shit since he couldn't remove his cuffs.

Both are Ryou, but yeah Yamato would only have the emission version (like many others; haki blasts & Barriers). No internal injection or whatever.

Actually, isn't "Ryou" the name they use for haki in Wano? Anyway, Yamato does not have a profile afaik, so i think it is fine (it seems Yamato was indeed Kaido's Ace, he is strong enough to be at 4th commander level, i think).

We discussed this before the forum move and i think the conclusion was no, since Hyo witnessed Luffy using hardening multiple times but didn't attribute that to Ryou, similar to how Kin'emon did refer to hardening or such as Ryou either.

Oh, you are right, we already discussed that (i think i wasn't part, but i remember reading it) my bad. And now i am confused, Goken was just the name of Hyogoro's attack?

I'm unsure tbh, I think that was just what Hyogoro was known as in the past. I've read it means "the mighty blade". Supposedly it's the same name used to refer to the type of swordsman Zoro and Ryuma were in thriller bark.

Back