• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

General DC Comics Discussion Thread

1-D675-D1-B-6518-4-B5-C-AD49-9236-D9-DDFCF6.jpg

also Batman never kills people when he drops people from a high height because gravity killed them not Batman.

Superman, personally.
Who Tf likes superman more than the batgoat, superman is too predictable and nice kinda gross in a way.
As a character, I like Superman more, but I do think Batman tends to have the more interesting stories.
Tf
For me it's deffo Supes, but Batman is up there on my list of favorite comic characters. Their dynamic together is also almost untouchable imo.
What's wrong with you all

do you guys like Superman more or Batman more?
personally i like both

For Superman I like it because it depicts the power of hope itself and is generous and also dares to take risks to fight evil

for Batman, even though he is only an ordinary human, he is a fighter against crime and defends justice to protect his hometown

personally i like both

For Superman I like it because it depicts the power of hope itself and is generous and also dares to take risks to fight evil

for Batman, even though he is only an ordinary human, he is a fighter against crime and defends justice to protect his hometown
Agreed.

Anyone in dc who is omniscient

also lex is a villain guys, I know that but doesn’t he have a point about supes. What if one day supes snaps there’s no one on earth excluding other powerhouses that can stop him (looking at you injustice)

yeah all it takes is one bad day and supes will kill us all.

also lex is a villain guys, I know that but doesn’t he have a point about supes. What if one day supes snaps there’s no one on earth excluding other powerhouses that can stop him (looking at you injustice)

Not really. Multiple versions of Clark have shown that they can go through events like that and keep their morals in tact. Also, Injustice Superman went through way more than just "One bad day".

Absolutely not. Injustice Superman is not, and never will be, an accurate depiction of what Clark would do, and there’s two quotes that sum it up pretty well imo.

To quote Grant Morrison; “I think the idea that Superman would react to the death of Lois Lane by becoming a tyrant is ridiculous; my mum and dad died and I didn't become a tyrant. If I can handle it, Superman can handle it.”

And to quote Clark himself in Action Comics Vol. 1 #900, “Do your worst, Luthor. Do it forever. I won’t break.”

I second what everyone above me has said, Injustice is a very inaccurate depiction of Superman's character.
I'd recommend checking out Action Comics #796. Despite how old the story is, I think it's worth a read and I don't want to spoil it, but just to explain why it's relevant to this discussion, Manchester Black makes Superman believe he killed Lois, and despite Superman's temptation to act in violence, and Black continuing to try to provoke Superman, he does not attack Black, because vengeance is not justice, and he will not break. The story really holds up and I think it does a great job showing Superman's mental resilience and morals.

Absolutely not. Injustice Superman is not, and never will be, an accurate depiction of what Clark would do, and there’s two quotes that sum it up pretty well imo.

To quote Grant Morrison; “I think the idea that Superman would react to the death of Lois Lane by becoming a tyrant is ridiculous; my mum and dad died and I didn't become a tyrant. If I can handle it, Superman can handle it.”

And to quote Clark himself in Action Comics Vol. 1 #900, “Do your worst, Luthor. Do it forever. I won’t break.”
Exactly. Also, remember that mainstream Superman went through exactly this situation in a scenario set up by Manchester Black many years ago.

I second what everyone above me has said, Injustice is a very inaccurate depiction of Superman's character.
I'd recommend checking out Action Comics #796. Despite how old the story is, I think it's worth a read and I don't want to spoil it, but just to explain why it's relevant to this discussion, Manchester Black makes Superman believe he killed Lois, and despite Superman's temptation to act in violence, and Black continuing to try to provoke Superman, he does not attack Black, because vengeance is not justice, and he will not break. The story really holds up and I think it does a great job showing Superman's mental resilience and morals.
Oh, you also remember that story. Good for you.

I like Joe Kelly's version of Superman the most, and then Grant Morrison's.

also lex is a villain guys, I know that but doesn’t he have a point about supes.
His point is shown time and time again to be flawed, because all it is is a matter of ego and projection. He thinks Superman "might snap" because he would. And that's precisely why he cannot fathom the existence of someone genuinely good, because he thinks he is the standard everyone else should be measured against.

Edit: To suggest Lex has a point, is to subscribe to a completely egotistical and narrow-minded idea of humanity. Because let's not forget, despite his alien origins, Superman is Clark Kent: He is ultimately human. Humans have the capability to hurt and become "evil"; but just as well they have the capability to keep rising and never giving up for what they believe in. That's what Superman stands for. Someone like Lex cannot understand that, so he will keep trying over and over again to undermine it.

His point is shown time and time again to be flawed, because all it is is a matter of ego and projection. He thinks Superman "might snap" because he would. And that's precisely why he cannot fathom the existence of someone genuinely good, because he thinks he is the standard everyone else should be measured against.

Edit: To suggest Lex has a point, is to subscribe to a completely egotistical and narrow-minded idea of humanity. Because let's not forget, despite his alien origins, Superman is Clark Kent: He is ultimately human. Humans have the capability to hurt and become "evil"; but just as well they have the capability to keep rising and never giving up for what they believe in. That's what Superman stands for. Someone like Lex cannot understand that, so he will keep trying over and over again to undermine it.
Isn’t lex also secretly envious of Superman, he hates him but deep down just wants to be like supes.

also is there anyone in dc who is omniscient, I see nigh omnscient but no omniscience.

Isn’t lex also secretly envious of Superman, he hates him but deep down just wants to be like supes.
More than envy, it's just he can't stand there's someone that might be better than him. He's deeply insecure, he feels the need to prove that he's better. In his mind, he is better, but everyone refuses to acknowledge it, they all clamor to Superman. That pisses him off to his core.

More than envy, it's just he can't stand there's someone that might be better than him. He's deeply insecure, he feels the need to prove that he's better. In his mind, he is better, but everyone refuses to acknowledge it, they all clamor to Superman. That pisses him off to his core.

he’s also greedy and he just cannot comprehend good which is one of his weaknesses

I'm not so fond of Byrne's interpretation. He did some pretty sick things with Superman. The mind-controlled **** movie with Big Barda. The mind-controlled extreme villainy under Darkseid's command. The execution of the Phantom Zone criminals, which was fully justified but not what Superman is about, and so onwards.

Johnns version is really good, and Loeb was entertaining at least, whereas Jurgens had a great understanding of the character, and never defiled him, but also wasn't particularly entertaining.

I do not remember so much about DeMatteis' version, but find the writer himself very sympathetic.

Sure, Byrne's Superman could be hit or miss. But I still really enjoy the original Man of Steel run and a few of the other comics he wrote, specifically ideas like Clark struggling with home vs heritage, and I think there are some defensible things about lesser parts. Villainy while mind-controlled wasn't too bad imo, since he didn't really do anything terrible while controlled, and broke free an issue later. Killing the Phantom Zone criminals would be really bad if Superman wasn't so traumatized by the event and didn't take it to better himself as a character.

Jurgen's is probably on the lower end of the writers I listed, but he also was a great artist for the character, so I've always enjoyed his runs. He had his fair share of enjoyable stories as well, and some of his Rebirth issues were nice. JMD wrote a few cool stories with the character, like Where is Thy Sting, Superman: The Man of Tomorrow #15 and the Dominus arc, plus he worked a bit on storylines like Emperor Joker. Overall he showed a very good understanding of the character and really emphasized his connection with Lois imo.

Under Darkseid's command Superman sold out the freedom-fighting hunger dogs to be massacred en masse. Also, Byrne's version of Krypton was really awful. He handled the Fantastic Four and the X-Men really well back in the 1980s, but largely destroyed Superman's character, and Byrne's personal sentiments were a very poor fit for the sheer joy, kindness, and idealism that Superman embodies.

Mark Waid has made some morally dubious actions in real life, but also tends to write Superman very well, btw.

It seems I misremembered the Darkseid storyline, in that case yeah, that's pretty terrible. Real shame too since aside from that I remember liking the arc, especially the ending with Orion giving a good speech on what makes Superman so remarkable. I'd still stand by the ups and downs comment though, as I feel the highs were still really high, but yeah some of the lows are real bad. Though for me, it also helps he's one of my favorite Superman artists, alongside Jurgens, Jim Lee, Gary Franks, Alex Ross, etc.

Mark Waid's Superman is fairly good, yeah. Not one of my favorites but there's some good stuff there, and his work on the current Batman/Superman run has been fun.

Edit: Oh right, totally forgot about Phillip Kennedy Johnson. Not sure if he's among my favorites yet, but I liked his Warworld Arc a lot (similar to a Byrne story I also enjoyed) and I'm excited to see where he'll take the character going forward.

Last edited:
Also OMG the meme has become official

AECCFB2-A-9-DEC-4-DD1-8626-C6886-AEA46-B6.png

not pictured: Batman in pain from slapping supes and breaking his hand

4-DFE9-A4-A-4-DD3-4-DC8-9-CC5-F6454-BAFBB76.png

Not pictured: Batman gets his head knocked off by the force of supes slap also no blood splatter

The images aren't loading. But in general, yeah, the Animal Man run has been dissected pretty thoroughly. I don't think there's a solid basis for connecting the Writer profile to the Presence, and there's a strong argument to be made for deleting the Writer's profile given that so much of it is based on speculative rather than substantive feats.
Back to this.

Back