• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Feed Me Your Wretched Anime Suggestions

Dude doesn't know the lore

May I ask what the lore is?
I take this as an honest question, and so ye receive an honest answer. For every ex I've accrued, a piece of media they pushed me to watch with 'em is blocked from the repertoire. Call it a memorial. A lot of them are bad and stupid that I probably won't watch anyways, the two standouts are Interstellar and Cowboy Bebop.

perhaps someday the embargo will be lifted, it will not be today.

I take this as an honest question, and so ye receive an honest answer. For every ex I've accrued, a piece of media they pushed me to watch with 'em is blocked from the repertoire. Call it a memorial. A lot of them are bad and stupid that I probably won't watch anyways, the two standouts are Interstellar and Cowboy Bebop.

perhaps someday the embargo will be lifted, it will not be today.
I honestly don't care come to think of it
Play me in Mario Sports Mix though.

I suggest Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex

It is a futuristic police/spy type anime and generally has a serious tone. It has a lot of dialogue and requires attention. Being from 2004, it is considerably old, and being seinen, it lacks common cringe tropes in most mainstream animes. It has 52 episodes.

I'd second Jumpjutsu Jujutsu Kaisen, almost opposite of the above and can be enjoyed without needing a functioning brain. Just brainless action.

I'd also second Gurren Lagann if you can withstand first half of the show constantly zooming into boobs and ass of a 15/16 whatever year old girl without dying of cringe. Otherwise, it is pretty good, very optimistic despite the circumstances of the setting.

you do not do a good job marketing Gurren Lagann to me, sir. your other recommendations are noted. Heard good things of Ghost in the Shell.

I am honest man, not salaryman. Though it was a bad move to mention the only cringe thing in that show that barely happens for a total of 3 minutes-ish. Evangelion but people are actually competent and not messed up in the head. 27 episodes of constant celebration of indomitable human spirit and determination to overcome all obstacles and charge straight to the unknown that might end up dooming them anyway (fİghT the PowAh). Kamina

Re:Zero starting life in another world
Peak show, must watch
(just dont become a diehard rem fan :( )

Last edited by a moderator:
How about Violet Evergarden? It's about a girl named Violet Evergarden who joins a company to write letters for people. The main reason she joins it is to try and understand what "I love you" means (she was a child soldier, so she doesn't understand emotions and normal human feelings very well). The series is episodic with each episode having Violet meet new clients, helping them with their issues, and learning more about emotions and humanity during it. It's basically a series about Violet learning to "become" human after all of what she's been through. The animation is also gorgeous, and the music is amazing too. It's genuinely amazing, and my family (who don't watch anime, and often associate animation with "childishness" and just being for young children) really enjoyed it.

Edit: I also wanted to say that the only reason I didn't cry several times over the course of the show is because my family was there. I don't normally cry watching stuff like this.

Last edited:
If you're still searching for suggestions - Kaguya-Sama: Love is War.

It's a truly subversive romantic comedy. It deconstructs the genre elegantly through including revolutionary new ideas, such as 'having good writing' and 'compelling characters with IQs above 40'.

It is also unquestionably the best English dub I have ever seen, one of the main characters uses Discord, and it smacks you in the face with an almost completely unambiguous Dark Souls reference at one point.

It's currently sitting at 40 episodes (or 36 episodes + a movie, depending on pedantic factors), each around 20 minutes long, so it's something you could comfortably get through in a few weeks if you reserved time for an episode or two a day.

If you're still searching for suggestions - Kaguya-Sama: Love is War.

It's a truly subversive romantic comedy. It deconstructs the genre elegantly through including revolutionary new ideas, such as 'having good writing' and 'compelling characters with IQs above 40'.

It is also unquestionably the best English dub I have ever seen, one of the main characters uses Discord, and it smacks you in the face with an almost completely unambiguous Dark Souls reference at one point.

It's currently sitting at 40 episodes (or 36 episodes + a movie, depending on pedantic factors), each around 20 minutes long, so it's something you could comfortably get through in a few weeks if you reserved time for an episode or two a day.
I second this (the manga is better and is finished btw)

FeBn.gif

If you’re interested in romance anime, I’d recommend The Dangers in My Heart. It’s currently my favorite ongoing romance anime, largely because it doesn’t waste your time at all and develops the main relationship very smoothly. It’s currently going through it’s second season, too.

Yu Yu Hakusho is peak shonen plus it has amazing characters and the best tournament arc in all of anime. Highly recommended that 90’s stuff, especially since it’s better dubbed.

Without judging anyone, I think Shonen and Isekai stuff are the biggest detriments to anime and are the lowest in terms of priority of me watching 'em. Just to give people an idea going forward of what I'm likely to watch. I'd much sooner choose, solely from genre, romance or slice of life over another Shonen. Even the best Shonen stuff I thought was just okay, and the worst of it is downright nauseating- I didn't grow to dislike anime until someone recommended Bleach, wretched damn show.

Also while I'm at it I'd like to second the Frieren suggestion simply because Frieren and The Dangers in My Heart are legitimately the only two ongoing anime series I've been actively keeping up with recently

Back