• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

New Year, New Anime Recommendation for Bambu

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr. Bambu

Suffer-Not-Injustice Bambu
VS Battles
Joke Battles
Super Moderator
Administrator
Calculation Group
Silver Supporter
The yearly request has arrived. As in the years before, I will accept anime recommendations to be the one anime I watch this year, on the off chance you people convince me that anime, as a genre, is not one of humanity's worst sins.

Last year, y'all suggested Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood. Was alright. Nothing incredible, did not finish watching but I think I got to all the bits people do the haha over.

So I'm asking again: bring me your best. The score to beat is Neon Genesis Evangelion.

Some pointers:
  • I prefer an English dub. I don't care what you think about that fact.
  • I find I care less about animation quality than most of y'all. Rough animation is fine to me, as long as its good otherwise.
  • I'd rather not watch 50+ episodes.
  • I'd rather watch something on a streaming platform than something on a **** ad-addled website.

Your suggestions:
  • Gankutsuou (by Zaratthustra)
  • Owari no Seraph (by azontr)
  • Tower of God (by Excel616) (Looks meh, Slay the Spire but weebified)
  • High School of the Dead (by Excel616) (Horny)
  • God of Highschool (by Excel616) (Ovens verse)
  • Fire Force (by Excel616)
  • Deadman Wonderland (by Excel616)
  • Sirius the Yeager (by Small_Ophion)
  • Vanitas no Carte (by Small_Ophion)
  • Steins;gate (by Rikimarox2)
  • Fate/zero (by Artorimachi_Meteoraft) (Horny)
  • Vivy: Flourite Eyes Song (by Witchy)
  • Berserk: 1997 (by Mantidil)
  • Violet Evergarden (by Mantidil)
  • Cowboy Bebop (by Mantidil) (Disqualified for being my the favorite anime of my ex, it will never be watched)
  • Trigun Stamped (by Excel616)
  • Assassination Classroom (by Excel616)
  • Spy x Family (by Excel616)
  • Chainsaw Man (by Excel616)
  • Black Lagoon (by BlackDarkness679)
  • One Punch Man (by Excel616)
  • Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann (by Lynieryz)
  • Cyberpunk Edgerunners (by BlackDarkness679)
  • Devilman Crybaby (by BitchFace McCrabby)
  • 91 Days (by Arceus0x)
  • Soul Eater (by Deceived3596) (Seen bits and pieces, not really interested)
  • Zetman (by Deceived3596)
  • Deadman Wonderland (by Deceived3596)
  • Darker than Black (by Deceived3596)
  • Blue Exorcist (by Deceived3596) (Seen bits and pieces, also not interested)
  • Yu Yu Hakusho (by Godernet) (Battle Shonens may go to hell.)
  • Attack on Titan (by Godernet)
  • Monster (by Godernet)
  • Haikyuu (by Godernet)
  • Vinland Saga (by Godernet)
  • Your Lie in April (by Godernet)
  • Ajin: Demi Human (by Deceived3596)
  • Kill La Kill (by XSOULOFCINDERX)
  • Blood Lad (by Toby020)
  • Houseki no Kuni (by Shmooply)
  • JoJo's Bizarre Adventure (by it_is_i_wyatt) (I avoid this on principle alone)
  • Hellsing Ultimate (by Crabby McBitchFace)

Last edited:
Gankutsuou - basically based on The Count of Monte Cristo, a good revenge book (read it if you haven't till now). It's Count of Monte Cristo in space (of course sci-fi elements), but it has a really interesting take on it. The soundtrack is good (A Japanese anime with a English original opening sang by a French dude - a really neat one btw), the animation/color pallet may take a few episodes to become used but it makes it unique and appealing. It follows the books pretty thoroughly with a few changes (guess space/sci-fi elements make them). Solid thriller series with a large cast of reasonably interesting characters and a compelling anti-hero. The story is really good as (I mean it follows the book so what did you expect), a tale of revenge, love, corruption, deception, cruelty, aristocracy, with good characters aspirations and take on the events happening. A few fantasy elements also appear but they are well put there and some symbolism. Things may not make sense earlier sometimes but don't worry as they will make sense later.

Will come later with a few more recc.

To be clear, FMA:B was like... 5.5 to 6 outta 10, wasn't bad by any extent of the word. It just wasn't as good as people hyped it up to be. I liked every character more than the main protagonist.

Simply being recommended by you is summoning deep within my petty soul a desire to not watch it. But aight.

I'd recommend to thee a title called "Owari no Seraph", translating in English to "Seraph of the End".

It's not a very good title, per se. I'd call it somewhat above average for what it is. I think you'll enjoy it if you just turn off your brain for a bit and enjoy a bit of mindless fun. The animation is quite decent in my opinion, the voice acting is quite good(the dub voice acting is better than the sub in my honest opinion, I think the English voice actors show more emotion than the Japanese ones but make whatever decision you will), the soundtrack in my honest opinion is an absolute banger more than it isn't, and overall it's a good watch.

I won't overhype it and say it's some masterpiece for the ages. It's something that you can sit down and watch, turn off your brain a tiny bit, and enjoy the vampires killing people. All in all, a decent watch I'd recommend to anyone.

Not really the best ones I know but 2 vampire shows come to mind and they're decently interesting

Sirius the Yeager - Band of cool guys hunts Vampires, MC has close ties to them, a few mysteries, interesting lore

Vanitas no Carte - One crazy dude with a magic book enters the world of vampires, has a mysterious backstory and knows their power system better than themselves

Normally, I dont partake in these because I know my taste in anime is shit, but why not.

Vivy: Flourite Eye's Song is a pretty good watch in my opinion. Plot is basically Terminator Japan edition, pretty stunning visually and music-wise. But more importantly, its a Anime original, meaning the 12 episodes it has tells a complete and finished story (Something pretty rare in Anime nowdays).

Embarrassingly posted this on another thread so here we go again.

Not anime but still weebshit: Kamen Rider Black Sun. It's 10 episodes long and mature rated so you don't have to worry about it being long or made for kids like the main series.

The story takes place in a world where monster-human hybrids known as Kaijin exist and are discriminated against in society. One man whose history is deeply ingrained in the appearance of these Kaijin must stand and fight against the forces that oppose them; all the while uncovering the mystery of their appearance.

Embarrassingly posted this on another thread so here we go again.

Not anime but still weebshit: Kamen Rider Black Sun. It's 10 episodes long and mature rated so you don't have to worry about it being long or made for kids like the main series.

The story takes place in a world where monster-human hybrids known as Kaijin exist and are discriminated against in society. One man whose history is deeply ingrained in the appearance of these Kaijin must stand and fight against the forces that oppose them; all the while uncovering the mystery of their appearance.
It’s not anime so no count (anime means animation specifically Japanese animation) so sir ovens I’m afraid your choice automatically is disqualified here.

Not sure what is your exact taste, but I have a few ideas:

Berserk (1997)—Basically a dark fantasy story that slowly ramps up with supernatural elements. It’s often compared to Evangelion as one of the darker yet unforgettable anime’s of the 90s. It‘s animation isn’t super great and it only really focuses on one arc of the story, though it is a very good story regardless.

Violet Evergarden—On the other end of the spectrum. This is a more heartfelt and romantic anime which follows Violet Evergarden, a former soldier or ‘human weapon‘ who becomes a ghostwriter after the war is over. She struggles with understanding human emotion, most importantly love which she seeks to understand by helping other people write their letters. Very pretty looking show too.

Cowboy Bebop—90s classic that I think everyone should watch. It is basically a mostly episodic show with an overarching plotline that follows space bounty hunters, and takes elements from westerns, noir, and sci-fi. It generally has a pretty fun cast of characters and can be pretty memorable.

Steins;Gate—Personal fondness for this one. This is a very unique time travel plot line where a group of people find a way to send text messages to the past. It has a fun, interesting main character Okabe who puts on a ”mad scientist“ persona fighting some made up Organization, but this is really just all an act he puts on for others.

Last edited:
Steins gate is pretty cool if you like time traveling fuckery and a funny scientist. Definitely my recommendation.

Though if you ever make a Manga recommendation thread, then please do list Goodnight punpun there.
is Goodnight Punpun about what I think it is about

Dragon Ball
AbandonedAggravatingBoilweevil-size_restricted.gif

It’s not anime so no count (anime means animation specifically Japanese animation) so sir ovens I’m afraid your choice automatically is disqualified here.
I will die on the hill that anime is a style of animation and can be made outside of Japan. Were I a pettier man, I'd include his suggestion, but as it stands Kamen Rider seems miserable so just like... instant pass.

How would you know without watching
Sunday Morning Cartoons. Dragon Ball featured heavily and was an unwelcome guest compared to Courage the Cowardly Dog.

is Goodnight Punpun about what I think it is about
It's about a boy named Punpun (who views himself as a bird doodle) and how he deals with his growth into an adult while dealing dysfunctional family/friends and their own struggles. Very psychological heavy character driven story with high octane suffering fuel.
Also features very nice art.

It's about a boy named Punpun (who views himself as a bird doodle) and how he deals with his growth into an adult while dealing dysfunctional family/friends and their own struggles. Very psychological heavy character driven story with high octane suffering fuel.
unfortunate, thought it was about a kobold wizard who abused game mechanics to functionally become a god by sacrificing infinite quantities of squirrels and shapeshifting into a primordial snake-guy

unfortunate, thought it was about a kobold wizard who abused game mechanics to functionally become a god by sacrificing infinite quantities of squirrels and shapeshifting into a primordial snake-guy
That happens around chapter 34, but then the story decides to take a different turn

Let me guess
The main character dies with someone saying next to him "Goodnight Punpun"

Anyway. OP is updated, bold ones are ones I'm considering more than the others.

I really don't recommend watching Berserk. Although the old anime is very good, it is much smaller than what is presented in the manga. So if you are interested in Berserk, it's better reading the Manga since it is more complete.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back