• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Feed Me Your Wretched Anime Suggestions

Do NOT watch evangelion

Weird-ass anime

Just got done with it and the movie and it's basically "hey let's make these kids suffer, force psychological questions upon them that would make an adult struggle to answer and then never put the fate of the world upon their backs".

The anime is beautiful in a hauntingly weird way and the end parts are basically psychological horror, but at the same time it's a bit frustrating to watch. It just feels unfair how much psychological trauma and stuff is being thrown at innocent 14yos by adults with weird selfish esoteric plans. I was watching the series thinking "just let my boy live out his life bruh" like seriously.

Do NOT watch evangelion

Weird-ass anime

Just got done with it and the movie and it's basically "hey let's make these kids suffer, force psychological questions upon them that would make an adult struggle to answer and then never put the fate of the world upon their backs".

The anime is beautiful in a hauntingly weird way and the end parts are basically psychological horror, but at the same time it's a bit frustrating to watch. It just feels unfair how much psychological trauma and stuff is being thrown at innocent 14yos by adults with weird selfish esoteric plans. I was watching the series thinking "just let my boy live out his life bruh" like seriously.
Avg shonen anime

Do NOT watch evangelion

Weird-ass anime

I can't tell if you're serious or not

I can't tell if you're serious or not
A bit of both I suppose. I understand why people call this a masterpiece but through the whole series it felt like the author was just doing his best to make even more odds stack against the main characters in more and more disturbing ways without any break. It just felt unfair.

A bit of both I suppose. I understand why people call this a masterpiece but through the whole series it felt like the author was just doing his best to make even more odds stack against the main characters in more and more disturbing ways without any break. It just felt unfair.
Bear in mind Anno was going through some awful shit in his life when he made this as well.

The series becoming more cerebral as time went on probably reflected this. The fact that it felt like a no break pain train is because the main driving force behind probably was going through a no break pain train.

I see.

Of all the suggestions I've received down the years, I would consider Neon Genesis Evangelion to be the best one that I actually watched. Without trying to sound like a pretentious prick, I think it had a lot to say and managed to execute what it wanted to say excellently. I don't want to watch an anime about a cool guy fighting cool monsters with cool moves in cool places- shit means nothing to me, but Evangelion meant something.

The horrible situations, I think, added to this super deep portrayal of characters larger than a few traits. Yeah, a lot of the time they were played up through cartoonish traits, but ultimately the suffering brought out much more interesting situations.

I don't know if I'm the one to offer a breakdown of the things I like- I'm not exactly eloquent or well-versed. Suffice to say that I think there is intrigue and to an extent beauty in the nature of suffering, particularly that offered by Evangelion's brand of suffering, which has a way of leading to development and exploration of humanity's imperfections. Not one character in the show is really whole. I genuinely, profoundly love that.

also if you think Evangelion is bad, you should really watch Mad God, it is probably the single most foul thing I've ever strongly recommended to anybody

Depends if you're looking for something that makes you think or dumb fun I guess but this season I have been enjoying

Mindless:

Undead Unluck (just a fun show)

Mashle (Harry Potter if he was a weight lifter, also very fun)

Shangrila Frontier (this shit is actually crack cocaine, one of the best VR video game series of all time)

Ninja Kamui (incredible sword fighting/fighting animations, best ive seen sime Samurai Champloo)

Less mindless:

Also pushing the Frieren agenda

Figured we could use some current season recommendations instead of just classics

Last edited:
Like, I get it, but it still felt unfair how adult issues were forced onto what's essentially a confused traumatized kid.

Gonna go into spoiler territories from now on

The lore is kinda bogus. They shoved waaaay too much stuff into this and then we have to piece together what happened? I get piecing together statements from here and there but good grief what we get aren't even proper statement or even partial explanations at times and some stuff is hard to connect. I like lore and I don't mind piecing together stuff to get a full picture but when your anime doesn't make sense without having to piece together the lore this way it starts getting annoying. And don't get me started on the BS they pulled with making ep 25-26 make 0 sense within the anime and only make sense if you watch the movie before or after. Then there's the whole random esoteric knowledge the SEELE possessed. We suddenly went from understandable sci-fi with explanations on how something might function and into summoning rituals with chanting and world tree for some reason. "They got that knowledge from the scrolls!" My ass, like, brother might as well keep the entire lore aaaaalll within the scrolls, no need to show them to us amirite, no need to tell us that there's not only sci-fi but metaphysical stuff involved in this world until the very end parts right? It pisses me off. Metaphysical stuff was just barely introduced with the whole soul insertion stuff but even then we never get a proper look at it or a proper mention. Before third impact arc we get some scientific explanation for everything, like Shinji being dissolved into a peculiar quantum state and not just randomly disappearing. But then we're suddenly hit with something out of pocket where there needs to be this specific ritual with these specific tools and chanting to do this specific thing. What is this. Finally, I am also not a fan of the biblical/cabbalistic references - they basically serve no point. Like they are placed in the right spots to be a reference but overall they just don't add anything beyond potential hints at the lore to people who know this stuff. Its entire purpose is some minor aesthetic part of the series which doesn't even fit it that well/

(suffice to say I would disagree with your rant but it's fine, people like what they like- as long as you aren't an Isekai bro or a coomer you won't be crucified)

And don't get me started on the BS they pulled with making ep 25-26 make 0 sense within the anime and only make sense if you watch the movie before or after./
To be fair that part is them literally running out of money during the production.

EoE was made specifically because the original ending was kinda dogshit.

Those are the strong considerations, I haven't been updating the OP as much as I should.
Pluto is peak. I really enjoyed it. It is somewhat complex here and there but mainly rather easy to understand. Despite that, its beautiful and the characters are very good.
(suffice to say I would disagree with your rant but it's fine, people like what they like- as long as you aren't an Isekai bro or a coomer you won't be crucified)
I am most definitely not a coomer and I probably wouldn't count as an isekai bro since I don't watch isekai unless they've a good plot and creative premise (I still don't get how people aren't tired of black haired protagonists using boring ass magic and impressing everyone, generating cringe awe reactions?)
To be fair that part is them literally running out of money during the production.

EoE was made specifically because the original ending was kinda dogshit.
lmao

Wasn't that partially a rumor? I thought the official reason was because Anno didn't know how he wanted it to end right up until the last episode? Though, I don't doubt that budget played a part in the ending being as weird as it is.

I see.

Of all the suggestions I've received down the years, I would consider Neon Genesis Evangelion to be the best one that I actually watched. Without trying to sound like a pretentious prick, I think it had a lot to say and managed to execute what it wanted to say excellently. I don't want to watch an anime about a cool guy fighting cool monsters with cool moves in cool places- shit means nothing to me, but Evangelion meant something.

The horrible situations, I think, added to this super deep portrayal of characters larger than a few traits. Yeah, a lot of the time they were played up through cartoonish traits, but ultimately the suffering brought out much more interesting situations.

I don't know if I'm the one to offer a breakdown of the things I like- I'm not exactly eloquent or well-versed. Suffice to say that I think there is intrigue and to an extent beauty in the nature of suffering, particularly that offered by Evangelion's brand of suffering, which has a way of leading to development and exploration of humanity's imperfections. Not one character in the show is really whole. I genuinely, profoundly love that.
I planned on watching Evangelion soon but holy hell that sounds like my kind of thing, I might try it this month

On the same note, ReZero potrays character growth from extreme suffering as well. Without revealing too much, the main character is specifically made for you to hate on at the beginning and slowly grow to like as he becomes a better person. His character is born from the sheer determination to go through the suffering to save the people he wants to. It also doesn't allow him any easy way out, he is not OP in anyway. He is a normal human stuck in a world full of monsters.

The side characters are also written with great passion, every character has a deep backstory, a motive to complete, and a goal. Nobody seems like a mindless NPC. You can pick a random character from the entire cast and find just how fleshed out they really are. In fact, I can safely say that most side characters of ReZero are better written than a lot of MCs

There is a funny instance of a random butler being given an important role by the author due to a random comment he got and that dude now has an entire trilogy written for him. Truly amazes me how that works

It is written by Tappei Nagatsuki and his writing is peak, he is the one who did Vivy as a minor side project and made it to be one of the top anime of 2021. You know the quality is high when the author's side pieces are better than most media🗿

******* in the Franxx is literally just TTGL but mid and more fanservicey.
Nah, its Evangelion but retold by a coomer. TTGL is more fun and more hype, Evangelion is the one with creepy despressing stuff and with psychological talks about human nature.

Nah, its Evangelion but retold by a coomer. TTGL is more fun and more hype, Evangelion is the one with creepy despressing stuff and with psychological talks about human nature.
TTGL had quite a few sad moments interwoven with the fun & hype. ig it didn't have so many talks about human nature, but I think it still explored a lot of that through its themes, and by merely showing events.

TTGL had quite a few sad moments interwoven with the fun & hype. ig it didn't have so many talks about human nature, but I think it still explored a lot of that through its themes, and by merely showing events.
I still think Franxx clearly took more from Eva than from TTGL

I still think Franxx clearly took more from Eva than from TTGL
Probably. It's been like 14 years since I've seen Eva, but only a few since I've seen Franxx/TTGL.

as long as you aren't an Isekai bro or a coomer you won't be crucified
gorilla-shocked-gorilla.gif
monkey-eating-shy-reaction.gif

Last edited:
I recommend Dororo if your looking for a good, thought provoking, adventure anime. It's not shounen, not isekai, not romance. Its a straight to the point journey of a cursed son on his way to gain back his body back by defeating monsters and his journey of discovery along the way. Good characters, very little cliché anime scenes (Excessive grunting and moaning female characters, random echhi scenes), and a solid story that doesn't slow or plummet at any point throughout the series. And it's only 24 episodes for the whole story.

Kill La Kill is really good but I think if Bambu watched it he would probably just wither away and die in a bloody manner akin to the nazis in Raider of the Lost Ark within the first ten minutes
Horny, is it?

It puts a 17 year old in one of the most revealing outfits that isn't Naked or a bikini.

The Show doesn't treat it as horny, and goes on not caring about if it gets dicks hard or not, sure, but uh... yeah.
Mods, input up, right, down, down, down and throw it at the creator when they least expect it

curse of unreasonably thin soles?

Back