• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

TYBW Anime is Canon

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Arc7Kuroi; there is nothing wrong with Deagonx asking for clarity from the other staff members. Better to be safe than sorry.
If you read what I said, I explicitly said that’s fine. I also said, until they say otherwise, it is assumed that by “I agree with Arc’s premise” that they agree with my premise. I pmed KT to clarify, I’m not being evil here 🗿

Even when I first read it, I overlooked the notion of discrepancies, I primarily thought about it in terms of "he's gonna be adding more stuff, which is canon" and I'm fine with that, it wasn't until I read Damage's comment that I realized it was a point of contention. I'm sure others might have overlooked it too, so I can't cosign counting overall agrees as decisive for this specific issue given how easy it is to just focus on the main aspect of "new things will be added, which are canon" rather than "existing things might be changed, which should be seen as the primary canon."

Even when I first read it, I overlooked the notion of discrepancies, I primarily thought about it in terms of "he's gonna be adding more stuff, which is canon" and I'm fine with that, it wasn't until I read Damage's comment that I realized it was a point of contention. I'm sure others might have overlooked it too, so I can't cosign counting overall agrees as decisive for this specific issue given how easy it is to just focus on the main aspect of "new things will be added, which are canon" rather than "existing things might be changed, which should be seen as the primary canon."
You overlooking =/= they must’ve also overlooked it. Clearly as demonstrated by Damage, Tracer, and Lephyr not having overlooked it.

Not assuming they didn't, just recognizing the possibility that they may have since that aspect wasn't the focal point of the OP. I mean even the first line says "equal to, if not superior to" which leaves it somewhat vague rather than clearly asserting it as the primary canon up front.

@LephyrTheRevanchist @LordGriffin1000 @KingTempest

Can you clarify your view on whether the manga or anime would take precedence in the case of discrepancies? We certainly have enough agreement to consider it canon, but we need a firmer consensus on this matter. Myself and Damage believe the manga should take precedence as the original source material, Tracer believes the anime should. It'd help if we had a decisive vote one way or the other.
Anime

Inb4 TYBW anime references the Bounts or (shiver) the mod soul trio...

I agree with the TYBW anime being the primary canon (kinda surprised this wasn't officially clarified on the wiki sooner), this isn't just some leading question on Twitter to abuse WoG or something similar, the author is consciously making the definitive version of his saga/arc after initially being unable to fully tell the story he wanted for the repeated reasons above, it really isn't that deep.

Here's an analogy: an ill cook makes a dish but the 1st attempt only manages to be a 7/10 and it doesn't meet the cook's professional standards, so the cook decides to wait until he is well and along the way make some modifications with some new seasonings while core of the dish remains the same as a result the 2nd attempt is a 10/10 that meets the cook's the professional standards, so why would the 1st attempt be the one that permanently stays on the menu?

Intro
This thread will be to talk about the TYBW anime’s canonicity, and I believe it should be held in regard with equal weight, if not superior to the manga.

Evidence
  1. Kubo is confident in the anime being faithful to his vision.
  2. Kubo and Pierrot have been going back and forth several times with developing the anime.
  3. Kubo acknowledges that there will be new scenes.
  4. Kubo is the one inserting the new scenes.
  5. Kubo reviews and watches what Pierrot does with his suggestions.
  6. Kubo believes that Pierrot is taking his suggestions seriously.
  7. Kubo is involved in every step of the process.
  8. Kubo believes his extensive involvement is what will help elevate the anime.
Verdict
I think it’s self-evident from Kubo’s numerous statements regarding his in depth involvement in the anime, that the TYBW anime should be considered canon to the main story of Bleach. Especially so when considering that: A) he’s involved in every step of the way, and B) he’s incorporating shit in the anime that he didn’t get to put in the manga. This means that the anime will provide a more comprehensive and complete version of Kubo’s vision for the TYBW than the manga could. All of which is not surprising, given how Kubo’s decking health had led him to rush the TYBW manga conclusion. I think we can all agree too, for those who have scene the anime, that the additions in cour 1 alone have already done wonders in fleshing out the more vague aspects of the first invasion.

Conclusion
I’m sure most of y’all won’t find this controversial, I’m just making this for formality’s sake. The conclusion is that the TYBW anime is canon and takes precedence as an adaptation, since it is a more completed version of Kubo’s vision for his story.

Agree: Lephyr, Tracer, Damage (but manga takes precedent over discrepancies), Griffon, KT, Deagonx (same as Damage)
Neutral:
Disagree:
ngeqvj7eyyt91.jpg

Something that I forgot to mention is that the specific version of the anime that should take precedence is the Blu-ray version, since it's the one that's most final to Kubo's vision. Even after all the oversight, Kubo went and perfected it with that, and they changed some minor shit
Yeah.

Something that I forgot to mention is that the specific version of the anime that should take precedence is the Blu-ray version, since it's the one that's most final to Kubo's vision. Even after all the oversight, Kubo went and perfected it with that, and they changed some minor shit
Yeah albeit it’ll be a while before us English speakers get our hands on that

@LephyrTheRevanchist @LordGriffin1000 @KingTempest

Can you clarify your view on whether the manga or anime would take precedence in the case of discrepancies? We certainly have enough agreement to consider it canon, but we need a firmer consensus on this matter. Myself and Damage believe the manga should take precedence as the original source material, Tracer believes the anime should. It'd help if we had a decisive vote one way or the other.
To make my stance clear, I'm fine with the anime taking precedence over the manga given the situation but in the same lines of what I said before, this means that if something important is outright removed or switched (be it a feat, statement, scaling, or ability) in the anime, the orginal thing from the manga will be removed from the profiles as the anime is the improved version.

To make my stance clear, I'm fine with the anime taking precedence over the manga given the situation but in the same lines of what I said before, this means that if something important is outright removed or switched (be it a feat, statement, scaling, or ability) in the anime, the orginal thing from the manga will be removed from the profiles as the anime is the improved version.
As it should be.

Yeah, I agree that if the anime retcons something, that the anime's version of the same scene would take precedence.

Would you look at that, Griffon, Lephyr, Tracer, and KT could read what was in my OP after all obvious sarcasm aside, thank you all for clarifying your positions

Would you look at that, Griffon, Lephyr, Tracer, and KT could read what was in my OP after all obvious sarcasm aside, thank you all for clarifying your positions
Agreeing doesn't mean they had it in mind specifically from the jump. Regardless, it was necessary to get clarification and a proper vote on that point of contention. I don't mind being outvoted, but the generic agrees weren't enough to settle the matter by themselves.

With that said, assuming there isn't an unexpected influx of contrary votes, we can apply this after the waiting period.

Kubo was infamously ill during his writing of Bleach, and there have historically been scenes included in the anime which were meant to be in the manga but were cut due to his health causing time constraints, the most notable example being the episodes taking place in the Menos Forest, featuring the desolated Shinigami Ashido. These health issues were worse in the TYBW arc, and even caused the ending to be cut short. Kubo even admitted that several characters' entire endings were cut because he only had a few chapters he could finish and prioritized the main characters. This is why the survival of Kisuke Urahara, Yoruichi Shihoin and Grimmjow Jaegerjaques was never shown at the end of the manga. The ending was incomplete, so the anime is going to attempt to release a completed version of it.

So in short, I agree.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back