• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Feed Me Your Wretched Anime Suggestions

Mr. Bambu

Suffer-Not-Injustice Bambu
VS Battles
Joke Battles
Super Moderator
Administrator
Calculation Group
Silver Supporter
We're back, gentlemen. One anime a year, every year.

You know the drill. Give me your recommendations, and I will at least consider them. Posting "Dragon Ball" or something similar will be taken as an admission of severe dehydration which has understandably reduced your mental faculties, it can happen to anyone and I encourage you to drink up to restore yourself.

Some of you have even lined up suggestions from last year, when I watched Hellsing. It was acceptable, didn't come close to the score to beat: Neon Genesis Evangelion is still the best any of you troglodytes have brought me. I look forward to the suggestions.

As before:
  • I will watch dubbed over subbed. If this is a dealbreaker, hit da bricks.
  • I don't care much about quality of animation. It is unlikely that the animation is what will make me like it, it's just not my aesthetic taste.
  • I would prefer something of moderate or short length. 50+ episodes doesn't disqualify you, but it does hurt the likelihood of me watching all of it.
Of course, don't take offense if I just say "no". I am a crotchety old man with bitterness in my heart, and all this newfangled jibber-jabber deserves me making fun of it from time to time. Good hunting.

Suggestions:

Last edited:
I'd suggest Black Lagoon, but I have yet to watch it myself. Heard it was good though, and it should suit your tastes. I believe it's also got an English dub

I've read the manga, not seen the anime (which I hear is really good), but I think you'd enjoy Pluto- it's fairly short (8 episodes), I think dark and serious enough to play to your tastes and overall generally very well-written. General gist is there's a sci-fi society where robots and humans coexist (it's very inspired by Aasimov's works), and a serial killer begins to destroy the last existing "super" robots in the world (created before certain regulations brought on by a war), as well as people who had a certain role in the above war, with the protagonist being a detective who takes on this case. I don't think it's the best manga I've read but it's extremely solid and I think you'd enjoy it. It's technically a remake of an Astro Boy story but you don't necessarily need to be familiar to enjoy it (I wasn't).

You will fight in the crucible alongside the other petitioners.
eldenring_fat_crucible_knight_by_tukumo99_dfomyrg-pre.jpg

Chuunibyou
a rom-com series with slapstick as most of its comedy and coming of age drama about the MC trying to grow out of him having grandiose delusions while the FMC have one and isn't interested of abandoning them unlike the MC
vx1vAWt.png

gonna straight up say "no" to Madoka Magica, otherwise all the suggestions are added up there. I am not directly opposed to something less somber than my usual fare, such as a rom-com bildungsroman. I liked the Studio Ghibli stuff I watched as a kid. Unlikely victor, but it goes to the board regardless.

Pluto was very good. Sort of like a noir old school sci-fi.

But my suggestion is Frieren. It's a very well done fantasy anime about a long lived elf outliving her party and has very good writing, interesting world building, good fight scenes, and is just honestly one of the stand out anime this season.

Well this kind of limits options. I'd recommend Code Geass. Dub is good and its around 50 episodes, so it should fall within ur requirements.
The purpose is to limit options.

Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid. Series about a blue collar office worker getting a Dragon Maid. Pretty wholesome series.

Monster was suggested in one of the earlier threads. Can't remember if it looked really good or really bad. Was one of those two, because it stuck out in my mind.

I'm pretty sure Bambu would rather be subjected to repeated testes beatings than watch this one.
missed this one

...yeah, probably. sorry azontr. that shit does not look like my clique.

Could you explain what made you like EVA so much? This way it's easier to recommend something you'll probably like.

What's the genre u most interested in?ヾ⁠(⁠ ͝⁠°⁠ ͜⁠ʖ͡⁠°⁠)⁠ノ⁠♪

Well one of my suggestion is CHARLOTTE

bro who the fuck suggested Dragon Maid. i wouldn't suggest that shit to anyone, let alone a guy who's one of the most anti-weeb people i know of

Anyways, while I've only just started the manga, I've heard that Dungeon Meshi (or Delicious in Dungeon) is exceptionally good. Author's a big high fantasy/D&D fan (here's some of her Baldur's Gate fanart, for reference), and it evidently bleeds into her work a lot, so it sounds right up your alley. The anime's ongoing, but I've heard nothing but good things about it (the manga is finished, though, if you'd prefer that route).

Last edited:
Back