• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

TYBW Anime is Canon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Manga>anime canon
Unfortunately you saying that means nothing. If Kubo adds more to the anime that he couldn’t to the manga, and states that he’s doing as much, then whatever the author’s most up to date vision is, is what’s most canon.

Meh, might as well.

87ng1ejr5a681.jpg
image.png

unknown.png
image.png

Intro
This thread will be to talk about the TYBW anime’s canonicity, and I believe it should be held in regard with equal weight, if not superior to the manga.

Evidence
  1. Kubo is confident in the anime being faithful to his vision.
  2. Kubo and Pierrot have been going back and forth several times with developing the anime.
  3. Kubo acknowledges that there will be new scenes.
  4. Kubo is the one inserting the new scenes.
  5. Kubo reviews and watches what Pierrot does with his suggestions.
  6. Kubo believes that Pierrot is taking his suggestions seriously.
  7. Kubo is involved in every step of the process.
  8. Kubo believes his extensive involvement is what will help elevate the anime.
Verdict
I think it’s self-evident from Kubo’s numerous statements regarding his in depth involvement in the anime, that the TYBW anime should be considered canon to the main story of Bleach. Especially so when considering that: A) he’s involved in every step of the way, and B) he’s incorporating shit in the anime that he didn’t get to put in the manga. This means that the anime will provide a more comprehensive and complete version of Kubo’s vision for the TYBW than the manga could. All of which is not surprising, given how Kubo’s decking health had led him to rush the TYBW manga conclusion. I think we can all agree too, for those who have scene the anime, that the additions in cour 1 alone have already done wonders in fleshing out the more vague aspects of the first invasion.

Conclusion
I’m sure most of y’all won’t find this controversial, I’m just making this for formality’s sake. The conclusion is that the TYBW anime is canon and takes precedence as an adaptation, since it is a more completed version of Kubo’s vision for his story.

Agree: Lephyr, Tracer
Neutral:
Disagree:
Agree.

Not a Bleach expert, but the OP is clear enough for anyone to understand. I think the evidence is very convincing, and this is super straightforward. Easy agree.

Obviously any new and additional scenes that occur during the course of the anime will be fully canon. Kubo himself states that he has, is and will be adding a lot of extra content to the anime that for one reason or another didn't make it into the manga. A quick reminder that in an interview from 2013, Kubo shares that he plans to make the TYBW longer than the Arrancar arc. As you're probably aware due to his poor health he had to cut a lot of corners and even then barely managed to finish the arc. In a more recent interview he even states that at some point he wanted to introduce the readers to the West Branch of the Soul Society during the TYBW arc but he didn't get the chance to.

I’m sure most of y’all won’t find this controversial, I’m just making this for formality’s sake. The conclusion is that the TYBW anime is canon and takes precedence as an adaptation, since it is a more completed version of Kubo’s vision for his story.

I don't really have a problem with the anime being treated as canon, but I do have an issue with it being taken as precedence. I think the original manga should hold the highest weight, but new additions from the anime or clarifying issues shouldn't be a problem.

I don't really have a problem with the anime being treated as canon, but I do have an issue with it being taken as precedence. I think the original manga should hold the highest weight, but new additions from the anime or clarifying issues shouldn't be a problem.
I disagree. We know Kubo wants to add a shit ton of stuff he couldn’t fit in the manga. And at the pace we are going, the ending elite Sternritter fights might get changed around a lot. In which case, Kubo would simply be retconning the original material with the newer more up to date version of his vision.

I disagree. We know Kubo wants to add a shit ton of stuff he couldn’t fit in the manga. And at the pace we are going, the ending elite Sternritter fights might get changed around a lot. In which case, Kubo would simply be retconning the original material with the newer more up to date version of his vision.
That's fair, I'm just posting my perspective on it.

If it was up to me, both mediums would simply be separate canons completely. It's the best way to make everyone happy.

If there is no change in the story line, it doesn't make sense to separate the canon. Additional material is different from changing a part of the story

I guess this is fine.

Arc and Bleach goons digging their own grave because when the anime retcons something important in the manga, we throw are heads back and laugh as it will be removed from the profile... yes I know this could technically happen the other way around but don't ruin the possibility.

This discussion is important, and in my opinion it is good to make it clear before the 2nd part of the anime comes. We will have new scenes of Ukitake (Mimihagi), we will have flashbacks of Reio, we will have tokinada (material novel). New scenes with the quincys outside fighting.

Last edited:
Shouldn't be a separate canon at all. It's the same story with more elaboration from the anime. Simply use both.

Don't know why this wiki is so afraid of just... accepting different medians as further sources for the same continuity, especially when it comes to adaptations of Japanese works.

The only reason I think we need seperate canon is if there's any direct contradiction in the manga compared to the anime. For example, Ukitake doesn't die in the anime meanwhile, he's dead in the manga. Or Komamura doesn't get nerfed into a dog in the anime after using his bankai while the manga makes him a literal dog at the ending. Or in powerscaling, Aizen suddenly performs a multiversal feat in the anime while the manga counterpart of the very same abilities isn't shown to perform anything relatively close.

In those cases, there would need to be a seperate canon for the anime and manga. The same happened to DBS where Goku was universal in one and low multi in the other.

The only reason I think we need seperate canon is if there's any direct contradiction in the manga compared to the anime. For example, Ukitake doesn't die in the anime meanwhile, he's dead in the manga. Or Komamura doesn't get nerfed into a dog in the anime after using his bankai while the manga makes him a literal dog at the ending. Or in powerscaling, Aizen suddenly performs a multiversal feat in the anime while the manga counterpart of the very same abilities isn't shown to perform anything relatively close.

In those cases, there would need to be a seperate canon for the anime and manga. The same happened to DBS where Goku was universal in one and low multi in the other.
No so what you don’t understand is Kubo had to tremendously rush the ending do to his poor health. So he legitimately could not include what wanted to with his torn shoulder. That’s why the anime, which adds on to what he couldn’t takes more precedence

No so what you don’t understand is Kubo had to tremendously rush the ending do to his poor health. So he legitimately could not include what wanted to with his torn shoulder. That’s why the anime, which adds on to what he couldn’t takes more precedence
Pretty sure it doesn't make any difference in his health if he showed a Multiversal statement/feat for a character in the manga rather than the anime. The only argument you could make is regarding the length of the manga rather than what important feats gets contradicted in the anime. If the feats in the anime differ from the manga, then it should be in a seperate canon. We do these for LN's and WN's and we also did this for DBS anime/manga.

Pretty sure it doesn't make any difference in his health if he showed a Multiversal statement/feat for a character in the manga rather than the anime. The only argument you could make is regarding the length of the manga rather than what important feats gets contradicted in the anime. If the feats in the anime differ from the manga, then it should be in a seperate canon. We do these for LN's and WN's and we also did this for DBS anime/manga.
With the rework of fights, addition of new explanations it is obvious that some characters will have a possible change in their scale. For example Omaeda will have more screen time and development in this new adaptation for Cour 2. And honestly I doubt that something like a feat much above the scale of the manga will happen, what is being done is a polishing of the raw material that already exists, that who are doing in Anime Tybw. No, something like DBS will not happen, there is no way to compare it, DB is an irregular series in many ways and everyone knows that, it would be the real exception.

With the rework of fights, addition of new explanations it is obvious that some characters will have a possible change in their scale. For example Omaeda will have more screen time and development in this new adaptation for Cour 2. And honestly I doubt that something like a feat much above the scale of the manga will happen, what is being done is a polishing of the raw material that already exists, that who are doing in Anime Tybw. No, something like DBS will not happen, there is no way to compare it, DB is an irregular series in many ways and everyone knows that, it would be the real exception.
Regardless of whatever happens featwise, if both the manga and anime are completely canon, there's no reason to nitpick one canon over the other hence, we have to create seperate canons. If Omaeda becomes planetary in the anime, then it would have it's own seperate canon route for anime while his inferior manga tier remains canon as well

Regardless of whatever happens featwise, if both the manga and anime are completely canon, there's no reason to nitpick one canon over the other hence, we have to create seperate canons. If Omaeda becomes planetary in the anime, then it would have it's own seperate canon route for anime while his inferior manga tier remains canon as well
Both are canon and this is a fact, the main point is that the anime is the final polishing of Kubo within its own story, and as Arc mentioned in the starting post, possibly a superior canon to the manga, due to the way it is being done, the author's involvement, the status of the ending of the manga. Separation from canon should only be cited if there is something very off the charts within the anime, and yet we could just ignore it and move forward with just one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back