• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Unsure what 'based' means in this context

But on the scale of "popular saitama matches" not really, you gotta remember there were more popular Saitama matches than an average character had total matchups.
again, buy what metric?
you have to consider what we see to what Ben and Co. see in the inbox of suggestions
we know obvious ones like Goku and Superman were at the top for Caped Baldy but so was Popeye and nothing suggested he wasn't sitting at the top as well

Unsure what 'based' means in this context

They can be introduced well if they bring up how iconic and influential they are, not every character we've had has been über popular and I think at this point they have enough viewers to take such a risk with less conventional non-US/Japan characters.
the only Characters you can expect is something like Kamen Rider
plus you have to actually push for those characters to actually be on and be something the crew are familiar with
look at Bucky O'Hare he would never be on DB if Ben wasn't familiar with him

same with Lucy if she didn't fought Carnage she would never been on DB

at the end of the day DB a Business one that do MU half the time based on the Characters Popularity

again, buy what metric?
you have to consider what we see to what Ben and Co. see in the inbox of suggestions
we know obvious ones like Goku and Superman were at the top for Caped Baldy but so was Popeye and nothing suggested he wasn't sitting at the top as well
How about the fact that if you got to google images and duck duck go there are usually 9 or so matches before the first mention of Popeye vs Saitama (not including images related to the actual match) or how AnimationRewinds Popeye vs Saitama got about as much views as Saitama vs Godzilla of all things.

How about the fact that if you got to google images and duck duck go there are usually 9 or so matches before the first mention of Popeye vs Saitama (not including images related to the actual match) or how AnimationRewinds Popeye vs Saitama got about as much views as Saitama vs Godzilla of all things.

a vidya of both characters got 5.9 mil
using Aniamtion Rewind is laughable there not DB nor do they
and relying on google ain't a great bet cause lets look at Crona case how many were screaming for the former to fight Venom comparison to Shiro going by google it wasn't even a contest yet who did Ben say was the Formers top picks?
Venom and Carnage

Astérix

And yeah that's definitely an issue in my opinion, they're eventually going to run out of popular characters from media originating in US or Japan, it'd spice things up to diversify things. Like, El Chapulín Colorado is a fairly iconic character in the Hispanic and Latin American hemisphere (pretty sure he's well known by people in the US as well, at least some) and was recently added to Fortnite, that's another character they should bring in one day.
Kinda surprised Gandalf vs Dumbledore from the UK hasn't shown up yet.

Or the Doctor for that matter.

a vidya of both characters got 5.9 mil
By that logic Golden Frieza vs Asterix must also be a popular match since that channel did that to and got 3.1 million views.
using Aniamtion Rewind is laughable there not DB nor do they
Animation Rewind is like DB with a lower budget and poor quality control, it can be a good gadge on what characters are popular and what matches those characters have.
and relying on google ain't a great bet cause lets look at Crona case how many were screaming for the former to fight Venom comparison to Shiro going by google it wasn't even a contest yet who did Ben say was the Formers top picks?
I can't understand half of this but there was a reason I used both Google and Duckduckgo, google uses an algorithm when searching while Duckduckgo doesn't, by using both you can see what matches are actually discussed and not be sewed.

But on the scale of "popular saitama matches" not really, you gotta remember there were more popular Saitama matches than an average character had total matchups.
And among the Saitama matchups... Saitama vs Popeye takes quite a big spot.
Compared to vs Goku, vs Superman, vs Squirrel Girl, vs Axe Cop, vs Krillin, vs Shiki Tohno, ...
And remember 2018 RTX - when Saitama is being requested for a Death Battle, the other word heard from the fans was Popeye.

oh yeah gandalf vs dumbledore hasn't happened yet, thats insane
Behold Gandalf vs Dalinar Kholin or Dalinar Kholin vs Albus Dumbledore.

Oh Gandalf vs Dalinar Kholin is a Community Death Battle so that is a thing.

Well Neo vs Wesker exists before Neo vs Kirito so... Goodbye to Kirito vs Neo and hello to Kirito vs Shiroe or Maple?

Crona vs Venom vs Crona vs Shiro/Ganta

I can't understand half of this but there was a reason I used both Google and Duckduckgo, google uses an algorithm when searching while Duckduckgo doesn't, by using both you can see what matches are actually discussed and not be sewed.
I shall try on some of the matchups myself.

Like has anyone tested it with your favorite matchups?

Last edited:
Another one that just came to mind, thinking of representatives from other countries, is Sherlock Holmes VS Tintin

I can't quite think of a better match for those two

Kinda surprised Gandalf vs Dumbledore from the UK hasn't shown up yet.

Or the Doctor for that matter.
That too... Is Harry Potter the only UK representative in DB? I can't think of any others...

the only Characters you can expect is something like Kamen Rider
plus you have to actually push for those characters to actually be on and be something the crew are familiar with
look at Bucky O'Hare he would never be on DB if Ben wasn't familiar with him

same with Lucy if she didn't fought Carnage she would never been on DB

at the end of the day DB a Business one that do MU half the time based on the Characters Popularity

I mean Kamen Rider's on the same boat as Astérix, except I'd argue more people know about Astérix. The DB crew is full of old guys, surely at least one of them must've heard of Astérix.

Also, by pushing you mean you actually have to go to them and tell them to do it? Like a request?

Another one that just came to mind, thinking of representatives from other countries, is Sherlock Holmes VS Tintin

I can't quite think of a better match for those two

That too... Is Harry Potter the only UK representative in DB? I can't think of any others...

I mean Kamen Rider's on the same boat as Astérix, except I'd argue more people know about Astérix. The DB crew is full of old guys, surely at least one of them must've heard of Astérix.

Also, by pushing you mean you actually have to go to them and tell them to do it? Like a request?
Sherlock Holmes VS Tintin
Sherlock Holmes VS Hercule Poirot exists.

Kamen Rider's on the same boat as Astérix
Ironic as Kamen Rider is popular all over the world and still has residual heat in Asia.

at the end of the day DB a business one that do MU half the time based on the characters' popularity
Then it makes weird business sense to overuse comic book characters when characters from popular franchises all over the world are still queuing up to show up a face. And then the crew decides to have a cereal mascot battle royale.
Or the crew dishes out Crona vs Venom when people are ordering for Crona vs Shiro/Ganta.

Sherlock Holmes VS Hercule Poirot exists
That one fits a little better though Tintin can also be a detective, and Tintin is naturally the more popular character given Hergé's presence in the realm of bandes dessinées and comics.

Ironic as Kamen Rider is popular all over the world and still has residual heat in Asia
Astérix has enjoyed worldwide popularity, but Kamen Rider? His stuff has been adapted to very few other languages. Astérix was being translated all over the globe only a few years after its creation. Both are giants in their respective countries and products are still being made for their franchises, but far more has been done with Astérix around the world, even in Kamen Rider's country of origin. Japan loved Astérix at its peak of popularity. It also helps that Astérix is a good deal older, and yet it's still doing well, just not as well as it used to after the passings of its creators.

Kamen Rider's probably gonna show up first though because at least there has been a ton of Japanese stuff in the whole show, and none for France.

Then it makes weird business sense to overuse comic book characters when characters from popular franchises all over the world are still queuing up to show up a face
Comic books have always been immensely popular and historically significant so it makes sense to have them.

Plus, most early versus debates on the internet featured comic book characters, so that fits.

Well, that's weird...
... Sherlock Holmes should fight Arsène Lupin, like come on.
Even better actually lol

It will be too risky to reach out to characters the states aren't familiar with. No, they do not have the views to do so, with Korra vs Storm and Link vs Cloud 2 doing rather poorly this year, and those are familiar names/franchises. Sorry, but it will only be characters that the states are familiar with and expecting otherwise will only lead to disappointment. These are the guys who still bring up how disappointed they are that He-Man vs Lion-O didn't do big chungus numbers or how they blew up their budget with Power Rangers vs Voltron, only for that fight to peform worse than ******* Johnny Cage vs Captain Falcon/Meta vs Carolina/Shredder vs Silver Samurai

"What about Lucy vs Carnage! It did good and nobody knew who Lucy was!"

Lucy vs Carnage worked because it fit the theme of "Beauty vs Beast". Sure Lucy is no actual beauty, but the normies don't know that when they click. They see a cute anime girl facing off against a monster comic book character in the thumbnail. They actually portrayed her as a cute anime girl at the start of the fight. Combine that with EL's legacy and you get a decent match-up.

They tried repeating that with Crona vs Venom, but Venom has already been used once at that point.

and no, asking the community if they want those MUs won't help. I remember the season 8 second half trailer coming out and a lot of people were excited for MM vs KAM. Some commented that was only the fight they were excited for and look how that turned out.

Popular character vs popular character no longer attracts viewers that much. The fight has to be thematic, debatable, and engaging. and of course the animation itself has to really sell the match-up as well.

"What about Lucy vs Carnage! It did good and nobody knew who Lucy was!"

Lucy vs Carnage worked because it fit the theme of "Beauty vs Beast". Sure Lucy is no actual beauty, but the normies don't know that when they click. They see a cute anime girl facing off against a monster comic book character in the thumbnail. They actually portrayed her as a cute anime girl at the start of the fight. Combine that with EL's legacy and you get a decent match-up.
She isnt that ugly tho either, she looks decent, as Nyu she is quite adorable even

It will be too risky to reach out to characters the states aren't familiar with. No, they do not have the views to do so, with Korra vs Storm and Link vs Cloud 2 doing rather poorly this year, and those are familiar names/franchises. Sorry, but it will only be characters that the states are familiar with and expecting otherwise will only lead to disappointment.
I mean in the long run using only familiar characters in the USA will only lead to more bland and uninteresting MU by overrelying on the same characters/franchises over and over, which will affect the view's numbers.

You even say that popular characters alone no longer attracts viewers as much as before, at some point they will have to allow franchises less familiar to their american audiance if they want to invigorate the series.

Last edited:
So since part 6 is out now, i think it'll be appropriate if i post this MU
Trashed_in_heaven.png

Goenitz vs Pucci (King Of Fighters vs Jojo)
Connections:
Both are evil priests, who are the main antagonists in the installments in which they appear in (KOF 96 and Stone Ocean, respectively). Both dedicated their lives to people they worship (Orochi and Dio). Their obsession with said people began when they were young (Goenitz already knew his duty as one of the Orochi's heavenly kings since he was a child and Pucci met Dio when he was 16 years old). Both can mess with people's memories (Goenitz via his memory sealing powers and Pucci via stealing memory disc with Whitesnake). Both have body parts of the people they adore (Goenitz has Orochi's blood, while Pucci has Dio's bones). Both have used said parts to gain new abilitites (Goenitz used Orochi's blood to gain the ability to control air, while Pucci used Dio's bones to gain a new stand, C-Moon). Both want to kill the main protagonists (Kyo and Jolyne) due to their families being responsible for their masters' defeat (Kyo's ancestor helped to seal away Orochi, while Jolyne's father, Jotaro killed Dio). Both are helped by the group of three young people who are heavily tied to the people they adore (Goenitz is helped by Chris, Yashiro and Shermie, who have Orochi's blood in them and Pucci is helped by Donatello, Rikiel and Ungalo, who are Dio's children).

Last edited:
Oh.
Let me update something:

1. Jinx is (before the redux calculation blog) Low 7-C for fighting some other champions, one of which fought Malphite - but nobody knows who is fighting on par with it. As the revised blog says that the stone creature is just at least high 8-C, every low tier LOL character will scale from this new set of data. AKA the low tier LOL characters get downgraded, including Jinx.
2. LOL experts are finding clips/excerpts for Malphite running, blocking, squatting, chinning up or wrestling with other creatures of similar sizes. To justify its high end AP, lifting strength and speed.
3. Some LOL experts may even argue nobody scale from Malphite. If nobody is comparable to it or even fought it. So yeah dictate the scaling chain thanks.
I mean, it's "our" Jinx (who's frankly still stronger than "our" Harley).
We shall learn more very soon.

Consider myself in, that's sounds interesting.
Count me in too though I may not be the most involved person.

I think a Captain Cold episode would be pretty neat. No clue who he’d fight.
IMG_2064.jpg
Does he Captain Cold have good footage/presence though?

I wonder if we would have Hunter Zolomon or Gorilla Grodd or even Mr. Freeze before him.

But if Captain Cold comes out, I think he will have to fight against Iceman. The Marvel one not the Mega Man one.
Besides... Who can Mr. Freeze fight against?
(And who can Hunter Zolomon fight against aside from Homura Akemi?)

So since part 6 is out now, i think it'll be appropriate if i post this MU
Trashed_in_heaven.png

Goenitz vs Pucci (King Of Fighters vs Jojo)
(Ditto)

Cool.

I mean in the long run using only familiar characters in the USA will only lead to more bland and uninteresting MU by overrelying on the same characters/franchises over and over, which will affect the view's numbers.

You even say that popular characters alone no longer attracts viewers as much as before, at some point they will have to allow franchises less familiar to their american audiance if they want to invigorate the series.
You see ya not wrong when you say this
they have to try and introduce obscure/under the radar franchises onto the show cause at some point you can't rely on the same franchises to get the views 24/7
ya gotta branch out more

however you gotta see in what ways you can draw numbers from em to get decent views at least
like making videos, Trailers or something to get their attention on it tho not guaranteed

You see ya not wrong when you say this
they have to try and introduce obscure/under the radar franchises onto the show cause at some point you can't rely on the same franchises to get the views 24/7
ya gotta branch out more

however you gotta see in what ways you can draw numbers from em to get decent views at least
True

like making videos, Trailers or something to get their attention on it tho not guaranteed
Which software do you use on making / editing videos?

OK, so I've been thinking recently about how it's possible for Shulk to not be the first Xeno JRPG rep we get on Death Battle. I say this because Tatsumaki was the first OPM character we got on the format, and it's only just taken us until now to get Saitama.

So, as your local Xenotard, who could be on the format before him?

1) Rex (XC2)

RexXPhneuma.gif

This is probably the obvious one. You could make the argument that Morag should go first as an XC2 rep to grease the skids for how Driver-Blade combos should work, but not only have we already exercised two Jojo's reps, but if the prospect of 'literally who' is such an issue, then this knocks out several birds with one stone.

As for who he goes up against, well... I think you've seen me rattle off Ouma Shuu (Guilty Crown) as his #1 MU, but if push came to shove, and any of the three main KH reps stepped up to bat, I wouldn't lose a wink of sleep.

2) Melia (XC1)

MeliaStaff.gif

While I may never understand the people who put Alcamoth's Priestess up as one of the game's top waifus, I have to commend the potential of her MU spreads (one post of which I've already outlined). I may also be either appeasing or spiting a former acquaintance, depending on who she goes up against.

3) Albedo (Xenosaga)

AlbedoCropMe2of2.gif

OK, I'll admit, Albedo is legitimately only on this list because I need a villain to point out, and I couldn't be sincere about KOS-MOS's viability on the format (not saying I'm against her, but I don't feel passionately about any of her MUs). Albedo is the best villain in the Xenosaga trilogy, and with the exception of Margulis and maybe Dmitri Yuriev or Luis Virgil, the gap is not even close.

Who could voice these characters on the show is also something I've neglected to mention (partly because DBa has a lack of British VAs, and I don't quite see them bringing in official(s)). You might think that Albedo isn't going to get access to Crispin Freeman, but when considering that Alucard got access to his abridged VA, the card is still on the table (Alucard's non-abridged VA is Crispin Freeman, if you're curious). Then again, Josh Grelle exists, and Albedo's laugh isn't all that hard to replicate, so...

What connections do Gunvolt and K' have?
  • Both were kidnapped by evil organizations as children (Sumeragi and NESTS) and implanted with someone else's power (The First Adept and Kyo Kusanagi)
  • Both have forgotten their names, instead going by the names these organizations gave them
  • Both quickly left these organizations after being saved by someone else
  • Eventually, they saved another experiment from the organization (Joule and Kula), who they became friends with
  • Later on, they were one of the biggest factors in the fall of the organization that created them, in the process defeating someone from the same project that gave them their powers (Asmiov and Krizalid) and the leader/a high-ranking member of the organization with a god complex (Nova and Igniz)
  • Have a debatably non-canon (One appears only in an alternate timeline, the other only appears in a non-canon game) character who was created to replace them by the organization they defected from (Blade and Nameless).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back