• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.
Status
Not open for further replies.
20210906_104202.jpg

I made a dumb thumbnail

20210905_224129.jpg

My friend made this one

Working on a blog post detailing my most wanted matchups. 10 main matchups and 20 honourable mentions.

The honourable mentions are:
Gogeta vs Omegamon (Dragon Ball vs Digimon)
Blaze vs Sailor Mars (Sonic vs Sailor Moon)
Destoroyah vs Iris (Godzilla vs Gamera)
Ego vs Mogo (Marvel vs DC)
Maxwell vs Rudy (Scribblenauts vs ChalkZone)
Captain America vs Kamen Rider Ichigo (Marvel vs Kamen Rider)
Lord Zedd vs Skeletor (Power Rangers vs Masters of the Universe)
Mewtwo vs BlackWarGreymon (Pokémon vs Digimon)
Magneto vs Accelerator (Marvel vs A Certain Magical Index)
Spawn vs Dem-Fiend (Image Comics vs Shin Megami Tensei)
Shifu vs Splinter (Kung Fu Panda vs Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles)
Little Mac vs Makunouchi Ippo (Punch-Out!! vs Hajime no Ippo)
Asura vs Atrocitus (Asura's Wrath vs DC)
Simon Belmont vs Jonathan Joestar (Castlevania vs Jojo's Bizarre Adventure) (mostly here because a Belmont is long overdue, and Belmonts have no better matchups)
Doomsday vs SCP-682 (DC vs SCP)
Remui Hukarei vs Yusuke Urameshi (Touhou Project vs Yu Yu Hakusho) (here because Touhou is overdue)
Kano vs Right Hand Man (Mortal Kombat vs Henry Stickmin)
Travis Touchdown vs Jack Cayman (No More Heroes vs MadWorld)
Shulk vs Lightning (Xenoblade Chronicles vs Final Fantasy)
Kyle Rayner vs Simon the Digger (DC vs Tengen Toppa Gurren Laggan)

Last edited:
Working on a blog post detailing my most wanted matchups. 10 main matchups and 20 honourable mentions.

The honourable mentions are:
Gogeta vs Omegamon (Dragon Ball vs Digimon)
Blaze vs Sailor Mars (Sonic vs Sailor Moon)
Destoroyah vs Iris (Godzilla vs Gamera)
Ego vs Mogo (Marvel vs DC)
Maxwell vs Rudy (Scribblenauts vs ChalkZone)
Captain America vs Kamen Rider Ichigo (Marvel vs Kamen Rider)
Lord Zedd vs Skeletor (Power Rangers vs Masters of the Universe)
Mewtwo vs BlackWarGreymon (Pokémon vs Digimon)
Magneto vs Accelerator (Marvel vs A Certain Magical Index)
Spawn vs Dem-Fiend (Image Comics vs Shin Megami Tensei)
Shifu vs Splinter (Kung Fu Panda vs Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles)
Little Mac vs Makunouchi Ippo (Punch-Out!! vs Hajime no Ippo)
Asura vs Atrocitus (Asura's Wrath vs DC)
Simon Belmont vs Jonathan Joestar (Castlevania vs Jojo's Bizarre Adventure) (mostly here because a Belmont is long overdue, and Belmonts have no better matchups)
Doomsday vs SCP-682 (DC vs SCP)
Remui Hukarei vs Yusuke Urameshi (Touhou Project vs Yu Yu Hakusho) (here because Touhou is overdue)
Kano vs Right Hand Man (Mortal Kombat vs Henry Stickmin)
Travis Touchdown vs Jack Cayman (No More Heroes vs MadWorld)
Shulk vs Lightning (Xenoblade Chronicles vs Final Fantasy)
Kyle Rayner vs Simon the Digger (DC vs Tengen Toppa Gurren Laggan)
An exquisite and based list

Richter vs Zangetsu?
Good luck they would not deem any indie game too niche.

Well they can have Shovel Knight at Season 4, Lucy (Elfen Lied) at Season 5 just to have Beerus vs Sailor Galaxia at Season 7 and Heihachi vs Geese at Season 8 so anything goes.

Bruh the MU is not even bad calm down. I've posted why it's thematic and works.
Shulk vs Lightning (Xenoblade Chronicles vs Final Fantasy) is overdue and Rooster Teeth missed one good chance to air it during Season 7.
(And even to the normies they are notable JRPG protagonists who fought gods and wields blades)
Deeper close connections? Notable god-slaying JRPG protagonists tasked with defying fate to save their worlds from devastation. Both are skilled swordsmen wielding magical weaponry, they both lost their parents at a young age, and both have abilities related to time somehow (Shulk's precognition and Lightning's hax). Both have also made appearances as playable fighting characters in crossover games (Smash Bros. and Dissidia) and would appear as supporting characters to their games' sequels (Xenoblade Chronicles 2's DLC and Final Fantasy XIII-2).

Technically it is "closer" than P5 Joker vs Giorno Giovanna so yay for me.

Just... anyone able to tell me more about The Undertaker or any other cosmic feats at WWE? I hear Kool-Aid Man wins if Randy Savage does not have any feat or scaling above planet level since it is rumored Kool-Aid Man has once merged with a planet.

Last edited:
What were they?
Both start off as workers for their homes (Lightning's a solider while Shulk's a mechanic) when a race of creatures destroy their home (the Mechon destroying Colony 9, and the Fal'Cie destroying Bodhum) "killing" someone they love in the process (Serah and Fiora) and during said attack something happens to the MC changing their life forever (Lightning becomes a L'Cie while Shulk awakens his power to see visions). After said attack both vow revenge against the race that wronged them going on a world wide hunt for a way to end them while also recruiting people that also hate said race to their cause. After a while both reunite with the one they lost at the beginning, said loved one becoming a version of someone else (Serah becoming the new Yuel and Firoa becoming Mayneth's vessel). And both defeat the person that was the initial cause for the attack and leader of the enemy species (Orphan and Egil). Though both do eventually forgive the race at large realizing that people are only people. Both eventually also come to realize that the god they saw as an ally (Buniniveze and Zanza) was manipulating them this entire time, and conditioning them to become a tool to them (Etro and one of Zanza's disciples). Both eventually defeat the god and loosen their grip on humanity by using their new found powers) to create a world where the gods are no longer needed.

Both start off as workers for their homes (Lightning's a solider while Shulk's a mechanic) when a race of creatures destroy their home (the Mechon destroying Colony 9, and the Fal'Cie destroying Bodhum) "killing" someone they love in the process (Serah and Fiora) and during said attack something happens to the MC changing their life forever (Lightning becomes a L'Cie while Shulk awakens his power to see visions). After said attack both vow revenge against the race that wronged them going on a world wide hunt for a way to end them while also recruiting people that also hate said race to their cause. After a while both reunite with the one they lost at the beginning, said loved one becoming a version of someone else (Serah becoming the new Yuel and Firoa becoming Mayneth's vessel). And both defeat the person that was the initial cause for the attack and leader of the enemy species (Orphan and Egil). Though both do eventually forgive the race at large realizing that people are only people. Both eventually also come to realize that the god they saw as an ally (Buniniveze and Zanza) was manipulating them this entire time, and conditioning them to become a tool to them (Etro and one of Zanza's disciples). Both eventually defeat the god and loosen their grip on humanity by using their new found powers) to create a world where the gods are no longer needed.
Works for me

Bruh the MU is not even bad calm down.

I'm being mostly facetious, but yeah, I think you already know my stance on it. I feel about it how @The_Smashor feels about Reverse Flash.

I've posted why it's thematic and works.

So did I with Kirito and Zael, and while I understand the massive paragraphs being written out, I'd prefer these kinds of god-slayer matchups to be about the more abstract concepts rather than making both characters sound like plot beats cribbed verbatim.

Speaking of...

Not like Shulk has better so don't see any harm with the MU

And_I_Took_That_PersonallyKiri.png

For Kirito (Post-Aincard), basically I have my own stance that not everyone shares too:
His best rivals for a Death Battle is Shiroe and Maple (BOFURI). Okay Bofuri is too new and a bit niche but I know SAO and LH sort of has a rivalry and the two MUs I pick tackles the most subtle problems working with skilled "ordinary man" online players with OP online game avatars in VR MMOG.

Now I have a hypothesis: Kool-Aid Man may actually win even if he does not have the merge with planet feat. (Not that he needs to be 5-B to merge into a planet since he has hax) Oh hax... Randy Savage has any counter against portal creation and possession? I am skeptical on his existence erasure stated on his DBW profile but apparently he has resistance against mind manipulation so hypnosis means little.

About time for me to get to bed too.
df1aff8395678d11b99b575f0e3b19d5.gif

Last edited:
Seriously, it would be pure PR bs for this season to be legacy season if DBZ can't get a match but "ofc we need a Marvel vs DC episode".

Not that this season has been bad, its been good, but overhyping can be dangerous.
tell me about it
we have one MU left which could be it but just think about it
Goku vs Superman is the channel most viewed episode to this day and practically brought DB into massive popularity
and the last two DB fights brought massive Views on DB
also just realize Beerus vs Galaxia got taken down again

Similar stories are the most important part of connections as they basically tell why characters are similar and how they connect. Similar powers is a similarity but if it's just "they have similar powers", that isn't gonna cut it.
Ehh similar stories only can lead to weird MUs.

Gonna respond to both of these, because I think it's worth saying:

Thinking about this more deeply, I realise that objecting to Shulk vs Lightning despite the paragraphs that spell their viability out is going to make me sound like a hypocrite (maybe because I'm in no way familiar with FF13? Idk, I hear most people dunking on the game anyway, so it's probably why I don't want it).

Let's take something like Elly vs Asuna as an example of mine. I mention both of them being ex-militaristic, whilst falling for the leading male (Fei/Kirito) which prompts them to pull out.

Question: Did I ever say that both of these things happen in the same order?

Answer: No

If I am to respond to the paragraphs that have been written out, I would infer that the 'invasion of a home' / 'obtained god power' tropes happen in the same order as each other (I.E: story beats). But in the case of Elly vs Asuna, they do not.

Elly confronts Fei in a forest during Fei's self-imposed exile from his home town while Elly is already a top agent for Solaris, whereas Asuna only becomes one of KoB's best because she interpreted Kirito's suggestion that way after clearing the first floor of Aincrad. The key here is that SAO found enough time to flesh out the relationship after the most infamous crisis point of it's main arc (Aincrad/Alfheim), and while you could make the argument that Xenogears does something similar in it's downtime, both plots are not structured the same (obviously...) in the sense that Xenogears plot can be interpreted as a 'crisis point' all the way through, whereas Aincrad is but one eighth of that (depending on which medium you use).

Another contrast is that Lacan and Sophia (being Fei and Elly's past selves) being reincarnations of playable characters serve as a contrast to Kirito and Asuna just being two teens with a thing for each other (unless you interpret the Star King and Queen aliases as something different, in which case... yeah, that works too). Without coming off as too pretentious, the way this is worked into plot is a comparison between the serpent eating it's own tail (seen in at least a few religious texts), and in-universe history of a plot being used to remind the viewer where they are in relation to the current day.

So, before I go off into a James May-style overarching ramble, I'll leave on this question:

What are the contrasts of these specific matchups that we are suggesting? And how can they be worked into an episode?

tell me about it
we have one MU left which could be it but just think about it
Goku vs Superman is the channel most viewed episode to this day and practically brought DB into massive popularity
and the last two DB fights brought massive Views on DB
also just realize Beerus vs Galaxia got taken down again
It'll be back up again within the month. Honestly, whoever at Toei, Shueisha or otherwise is responsible for that needs to stop, because they're going to lose every single time, and its kinda embarrassing watching them do this with Death Battle.

The stuff with hacking we already know how it’ll turn out, from Batmany Beyond vs Spiderman 2099. Batman was able to repel hacking efforts from Brainiac, so the chances of hacking working are very small. Heck, it’s more likely to go the other way with Batman hacking Tony’s stuff.

The stuff with hacking we already know how it’ll turn out, from Batmany Beyond vs Spiderman 2099. Batman was able to repel hacking efforts from Brainiac, so the chances of hacking working are very small. Heck, it’s more likely to go the other way with Batman hacking Tony’s stuff.
That's the beyond suit though, we don't know if any of Bruce's suite can do that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back