• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.
Also can I just say the state of the DCEU fandom on places like Twitter rn is extremely toxic with Snyderverse fans and Snyder haters refusing to see good in any product released not on their side. I know those are a minority of both sides but they're extremely loud on social media. Some of the fans of the new Batman movie have even now manufactured hate for Christopher Nolan.

It was especially annoying a while ago since I'm both a big fan of Man of Steel and The Suicide Squad when some Snyder and Gunn fans were having a go at each other. Some of them saying the 2016 Suicide Squad is far superior to Gunn's film is not the own they think it is when they're supporting the studio bastardized version over the one with creative freedom in which they supposedly support.

Anyway on a happier note I've watched all the old Batman movies (theatres are still closed here for The Batman smh smh smh) and here's my ranking (probably a bit controversial with the older movies since I'm watching them from a modern perspective and don't have my rose-tinted nostalgia glasses on)

1. The Dark Knight

Just like Spider-Man 2, you hear about how great it is all the time and start to think it's overrated, but when you sit down and watch it again you realize yeah it is that good.

2. Zack Snyder's Justice League

I mean it's the ******* Justice League, what can I say. Batman in this movie is someone who is trying to right his wrongs in BvS and bring together a team to save the planet, and his journey was extremely compelling to watch. This film is 4 hours of pure Zack Snyder and although it might get annoying at times I'm happy knowing this is an artist's true vision. The story behind how this film came to be is also amazing.

3. Batman Begins

A perfect origin story for Batman that reinvented the character and revolutionized modern capeshit, but the no kill rule violations really annoyed me lmao since this Batman is supposed to have one. Man blew up the entire League of Shadows which probably also killed the guy he refused to kill 5 minutes ago.

4. Batman: Mask of the Phantasm

I actually find this movie a bit overrated, maybe it's because I'm not a big fan of animation in the first place (didn't find Spiderverse as great as people say too) and I don't have the nostalgia factor of Kevin Conroy's Batman but I just don't understand why people claim this is the perfect Batman movie that rises above the rest of them. I found the plot and themes overly simplistic.

5. The Lego Batman Movie

A movie made for kids and not really a serious Batman movie but still manages to explore and poke fun at the character of Batman and his isolation.

6. The Dark Knight Rises

Flawed and frustrating movie, definitely on of Nolan's weakest works with a plot riddled with holes and characters and themes underveloped, but nevertheless a satisfying conclusion to the series.

7. Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice

I've grown to respect this movie a lot more over the years, I'm understanding what Zack Snyder attempted to this movie and I definitely view it as more of an ambitious movie trying to explore a lot of interesting philosophical concepts now rather than a pretentious and soulless punch fest as many people claimed at the time. Unfortunately on rewatch I still don't think those great ideas are executed very well. I don't think it deserved the hate it got, but personally I still don't like it all that much. I actually don't have a problem with the concept of an older and more cynical Batman becoming a killer, I think that's an interesting concept, but again I don't think the execution on exploring that was done very well (which is basically most of the ideas of this movie imo). Personally I think if Zack Snyder restrained himself from having all those cool fight scenes where Batman goes full Punisher and treated Batman attempting to murder Superman as the horror it should be before the "Martha" moment snaps him out of it it would have been more well-received. Still, I think it's enjoyable enough to put at the halfway point of my ranking.

8. Batman Returns

You can probably tell I don't like the Tim Burton films as I'm watching from a modern perspective. They're incredibly style over substance in my opinion with a plot that makes no sense, a lot of weird Tim Burton things and he just doesn't seem that interested in Batman as a character other than being a mysterious vigilante. I do prefer Batman Returns over the original though because this is the film where Tim Burton just goes full Tim Burton melancholic weirdo exploration and I always enjoy seeing different creators' visions.

9. Batman Forever

I actually find Val Kilmer's Batman underrated. I really like how this movie focused on Batman as a character unlike the Tim Burton movies. The switch to a light and campy tone was definitely a misfire but I can't blame Joel Schumacher for that. #ReleaseTheSchumacherCut

10. Batman 1989

I don't like Batman 1989. The aesthetics of Gotham are cool, Batman is really cool, Joker is really cool, and that's about it. The story makes no sense and the film gets kinda boring in my opinion once the rule of cool wears off.

11. Batman 1966

Just a movie of its time that fully embraces the campiness and I can appreciate it for that. It is kinda funny at times indeed.

12. Batman & Robin

Now that I watch it it's kinda so bad it's good. Unintentionally funny and definitely worth a watch with your cynical friends to poke fun at it together.

13. Justice League

Actually not that bad of a movie at the time, but with all the behind the scenes drama coming out and it becoming clear that this was the studio ******* up Zack Snyder's creative vision I'm going to put it last.

It was especially annoying a while ago since I'm both a big fan of Man of Steel and The Suicide Squad when some Snyder and Gunn fans were having a go at each other. Some of them saying the 2016 Suicide Squad is far superior to Gunn's film is not the own they think it is when they're supporting the studio bastardized version over the one with creative freedom in which they supposedly support.

Anyway on a happier note I've watched all the old Batman movies (theatres are still closed here for The Batman smh smh smh) and here's my ranking (probably a bit controversial with the older movies since I'm watching them from a modern perspective and don't have my rose-tinted nostalgia glasses on)

1. The Dark Knight

Just like Spider-Man 2, you hear about how great it is all the time and start to think it's overrated, but when you sit down and watch it again you realize yeah it is that good.

I mean it's the ******* Justice League, what can I say. Batman in this movie is someone who is trying to right his wrongs in BvS and bring together a team to save the planet, and his journey was extremely compelling to watch. This film is 4 hours of pure Zack Snyder and although it might get annoying at times I'm happy knowing this is an artist's true vision. The story behind how this film came to be is also amazing.

3. Batman Begins

A perfect origin story for Batman that reinvented the character and revolutionized modern capeshit, but the no kill rule violations really annoyed me lmao since this Batman is supposed to have one. Man blew up the entire League of Shadows which probably also killed the guy he refused to kill 5 minutes ago.

I actually find this movie a bit overrated, maybe it's because I'm not a big fan of animation in the first place (didn't find Spiderverse as great as people say too) and I don't have the nostalgia factor of Kevin Conroy's Batman but I just don't understand why people claim this is the perfect Batman movie that rises above the rest of them. I found the plot and themes overly simplistic.

5. The Lego Batman Movie

A movie made for kids and not really a serious Batman movie but still manages to explore and poke fun at the character of Batman and his isolation.

6. The Dark Knight Rises

Flawed and frustrating movie, definitely on of Nolan's weakest works with a plot riddled with holes and characters and themes underveloped, but nevertheless a satisfying conclusion to the series.

I've grown to respect this movie a lot more over the years, I'm understanding what Zack Snyder attempted to this movie and I definitely view it as more of an ambitious movie trying to explore a lot of interesting philosophical concepts now rather than a pretentious and soulless punch fest as many people claimed at the time. Unfortunately on rewatch I still don't think those great ideas are executed very well. I don't think it deserved the hate it got, but personally I still don't like it all that much. I actually don't have a problem with the concept of an older and more cynical Batman becoming a killer, I think that's an interesting concept, but again I don't think the execution on exploring that was done very well (which is basically most of the ideas of this movie imo). Personally I think if Zack Snyder restrained himself from having all those cool fight scenes where Batman goes full Punisher and treated Batman attempting to murder Superman as the horror it should be before the "Martha" moment snaps him out of it it would have been more well-received. Still, I think it's enjoyable enough to put at the halfway point of my ranking.

8. Batman Returns

You can probably tell I don't like the Tim Burton films as I'm watching from a modern perspective. They're incredibly style over substance in my opinion with a plot that makes no sense, a lot of weird Tim Burton things and he just doesn't seem that interested in Batman as a character other than being a mysterious vigilante. I do prefer Batman Returns over the original though because this is the film where Tim Burton just goes full Tim Burton melancholic weirdo exploration and I always enjoy seeing different creators' visions.

9. Batman Forever

I actually find Val Kilmer's Batman underrated. I really like how this movie focused on Batman as a character unlike the Tim Burton movies. The switch to a light and campy tone was definitely a misfire but I can't blame Joel Schumacher for that. #ReleaseTheSchumacherCut

10. Batman 1989

I don't like Batman 1989. The aesthetics of Gotham are cool, Batman is really cool, Joker is really cool, and that's about it. The story makes no sense and the film gets kinda boring in my opinion once the rule of cool wears off.

11. Batman 1966

Just a movie of its time that fully embraces the campiness and I can appreciate it for that. It is kinda funny at times indeed.

12. Batman & Robin

Now that I watch it it's kinda so bad it's good. Unintentionally funny and definitely worth a watch with your cynical friends to poke fun at it together.

13. Justice League

Actually not that bad of a movie at the time, but with all the behind the scenes drama coming out and it becoming clear that this was the studio ******* up Zack Snyder's creative vision I'm going to put it last.
Have you already seen Batman red hood and long Halloween?

I personally really doesn't like Suicide Squad and love Man of Steel but I understand you.
1. The Dark Knight

Yep.

Still have weaknesses (like too much slow-motion, that Greek chores everytime Wonder Woman...breathes, some jokes, the excuse for why Darkseid didn't come earlier on Earth to regain the Anti-Life Equation and the fact that it had to be explained outside of the movie, something I hate when it happens) but it's definitely a great movie. The characters are much better, the action sequences are great, the CGI are really not that bad, Steppenwolf is MUCH more interesting and imposing than in the theater version, Darkseid is extremely well-done, the Speed Force sequence at the end is amazing and the flash-back is great (Ares is the GOAT). It's definitely an excellent flick and a great movie.
3. Batman Begins

I have several problems with this one (the fighting scenes, the cutting wich is very abrupt too many times and makes many scenes difficult to understand of enjoy, Scarecrow being kind of ridiculous, Katie Holmes being...not that great of an actress to say the least) and I think chosing Ra's as the enemy wasn't the best idea for a realistic setting (I mean, the whole point of his character is being a nigh-immortal guy who keeps living by bathing in a mystic pool) and I think we could have gone for someone else (like Deadshot or Deathstroke) that would have fit the grounded part but this is overall a very good origin story and the training part is great.

I'm among the people who think it's not only the best Batman movie ever made but also the best super-hero movie ever made, from live-action to animated. The story and themes are indeed simplistic (Bruce and the consequences of his crusade for himself and others and how he tries to not fall into madness and pure revenge) but it's done brilliantly.
The characters are all well-developped, they literally invented a character that didn't existed in the comics (Andrea) and made her incredibly important for Bruce but they also respected him and its themes to create their own universe that completely fits Batman (and despite being set in the animated series continuity, no knowledge of it is needed to enjoy the movie, wich is a really good thing) while making Andrea genuinely interesting and tragic, the animation is just great, the music by Shirly Walker is outstanding especially the main theme, the dark tone of the movie perfectly fits the plot and makes the movie spectaculary memorable especially once you remember this is a kid movie (you even have Bugs Bunny at the beginning) and how already dark the original series could be, the movie has plenty of terrifying (pretty much everything with the Joker) and outright brutal moments (the police chase, the nearly on-screen murders, the battle between the Joker and Batman) that make the story even more intense, the Joker's introduction is not forced or anything, he's even subtly foreshadowed before this and he perfectly fits the story (especially with how he kind of wastes Batman's last chance to be happy) and, maybe above all, the movie perfectly captures the tragedy of being Batman, especially with the scene where's begging his parents's grave to let him give up on his crusade and live his own life with Andrea because he literally thinks he doesn't deserve to be happy ("I didn't count on being happy" is probably the most heart-wrecking line I've ever heard in a comic book movie).
All of this, plus a bit of nostalgia for the animated series and the sheer talent of the voice actors, is why it's so great and superior to anything else, including TDK. TDK still has some slight weaknesses, like the fighting scenes wich aren't so great, the Bat-suit that is a bit ridiculous at times, the love-story with Rachel (another character that didn't exist in the comics and plays the role of a love interest for Bruce, except it's much less good, and the last third feeling like a giant climax where Nolan tried to condense a bit too much elements, even though it's absolutely great but Mask of Phantasm is perfect from beginning to end (the only weakness I can think of is how once you've seen it, you realize there isn't many suspects for the Phantasm's identity).
Like I said, in my opinion, Mask of the Phantasm surpasses everything done by DC and Marvel alike before and after.
5. The Lego Batman Movie

Same
6. The Dark Knight Rises

Ironically might be my favorite one between the three. TDK is of course much better but I love the very desperate and melancholic atmosphere, I love Tom Hardy as Bane, I love the music (I even bought the soundtrack on CD at the time), the first fight between Bane and Batman is really great for me, Catwoman is excellent and the actos are overall great. Still have many weakness (way too many) but it's definitely an excellent movie for me.

I honestly love this movie, at least the extended cut. Ben Affleck as Batman is just great, the visuals are amazing, the music is great, Cavill as Superman rocks, the fight between the two are a perfect display of their respective strengths and skills, Gal Gadot as WW is really good and that wharehouse scene is just oustanding, straight-out taken from an Arkham game. Unfortunately, it also has plenty of problems (Lex Luthor, the clumsy reason for why Batman and Superman are fighting, the third act, Doomsday's looks and above all the fact the movie is basically a very long trailer) but still really good.
8. Batman Returns

The movie's pretty fun for me because how dark it is. It's supposed to be a kid movie and even a Christmas movie (wich got out in summer...huh?) but it's incredibly violent and even downright disturbing (the Penguin). It's just funny to me.
9. Batman Forever

Meh, a really bad movie for me but still so-bad-it's-good stuff that makes it enjoyable.
10. Batman 1989

The movie has really not aged that well honestly. Gotham is very interesting to watch and like you said, the Joker is amazing but the story isn't that great, the effects are really feeling their age and...i'm gonna get trashed here but I don't think Keaton is that great of a Batman. He's really cool and all but also kind of ridiculous at times (the cowl forcing him to spin around because he couldn't move his head is plain ridiculous for me).
12. Batman & Robin

I have so much hatred for this shit I even refuse to call it a movie, I use the term "shit" or "thing" to talk about it. How much do I hate this? I already know my eternal torment in Hell will be being stuck in a room where the ground, the walls and the ceilling are giant screens playing this thing in an eternal loop without so much as a pause. Entirely personal point of view though.
13. Justice League

Hated this even more than Suicide Squad honestly.

Last edited:
Screenshot_17.png

Just finished watching Peacemaker (which also happens to be the first DCEU thing i ever watched actually), the only thing i can say is
Can we get an Eagly profile please?

After watching the snyder cut, while they revived superman with the motherbox, why did he attack them all?

Since team profiles can be made now, will the JL get one? Asking for both the DCEU and the DCAU when I'm at it, same for the Suicide Squad
I mean if we're gonna get a Task Force X Profile than we should at least get a Polka-Dot Man and Harcourt profiles so that we can have all (Combative) members for each of the missions

Midway City
Project Starfish
Project Butterfly

Back