• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.
The loss of Stephen H. is tragic. My family and I still reminisce over old episodes all the time. I can still name the sister episodes for the first three seasons. It was a major part of my late single digits and early adolescence. It will be sad to watch spongebob and feel that void that he'll leave. Rest In Peace, Stephen.

The dude worked on the show even after he was terminally ill, I've always had mad respect for him. People who dedicate their lives to making others smile and laugh, to be excited and hopeful, and to be happy will always be inspirations to me, and countless others.

He will be missed.

57?

I can't believe this. It's terrible. ALS is absolutely brutal, and that's still too young in the modern day for it to reasonably have been someone's time to go. This is tragic.

I very fondly remember waking up early before school so that my dad and I could watch cartoons together before we both left for the day. Spongebob and The Simpsons were two of our favorites, and we had some of the absolute best Spongebob episodes recorded so that we could watch them over and over. SB-129 was always a classic that fit with our tastes, and my dad always got a good laugh out of Texas due to, well, being from there. I remember how excited I was when I heard there was a Spongebob movie coming out, and that we went to see it in theaters as soon as we were able. While I fell out of love with a lot of the more recent Spongebob episodes a while ago, many of the older ones still hold a very special place in my heart, and I'll always respect the show, its cast, and its creator for what they brought to the table and how many people got to laugh because of it.

Spongebob Squarepants has provided me with some great laughs and happy memories, and I can say for a fact that I'm certainly not the only one with an experience like that. Stephen left behind a legacy and many, many smiles, and I wish the best for his family during these times.

I can't say I'm very familiar with the brand, as these days I sip Earl Grey tea and prefer watching 2+ hour films from East Europe on my spare time instead of cartoons, yet I have some good youthful memories of the first few seasons of the show. EmpLemon has an excellent video on the topic, and it's nice to see some thematic depth in what could have been inane silliness from the start. As a kid, it was wholesome to see Spongebob the optimist try to lighten up Squidward the cynic, and I wish more works embraced that kind of warmth instead of snarky sarcasm. I'm guessing that isn't what the show is like now, -- loud noises and crude humor = lowest common denominator = money through less work -- but I wouldn't let that take away from the good. A burial at sea for the captain of a very seminal series.

This is terrible news. Spongebob was one of the very first cartoons I ever watched, and one who provided many laughs to me even if most of it was naturally silly, and I am pretty sure I can say the same for countless people, seeing its creator pass away at such a young age is just heartwrenching.

May he rest in peace from now on.

While not as big as a legend as Stan Lee, Stephen Hillenberg will still be remembered. I still watch, though it's not as good as it was before. Actually, Season 11 already ended with the Santa Claus in space episode.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=HFepeMG4-6A&app=m&persist_app=1 Wait, Stephen Hillenburg DIED!? Noooo! We already had Stan Lee die 2 weeks ago and now Stephen!? Geez, why do famous people of my childhood have to die too soon!? Rest in peace, creator of Spongebob. You have introduced your show to me when I was only 2 years old and I loved it. You have been the man behind plotting up the story and making the characters memerable. Now listen to my song above as I say my farewell to him. He will be missed by many Spongebob fans. I hope he will be swimming upon us, in heaven. Now that you think about it, because of his death, and the fact that he is one of the key members of the show, I think the series is gonna go downhill again because of his death! Worse still, the series might even get cancelled! RIP Stephen Hillenburg.

Of course they won't cancel it. But considering Stephen has had the say on pretty much everything that had been going on in the show up to this point, even the later episodes, it's kinda worrisome what Nickelodeon has in store for Spongebob.

Well, the series can go downhill because of his death, maybe even possibly cancelled due to the bad episodes without him.

i may not care for spongebob that much but rest in peace to the creator who made a series that ik a lot of ppl loved

I still remember catching the first episode of Spongebob by pure chance and luck. I remember thinking it was interesting and before I knew it I was watching as many episodes I could find. I had to be like, I don't know, 9 or 10. Somewhere around there. I'm 26 now, but I still go back and watch my favorite episodes, even if I haven't kept up with all the new stuff and the quality issues of later seasons. It was something that really helped me smile and laugh through some tough times growing up.

The show was a true part of my childhood, up there with Samurai Jack, Dragonball Z, Digimon, Ed, Edd & Eddy and the Toonami block.

Stephen Hillenburg ultimately helped build the experiences that shaped my childhood. That is something that cannot be replaced.

Rest in peace, Mr. Hillenburg. Thank you.

Back