• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.
Oh man. This one hurts. This one hurts a lot. Spongebob has to be one of the single most influential pieces of media on my life, rivaling the likes of Pokemon. From the happy and optimistic personality of early Spongebob to its genuinely great comedy for both the parents and children, I don't know if another show compares. Even if the later years arguably bastardized its image, Spongebob is legendary and seeing its creator pass away, at not an old age, as well, is just brutal.

After losing Stan Lee I felt like there wouldn't be many other media creators' deaths that would affect me, but this is one. This is the one. Rest in piece Stephen, and know that your creation influenced and lightened the lives of many, young and old, myself included.

Oh my...no...

First Stan, now Stephen? Dang. I am just...shocked at this. I know I'm not the only one to say that Spongebob has been a huge part of many of our lives, and losing the man behind the lovable yellow sponge just...hurts. I personally love Spongebob, and I even enjoy the occasional episode of the later seasons, but the early episodes are near iconic in their witty comedy, their simple yet well executed plots, and just the pure enthusiasm and optimism of Spongebob himself. I almost can't imagine a world without Spongebob, and for that, I have one thing to say.

Stephen, for all that you've done for us, thank you. You were the greatest Goofy Goober of us all, and we know you'll be ready for the next life. Farewell.

I only saw a few episodes of SpongeBob just last year, mostly because my mom thought it was too annoying to be tolerable and opted for Blue's Clues and other random stuff I of course don't remember. They were mildly entertaining, but as a guy my age, I didn't see anything special.

But even if I was too old to appreciate the work itself, I'm well within old enough to appreciate the wonder that a kid aged just right for it would have seeing it.

Rest in peace.

SpongeBob was practically the entirety of what I watched as a little kid. I remember literally having entire episodes completely memorized in my head. Or when I begged my mom to make me a SpongeBob Halloween costume back when I was 3. Even as an adult, I still appreciate many of the older seasons and can still enjoy them on a deeper level than I did as a child. Despite being a very silly kid's cartoon, there were some brilliant writing under the surface that anyone of any age could like. (This video does an amazing job demonstrating the show's hidden genius.) And of course there's the recent SpongeBob memes that have given me tons of laughs.

SpongeBob was clearly a major part of my childhood, and even though I never met Stephen Hillenburg I have to still thank him for bringing me so much joy throughout my life. I know there were millions of other people throughout the world that Stephen has also touched. It goes without saying that his legacy will live on.

Even putting him being the creator of SpongeBob aside, he was still a wonderful, kind, talented and intelligent man who also deserves to be remembered for how great of person he was. As tragic as his passing is, especially at the relatively young age he died, the things he achieved in this short time are worth celebrating. Not many can claim to have made as great of an impact on the world as Stephen. His humble vision created a multi-billion dollar empire, one most successful television shows of all time and one of pop culture's most highly recognized icons. Most importantly he brought an amount of happiness to people unmatched by most throughout history. His achievements are something to truly be awed and inspired by

Rest in peace, Stephen Hillenburg.

Another sad day, another legend passed away.

Truth be told, I'm no fan of Spongebob; and I'm not particularly big on Saturday morning cartoons in general anymore. While the first 4 maybe 5 seasons were indeed great, but IMO; it did start to go downhill after that. However, I can definitely tell that it brought much joy to many younger audiences as well as older audiences remembering the classic Spongebob. With Hillenberg gone, this is indeed a huge loss for Nickelodeon and even for animation in general; who knows where the company will go or what they'll do without their mascot's creator.

Then again, Disney was able to survive their dark ages with the loss of Walt Disney, so there is hope for a possibility Nickelodeon to do the same. RIP, Stephen Hillenburg. You will be missed.

NO NOT ANOTHER LEGEND PASSED AWAY IN 2018 :(

Thanks for all you've contributed for Disney and being the founder of Nickelodeon that brings Joy and memories to the audience. I'll remember Spongebob as my childhood, It's something worth investing to the show such as humor. Thanks for making my Childhood, Stephen Hillenburg, I will miss the Classic Spongebob. R.I.P... It really hurts. Spongebob made kids and adults brighter and influencing Media making the world a happier place.

Such a death for another Legend brings sorrow and pain to the Fans that loved Spongebob and Nickelodeon for years to come. He was just too young to die… :(

You did good.

I hate 2018, I now everyone gets this like a 100 times but we lost so many Legends now like Stephen Hawking, Stefan Karl, Stan Lee, John McCain.... It breaks are hearts

95 was a good innings. But 57 is a batter caught out way before his time.

I never watched Spongebob myself, can't say I was ever interested. But through this thread I see the impact this lad had on the childhoods of the world. And it is impossible to not feel remorse for someone taken before their turn.

Dargoo Faust said:
Man, **** 2018.

Another one of my childhood heroes.
To be fair

Really it's more just generally the 10s that have been like this. Lest, after like 2014 or so

.... Might have something to do with Obamacare

For the love of fork nobody kill me and this thread over that

In all seriousness, we've had a lot of things go away in our time, but, that just means we'll have a lot more people making names for themselves. After all, if the inspiration falls, the inspired should take their place.

What we're seeing here is the end of a generation. It's unfortunate, but, that just means a new one is to arise.

We shouldn't be sad that it has ended, we should be glad it happened. And we should be hopeful for what's next to happen.

i just can't anymore

i mean spongebob was everything to me and i can't believe i have to say goodbye to the creator of it.

i must say damn this november for taking so many amazing people away from us and for breaking our hearts!

but it is still important to know that all people die and no matter what we have to be ready for it and be prepared and must accept it as something not evil but natural.

because that is what it is, natural not evil just like natural disasters

so lets hope the future is a little bit brighter down the road

I've had many childhood heroes passing on; not just in 2018 but the 2010's in general. Or heck, even before that; Michael Jackson passing away in 2009 for example was a super huge deal for me and for the entire world. But their are happy parts to it, is that their legacies are eternal.

Back