• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Zoro vs Luffy (Pre-Timeskip, East Blue Saga) (ONE MORE VOTE UNTIL GRACE)

I think you're the one missing the point, these two are very similar like you said so the way of defining who wins is determining who is greater in each category and in how many more categories no matter how big of a difference there is as those will be the defining factors of who wins the battle regardless of how similar they are in other aspects. This isn't a case of downplaying one or the other, instead we're coming to a conclusion of what they're capable off.

When did i compare Luffy to other swordsmen to make Zoro seem more skilled? I listed one of Zoro's best skill feats that is all. Also it very much isn't disproved, looking at how Luffy overcame Kuro we see he used a rock to break his katana claws and grabbed him as he hit him so that he could restrain his movements. So you'd need to prove that these examples would work on Zoro to throw away Zoro's skill advantage.

To my knowledge I've never claimed Zoro had more experience than Luffy, as I don't see that being the defining factor of this battle as experience is relative. And Zoro not having the breathe of all things at this point doesn't really matter as none of my points as to why I think Zoro wins involves it.

Endurance is definitely a big factor as it determines who can endure more damage and fight longer, and considering how close/equal they are in other categories that's kind of important considering it will mostly be an endurance battle.
I mean, it's pretty easy to say Zoro is more skilled than Luffy because of the Hachi feat ( and him being a swordsman and on the verge of collapse tho). But Luffy's skill feats are not necessarily about him using weapons or copying other people's skills like any other generic martial arts master, it's him quickly figuring out his enemy's weaknesses and taking advantage of what he learned in the span of sec/mins accordingly. Luffy quickly deduces the timing and distance of Arlong's shark on darts after seeing it twice, that being said Luffy's Gomu Gomu Shield is normally useless and he rarely uses it against anyone, but he used this technique to counter Arlong's shark on darts due to the insane speed, no other technique would've stopped Arlong from spamming shark on darts.

Also the fact that Luffy's battle instincts shouldn't be underestimated, he knew where Kuro was going to attack him next (referring to his ultimate technique), where he catches his leg after seeing the technique once. (I posted the scans twice, you will see the scans in my very first argument presented in this thread)

Are we literally going to ignore the fact that Arlong bit through Luffy's stomach twice and Luffy shrug that off and KO'd him with Gomu Gomu Stomp? Krieg piercing through Luffy's entire body, and Luffy still rushing towards him and knocking him down with a rifle, Luffy surviving multiple explosions from his spear just to destroy it while mischievously laughing at him like it's nothing. If you were to ask me, Luffy holds the endurance advantage here

Last edited:
When did i compare Luffy to other swordsmen to make Zoro seem more skilled? I listed one of Zoro's best skill feats that is all. Also it very much isn't disproved, looking at how Luffy overcame Kuro we see he used a rock to break his katana claws and grabbed him as he hit him so that he could restrain his movements. So you'd need to prove that these examples would work on Zoro to throw away Zoro's skill advantage.
Eh, that wasn't really my point either. I'm literally just saying intelligence doesn't matter here nor was I ever suggesting Luffy using the same strategy twice against a different enemy, whom he also knows very well. Luffy's strategies and fighting style doesn't have a set pattern anyways, we literally accept it as unpredictable after all, so why am I supposed to prove something that wasn't my point to begin with (why would Luffy use a rock against Zoro when he full well know that Zoro can cut rocks with ease? Wouldn't make any sense)

Luffy's skill feats are not necessarily about him using weapons or coping other people's skills like any other generic martial arts master
Yee he doesn't just copy fighting styles but literally everything around him or he can think off... That's specifically effective against the opponent his fighting
4.jpg
5.jpg
8.jpg
9.jpg
18.jpg
20.jpg
5.jpg
6.jpg
7.jpg
8.jpg
9.jpg
10.jpg
14.jpg
15.jpg
16.jpg

Luffy also has insane range advantage

Last edited:
I mean, it's pretty easy to say Zoro is more skilled than Luffy because of the Hachi feat ( and him being a swordsman and on the verge of collapse tho).
It's pretty easy to say since it blatantly is better than what Luffy has shown (to my knowledge).
it's him quickly figuring out his enemy's weaknesses and taking advantage of what he learned in the span of sec/mins accordingly.
Zoro does the same, it's even on his profile for this key
Luffy quickly deduces the timing and distance of Arlong's shark on darts after seeing it twice, that being said Luffy's Gomu Gomu Shield is normally useless and he rarely uses it against anyone, but he used this technique to counter Arlong's shark on darts due to the insane speed, no other technique would've stopped Arlong from spamming shark on darts.
Zoro on the verge of falling unconscious deduced the timing and distance of Hachi's "tentacle sword overload" without ever seeing it prior.
Also the fact that Luffy's battle instincts shouldn't be underestimated, he knew where Kuro was going to attack him next (referring to his ultimate technique), where he catches his leg after seeing the technique once. (I posted the scans twice, you will see the scans in my very first argument presented in this thread)
He didn't know where he was going to attack him next, he knew after he was already attacked; if anything this is a good reaction feat. Zoro has also showed good battle instincts as he reacted to the attacks of Vivi and the other baroque works agent without even looking; this also was without prior knowledge that they would attack.
Are we literally going to ignore the fact that Arlong bit through Luffy's stomach twice and Luffy shrug off that and KO'd him with Gomu Gomu Stomp? Krieg piercing through Luffy's entire body, and Luffy still rushing towards him and knocking him down with a rifle, Luffy surviving multiple explosions from his spear just to destroy it while mischievously laughing at him like it's nothing. If you were to ask me, Luffy holds the endurance advantage here
I'm not saying Luffy's endurance isn't impressive, just not as impressive as Zoro. We literally got confirmation in the databooks that he lost a liter of blood in the buggy/cabaji fight in which fight he literally cut himself deeper to prove that trying to aim for his injury would be ineffective. In the battle with the Nyaban brother he lost 1.5 liters of blood and still defeated them. Against Mihawk and up to his battle with Hatchan and Arlong he lost 5 liters of blood and still kept battling. Zoro's endurance is insane and this isn't to say Luffy isn't good just that feat wise Zoro's shown more.
Eh, that wasn't really my point either. I'm literally just saying intelligence doesn't matter here nor was I ever suggesting Luffy using the same strategy twice against a different enemy, whom he also knows very well. Luffy's strategies and fighting style doesn't have a set pattern anyways, we literally accept it as unpredictable after all, so why am I supposed to prove something that wasn't my point to begin with (why would Luffy use a rock against Zoro when he full well know that Zoro can cut rocks with ease? Wouldn't make any sense)
I never claimed Luffy would definitely use the same strategy twice either, but you made the claim that Kuro (who you deem more intelligent than Luffy) losing to luffy disproves those with higher intelligence (Skill) won't work on Luffy. Which is wrong as I explained, you would need to determine how he lost and how that compares to Zoro. Saying Luffy is unpredictable and can come up with strategies against his opponent extremely quickly is fine but that doesn't prove Zoro's skill is ineffective against him or that it would be useless unless you can prove it with examples.

Last edited:
The Luffy argument from what I'm seeing pales in comparison to Zoro's especially the endurance portion. Zoro's endurance has pretty much always been higher than Luffy's. In like every arc. As for range, Luffy does have the range advantage, but it's way too risky on his part to bother because Zoro could easily exploit that, but not so much vise versa.

The Luffy argument from what I'm seeing pales in comparison to Zoro's especially the endurance portion. Zoro's endurance has pretty much always been higher than Luffy's. In like every arc. As for range, Luffy does have the range advantage, but it's way too risky on his part to bother because Zoro could easily exploit that, but not so much vise versa.
Can zoro utilize his air slashes during the East Blue Arc? I can't quite remember. If he can then Zoro's range is nothing to scoff at either.

Luffy does have the range advantage, but it's way too risky on his part to bother because Zoro could easily exploit that, but not so much vise versa.
Luffy can make it not risky... As in he has many range techniques that'll/can be effective against Zoro... I mean luffy could steel his sword 🤷‍♂️
9.jpg
10.jpg

The Luffy argument from what I'm seeing pales in comparison to Zoro's especially the endurance portion. Zoro's endurance has pretty much always been higher than Luffy's.
🤔not really
Can zoro utilize his air slashes during the East Blue Arc? I can't quite remember. If he can then Zoro's range is nothing to scoff at either.
Yes.. But I think Just with techniques or something

Luffy could also brake some of Zoro's sword
20.jpg

Also someone pls help me with grace period 😅😅 are there a list of rules for vs threads I can look at?

Isn't it the opposite... Why would his east blue swords be extremely durable?
They were used by Zoro since his childhood and those from his village are from wano who have crafted some of the best/most durable swords in the world.

Another thing to note there is an ongoing revision which will change the first key of Zoro and Luffy to "Beginning of the series" and will include all feats up till Alabasta; which means Zoro would have Sandai Kitetsu and Yubashiri which Luffy definitely cannot break.

Well this is east blue so... Zoro has Wado Ichimonji and two normal Katanas in this fight... luffy can break them easily... Which Zoro would have to rely on his one sword style which he hasn't master yet up until alabasta

Luffy >> Zoro one sword style in skill 😁🏴‍☠️

Well this is east blue so... Zoro has Wado Ichimonji and two normal Katanas in this fight... luffy can break them easily... Which Zoro would have to relie on his one sword style which he hasn't master up until alabasta
Prove he can break those swords easily, they can take being used in conjunction with Zoro's full power AP, so unless you're arguing Luffy can easily overpower Zoro in AP (which would also require proof) he can't break them swords.

Prove he can break those swords easily, they can take being used in conjunction with Zoro's full power AP, so unless you're arguing Luffy can easily overpower Zoro in AP (which would also require proof) he can't break them swords.
Isn't it lifting strength? Or striking strength?

Well his normal katana have the same dura as steel? unless you can prove otherwise luffy will break them
If they had the same durability as steel they would have broken whenever Zoro used an attack or blocked an attack from anybody above street level. Luffy can't break them.

No proof.

It's not luffy's weakness... It's a way to hurt him same as other humans.

This is east blue Zoro. 🤔
losing ounces of blood and damn near everybody being shocked as to how he's still standing let alone fighting
ok not a weakness but luffy dosen't have a built in resistance to it like blunt force attacks
he used those moves in east blue iirc I 100% remember dragon twister

vs hachi he actually used dragon twister and streaming wolf swords (I know they are probably called something else but I saw like the first 40 eps of op on 4kids so yeah)

I'm probably just gonna shoot for inconclusive honestly, both have a lot of strengths, and a lot of weaknesses, at that point in the story for me it's kinda hard to tell who would come out on-top. I want to use the Arlong feats with a grain of salt because of Zoro's wound fighting against Mihawk, the man was literally on the verge of splitting in two but kept going. Zoro's insane endurance, their near equal strength, experience, speed, etc, and Luffy's superior range both given them tides that turn this fight. For me? I see them both probably knocking one another out by the end of it. Luffy'll be smart enough to avoid Zoro's strikes, and I honestly might see Luffy dishing out more hits than Zoro does to him. Thing is though, Zoro is just, a sponge when it comes to soaking up punishment. You could liquify his organs and he'd still come at you, his brain could be jelly and he'd find a way to keep going lmfao. Zoro would definitely find a way to force Luffy to take a hit though, Zoro can take far more punishment, and definitely dish out enough so that Luffy might be finding himself starting to black out as the fight reaches its end.

I don't think one side has a definitive advantage over the other, Luffy's rubber durability is gonna keep him standing after Zoro's swings, he's not really the type of person to stay at afar and just swing wildly either, even then, I can still see Zoro finding a way to close the gap between them, by just cutting Luffy's hands and making him back off for a precious second, which is all he'll need, for example. Both have fought people with FAR greater experience than them and have managed to either beat or surprise them. Zoro managing to surprise Mihawk for half a second and Luffy was able to best Arlong and Don Krieg who've had years of experience higher than he was.

Realistically, in the world of One Piece, I just can't see either one taking the edge over the other. I'm sticking with Inconclusive for now.

Back