• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

The Power of Thoughts/Dreams in the DCU

Status
Not open for further replies.
In "A Dream of a Thousand Cats", it is shown that the thoughts and dreams of mankind are capable of altering reality. Even the Presence is shaped (possibly even made) by the power of thought.

There is one memorable occasion when we actually see the power at work (and the explanation behind it), involving Hal Jordan:

[[1]]

It is shown that the power behind the prayers stems from two sources: 1) The souls of mankind 2) The Formless Divinity

The power summoned from the Formless Divinity by the souls of mankind is said to be the Essence of God/Goddess/All that is. It is also said that the power came awake both in the reality around them and also within them.

Should this Formless Divinity/Essence of God be listed amongst the DC Cosmics? This is the power that shaped and exceeds the Presence. It is also very similar in description to the Primal Monitor.

EDIT: In fact, there is some evidence that it has affected and exceeds the Primal Monitor. Of course, that is provided it is relevant

You should probably inform Matthew Schroeder about this thread.

Can do, Antvasima. I think it is an important topic, as the thoughts and dreams of mankind may be one of the ultimate cosmic forces in DC. Regardless of the mechanism involved, it is possible that the power of dreams is capable of affecting the Monitor-Mind itself and may even exceed it in scope:

[[1]]

The power of dreams is said to be capable of affecting everything from "the beginning of things". The Void is stated to have preceded the Creator (presumably the Presence?) and Creation (the DC Multiverse?).

The final scan shows that the Void is "the beginning" and would, by definition, be affected by the power of dreams. It then shows the Hand of the Creator creating the DC Multiverse.

I believe that the power of dreams was also the "Maker" that the Presence alluded to, especially due to the fact that the Monitor-Mind was not a concept when that statement was written.

I'll let Matt know about the thread.

Okay. Although I personally doubt that we can assume that the power of dreams is superior to the Overvoid.

It probably is comprable to The Overvoid in the sense that it can shape anything. However, it is not something worthy of a profile, as it is a very vaguely-defined source.

But yes, DC does indeed use the power of dreams as something of note many many times.

I thought it may be comparable to the Overvoid, as the Spectre scan state that it was the "Essence of God/Goddess/All That Is" that did it. The Overvoid is All That Is.

However, the Void/Source itself is superior to the Monitor-Mind in several ways. The Void/Source is complete nothingness from which anything could truly arise. It exists before thought and before form and definition. It has a complete lack of definition and therefore limitations. It has literally limitless potential.

The Monitor-Mind is a void, but one that has limitations. It is something (rather than nothing) and therefore exists on the same level as the Multiverse. It is not the same as a blank page, as the panels where it appears have it's thoughts written on it - it has form and definition. It never existed before thought, as it is conscious. It doesn't have limitless potential, as it isn't omniscient.

The fact that the Void/Source is defined by blackness (lack of everything) and the Monitor-Mind is defined by white (presence of everything) seems to suggest the Monitor-Mind and the Void/Source are two different entities.

I can't prove it, but I think the Monitor-Mind emerged from the Void/Source (an act of nothing becoming something), possibly due to the thoughts and dreams of the inhabitants of the DC Multiverse.

Well, regardless of irregularities in the depiction, the Overvoid definitely seems to have been intended as the blank canvas itself, whereas the Source is depicted as a part of the multiverse.

The Source and the Monitor-Mind are far too different in constant depictions to be joined into one thing. Those there is one comic which depicts The Source as a 1-A thing.

Well, it is currently officially depicted as a part of the 11-Dimensional multiverse.

It's inconsistent to say the least.

Can we close this thread, it seems to just exist for us to re-state what is known?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back