• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

[SPOILER] Pokémon SW/SH thread [SPOILER]

I also like the idea, although it's not 100% confirmed, but Affleck directly called Eternatus "evil legendary", so it's probably real.

Anyway, I love its design.

Etern

Going by Affleck, what do you think of the supposed plot? I think it's something really cool.

NeoZex6399 said:
Apparently Eternatus is an "ancient evil" that wants everyone to submit or die, and was sealed in the past by the dogs.
Not 100% confirmed, though.
@Joo

that sounds....actually good if it ends up being the main villain of the story

also imagine being the "ancient evil" and still getting caught in a pokeball by a random 10 years old lmao

I honestly don't care about the plot on a Pokémon game, but I'm totally interested to know how is Eternatus related to it.

JooCipher said:
that sounds....actually good if it ends up being the main villain of the story
also imagine being the "ancient evil" and still getting caught in a pokeball by a random 10 years old lmao
i mean, 10 year olds have been catching tier 2 gods since DP

I mean, not fully seeing as previous starters were available in Alola via Island scan despite not being in the dex.

are we sure that all the starters have only one type? because i seriously doubt not even a single one has another type, also shouldn't this be in the general discussion board?

I feel Corviknight is still the most badass looking design this gen, at least when excluding legendaries, maybe even without

@Dragon

Another one who like them all! High five with me and Peter

Also that gigantamax Duraludon....now from Mechagodzilla to an living Burj Khalifa

First off, Eternatus's height. I've seen via the Japanese Pokemon site, they seem to use metric, which is probably true in the Japanese games, too.

Cosmoem is 999.9 kilograms heavy. And Eternatus's height of 328'1" converts to about 99.9998 meters. So now I wanna know how rounding in the unit conversion affects it, because whether it's 99 or 100 meters drives me nuts.

Anyway, Eternatus's typing puzzles me. Or rather it's typing does. A name like "Eternatus" evokes "eternity". And it's supposed to be an evil Legendary, right? And it's said to bend Space & Time with the infinite energy.... And yet....

1. Yet it's not Dark-type, the type that has a Japanese name meaning "Evil".

2. Nor is it Ghost-type, the type for dead beings, despite appearing skeletal, & death & afterlife seeming pretty eternal, too.

3. it also has overlap with Victini (Infinite Energy, but Victini shares it, among other possible differences.) & Dialga & Palkia (Affecting space-time.), but among them, only shares Dragon type.

4. Psychic is often associated with warping reality/space (Trick Room, for example.), although, the only attacks I can think of that affect space/time are Dialga & Palkia's signatures, Roar of Time & Spacial Rend.

5. Necrozma is thematically similar, moreso as Ultra Necrozma. Being a huge source, or something connected to the power up of the game (Z Move Energy with UN, possibly Dynamax/Gigantamax with Eternatus.) & as Ultra Necrozma, also a Dragon.

6. Necrozma & Victini also have energy themes & Psychic type in common, but that may be coincidence.

7. Dragon seems to be the least confusing type of the two for Eternatus, given its appearance & probable story role. But I ponder why it wasn't partially Dark, Ghost or Psychic. (Besides Psychic being overly common on Legendaries.)

From a "meta-narrative", Poison sort of makes sense. Zacian & Zamazenta presumably have Eternatus as a common foe, & their "no equipment" forms are pure Fairy & pure Fighting types, respectively; They both gain Steel types when taking on the formes where they look as they do on the box art.

Fairy is offensively neutral to Poison/Dragon, sort of fitting for the "unbeatable sword" Legendary, as it's offense goes unresisted, even by its greatest foe, while Poison gives Eternatus SE STAB against Zamazenta without being Steel. Likewise, Poison/Dragon resists Zamazenta's STAB of Fighting. The Ultimate Shield not having the ultimate offense against its greatest foe sort of makes sense.

There's also the connection to Nihilego. Nihilego SORT OF being a Poison-type Legendary aside, its role in the story was giving dangerous, power ups, & if Dynamaxing/Gigantamaxing has negative side effects revealed in the story, Poison type makes sense in that way.

It's also only 3 turns, so it's certainly short lived like double-edged doses might be.

The other best reasons I can think of for Poison type are:

1. Poison type, other than Ghost type, comes close to "decay" and "entropy", both arguably "evil" and "eternal things", & stuff that you might consider when it's a monster that affects space-time with its energy; What is more eternal than entropy? What will come after the heat death of the universe?

2. Fairy type may be associated with Nature in general or the protection of it, as with the Tapus. Given that in mind, & Zacian being Fairy type to begin with, something representing a "natural" force that still works against protecting & preserving nature makes sense as an enemy. Even nature isn't safe from the laws of nature/physics, yet they still hinder nature.

Sorry about the super long post. It's just been on my mind a while.

Eh, I'm just curious why a Pokemon seemingly based on eternity, that fights a perfect sword & perfect shield Pokemon, & warps space-time with infinite energy, & may be related to Gigantamaxing, is Poison/Dragon type. Aren't you curious about such a typing?

I think the reason Eternatus is poison type and not dark type is because nobody wants Eternatus to have a x4 to fairy type.

Yeah, I figured that, too. As an enemy to Zacian, it'd feel a bit strange for it to be 4x weak to Zacian's main type when Zacian & Zamazenta seem to be meant to team up to fight Eternatus. Meanwhile, both of them gaining Steel-type against a Poison/Dragon, is type match-up wise, a very good counterpick.

Dunno if it's meant to be that meta, though.

That said, as I mentioned, they could've made it Ghost/Dragon.

Ghost, like with death and the afterlife, which fits the "eternity theme" and skeletons -since Eternatus resembles one- so it makes sense, visually, too.

Admittedly, in such a case, it'd have no edge against Zacian, but it'd be much more favorable against Zamazenta.

Arceus from what I know, is an amalgation of multiple different ideas relating to god from multiple different cultures

Foxthefox1000 said:
The thing is though... What speed would we give Eternatus? Would it just be relativistic like a lot of the other 'mon?
nothing... because we have no idea what these mons can do. weve only seen their stats and lore.

Back