• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Pokemon General Discussion Thread Gen IV: Myth Based, Myth Based Everywhere!!!

Hell, Serena is problaby one of the most developed character that the series have, when you compare to other companions that Ash had

RotofBots said:
I also disagree but to each their own.
Gen 6 and Gen 4 anime were far better series from both a character and story telling standpoint imo.
One problem with those season's, Ash was an IDIOT, even more so then when he was just starting out. Well, two problems, the second one is his voice actress changed.

HenryWong122 said:
RotofBots said:
Gen 6 and Gen 4 anime were far better series from both a character and story telling standpoint imo.
One problem with those season's, Ash was an IDIOT, even more so then when he was just starting out. Well, two problems, the second one is his voice actress changed.
Umm, Ash was on his prime on both seasons, he have amazing plays and strategies in both Seasons, the most "idiot" one is from the beggining of the series and BW.

The last one don't affect me, here we had the same VA for all the characters till the mid way of XY

Drite77 said:
HenryWong122 said:
RotofBots said:
Umm, Ash was on his prime on both seasons, he have amazing plays and strategies in both Seasons, the most "idiot" one is from the beggining of the series and BW.
The last one don't affect me, here we had the same VA for all the characters till the mid way of XY
AHA! So your a filthy non-american! That means you wouldn't know an amazing play or strategie if it bit you on the but!

HenryWong122 said:
Only if you were an idiot. The soundtrack was terrible. In gen one their sprites were terrible. All in all the cons far out weigh the pros.
No it most certainly wasn't. Also using Gameboy limitations to call Red/Blue a bad game is honestly a poor argument.

In general though, Gen 4 is by far my favourite generation (specifically Platinum, but HG/SS are amazing too), followed by Gen 3, Gen 2 and Gen 7. The rest are a toss-up really

If a game is old and clunky by modern standards then it's bad by modern standards. Being old doesn't mean that all the cons that comes from being old go away.

Gen 1 isn't bad but when compared to current Pokémon games, they haven't aged that well. Gen 2, however, is another story.

For me it is Gen4 > Gen 3 > Gen 5 > the others. I don't dislike any of them, but i can't organize the rest of the generations, because they are all equal to me

Again, it's hardware limitations. Issues like 'the game is black and white' or 'the game is too glitchy' aren't really present on ports of the game.

If your port fixes things like the graphics or the glitches, then it's not a port. It's an update. And if a game _needs_ an update to be considered good, it's not good.

"Black and White" don't seem a good reason for me. Yeah, i prefer when something has colors, but there are awesome Movies that are Black and White

Good black and white movies tend to be good despite the limitations, not because of them. It's still a real limitation that most people would rather not have.

You're missing the point. It's the same game, but on a different console. It's a port. The reason why it isn't a glitchfest on, say, the virtual console is because it's on different hardware that's much harder to abuse.

If you're going to argue that only the game as it was in 1996 counts as 'Gen 1', then don't apply modern day standards to it.

Alright, hating Gen 1 because its old game is ridicilous dumb, i mean Gen 1 is the FIRST Pokemon game, if you say its "old game its suck" then say that to other game who also old so its suck like SF2/SF3 and many other.

Mine is Gen 4 > Gen 5 > Gen 7 > The other because i actually didn't like many of them.

Virtual Console doesn't fix things like graphics or glitches though. All the glitches are still there and it's still in B&W. It's the exact same game for the most part. Also glitches aren't really what makes Gen I actually bad to play. I'd argue it's the opposite, really.

Veloxt1r0kore said:
Alright, hating Gen 1 because its old game is ridicilous dumb, i mean Gen 1 is the FIRST Pokemon game, if you say its "old game its suck" then say that to other game who also old so its suck like SF2/SF3 and many other.
https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/SeinfeldIsUnfunny

For those that already have higher standards, it´s normal to dislike something that´s simply too rudimentary to actually want to use when you can use something else that´s simply better.

I'm not denying the influence the first games on the franchise or video games in general. But if you put all the Gen in front of me like that in modern times, I have little reasons to play Gen I over Gen III other than sheer nostalgia (which I just so happen to lack, as my first games were late Gen 3 onwards).

Saikou The Lewd King said:
Virtual Console doesn't fix things like graphics or glitches though. All the glitches are still there and it's still in B&W. It's the exact same game for the most part. Also glitches aren't really what makes Gen I actually bad to play. I'd argue it's the opposite, really.
Wait really? Huh.

The black and white issue is fixed by playing it on a gameboy colour however. No pun intended.

The whole point of the Virtual Console is, as its name suggests, to emulate the original console the best it can. Updating the game would go against this whole idea in the first place.

I thought they would at least have patched out the glitches that crash the console.

GyroNutz said:
I thought they would at least have patched out the glitches that crash the console.
Actually, VC emulates WORSE than BGB (that one Game Boy emulator that actually emulates perfectly if you don´t mind requiring a bit higher CPU to use), for example, 8F glitch items that would normally crash BGB or an actual Game Boy don´t crash VC, meaning that a new brand of glitches are avaiable exclusively for VC.

HenryWong122 said:
Just face it gen one was bad. The gen 3 remakes made everything better. Gen one was just bad.
I won't, because, in my opinion, they weren't bad. If you want to compare to the RPGs at the time, yeah, Pokémon is much more simple, but it is not bad

HenryWong122 said:
Just face it gen one was bad. The gen 3 remakes made everything better. Gen one was just bad.
I agree that Gen 1 games are in fact lacking by today's standard. Their programming is terrible, which causes a whole lot of game-breaking glitches, terrible A.I, not to mention the complete lack of balancing and easy exploiting of game mechanics. But the problem here is that you're conveying that opinion in the worst way possible. Spamming "gen 1 sucks!!!!!!" and making rhetorical questions to support your "claim" isn't going to do anything but instigate fire from people who enjoy Gen 1.

Yeah i can see the reason why gen 1 is bad comparing to the other game nowaday but then you pushing your opinion like "gen 1 suck!!!" "muh old game!!!" and then forcing us to face it, how is this not biased?

Veloxt1r0kore said:
Yeah i can see the reason why gen 1 is bad comparing to the other game nowaday but then you pushing your opinion like "gen 1 suck!!!" "muh old game!!!" and then forcing us to face it, how is this not biased?
I don't give two ***** that it's an old game, Donkey Kong is an old game that doesn't mean it's bad.

My dislike of Gen 7 is a bit generalized. I simply cannot replay those games at this point. I think GameFreak had not right, in 2016, to make a game with incredibly long cutscenes and tutorial sections with no way to skip them, seriously, the first island is an absolute hell to finish in one or even two sittings. It gets much better during mid-game, but the late game also have lots of cutscenes that, are at the very least I guess, more interesting. I also dislike how absolutely devoid of challenge these game are. I don't know why some people think Gen 7 is "much harder" than Gen 6, when I constantly feel like my intelligence gets insulted with how blatantly design to be a cake-walk the trainer battles and even some of the bosses are. These games only feel challenging really when you're facing some of the bosses blind, so you're not well prepared to face them. I wished we had more battles like Ultra-Necrozma through the Gen 7 games, that actually forced you to learn his moves and how the battle works so you have to prepare accordingly, like every other (well design) JRPG ever. And this honestly become a greater tragedy because these games, otherwise, have much great things going on. Alola looks absolutely gorgeous and soulful, even when compared to the worlds of console and PC games, and the music is nothing short of amazing. It has fairly good selection of new Pokémon and for the first time, the Pokémon games have an unironically good minigame. Surf Mantine is something of its own, not only playing and learning it feels good, but the visuals are so good, specially when you play it at dusk or night time. It's a shame the bad stops the greatness that some of the artists and producers put in the game. Let's go can just **** itself though.

Uh, since when are Pokemon main storylines supposed to be challenging? Thats the post-game when you beat the main story, the main stories are always easy in literally every game lol.

I think the purpose of the trials for Gen 7 were not supposed to be "more challenging", but "more appealing". Because so many people where f*cking sick of Gym Battles, me included. It was literally the same old thing that was rehashed and recycled for all of the core games until S/M era. At least with the trials, there's more gameplay and more to do than simply enter a building, beat a gym leader, get a badge and do that 7 more times. While I dont think the trials were perfect, they were definitely the break I needed to enjoy the main story in pokemon games again and not go through another gym battle. I am so sick of gym battles now, the only time I ever even like them is when Ash takes them on in the anime when it's portrayed much better than in the games.

Back