• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Overlord General Discussion Mk.II

Apeironaxim said:
Shalltear's resistance, on the other hand, varied depending on the level and ability of her opponent. If the caster was weak, she'd be immune to even tier-ten spells, but against a powerful caster - like Ainz - tier one was probably the limit.
Woah I actually did not know that, very intresting, thanks for this.

So the immunity to low tier spells depend on the power of the caster not the tier spell.

EDIT: Looking back on the anime this is a bit contradictory with what Narberal said to Khajit, wouldn't be the first time though I suppose.

Apeironaxim said:
What do you mean?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_tc5popX3_A

@8:02

Nabe says that the skeletal dragon only nullifies 6th Tier and below magic which would indicate that even 5th tier spell even from Ainz would do nothing, but your quote proves otherwise.

If Nabe is also so much more powerful how come a 6th tier spell doesn't just straight up bypasses the skeletal dragons immunity?

Like I said though, this isn't the first time I've come across such contradictory info in Overlord.

Ainz's magic resistance made him immune to lower to mid-tier spells. It didn't matter how great a caster his opponent was.

Depending on your race, and probably other factors, your resistances can work differently, that's why right after this quote, the one I posted earlier, begins with Shalltear's resistance, on the other hand, because her's works differently than Ainz's, who has such a resistnace due to being a straight caster

Apeironaxim said:
Ainz's magic resistance made him immune to lower to mid-tier spells. It didn't matter how great a caster his opponent was.
Oh I see, they don't seem to specifically name what type of resistance it is though?

The name of the passive/resistance in the game I mean.

Apeironaxim said:
*High Tier Magic Invalidation III: Nullifies all low tier spells.
From Ainz's profile
Welp they don't seem to ever drop the name of the type of resistance the skeletal dragon. This is as much as I can find.

Immune to all magic? It's true that Skeletal Dragons resist magic, but that ability only applies to spells of the sixth tier and below."

The Skeletal Dragons would not reach Narberal for some time yet. During that delay, the strangely calm Khazit finally realised the meaning of Narberal's words.

"—In other words, Skeletal Dragons cannot resist the spells of a higher tier which I, Narberal Gamma, can use."

But I guess its safe to say the resistances with the name Invalidation are truly invalidation. If anyone can find the name of the resistance the dragon has and its also called Invalidation X then that would be contradictory. But ill give it the benefit of a doubt.

Also regarding the immortality type, I don't know if that should be put because Yggdrasil gold isn't infinite.....yet.

Skeletal Dragons were an enemy in the game, therefore they don't have to play by the rules players had

The devs probably just decided to make an enemy with immunity to spells 6th tier and below, as a substantial threat to low-mid level casters

Their immunity probably doesn't have a name, it's just a thing it has, rather than something gained like a player would

Uh

Can I get some more feedback as to wheather we should use Light Novel or Anime artwork for the profiles?

I personally don't care, some of the characters look better in the LN, while others look better in the anime

To me at least

I'll be fine with whichever is chosen

Dargoo Faust said:
Uh

Can I get some more feedback as to wheather we should use Light Novel or Anime artwork for the profiles?
I dont care which though I like Anime!Ainz moar than LN!Ainz

Dargoo Faust said:
Uh
Dont care I like the latest LN illustrations of Ainz more though.

The only weapons that would work on Shalltear were those made of silver and imbued with a certain amount of magical energy, equipment made of general materials but containing an overpowering amount of magical energy, or weapons of a certain attribute she was weak against.

Found this, not sure if it changes anything about who Shalltear can fight against in vs threads

AnonymousBlank said:
Resistance to weapons maybe? While the attributes she is weak to go in the weaknesses section.
The only weapons that would work on Shalltear were those made of silver and imbued with a certain amount of magical energy

Just being made of silver isn't enough it seems, it has to have some magical energy

Silver weapons with magic energy should be in her weaknesses though

Assaltwaffle said:
Ainz's emotion surpression is just weird. It seems to only do what the plot wants it to. Also no, it suppresses negative emotions as well, since it inhibits his wrath (shown when the workers lied to him).
It always works, but it can only remove a certain "amount" of emotions at a time. In situations where it doesn't seem to work, that's because Ainz was just getting so emotional that his suppression couldn't keep up with it. Even in that situation with the workers, all it did was stop him from continuing to yell; he was still furious on the inside.

AnonymousBlank said:
Or crap tons of energy. Holy weapons or fire weapons should also work pretty well since she is an undead.
or weapons of a certain attribute she was weak against

That's probably what this means, weapons with a fire or holy attribute

I've come to discuss Demiurge's race. Basically, he's a demon. Imps are demonic or a lesser class of demon. Devil is oftentimes a literal synonym for demon. Even if it isn't, a devil would still fall into the demonic category across most of fiction.

Saying "Demiurge wouldn't be effected by stuff against demons because he is an Imp/Devil" is just... ridiculous in all honesty.

Assaltwaffle said:
I've come to discuss Demiurge's race. Basically, he's a demon. Imps are demonic or a lesser class of demon. Devil is oftentimes a literal synonym for demon. Even if it isn't, a devil would still fall into the demonic category across most of fiction.
Saying "Demiurge wouldn't be effected by stuff against demons because he is an Imp/Devil" is just... ridiculous in all honesty.
Agreed, after looking at the LN, Ainz even calls Demiurge a demon

Assaltwaffle said:

Races and subraces are listed on the official profiles, and Demiurge isn't listed as a demon at all.

Give me a quote where someone refers to him as a demon with reasonable knowledge on YGGDRASIL's races.

There are many, many fictions that make clear distinctions between demons and devils/imps. Heck, I'd even call Overlord one of them. And I'd rather not generalize every creature that is somewhat related to hell as a demon.

But if you want to call my argument 'ridiculous' without much weight behind yours you can go ahead.

Dargoo Faust said:
Give me a quote where someone refers to him as a demon with reasonable knowledge on YGGDRASIL's races.
"He was the demon who commanded NPC defense operations and the guardian of the seventh level."

- Ainz's narration of Demiurge in Volume 1

Apeironaxim said:
"He was the demon who commanded NPC defense operations and the guardian of the seventh level."
Let me double check to make sure the translation was correct on that.

Even then it's odd Demon wasn't mentioned as one of his races on his profile as it lists both races and subraces.

Dargoo Faust said:
Let me double check to make sure the translation was correct on that.

Even then it's odd Demon wasn't mentioned as one of his races on his profile as it lists both races and subraces.
That was what my official copy of volume 1 says, not sure if that means you need to double check, but official translations have been wrong before, so eh I personally think Demiurge is 100% a demon

Even official translations can have some pretty blatant mistranlations due to localization.

And like I said, that doesn't match up with what he's officially listed as.

@Dargoo

If a work of fiction actually does discern a racial difference between Demon and Devil then sure, Yggdrasil's racial system would apply. However, most fictions I've encountered throw treat demon and devil as synonyms and oftentimes will throw Inps into the mix as, if not outright demons, demonic.

I can't think of a fiction that has a weapon that is stronger against demonic entities but not effect a devil because of such a distinction. The only verses I know that seperates them anyway is DnD and Overlord.

Basically my argument is: if the verse doesn't make a distribution between demon and devil, Demiurge would fall into the demon category as per verse equalization.

Dargoo Faust said:
Even official translations can have some pretty blatant mistranlations due to localization.
And like I said, that doesn't match up with what he's officially listed as.
Doesn't it only show 2-3 racial levels, and then says etc?

So we don't know if one his racial levels is demon related, if that's what you're referring to

It's hard to make generalizations on fiction for that, as for all you know, there are plenty more verses that make the explicit distinction. For example, I can add Magic: The Gathering to that list.

And one could argue that if a verse is already specifically stating "demon-based abilities" it would be weird to apply that to characters who are reffered to something that's only really related culturally speaking.

And yes, Overlord actually does make that distinction. Evil Lord Wraths are called Demons, Demiurge is called an Imp. What Apieronaxim said might change that slightly, however it would be odd to mention both racial classes, and then not list the relevant one under Demiurge.

"With the appearance of a demon - who had probably been there behind them from the beginning, but difficult to make out in the shadows - that mystery was solved.

Demiurge..."

Another mention I found

There is also the fact that his ability names give away that Devil and demon are interchangeable even in verse:

Aspect of the devil: Archdemon's Wrist

Aspect of the devil: Stout Demon's Gigantic Arms

Apeironaxim said:
What regen has Ainz's death manip stopped at?
Ainz's deathhax would actually bypass regen up to Low-Godly from what I'm aware of (although it really depends on the mechanics of the Regenerationn), as it would kill the body immediatly, then prevent ressurection, so any regen past getting a new body altogether would fail.

Back