• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

One Piece Chapter 999: "The Waiting Liquor I Made for You" (Official Release)

Eminiteable

He/Him
Friday the thread will be updated with fan translations for chapter and on Sunday the official release will be out.

Link to Chapter: Viz, Mangaplus

Spoilers could potentially be discussed in this thread, also try not to derail this thread.

Last edited:
Huh, Kaido is a fish. Makes sense. A carp in myth turns into a dragon by going over a waterfall, which Wano has.

Also just realized Kaido’s laugh is Uo rororororo.

Uo means fish.

Last edited:
Not sure if was confirmed a carp yet, could just be another case of the model not matching the fruit type (like Kaku being the Ox Ox fruit but being a giraffe). I mainly think this since apparently in the myth the carp became a golden dragon rather than an azure one (Kaido) and there seems to be some distinction when I read into the myths.

But what this does probably confirm is how Kaido has yet to be killed by drowning and why he was referred to as the strongest creature on the sea; if he has a fish fruit he likely can breathe under water.

Though would he be able to swim? Jack is a Fishman and can breathe, but he couldn’t move.
Who knows, would be weird if he could but maybe it could be possible: Ryujin are known as the god of the sea, maybe this fruit is the exception which is why it's potentially the "life debt" big mom was talking about.

Ultimately I'm unsure but I'd at least expect it to allow him to breathe underwater like Jack.

I feel that Oda made this choice to pass the dragon fruit on to another character (Maybe Dragon or Yamato? Idk).
Probably, I doubt we will get multiple of one animal series for the mythical class, most likely Yamato since I doubt there will be two versions of the Eastern dragon fruit so Dragon having weather abilities has to be due to something else.

Last edited:
Why do I get the feeling that this is why Big Mom and Kaido hate each other? She gave him a Devil Fruit that turns you into a fish, which pissed him off. Then he somehow managed to get it to turn into a dragon, which pissed her off and demanded a life dept.

I really enjoyed this chapter and there are also some new Infos about characters' strength!
Base Yamato was equal to rookie Ace, who was equal to Jinbe.
Ace talks about Cavendish as the most notable new gen pirate, I remember vivercards saying that Cavendish was planned to be Ace's rival. Then, he talks about other new gen Pirates such as Bege, Kidd and Law and he says that they're not comparable to him.
After this chapter I think that we should possibly upgrade Cavendish (Hakuba in particular) and Bege who seems to be one of the strongest supernovas according to the portray of this chapter.
Kaido is chilling after have defeated the scabbards, he's a badass.
Big Mom sees Kaido as a lil brother and.. gave him the Fish Fish fruit? Kaido the Fish? The strongest creature in the world Is a fish? Hilarious.
The only thing I hated of this chapter? Whitebeard. Whitebeard would have fought against everyone in Marineford, even if Ace was already dead (confirmed by Garp), but he didn't avenge Oden...

Whitebeard would have fought against everyone in Marineford, even if Ace was already dead (confirmed by Garp), but he didn't avenge Oden...
I mean, Newgate trying to save Ace can be more because he wanted to turn him in the Pirate King than something he would do to anyone.

Also, Oda can't throw a nuclear weapon (not-dying Whitebeard) in any character if he wants them to survive to fight Luffy, even the "how did Ace survive his attack at Wano/Onigashima?" ended with Kaido not being there at the moment.

Now, are all the 9 Scabbards dead? I know Kaido and Linlin are there and all that, but i don't want them to day, much less off-screen. I can see it being the simbology of their death by Kaido's hands meaning nothing to them, tho.

upgrade Cavendish (Hakuba in particular) and Bege who seems to be one of the strongest supernovas according to the portray of this chapter.
I think this is Ace just going off what he hears in the newspapers.
The only thing I hated of this chapter? Whitebeard. Whitebeard would have fought against everyone in Marineford, even if Ace was already dead (confirmed by Garp), but he didn't avenge Oden...
Yeah it sucks for his character, although it does provide evidence of how strong Whitebeard saw Oden and from there how strong Whitebeard viewed Kaido (Oden definitely scales to the Yonko)

Seems Marco and Zoro are ignoring the calamities like I thought and are just trying to reach Kaido (although it seems Marco has no intention of joining the fight) so since Marco is holding Zoro by the legs it makes it very easy for him to kick him up the rest of the way if King intervenes.

Oh yeah and all the Big Mom betraying Kaido theories can finally die now, they're going back to fighting once they find One Piece & Big Mom went to the top to reach Kaido. Since BM once again mentioned that life debt I think Kaido will just let her have Luffy, so potentially Luffy VS Big Mom.

Always nice to see a flashback with fire fist Ace. It was short but sweet and I enjoyed his interaction with Yamato. This should confirm for everyone who doubted that Yamato has Armament haki but more importantly I liked how Ace saw through Yamato so quickly and brought up the shackles on his heart. Oda also did well to juxtapose this story from Yamato to Momosoke with Nami telling her own story about Luffy and Ace and their connection to Roger. Also we get confirmation Whiteboard knew about kaido (OF course) and considered him a bigger threat than the Marines and Shichibukai combined.

More confirmation that Queen is a cyborg and still has some tricks up his sleeve. I wonder if we'll see him use gas as well now that he can fire attacks from his mouth. The way they went through Marco was just like Kizaru VS Marco back in the day so I wonder if this means Queen doesn't have armament hake? Most likely King will fight Marco and Zoro while Queen fights Kidd and Killer very soon. Should be good.

It is funny how everyone has been speculating whether Kaido has an Oni fruit or Dragon fruit, then Oda goes and pulls this fish move. I'd think it was a typo except for the legend of the carp and waterfall backing it up. I wonder that since this is a Mythical model of Fish fruit then there may be other fish models out there and if they have any specialty under water? I doubt it, but it could be a neat loop cool if Oda wants to go down that road. In the meantime It is great seeing Big Mom and Kaido together and I like how Kaido pulled a Fourth Wall Breaking there when he said it is too early in the story for Big Mom to betray him.

Overall I give this chap a 8/10. :)

So, the only Ryu in the arc isn't a Ryuu Ryuu no Mi at all? Actually, "ryuu" is only for dinosaurs? Meh, now Yamato can have the Dragon fruit.

One Piece Zoology 101 : Dinosaurs are actually Dragons but Dragons are actually fish ...

As far as Whitebeard is considered, he's a complicated character and moreover, Oden was determined to do things his own way - a choice that both Whitebeard and Roger respected

@Dr.Fix - Kaido isn't viewed as a bigger threat than the WG according to Whitebeard.

Think about the situation: Whitebeard went to battle at Marineford solely to save Ace's life, not to directly try and destroy the marines themselves. Whitebeard died in battle and his crew + alliance would have also perished if they had stayed to fight.

When it comes to "sieging Onigashima", Whitebeard knows what kind of threat Kaido is, and isn't willing to sacrifice the lives of his subordinates just to have a fight on a whim. He'd be entering enemy territory to start an all out war where his subordinates would end up being killed in battle (especially since Oden "lost"). This isn't even taking into consideration the potential of Shanks/Big Mom/WG leaping in to take Whitebeard's territories, or join the battle and ensure that Whitebeard dies anyways since he'd be cornered on enemy grounds.

So they'd just be going on a revenge quest (for Oden more than Ace's promise to Yamato) with a higher chance of defeat.

@XDragnoir - I still want Yamato to be a type of Oni or Ogre, but the Dragon possibility has returned at full force...

The Ace/Yamato flashback was nice, but I was glad Oda kept it super short. It was funny how Ace couldn't remember Cavendish's name just like Luffy, and also how Yamato got a little irritated at him for talking about his brother so much. Poor Barto, as much of a super Luffy fan as he is, Ace has him beat.

Loved how Marco acknowledged Robin by named like he does Zoro, though called Brook 'Bone Man' lol. Robin and Brook being told to run up the castle is clearly to set up their fights, but hopefully they split up and Robin is the one who head to the 3rd Floor where Sanji and Black Maria is. I am not interested in seeing Robin and Brook vs. Black Maria like I've seen people suggest on Reddit one bit.

Glad to see that Whitebeard and his crew did find out about Oden and the reason that he didn't try to avenge him, and personally I thought it made it perfect sense considering Whitebeard's character. But of course you have people in the fanbase saying that Whitebeard deciding not to go after Kaido is now a plothole, that it ruined his character, and some are even calling him a coward. Smh.

Kaido and Big Mom look menacing as hell just chilling on the roof like that while waiting for Luffy to arrive. Not surprised at all that the name of Kaido's devil fruit is the Fish-Fish Fruit, this is Oda after all. Pretty interesting that Big Mom was the one who gave it to him and that it was the debt she had mentioned before that he owed her, but my favorite part from the entire chapter was seeing a Yonko finally show interest in Robin. It was said by Nekomamushi back in Chapter 818 that big names would come after her and it's finally starting to happen, but I don't see Big Mom and Kaido succeeding if they try to capture Robin.

Well, Marco and Zoro need to be at the top to fight Kaido without wasting energy against Queen and King, but then there will not be enough characters to fight the calamities and the tobiroppo, Brook could switch with Jinbe to fight Who's Who, but the connection between Jinbe and Whos erases this possibility completely.

Sanji also does not have a match up anymore and i really doubt Marco would stay behind to 2v2 King and Queen with Sanji, 4-5 Supernovas aren't enough to defeat one Yonkou much less two.

@CinCameron20 An interesting analysis but I disagree with the subjective take away. Both Kaido and WG offended him, but only one suffered his wrath because the other was too powerful. Other great powers intervening are a threat regardless of enemy so there is no reason for you to bring that up as a sole Kaido factor. I could debate this at length but this isn't the place and I rather enjoyed the chapter overall.

@CinCameron20 An interesting analysis but I disagree with the subjective take away. Both Kaido and WG offended him, but only one suffered his wrath because the other was too powerful. Other great powers intervening are a threat regardless of enemy so there is no reason for you to bring that up as a sole Kaido factor. I could debate this at length but this isn't the place and I rather enjoyed the chapter overall.
There is a subtle difference though. Whitebeard learned of Oden's death years after it had already happened so that conflict is something that is rooted in the past, whereas Ace was Whitebeard's hope for the future - which at least partly explains the difference between his responses

@Dr.Fix - We'll agree to disagree then.

@XDragnoir - Marco is only aiming to help the SHs and doesn't seem to have a desire to engage Kaido (or even Big Mom), so if he needs to fight King/Queen/Both to ensure Zoro gets to the top safely (ironic considering the 2 strongest enemies are up there) and to make sure they don't attack the other SHs, he'll do it.

Since Robin and Brook have entered the tower, it's almost a guarantee that Robin will engage Black Maria. I'm not sure about Brook, but he may perform a support role in that fight or guide Sanji away before fighting someone else (most likely fodder Smile users).

Yeah, Marco has no interest in fighting Kaido, but he also doesn't seem to have interest in fighting King and much less Queen, while he knows someone needs to stop Big Mom so that the new generation can defeat Kaido.

Brook fighting Smiles? No way, even Usopp and Nami are likely going to fight Tobiroppo and Brook is way above them, he could be the one who will help Sanji 2v2 the Calamities.

@XDragnoir - Marco fighting King/Queen would have purpose given that he is the only one present to deal with either of them and prevent King specifically from chasing Zoro up onto the roof.

Usopp and Nami are going to use "Tama's plan", which is probably going to involve using her dango ability to try and convert Page and Ulti into Tama's servants. We've already seen that U/N will not win a head-on fight in any way due to how casually they were overpowered. That's the only way I could see them win tbh, but it all depends if Tama's dango can work on a true DF user.

Sanji and Brook vs someone like Queen or King still seems very unlikely unless they are going to get more help. even 2v1 I do not see them winning. Keep in mind Queen alone is significantly above Drake and Apoo.

I wonder where this Jinbe and Who's Who situation is going to lead. Perhaps WW might end up being a potential ally if he knew Jinbe in the past (or an enemy from Jinbe's past and he gets thwacked)

Marco fighting King/Queen would have purpose given that he is the only one present to deal with either of them and prevent King specifically from chasing Zoro up onto the roof.
Well, i still dislike the idea of 4-6 Supernova defeating 2 Yonkou, Kid and Killer lack any special things to possibly fight the Yonkou (internal ryou and Enma-PTSD) and were already defeated by Shanks.

Usopp and Nami are going to use "Tama's plan", which is probably going to involve using her dango ability to try and convert Page and Ulti into Tama's servants. We've already seen that U/N will not win a head-on fight in any way due to how casually they were overpowered. That's the only way I could see them win tbh, but it all depends if Tama's dango can work on a true DF user.
It does not change they will be the ones to fight Ulti and Pay-tan, and it fits the style Nami and Usopp normally use (plans, tricks, etc), maybe "fight" isn't the right word, but they will each others oppponents.

Sanji and Brook vs someone like Queen or King still seems very unlikely unless they are going to get more help. even 2v1 I do not see them winning. Keep in mind Queen alone is significantly above Drake and Apoo.
That is why i was hoping for King/Queen vs Sanji/Jinbe, but this connection with a Tobiroppo ruined it. But well, if 4 Supernova will 4v2 Kaido and Linlin, there is no problem in 2 Straws defeating 2 Calamities, surpassing their own limits and all that Battle Shounen thing.

I wonder where this Jinbe and Who's Who situation is going to lead. Perhaps WW might end up being a potential ally if he knew Jinbe in the past (or an enemy from Jinbe's past and he gets thwacked)
Well, we alreaady had Drake as the Tobiroppo traitor, so more traitors in the same 6 persons group will be repetitive, this connection also came out of nowhere so we really have no idea where it is going.

Why does everyone assume Robin will fight Black Maria? She is already busy with Sanji and will likely be defeated by the time Brook and Robin scale the floors.

On a different but not unrelated topic I usually do not scale characters too close together but it seems the Tobbi Robbo line up is as follows based on order of appearance and enemy:

1. Black Maria- one of the last to reveal her Devil fruit and her opponent is the #3.
  2. Who's Who- One of the last to reveal his devil fruit and his opponent is Jinbe
  3. Sasaki- One of the last to reveal his devil fruit and his opponent is Franky
  4. Ulti- In the middle appearance wise, has some of the best feats. Fighting Nami and Usoop and others.
  5. Drake- One of the first to be revealed. His opponent is Apoo
  6. Page One- One of the first to be revealed.

Well, i think the strongest Tobiroppo is WW, since Jinbe is the strongest Straw and is likely going to have a full fight with him. More exactly:

Who's Who > Sasaki > Black Maria > Ulti > Page One

No idea where Drake would fit, but maybe Drake, Sasaki and WW are equals in power.

Well, i think the strongest Tobiroppo is WW, since Jinbe is the strongest Straw and is likely going to have a full fight with him. More exactly:

Who's Who > Sasaki > Black Maria > Ulti > Page One

No idea where Drake would fit, but maybe Drake, Sasaki and WW are equals in power.
Agree about Tobi Roppos' scaling.

You think Franky is stronger than Sanji???
Sanji vs Maria is another Kalifa situation, it should be obvious at this point, either that or Sanji will win low diff.

Maria wasn't one of the Tobiroppo with the ambition to become a Calamity, and at the same time she wasn't one of the "kids", meaning she is in the middle.

Btw, i think Franky's durability is above Sanji's, since durability is Sanji's weakness and one of Franky's qualities.

And Sanji is going to 2v1 King and Queen, obviously.

Back