• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

One Piece Chapter 994: "My other name is Yamato" (Official Release)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eminiteable

He/Him
This is the final chapter of Volume 97. Friday the thread will be updated with fan translations for chapter and on Sunday the official release will be out.

Break next week

Official Release: Viz
Mangaplus

Spoilers could potentially be discussed in this thread

Last edited:
So far all we know is Act 3 is soon to reach its climax and next volume made Iwasaki (new editor) cry.

Probably all scabbards will be defeated by a serious Kaido while Luffy joins the battlefield against him.

Definitely think we will see the Scabbards on the losing end this chapter, think it's a bit too early for anyone to reach Kaido yet tho.

Maybe Kaido will turn them into ice sculptures for Luffy to find. Then Kaido leaves for the Capital for some good ol rampaging fun.

I do not think the Scabbards will be defeated at least for a few more chapters (Or if they are, Kaido will be chilling or run up on Wano). The manga might turn away from the fight for a while before revealing the outcome with Luffy's perspective. Several fights need to be set-up before we see Luffy actually engage Kaido, which could be happening over the course of the next 3 or so chapters. Jinbe/Sanji/Luffy are still on the lower floors of the tower, Yamato is fighting regular Gifters, Zoro and Drake have to fight the Ice Oni, and none of the major characters have a single dancing partner yet.

Omg, Zoro be slacking. He really needs to live up to his "killing Kaido" hype.

Discussing my thoughts on the chapter:

Looks like the Scabbards really wont be going down easily. It only took like 2 pages for Kiku to stand right back up with another blade despite losing an entire arm (The way the arm was drawn last chapter seemed as if the torso was also torn, but I guess not). These guys really will not be going down unless they are struck by killing blows.
  • I wonder how long Neko and Inu can maintain their Sulong form. I don't think they'd be in serious trouble upon losing the transformation since they are beasts even in base form (each equal to Jack, and by extension, Ashura), but that's only if they aren't rendered fatigued like Carrot was previously.

Sasaki looks pretty concerned about Yamato's strength considering he one-shot a Gifter with a SHOCKWAVE. I'm still curious if Yamato is a DF user since he wears the two-horns like the Gifters. I still suspect it will be some kind of Oni or Ogre-like transformation. If Yamato was able to take down Ulti with one (surprise) attack, I wonder how well Sasaki will fare against him.

We saw a Giraffe Gifter again, so I'm really thinking that the Smiles were experimented via original Devil Fruits by trying to replicate their properties, because we know Kaku hasn't had his ability for a long period, so perhaps before CP9 got their hands on the fruit, Caesar and Doffy each used it to produce some SAD, resulting in many Giraffe-type Smiles? We could potentially see someone with a similar Smile to Lucci's DF as well.

Queen was pretty stupid for lending an antidote to Apoo, since now he's going to be targeted by literally everyone, and Chopper will certainly be capable of making a cure for the Ice Oni. If anything, open the door to let Apoo in, even if a handful of enemies manage to get into the tower, sheesh. I wonder if Zoro will get lost and end up in the tower while chasing Apoo.
  • This is, of course, assuming Queen handed an antidote to Apoo in the first place. We might see Apoo straight-up poison himself before Chopper/Zoro/Samurai manage to get their hands on it.

Last edited:
Oda is clearly having fun with these Gifters’ designs. Each one being more wacky than the other, it’s so hilarious and yet so disturbing

And Kiku is doing a Zoro so I can’t complain

It would be funny that the antidote that Queen give Apoo was just a fake and still have the real one on him, but then again, this is the same guy who removed Luffy’s Sea Stone cuff in Udon to make things fair

The only sad thing about this chapter is that we have to wait another week for the next chapter. The road to Chapter 1000 is going to be a little longer due to this break.

Kaido finally realizes that fighting in his dragon form is just making himself a bigger target and decides to go into his human form. And Kaido really idealizes death and thinks highly of it.

I’m going to wait for the official to come out, but if Queen is right in that those hit by his Ice Oni bullet dies within an hour due to the extreme cold, would that counts as Death Manipulation.

It would count as that probably since it has a set time I guess.

Kaido speaks off humans as if he wasn't one, just how Marco called Kaido an Oni a few chapters ago. Shouldn't we change Kaido's classification on his page to Oni?

I don't think Haki was involved in that attack. It's probably just Air Manipulation. Yamato seems to have simply KO'd a Gifter with the shockwave of swinging his club.

I'm thinking Apoo will betray Queen for making everyone target him. I'm expecting Apoo and Hawkins to both turn on the Beast Pirates in this battle.

I say Ryou simply because the effect used seems eerily similar to the Ryou used previously like Hyou's. Rayleigh and Shutenmaru.

Also I've been working on the sandbox for Yamato and I need to confirm if we consider his thunder Bagua to be electricity manipulation since Kaido recently had it accepted (before he showcased it in dragon form) and he does show the same Electricity effect that Kaido had.

I believe Yamato does have electricity manipulation if he can perfectly replicate Kaido's version.

With the club swing, I didn't see anything resembling to Ryou. It really seemed like Yamato just swung really hard and sent someone flying with air. But we will see if Yamato has Ryuo if that ends up being the case. Though it is obvious Yamato at least uses Armament Haki since he battled against Ace in the past and would have been helpless without at least a basic understanding of Haki.

What case from Shutenmaru are you talking about? I'm fairly certain we've only seen Ryou emitted literal walls and very short extensions of Haki (Rayleigh, Hyou, Sentomaru, Whitebeard, Roger, and the 3 Admirals). The only other thing similar being the ability to extend the Haki into other objects like Zoro/Fuji/Doffy/etc.

Woops made a mistake with the names of Sentomaru and Shutenmaru.

I suppose adding armament haki (since we know Ace had his fruit at that point in the past), electricity manipulation & air Manipulation (via the shockwave) seems fine then.

Last edited:
Should be death manipulation on top of ice manipulation and berserker mode. Should have marksman on his profile as well if not already and something to note he is a bio engineer.

For Yamato I agree with @CinCameron20 it certainly could be Armament, but those type of air attacks are way too common to rush to judgement.

Also, it looks like there is more lightning or something in the first panel showing off Kaido's range and that the entire rooftop of the tremendous skull is no longer safe.

For Queen, Ice Oni seems like a mix of "Poison Manipulation, Mind/Madness Manipulation, Ice Manipulation, and Biological manipulation" to varying extents.

It really seems as though the situation reflects the fact that Kaido is just now about to get serious, and not allow himself to receive another injury @Dr.Fix It could be a typical Shounen troupe of the antagonist intentionally lowering himself in order to experience a proper challenge, similarly to how Frieza from DBZ restricted his true power behind several transformations and a power-dial, lol. It really seems like he was trolling them with potentially allowing them to inflict harm to his dragon form, and now we see him returning to his Base form as he states to be capable of finishing this battle.

I believe the Scabbards are finished, but not before they put up one last fight against Kaido.

I think disease manipulation is more accurate since it's a virus and not a poison. But I agree with madness manipulation.

At this point I'm done underestimating the Scabbards, I remember last chapter I thought Kawamatsu would be out of the fight but he appears fine, and I thought Kiku would definitely be out but again they can still fight. It really seems like Oda is driving home the "don't underestimate samurai" line he's repeated a lot through the arc, they'll definitely be defeated but I'm not too sure we're done just yet just because Kaido says so.

Yeah there has been a lot of Scabbard disrespect lately. It is ridiculous given Oda's narrative of "Don't underestimate them" and how long he has been hyping up the Power Levels. A lot of people just prefer to tear down rather than enjoy new developments.

@CinCameron20 hmm maybe? Kind of a weird connection unless kaido's zoan makes him substantially weaker, but it is possible.

I think Kaido's Dragon form is stronger, maybe his striking strength is weaker but we'll have to wait and see for that to be confirmed. I think his roar attacks and durability are certainly superior in dragon form.

There's still a lot of uncertainty since we haven't even gotten confirmation if Kaido is a zoan user or if he is which state was his original? The dragon or the Oni? From Yamato you would assume the Oni would be it, yet, Yamato can use lightning with her thunder Bagua.

So I read the chapter and I’m surprised that Luffy didn’t ask the Gifters how do they poop, especially the chicken gifter

Also, it is a good thing that they managed to defeat the giraffe gifter sooner rather than later because if we learn anything from Kaku, one should not underestimate the immense power of a giraffe

@Dr.Fix - That's not what I meant. I just think Kaido was passively reducing his overall power and durability in order to give the Scabbards an opportunity.

It's a reasonable theory that Kaido's Zoan form is weaker, but I dont buy it and assume he simply wasn't serious from the start in both of his fights with Luffy and the Scabbards. He will now start fighting serious and the Scabbards might not be able to force him into relying on his Dragon Form (considering one attack could've killed Kiku had it been positioned or angled differently).

"I'm ready to die" Kaido Base/Dragon < "serious" Kaido Base < "serious" Kaido Dragon.

Also, we got a small panel focused entirely on Inu/Neko "huffing", so I'm suspecting that their Sulong transformations are going to disappear in a chapter or two.

I just think Kaido was passively reducing his overall power and durability in order to give the Scabbards an opportunity.
That makes even less sense. Holding back his strikes, okay, that's fine. You don't lower durability from its base.

Oden's leftover haki makes more sense to me. Even trauma makes more sense and I do not rate that highly.

P:S This auto correct is a pain.

I do think Kaido is being affected by Oden's spirit in this fight, but Kaido was willing to let himself be killed by the Scabbards due to seeing Oden in them, but upon realizing they were not even comparable to Oden's skill and power, he's done with them. They can not offer him a glorious death.

Kaido was willing to let himself be killed by the Scabbards due to seeing Oden in them, but upon realizing they were not even comparable to Oden's skill and power, he's done with them
I don't see it like that, Kaido seemed confused more than once in previous chapters, he wouldn't be confused if he was consciously lowering his own stats, i think "Haki PTSD" is a better explanation.

As for Ice Oni's indexing, i disagree with death hax, it is a poison/disease, these things always have a expected amount of time to kill who is affected by them.

As for this chapter:

For me this chapter had the best moments with Yamato, both for strength and personality.

Kiku is probably my favorite Scabbard alongside Inu and Neko, and now she, just like Neko, is suffering from Shanksism (having one's left arm removed just to look more badass).

Now for Vs Battle things:

More or less, what are the tiers of each rank in the Beast Pirates?

Hmm, does Kaido have regeneration? He looks unharmed in his human form despite suffering countless injuries and bleeding in the last chapter.

Hmm, does Kaido have regeneration? He looks unharmed in his human form despite suffering countless injuries and bleeding in the last chapter.
the injuries get scaled down it seems. So the only effect that's somewhat visible is the effect of Togen Totsuka

I think something like Mid-Low regen would be good, he was pierced in many places during the Sunacchi, but moments after he wasn't even bleeding anymore. Just as a "possibly', since there is no confirmation.

Last edited:
Yeah doesn't look like any of those injuries stayed even in dragon from. So he should get regeneration.

No I don't think so. Injuries disappearing is common for Oda, unless they are significant enough for him to repeatedly draw over and over again.

There has been no mention of regeneration for Kaido in the material. And given that we see injuries that were actually turning-points in each fight simply vanish and reappear constantly (Both of Katakuri's stab wounds inflicted on himself and Luffy, literally 90% of Doflamingo's injuries reappear and vanish, Law's piercing injuries on his chest, and many lesser cases), this could very well be the same case for Kaido, especially since those injuries are being stated to be "insignificant" and wont matter anyways.

@XDragnoir - If you are asking about tiers as in the tiering system, Kaido is currently 6-B while everyone else is At least 7-A+ or less. If you are referring to a ladder system, I would say it goes like this: Kaido > King > Queen > Jack > Tobi Roppo ("Strongest Headliners") >/= Apoo >/= Hawkins > Numbers > Headliners > Gifters > Pleasures/Waiters.

Yamato isn't a Beast Pirate, but given his history and current feats and implications, I would probably put him somewhere around Queen. He's apparently fought against a younger Ace, easy-clapped Zoan Ulti vis surprise attack (And when Ulti later engaged him, Yamato seemed quite dismissive of her), and now one swing of the club has Sasaki visibly shaken.

So, Sasaki has a team of Gifters? While Hamlet and 4Tricks are Headliners?

A few Sulongs were needed to defeat Hatcha iirc, so we could scale them above the Sulongs individually, i would put the Sulongs at least in 420MTs , due to being massive upgrades to >377MTs characters. I can't understand the Gifters/Headliners relationship tho, a few of the former were being a "problem" to some of our top tiers, while we have a few of the latter being one-shot casually. As for Apoo and Hawkins, why would they be above the Numbers? Also, I think it is too soon to have Yamato at Second Commander level, for now he could be at high-F6 or Third Commander level without it contradicting his feats.

Another question, why it seems some users treat full zoan transformations as being 100% better than the non-transformed form? This isn't really the case, full zoan is stronger in some aspects and weaker in others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back