• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.
That's a great question.
It's because although Void isn't the ONE (the root) but she is the closest to what it would be like if it had a personality and character due to being an imperfect embodiment of it obviously humans cannot create an omnipotent but the ryougi family could due to having powers related to akasha such as the yin yang thing etc.

It's because although Void isn't the ONE (the root) but she is the closest to what it would be like if it had a personality and character due to being an imperfect embodiment of it obviously humans cannot create an omnipotent but the ryougi family could due to having powers related to akasha such as the yin yang thing etc.
No, I mean literally - Deagonx calls the experience of female Shiki while "dead" post male Shiki suicide as a "omniscient being's description"
The floating/sinking "in the Root" scene.
He also says Shiki is literally IN the root (saying it's a physical location, so to say), while her body is in a hospital bed...
How serious, that reply? He gave a light smile. Like a butterfly scattered in the afternoon light, her gaze left him in a moment. She lowered her hand, softly as the snowfall.

—Quite right. Shiki can only destroy. And to you, after all, I suppose I am she.

—Shiki?

A long pause.

—My origin is nihil. From nihil I originated, the flesh that I am, the corpse in the womb to which life was somehow given. That is why Shiki can perceive death. For two years, in her comatose state, she was unable to view the outside world, and could do nothing but gaze into the nihil that Ryougi Shiki "is." More than simply seeing, she felt death.

—All that time she was floating there in that ocean which others call the "swirl of the Root." Shipwrecked all alone in the midst of " ".

Yes, indeed.

If nihil is her origin, then most likely she wills to bring all things to nought. Shiki is able to kill anything without exception, for that reason alone. The personality, Shiki, strives to negate. Why? Because that is the original pattern of her soul. The inclination to nihil, which ardently wishes the death of all creation.

—That is Shiki's capability. Much like Asagami Fujino, she perceives a unique channel in which things unseen by others become visible. When she "looks" at them, she is seeing a glimpse of the architect's floor-plan for all reality. That is the "swirl of the Root."

—But I can see much further than that. No, rather - I may well be that "swirl" myself.

She was looking him right in the eye, but her tone of voice was insecure, uncertain. As if to let slip, between moments, an utterly incommunicable loneliness.

—The swirl of the Root is a "place" where all causalities interlace, where all things are in potential, and therefore where nothing is whatsoever. That is my true shape. Though I am merely bound to it, I am nonetheless a part of it. And the part and the whole of a nothingness are the same, wouldn't you say?

1) Shiki is objectively, as a body, in the hospital.
2) The "swirl of the root" that she's feeling is her own interior, the same thing that Void Shiki "looks at". Normally, Shiki would be viewing the exterior. This also plays in the "part of nothingness is equal to the whole thing", because she's no the whole of it, but as it's nothingness in essence, a part and the whole of it are equal. "I may well be that - SWIRL - " -- if you remember Origins expo conversation, the reason this is important is very obvious.
3) Void Shiki herself confirms she is a "body" forced to acquire something similar to personality by the awakening of her Origin. Narration multiple times asserts the strangeness of he speach and she confirms she's using Shiki's "language" to speak.
4) Compare the below with the part about how Shiki's "soul pattern" "ardently wishes the death of all creation".
—Shiki has no liking for murder. She misunderstands herself if she thinks that. Everything she has in the way of a will to homicide comes from me. She herself has no such preference. So don't worry yourself over it, Kokutou. If there is a killer here at all, it is none other than myself. The only one who ever wanted to kill you, was yours truly.
There are more things, but TL hunting at midnight isn't a game I'm willing to play right now.

One of the strange readings of this convo, actually, is that Shiki was actually "looking/feeling" Void Shiki, her own Origin.

Last edited:
Back