• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.
Um why does fou hate Merlin again?
Because Merlin kicked Fou out of Avalon
3b3fe7afd8f20e7377dd6de02c3cc33d.jpg

Pure Prism is already a thing in NA right? Just get it there, but you can only lvl one skill though.

i used my pure prisms long ago so no and what I was actually trying to say is. Why would she need so many stakes for though is what I’m saying.

does she a big vampire problem is that why would she would need So many of them?

like in-universe reason why she would need so many

she's right. Like 50%. Excalibur stops her growth and mordred is a copy of that so she is also flat. Artoria without excalibur and a hypothetical Mordred who was created with her as a basis would have big breasts.

that’s why lancer Mordred is like this (I already posted it here but this explains everything)

z4Ip954_d.webp

Voyager​

• Class: Foreigner
  • True Name: Voyager
  • Origin: Historical Fact
  • Region: North America, United States of America
  • Alignment: Neutral-Good
  • Height/Weight: 127cm, 26kg (First and Second Ascension)148cm, 40kg (Third Ascension)

Stats​

• Strength: E
  • Endurance: C
  • Agility: A+
  • Mana: B
  • Luck: A
  • NP: B
Scenario Writer: Hoshizora Meteo

Character Designer: NOCO

Voice Actor: Iguchi Yuka

Main Appearances: Fate/Requiem, Fate/Grand Order

Class Skills​

Existence Outside the Domain: C

In contrast to Foreigners gaining this skill as emissaries of Outer Gods, this still is suitably granted for one who is a man-made vessel who embarked into space as an envoy.

Independent Navigation: A

A skill equal to Independent Action. A skill originating from Voyager's main class of Voyager, where it is rank EX.

Civilization Contact: D

Another skill originating form his original class that can be called a friendly version of Civilization Erosion. It is hoped that one day, this shoddy skill will prove quite useful.

Unique Skills​

Voyager of the Stars: A

A limited version of the skill Pioneer of the Stars, this is a representation of voyages that span the stars, where any seemingly impossible journeys are made possible. A skill derived from his class as Voyager, where it is "Pioneer of the Stars", at EX rank.

Swing-by: A

A specialized combat maneuver. The target's kinetic energy is either taken away or imparted to change their speed beyond the usual limits.

Protection of World's End (Space): B

A skill normally applied to the sacred lance. Voyager has this skill because he possesses an anchor of the stars that is the embodiment of the end of the world.

Noble Phantasm​

Distant Cerulean Star: Pale Blue Dot

Type: Anti-Planet Noble Phantasm

Range: 0-999

Max Targets: 1 Person

Pale Blue Dot.

A faint, tiny light Voyager barely saw when he turned around to look after travelling six billion kilometers. The thoughts of the people who sent him out into the unknown...all of their hopes and dreams for the future live in that tiny 0.12 pixel photo. And as he continues on his journey, the warm wind blows his golden sails.

Representing mankind's possibilities and hidden hopes, this strongly encourages his allies while lessening his enemies' will to fight.

Character​

Pronouns: Boku (Hiragana)/ Boku (Kanji)

Second Person Pronoun: Kimi (Hiragana)

Third Person Pronoun: My friend (Hiragana)

Personality:

Gentle, and a bit untidy. While he doesn't say much and is prone to discreetly observe things, he isn't exactly the silent-type.

As befits a space probe, he is very curious, always seeking out new things and experiences. New smells and tastes excite him, and he is a sucker for delectable dishes and unique desserts.

Even when he is exploring the unknown, he can use his keen sense of direction and spatial awareness to keep from ever getting lost. He also has a great sense of hearing, and can remember anything he hears. Even though he has limited vocabulary, he is versed in various languages. He also enjoys listening to music of all kinds, and he can't help but feel drawn to live performances.

He quite likes donuts because of their resemblance to Saturn's rings.

He doesn't seem to like taking baths.

Feelings Towards Master:

While not restricted to his Master, if his heart gets through to someone, he stands by their side as a dear friend.

Phrases:

"I, ask, of you. Are, you, worthy of, being, my, Master?"

"Swinging By." "I'm really fast, y'know!" "Farther than anyone! Faster than dreams!

”Having someone special is a great. But sometimes, you can still feel lonely..."

"Look. This big blue planet. It's my most cherished memory. Because you, my friend, are there. When I think of it like that, then I am able to smile, always."

(Third Ascension Lines:)

”When my journey ends, I'll probably wanna go on another. But it will end sometime. Until then, you're my Master."

"In another world, I doubt I ever got this form...it makes me feel a little insecure..."

"Houston, do you read me?"

"I will guide them. Peoples' dreams. Peoples' wishes. Grant me your song. Your deepest feelings. They will reach the end of this unending journey. All racing towards, the sea of stars. Someday, we will reach our destination. Pale. Blue. Dot."

Character:

In 1977, the unmanned probe Voyager was launched into the stars from an air base in Florida. The probe recorded many observations about the planets of the solar system, including Jupiter and Saturn, then continued its endless interstellar mission. Even now, he continues to journey through the starry sea outside the heliosphere.

Character in Fate/GO:

Voyager is considered a young Servant for two reasons: he originates from a very recent period of history, and possesses the physical body of an eight-year-old. He is essentially a piece of exploratory equipment made of aluminum alloy that survived the Holy Grail War and ultimately gained a spiritron body equivalent to a human body in order to communicate better with his Master.

In consequence of this miracle, he lacks common sense, has a limited vocabulary, and his appearance is greatly influenced by the preference of Utsumi Erice, a Master with whom he has a close connection. Through multiple Ascensions at Chaldea, he is sure to grow into a formidable being fit to be a guardian of humanity.

Weapons

In his first Ascension, he drops stars like rain, and generates solar wind and such like something out of a fairy tale.

In his third Ascension he has lively, high-speed punches and kicks, while also performing cool stunts while driving a lunar rover.

Character Relationships

Utsumi Erice

Erice is the Master who originally summoned me. I even look the way I do because of her, I think. She can be a lot to handle, but since becoming her friend, we've been really happy.

Kijyo Koyo

She's strong, scary, and kind. Sometimes though, she looks really sad into the distance. I wonder if she had a kid a long time ago...

(Ascension 3)

Edison:

If it wasn't for his competitive spirit, showmanship, and his reckless sense of adventure, I probably wouldn't have been born. That's essentially how journeys start.

Chiron:

The mythological centaur!!! When I began my journey, I rode right along his back. This is sort of an assumption on my part, but...since then, I felt like he's always been watching over me.

Jason:

The greatest "ship" in the night sky is his, of course. I'm not a "ship" in the sense that people can ride on, but my precious cargo I carry will someday reach it's destination.

Comment from the Illustrator (NOCO)​

I was contacted for the Requiem collab happened not long after Requiem went on sale, so I was very taken aback, but also did a little happy dance. I wanted Voyager's Ascension designs to really touch people, so I took great care in making them. His second Ascension is in the style of a certain Prince, while his third is a mix of motifs from space suits + flight jackets with Voyager being a slightly more matured traveler.

Writers:
Nasu solo: Ishtar, Castoria
Nasu + acpi: Jane
Higashide: Astolfo, Orion, Mandricardo
Sakurai: Nightingale, Europa, Odysseus, Olympus
Meteo: Yang Guifei, Requiem
OKSG: Nagiko

Castoria is seemingly the meatier profile of the book.

Unplayable characters mentioned under Related Characters:
Spishtar: Two spoiler-tagged names, one that's very obviously Super Eliza and one that's a bit harder to guess but seems related to Sefar.
Yang Guifei: Li Bai, Abe no Nakamaro, Kuukai
Nagiko: Fujiwara no Teishi
Odysseus: Ajax, Penelope
Quirinus: Ares (Mars)
Erice: Galahad

New NPs:

Stringless sparkbow of love
Penelope for Odysseus. Constantly-active NP with no True Name effect.

Lightshield of the stars Alpha Castor and Lightsword of the stars Beta Pollux
as NP names for Dioscuri's weapons. The shield has Conceptual Defense on True Name but that's never used in FGO.

Sea god's favoritism
Neptune Blessing as the NP name for Caenis's Third Skill, since that was stated to be actually an NP in the in-game profile and never given an NP name.

Quirinus has silver Romulus's Moles Necessarie and that's partially visible in his Extra Attack animation.

Erice's Divinity Skill finally namedrops Izanami for the first time.

• Fate/stay night, while one of the more successful VNs in terms of adaptations, has a number of elements that are very hard to preserve in other media. Most of these relate to it not only having multiple very long routes (each one is about ⅔ the length of The Lord of the Rings), but requiring them to be played through in a specific order.
    • The first route, Fate, takes the time to put all its cards on the table for the player's sake, and demonstrates how the central conflict is intended to play out. This makes it pretty straightforward to adapt since all the exposition is already there— in fact the first anime adaption came just two years after release, with the only major deviation being the removal of the **** scenes. That said, it is also generally considered the blandest of the three routes, because it explores Shirou's character the least and more or less goes how you'd expect it to gonote , which is likely why it tends to fare poorly in adaptations after that initial one. Even that first adaptation threw in scenes or references from the other two routes in order to better pace the run-time and give characters Out of Focus in Fate more character.
    • The second route, Unlimited Blade Works, has a clear point of divergence that allows the story to focus on certain characters and events that were glossed over or even Killed Offscreen the first time around, but this point is before more of the exposition happens. Shirou actually complains several times that he has to play catch-up with all the magi-babble Tohsaka spits out, but the game knows the player's already familiar with these concepts. This all makes UBW very difficult to adapt to another medium without destroying the pacing with tons of additional exposition, and even the best-regarded attempts are admitted to have some Continuity Lockout. Furthermore, the UBW route is the most fight heavy, as it focuses on the Servants duking it out more than the others, so it relies on a lot of exposition and detailed breakdowns of the characters abilities, which doesn't flow well outside the confines of a visual novel.
    • The third and final route, Heaven's Feel, was long considered completely un-adaptable. Put simply, the plot is driven by an In-Universe case of Off the Rails and without understanding how things are supposed to go (which is completely skipped, as the player's been shown twice by now), it's next to impossible to see where things go wrong, let alone understand the characters' reactions. Additionally, a third subset of characters are focused on, and take full advantage of two whole routes worth of Foreshadowing; without it, most of their development teeters back and forth between Diabolus ex Machina and Ass Pull. Finally, the route includes two alternate endings ("Mind of Steel" and "Sparks Liner High") which are among the most popular scenes in the VN, but impossible to work into the main story.
    • In all routes, Shirou is a First-Person Smartass with severe psychological issues which leave him unable to laugh or smile, and compel him to help others even when he knows they're just using him; at the same time, he knows he's strange and tries hard to conceal it from others. Whenever the player is given a choice on how Shirou should act, usually picking the more reasonable options will result in him dying in bizarre and horrific ways, with the option that sounds crazy being the only way to progress. The story actually encourages you collect as many of these bad endings as possible before moving on to the correct answer, and they often provide Foreshadowing for later plot developments. None of this is easy to work into the adaptations (which are linear and usually don't include any of Shirou's snarky narration), resulting in Shirou coming across as far more of The Fool than his VN counterpart.

What do you think guys?

True Name: Florence Nightingale (Santa)

Class: Archer

Source: Historical fact

Region: Europe

Alignment: Lawful Good

Height: 165 cm

Weight: 52 kg

Character Creator: Sakurai Hikaru

Character Design: Takahashi Keitarou

Character Voice: Sawashiro Miyuki

Appearance in Main Works: Fate/Grand Order

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Strength: D+

Endurance: B+

Agility: B+

Magic: D+

Luck: A+

Noble Phantasm: B

Class Skills​

Magic Resistance: C

Negates spells with a chant of two verses or less.
Cannot defend against something more complex, like high magecraft or ritual curses.
Independent Action: A+

The ability to sustain herself for a while even if the mana supply from the Master is severed.
For the sake of her mission, she can fight alone.
Mad Enhancement: EX

Ranks up all parameters but deprives her of most of her sanity.
It’s unknown if this property was carried over from her original Berserker Saint Graph or if it was kept as a unique trait of the Heroic Spirit Nightingale.
She speaks slightly more tenderly than when she was a Berserker, but her basic conversation style hasn’t changed all that much.

Personal Skills​

Assault Medicine: C+

It's not a gun.
It is medicine.

The gun-like syringe owned by Archer Nightingale injects a variety of ampoules containing drugs with different effects by shooting them like a long-range weapon. It fires at 20 shots per second.
With a direct hit, the nursing/treatment subject will be healed in a matter of seconds.
With a direct hit, the sterilization/disinfection subject will be eradicated.
It’s a constantly active Noble Phantasm, but it’s displayed as a Skill in-game.
Nurse of Steel (Christmas): A+

An altered version of the Nurse of Steel Skill she has as a Berserker.
The Bell the Angel Rings in the Holy Night: EX

Archer Nightingale shows very little interest in the actual event of Christmas, but her modus operandi is deeply connected to the Holy Night.
Her scarlet costume and the golden bell fastened to her traveling bag are proof of that.
Still, she herself has no clue where those came from, she just was like that before she noticed.

Noble Phantasms​

Assault Medicine Fullburst Party (The angel yells, and the devil disappears into the shadows)

Type: Anti-Army Noble Phantasm​
Range: 0-60​
Max. Targets: 50 people​
A full-force raid using Archer Nightingale’s gun-like syringe: The Noble Phantasm Assault Medicine.
It gets rid of all inadmissible pathogens instantly and cures all the sick and wounded in need of treatment instantly.
Assault Medicine (The angel’s drips, the devil’s tears)

Type: Anti-Unit Noble Phantasm​
Range: 0-30​
Max. Targets: 10 people​
Nightingale’s spirit and will to get rid of all inadmissible pathogens and cure all the sick and wounded in need of treatment, abstracted as a sniper Noble Phantasm.
A Constantly Active Noble Phantasm.
We assume it takes a form similar to a gun due to the influence of her military experience.
It’s displayed as a Skill in-game.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

First-person pronoun: Watashi

Second-person pronoun: Anata/Name-san/Mister Name/Miss Name

Third-person pronoun: Kare/Kanojo/Name-san/Mister Name/Miss Name

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Personality​

The Angel of Crimea, who takes duty and devotion as her creed.
A conviction of steel. One who saves people. The Little War Office.
Her character is almost the same when she’s a Berserker, but...
Wonky logic and treatment regardless of consent.
That part is still is the exact same as the regular Nightingale. However...
Upon closer inspection, her words are slightly more graceful than usual.
While not frequently, you may even see her talking like a dreamer.
Archer Nightingale has her mentality mixed with the mentality of the younger Nightingale, the one from before she experienced nursing and medical care firsthand. For that reason, she's minutely more inclined to use phrasings and expressions that evidence her wealthy background.

Motives and attitude towards the Master​

She wishes all the candy in the world would turn into medicine (like sweet cold remedies).
Also that Christmas should be changed into a holiday that celebrates the healing of wounds and ailments.
But she would never a cast a wish upon the Holy Grail for it.
Archer Nightingale wants to do it herself.
If you ask her “Isn’t it supposed to be ‘I wish all medicine in the world would turn to candy’?”, her answer would be “What’s the point? Of turning medicine? Into candy?”.
She’s not any willing to back down about this particular detail.
“Candy turning into medicine is a thing that dreams are made of. But medicine must remain as medicine”.

Dialogue Examples​

• "Nice to meet you. How do you do? Any issues with your health?"
  • "No, I am not an angel. Please refrain from repeating the same misinformation."
  • "Excuse me, it's time for your treatment."
  • "Never forget to wash your hands and rinse your mouth. Are we understood?"
  • "Disinfection, sterilization, pasteurization!"

Character​

Almost the same as Nightingale(Berserker).
She carries a large firearm that looks like a rifle but also like an umbrella, and her class was changed to Archer.
Judging by the key red tone in her outfit, she’s a Santa Servant, apparently…(?)

The reason for this Saint Graph alteration was Nursery Rhyme's meddling.
After a series of incidents, Archer Nightingale accepted the child she once was and will then do her job as a new Santa Servant.
More specifically...
All while praying in the Holy Night, she will...
Fight to improve nursing and hygiene, and defeat all illnesses.
It's the same as always...?
That may be right, but it also may not be.

Related characters​

All Servants

Nightingale perceives all Servants as "soldiers".
They get injured often.
In other words, they are nursing patients.
Enemies

Whoever attacks her is an enemy soldier, but they are also lives to be saved.
She must first incapacitate them or else she won't be able to treat them or nurse them.
Caligula/Phantom/Gilles (Caster)/Salome/Salieri/Mori Nagayoshi/Baobhan Sith

The mentally ill are nursing patients too.
Monte Cristo

He'll need some nursing in the special ward.
Ah, he's escaping again! Mister!
Hold it right there. Mister!
Ashiya Douman

Stop.
It seems you need nursing in the special ward.
Hurry!

Comment from the illustrator​

When I received the commission for Nightingale (Santa), I was requested to make multiple versions. This Mary Poppins-style Santa was chosen among 3 drafts. I talked to them about wanting to draw the other forms, and as result, I got to draw the nurse version from the candidates in the Final Ascension. (Takahashi Keitarou)

question if i was in the nasuverse.

assuming i can learn magic, does that mean i could make my own origin bullets?

(how exactly is a origin bullet made?)

and how do we apply these origin bullets in verse equalization threads. (does something like chakra and ki be equivalent to magic circuits and we assume the bullets will treat them as such)

question if i was in the nasuverse.

assuming i can learn magic, does that mean i could make my own origin bullets?

(how exactly is a origin bullet made?)

and how do we apply these origin bullets in verse equalization threads. (does something like chakra and ki be equivalent to magic circuits and we assume the bullets will treat them as such)
Yes you could make your own Origin Bullets. They would not function as Kiritsugu's do though. It would be based on your own Origin.
According to the Type Moon wiki "The bullets were created from his first and second ribs on both sides being cut off, extracted from his body, ground into dust, condensed with a craft to preserve his soul, and sealed within sixty-six bullets as their core."

Yes you could make your own Origin Bullets. They would not function as Kiritsugu's do though. It would be based on your own Origin.
According to the Type Moon wiki "The bullets were created from his first and second ribs on both sides being cut off, extracted from his body, ground into dust, condensed with a craft to preserve his soul, and sealed within sixty-six bullets as their core."

i'll take my entire ribs (assuming i could regenerate them with a spell or get artifical ones)

though i have a question. If i do join the mage association, will it just be like college but just harder and more dangerous?

also speaking of mages, what did kirei kotomine want anyway. what's his goal, is it to seek pleasure. what is it.

Are Chinese servants the weakest?

does that also apply to lostbelt bosses too?
Fate/Zero Summary talk
Kinoko Nasu X Gen Urobuchi
Moderated by: Takashi Takeuchi

Unused story
Urobuchi:
I was having too much trouble thinking of a Caster, so I asked if I could use a Chinese Xian or something. That's how I learned the "Western only" rule.
Nasu: Plus Xian would be too strong.

And they also have AoG lvl magecraft, by having artificial root.

Fate/Zero Summary talk
Kinoko Nasu X Gen Urobuchi
Moderated by: Takashi Takeuchi

Unused story
Urobuchi:
I was having too much trouble thinking of a Caster, so I asked if I could use a Chinese Xian or something. That's how I learned the "Western only" rule.
Nasu: Plus Xian would be too strong.

And they also have AoG lvl magecraft, by having artificial root.
they also have a lot of AoG heroes and ruler wanking

True Name: Sei Shounagon

Class: Archer

Source: Historical fact

Region: Japan

Alignment: Chaotic Good

Height: 157 cm

Weight: 46 kg

Character Creator: OKSG

Character Design: Mika Pikazo

Character Voice: Farouz Ai

Appearance in Main Works: Fate/Grand Order

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Strength: E

Endurance: D

Agility: B

Magic: C

Luck: A

Noble Phantasm: D++

Class Skills​

Negates spells with a chant of two verses or less.
Cannot defend against something more complex, like high magecraft or ritual curses.
Independent Action (Self-Centered): A

Goes out to have a good time even when her Master is absent.
"Right, let's go to Kyoto."
However, she needs her Master's backup for things that demand vast amounts of magical energy, such as using her Noble Phantasm.
Snow on Xianglu Peak: A

In one snowy day, Sei Shounagon's lady, Empress Teishi, asked her what the snow was like atop China's Xianglu Peak. Bai Jiyu's poem read "One must open the bamboo blinds to see the snow on Xianglu Peak", so in reference to it, she raised her lady's blinds high, displaying the snow in her garden.
Sei Shounagon's knack for ascertaining the true essence of every situation often produces a decisive strike.
Law of Ekanaya: A

The Lotus Sutra defines the Law of Ekanaya as an allegory to the idea of being the one and only.
Sei Shounagon's single-minded feelings toward her lady repels all forms of tentation that comes her way.
Sei Shounagon famously used the Law of Ekayana as a metaphor for her views on romance. She strived to be the number one in the heart of her partner, and wouldn't accept being number two or three, but in front of Teishi, she lost all her previous backbone and timidly said:
"For your affection, I could accept being any number.".
The very lady she cared for scold her for this comment.
"Listen here, you need to learn to commit to what you say."
How beautiful that was.

Personal Skills​

Immortal's Poetry: B

Despite being listed among the Thirty-Six Immortal Poets and the Thirty-Six Immortal Poetesses, and having one of her pieces published in the Ogura Hyakunin Isshu, Sei Shounagon dismisses herself as an unskilled poet.
Her distaste for it potentially comes from the incompatibilities of waka poetry's antiquated ruleset and her forward-thinking sensitivities.
Regardless, her poetry often hit the hearts of its readers, and often were used to boldly turn away rude men.
Murasaki Shikibu has a Skill with the same name and rank, but completely different in content. That's a great point of interest to evaluate the differences in the two's personalities. Maybe.
Ousaka's Gateway: A

A rooster's crow may open the Hangu Pass gateways, but the checkpoint of the heart is not one to open its gates as easily.
Who shall be the first to cross her impregnable Ousaka Gateway?1
The Best Stars: B

The darker the night is, the brighter the stars shine.
Pleiades, Altair, Vesper, shooting stars...2
And her light is also like a star.

Noble Phantasm​

Emotional Engine: Full Drive (The Pillow Book: Spring Dawn Commentary)

Rank D++​
Type: Poetic Noble Phantasm​
Range: 1-20​
Max. Targets: 50 people​
A singular mental state achieved not through martial arts or onmyou techniques, but through constant penmanship.
The imagined landscape of her Pillow Book materialized in the real world when the waves of her emotions take over.
In other words, a Reality Marble.
Sei Shounagon rewrites the world into nostalgic sceneries that the opponents engulfed within her boundaries once saw, corroding their hearts.
Sorrow, nostagia, poignancy... If the whirl of powerful emotion throws them into enough disarray to forget their battle even for a moment, they will be unable to avoid the powerful (and unfair) attack of the owner of this domain.
"All that is radiating and heartthrobbing remains eternal long after the flesh withers! It shall endlessly continue to be! Emotional Engine: Full Drive!"
Side note: "The Pillow Book: Spring Dawn Commentary" is the title of an commented edition produced by Kitamura Kigin in the Edo period. Sei Shounagon was delighted to know that her published emotions withstood the test of time and were loved by people of future eras. She took the name "Spring Dawn Edition" as a title that symbolized the connection of past and future, and also elevated that into her Noble Phantasm subtitle as a term that perfectly encapsulates the nature of her Noble Phantasm as commentary on her "In spring, the dawn" verse.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

First-person pronoun: Atashi-chan/Atashi/Uchira

Second-person pronoun: Anta/chan-Mas/nickname

Third-person pronoun: Aitsu/ano kata/nickname

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Personality​

A good-humored girl always finding something to enjoy... until she gets disgruntled when you least expect it.
A rare breed: the party animal Servant. Whimsical as a cat, always spreading mayhem, and prioritizing fun above all else.
A radiating lady far ahead of her time. Someone who loves okashige3 (or in modern terms, the feels) above all else.
She's very different from what one would expect of a renowned poet, presumably as a consequence of her excessive affinity with modern youth culture.
Her taking the form of a high schooler on summon makes sense with the historical facts, as it's known she was very concerned about being too old for job in the Teishi Salon.
It's important to note that while the body she manisfets with as a Servant is on her late teens, her appearance remains young as ever in Hell Mandala for whatever reason.
The Singularity is set in Heian, the fiend-ridden capital where anyone can turn into a specter. Perhaps she also suffered something similar to the strange phenomenon that assailed her brother Munenobu (that's probably not it).

Shounagon is a title, not a name.
The tradition of time was that court ladies would have office names containing the rank of their fathers or husbands in the Department of State, but she didn't have any relative ranked Shounagon.
It's presumed she's called that because Teishi found the idea amusing.
Nagiko might consider the act of nicknaming to be a proof of affection... or maybe not, we don't know.

On an unrelated tangent, she became great friends with Murasaki Shikibu in Chaldea (her own opinion, up for debate).

Attitude toward the Master​

Sei Shounagon believes her role is finished since she completed The Pillow Book.
Her life after that, including her summon, is past her peak.
Still, life is intriguing in its unpredictability.
When she and her Master build a relationship based on trust and friendship, not restrained by the Master-Servant roles, she might one day pick up the pen again and write a new book.

Dialogue examples​

• Let's get this ball rolling, chan-Mas!
  • What I dislike? Hah, the list gets long. But, check out this life hack: if I focus only on what I like, I can't remember any of that. What about you, chan-Mas? Aren't you letting too many dislikes live rent-free in your head?
  • Sei Shounagon's role was over when The Pillow Book ended. You're talking to her dregs right now. I'm only Nagiko. An essayist who loved Empress Teishi.
  • Young people, stay happy! Yesterday's smile can overwrite today's sadness and connect you to a brand new tomorrow! Overwrite the world, Pillow Book! Emotional Engine: Full Drive!
  • Great job, team, we killed Selinuntus.4

Historical figure and character​

A Heian novelist and poet.
She's the daughter of Kiyohara no Motosuke, one of the Five Men of the Pear Chamber responsible for the Chinese-to-Japanese translation work in the Man'youshuu.
She grew familiar with Chinese grammar and poetry, which was considered something only men learned. Many incidents proved she was a woman who broke the female mold of her time, as her vast knowledge allowed her to talk back to men and win the argument.
She's often considered Murasaki Shikibu's rival but there was a 5 year gap between Shounagon leaving and Shikibu entering the imperial court. It's believed the two of them never seen each other.
But the possibility that they crossed paths at least once can't be discarded.
That's because the famed Diary of Lady Murasaki described Sei Shounagon as if Murasaki personally knew her.

In her late 20s, she started working as a lady-in-waiting for Empress Teishi, the consort of Emperor Ichijou.
The young Teishi was very affectionate toward this "Shounagon" a whole 12 years older than her, and her Shounagon, in turn, constantly tried to live up to the beautiful and witty Teishi's expectations.
She wrote down all the humorous and intriguing events of her court life, and compiled them into one prose essay anthology.
That was Japan's first essay book: The Pillow Book

The Pillow Book tells of her happy and extravagant days, but its writting only started when Teishi and her Naka-no-Kanpaku family were suffering their political collapse.
Sei Shounagon's prose was penned with the express purpose of reminding her lady of the glory days. To encourage Teishi when the oppressive circumstances weighted heavy on her heart.
It had no need for memories of their sad and painful pasts, nor worries for their dark and challenging future.
Despite being dedicated to Teishi, this literary work continued after her death, later allowing The Pillow Book to see its completion.
Nowadays this anthology is sometimes dismissed as simply Sei Shounagon's bragging, but in reality, it's a piece brimming with love and admiration for her dear lady Empress Teishi.
The Pillow Book's portrayal of the Teishi Salon of the olden days became a topic of debate among the future generations, making it so that the life of the girl named Fujiwara no Teishi remained vivid in public consciouness to this day.

Sei Shounagon left the court after Empress Teishi's death. The records on her life after this event are fragmentary at best, but there are multiple fictional "Sei myths" created with the intention of humiliating her for being too clever for a woman (for example, the famous factoid about her exposing her crotch to get away from an assassination attemption was first mentioned 200 years after her time in the court).
On the other hand, a prevalent theory is that she made a new home next to the Toribeno Mausoleum, Teishi's resting place, and lived a quiet life in her remaining years.
Whatever the truth is, it's honestly none of our business.

Character in Fate/Grand Order​

She debuted in the 2020 event Not-So-Ordinary Valentines.
Nagiko, as she called herself, was actually an irregular entity summoned as a counter to the Sei Shounagon created by the Holy Grail based on Murasaki Shikibu's imagination.
Logically, she's most qualified for the Caster Class like the rest of the writers, but against everyone's expectations, the imperfect Grail summoned her in the Archer Class.

She is no longer Sei Shounagon, as she offered both that name and The Pillow Book as a tribute to let the lady she served in life, Empress Teishi, rest in peace.
She chose to abandon her wish for revenge, and to never forget her splendid life, always carrying one lone star inside her heart.
This meant another star dying out.
By leaving the court and never making any public appearance again, she died quietly and in peace as just "Nagiko".
She was too human to become a guardian of Human Order.
But this irregular summon was a turning point for Sei Shounagon.
In the days she spent in the Singularity pretending to be the ordinary wanderer Nagiko, the dregs of who she once where, she went through many new experiences and established emotional bonds with trustworthy people. This both broke the seal locking her poet identity and filled her with new potential. That's when she finally joined the Throne of Heroes.
As such, she was summoned.
Even if he/she is yet to experience those bustling days with "Nagiko", Sei Shounagon is eager to see the day she meets him/her again.

Rokujou​

The broken Holy Grail created an imaginary Sei Shounagon built from Murasaki Shikibu's subconsciousness. A misinterpretation given form.
A narcisistic woman with a smug face and self-important attitude, who thinks she's oh so clever despite never getting anything right.
In that micro-Singularity where all present were distorted into The Tale of Genji characters, she named herself after Rokujou no Miyasundokoro and appeared by the end of the story.
She carried a powerful grudge against Murasaki Shikibu, Fujiwara no Shoushi, and Fujiwara no Michinaga, but (the real) Sei Shounagon of all people barged in to purify her, resulting in her complete annihilation.
"Are you freaking kidding me!?"

For reference, Rokujou no Miyasundokoro is a character in Hollyhock, the ninth chapter of The Tale of Genji.
She was a terrifying and pitiful woman, so consumed by envy that she transformed into a living ghost and killed Aoi no Ue by possessing her.

Related characters​

Kaorucchi

A fellow female writer of the Heian period, and a bestie (she thinks).
Evidence suggests their friendship is surprisingly firm despite Nagiko's pushiness.
When it's just the two of them alone, they can discuss the books they recently read like normal people.
Suzuka-paisen

"My senpai in the JK uniform style, and a senpai to the Heian Era as a whole. A paisen beyond any senpai. Her sublime lifestyle slays."
Riko-pin

The one who killed her brother Munenobu. The commander of the Genji.
When she was first summoned, she kept her distance out of fear but... Read more in the interlude.
Kin

"When this feral child was first brought to the big city, I took care of him with all my love and affection, and as result, he saved my life when came home to slay my brother. Remember that?"
Mambo

Why is she trying to take his clothes off?
When questioned, she testified she was trying to check if he had a tail.
Kurohy

"A messy relationship with messy treatment and messy interactions. He probably doesn't see me as a woman, but I'm a still a target for his heal, so it's all good."
Krama Queen

"The perpetually grumpy god of love. When I carry her, she makes that face that looks like she's given up on everything in the universe."
Rica

She feels a need to be nice to him for some reason.
She got 100 times more annoying about it after learning about his rambunctious past.
Child Servants and Emiya

She sometimes leads the children in cafeteria raids.
She's always the first to be captured and punished, so the children are mad at her uselessness.
Fujiwara no Teishi

She doesn't say anything about her former lady.
It won't be easy to convince her to share what's truly precious to her.

Comment from the illustrator​

Sei Shounagon is a design that carries the concepts of "Heian vs future", "the best parts of the past", and "shockingly cute trends". She's a character that really got me thinking about what would the real Sei Shounagon like and choose. If you can see what makes her good, feel free to love her, either deeply or the consumerist way. The Noble Phantasm's face cut-in with the double peace sign and the little tongue sticking out was me intentionally creating the smile capable of defeating everything. (Mika Pikazo)

Kijyo Koyo​

• Class: Berserker
  • True Name: Kureha (呉羽)
  • Origin: Momiji Legend
  • Region: Japan, Shinshu Togakushi
  • Alignment: Neutral-Evil
  • Height/Weight:
    • 234cm, 450kg (First Ascension, height does not include horns)
    • 172cm, 56kg (Second Ascension)
    • 178cm, 69kg (Third Ascension)

Parameters​

• Strength: B
  • Endurance: B
  • Agility: D
  • Magic: B
  • Luck: D
  • NP: C
Scenario Writer: Meteo Hoshizora

Character Designer: NOCO

Voice Actor: Hikasa Yoko

Main Appearances: Fate/Requiem, Fate/Grand Order

Class Skills​

Madness Enhancement: A

This level of madness enhancement has affected her mind and robbed her of speech processes, as well as turning her body into that of a beast's. Despite that, since she can control her berserk emotions, she can maintain a gentle and rational state of being.

In her Kijyo-style court noble appearance, she regains her ability to speak, but there is still a danger of her going easily berserk.

Negates spells with a chant of two verses or less. Cannot defend against something more complex, like high magecraft or ritual curses.

Unique Skills​

Morph (Dinosaur): C
A beautiful noblewoman turned to a terrifying kijyo. As she sought a Madness Enhancement herself, she ended up with the gigantic, grotesque form of a dragon.

Kuzuryu Lightning: A
Prayer, music, and dance offered to the great Kuzuryu, the raging oni and water god. The ability to soothe and control all heavenly creation.

Rope of Life: B
An incantation derived from the protection of the Izuna Gongen, which is said to repel illnesses and grant longevity.

Noble Phantasm​

Momijigari
NP Type: Anti-Personnel
Range: 1 - 10
Maximum Target: 1

Autumn-Leaf Viewing.
Koyo's life full of regrets, betrayal, robbery, and ultimately her own death as an oni at the end...all embodied in flaming, vengeful hatred that assails the target. At the same time, it is a cruel Noble Phantasm that inflicts great pain upon Koyo as she is rooted to the ground in order not to be swept away by her Madness Enhancement.

Character​

First person pronouns: Goou/Midomo

Second Person: Gurrr.../Sonata

Third Person: Gaaho/Are/Aira

Personality

She shows a deep compassion towards the weak, hurt, or oppressed. Once she finds someone she deems a companion, she gains a deep sense of responsibility for them, and will defend them from their foes with all her might.

She will never, ever, allow the young to be struck.

Feelings towards Master

As she regards them as both childlike and adult, she is a bit perplexed on how she should address them.

Phrases

"Grrrh, ghroh...?" "Goruh, gowar, grrrrrr!" "Gruf." "Gryuuu..."

"My name is Koyo from Shinano Togakushi. I am the oni of lightning who paints the mountain paths crimson. I will be under your care as always.”

"I thank you for your attention." ”Do not think you can touch me so intimately..." "Truly amusing..."

”Om chirachiraya sowaka." "Om Avira hum kham sowaka!" "May my enemies be annihilated!" "Be wary of the wind's direction..."

”The drizzling rain hastens the maple leaf viewing. The loneliness of a quiet autumn evening. The ease of the surrounding treetops. The ferocity of a midnight storm. May the dream never end. May you never wake from your dream..."

”Don't you see that I am an oni? There may be many things I hate in this world, but the sword known as Bokomaru is among those things I despise most."

"Do not betray me. That's all I ask. That is all..."

Further Info/Character​

Kijyo Koyo's life:
Her childhood name was Kureha, and she changed her name to Koyo (or Momiji) when she entered the capital. She was beautiful and clever, as well as spellbinding to everyone around her, even winning the favor of the legal wife of Minamoto-no-Tsunemoto with her talent for playing the koto. Koyo eventually gained the affection of Tsunemoto as well, but she was later accused of trying to kill his wife. For this, she was sentenced to execution. However, she was already pregnant with Tsunemoto's child, and so she was banished to Shinano province of Japan. Koyo was welcomed by the villagers in the village of Minase (later called Kinasa), but she was later feared as a "kijyo" who led a group of bandits.

The general Taira-no-Koremori was ordered to kill Koyo, but he had difficulty when he finally encountered her. Koremori then prayed to the gods for aid, and was given a spiritual sword to repel evil. He then disguised himself as a travelling monk, and managed to kill Koyo after confronting her alone.

Koyo was said to be born after her parents prayed to the Demon King of the Sixth Heaven for a child, and so she possessed many abilities in mystic arts from a young age. Mt. Tokakushi in Shinano province where Koyo was banished to was a sacred mountain blessed by the nine-headed dragon deity Kuzuryushin, and was opened up for pilgrimages. Additionally, the neighboring Mt. Iizuna was a land with deep belief in tengu and was known to be a land full of mystic arts and outlaws.

Koyo thrived in such an environment, and she eventually took in many members from the army of Taira-no-Masakado who held grudges against the imperial court. She also took another kijyo named Oman of Oni, who was known for her strength and stamina, under her wing.

Character in F/GO​

Her odd appearance as a dinosaur is caused indirectly by the Kuzuryuu faith and its relation to Mount Togakushi where dragon bones (fossils) were found. In Chaldea and around her Master, she is almost always in Dino-form and she avoids being in her Kijyo form as much as possible. Others can call her Koyo, but being called Momiji tends to hurt her feelings a bit. The wounds on her dino-form's face cannot be hidden or changed with magic, for they are reminders of her fatal battle with Taira-no-Koremori.

Weapons​

With her huge body, she unleashes Dynamic Tyrannoaction.

Character Relationships​

Shuten Douji/Ibaraki Douji/Watanabe no Tsuna

I have heard much of the name Shuten Douji of Mt. Ooe causing revelry in the capital. The capital...such a bitter feeling. That place is now my past. Incidentally, is their retainer, Ibaraki Douji, the one Kijyo know as "Hashihime"? Or is that another person, or rather, oni? How many arms has Watanabe no Tsuna cut down? Is he a collector of such? Ogh, perish the thought...

Tawara Touta

Is that the man who is said to have defeated that Masakado! Gruorrr...even in my human form, I acted out a bit...Taira-no-Masakado is not so pitiful...They would surely be able to evade through an enemy who would only utilize bags of rice as a weapon.

Utusmi Erice

While memories of them I possess not, Erice claims of one I should know well. Indeed, it is an impossibility. I simply must meet this "Karin" that she speaks of!

Voyager

What a beautiful boy. With such soft, gently draped garments, he is like a child that was sent by the gods or the Buddha. Perhaps I should wash him in the bath. Then, scrub that head of his. And brush his teeth as well. Yes. I shall!

Yang Guifei

She has quite a peaceful talent. The sounds of her biwa alone are enough to quell me.

Comment from the Illustrator (NOCO)​

When I drew Koyo, I had figures, books, and a dino-loving guy to reference her upper half. Nailing the standing pose for her first Ascension took a lot out of me. It was tough...I fixated on her ascensions, kimono pattern, and general feel a bunch, but ultimately I'm very happy with what I made.

Back