• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.
My quick translations for Sakura:

ドラッグにより強化された術は、一度目に見たときに比べ、速さも破壊力も数段増しているのがわかった。= She observed that the jutsu strengthened by the drug was several levels more destructive and fast as it was previously.

and for Kido:

「―あまり洗練された姿とは言えんが、ケタ違いに強くなったことだけはわかるだろう?」= I can't say it's a very refined form, but you'll see it is an order/orders of magnitude more potent, right?

Now it's a little more complicated than just this tho. Since the word that translates to "an order of magnitude" is keta chigai, but the thing is plurality isn't something really baked into the Japanese language, like there's no "s" that you put on the end of words to make them plural, it's kind of context dependent, you wouldn't say "keta chigais" for orders, it's keta chigai for both an order and orders of magnitude. So, it isn't incorrect to translate it as "orders of magnitude" and then with the context of "several steps" interpreting it as several orders of magnitude, as we know that a step/level here is an order of magnitude from prior context. All of this is to say that VIZ's translation of "several orders of magnitude" isn't inherently incorrect, and normally if we just had the raws I'd say stay conservative and treat it as 1 order, but since the official english translates it to several, and that's not an incorrect way to translate it, Test's thread's conclusion is fine.

That's what I was worried about 😔

This is where Kido first went V2 and boasted about his strength which is what Test used
Now it's a little more complicated than just this tho. Since the word that translates to "an order of magnitude" is keta chigai, but the thing is plurality isn't something really baked into the Japanese language, like there's no "s" that you put on the end of words to make them plural, it's kind of context dependent, you wouldn't say "keta chigais" for orders, it's keta chigai for both an order and orders of magnitude. So, it isn't incorrect to translate it as "orders of magnitude" and then with the context of "several steps" interpreting it as several orders of magnitude, as we know that a step/level here is an order of magnitude from prior context. All of this is to say that VIZ's translation of "several orders of magnitude" isn't inherently incorrect, and normally if we just had the raws I'd say stay conservative and treat it as 1 order, but since the official english translates it to several, and that's not an incorrect way to translate it, Test's thread's conclusion is fine.

My quick translations for Sakura:

ドラッグにより強化された術は、一度目に見たときに比べ、速さも破壊力も数段増しているのがわかった。= She observed that the jutsu strengthened by the drug was several levels more destructive and fast as it was previously.

and for Kido:

「―あまり洗練された姿とは言えんが、ケタ違いに強くなったことだけはわかるだろう?」= I can't say it's a very refined form, but you'll see it is an order/orders of magnitude more potent, right?

That seems like a slight leap to say that the levels are referring to the orders of magnitude mentioned at an earlier time but tbh I'd rather not make a downgrade CRT based on language nuances so I'm just gonna leave it, if someone else feels strongly about it they can make a thread about the subject 🤷‍♂️

Back