• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Mario Discussion Thread Part 3

Yeah, I thought about how broken Superguard would be but I didn't know if it blocked like, everything. And I was going to research what it could do but then I got sidetracked and forgot

If I recall it can also guard against draining moves like Fuzzies and the Vamp Swoops.

Basically every goddamn effect in the game can be negated and any physical move or even non-physical can be reflected or negated. The moves that can't be guarded against are few. Doesn't help that Mario at his best would have access to every badge with the Simplifier making it easier to induce IIRC

I can't believe TTYD Mario is so full of broken hax. The Crystal Stars and their abilities, his badges and items, and now this.

Tbh I only see the player struggling to use it as something we shouldn't factor in. I guess i should look through every enemy attack in the game to what he can Superguard with.

Too bad I can't make any blogs, I was planning on making one so I can add some new abilities for Mario and potentially the other cast. My friend who isn't active here is also doing his own research. If he's ever done, I shall steal his scans.

Sounds good lol

As for non-RPG stuff, what do we think about the Comet's abilities and range and the Power Stars potentially scaling from them? Comets appear only when certain conditions are met and they come and provide a Power Star, and once that Power Star is collected the Comets are forever gone and their effects are negated unless you pick that mission again. Plus, as seen with the Green Comet, they can actively produce Power Stars. Even if they don't get their abilities, being able to negate the effects a Comet has over the galaxies when collected should be enough to have the Power Stars grant a resistance to those abilities, and Mario can adapt and function despite these things effecting time as well as depowering him and tipping the odds in the boss's favors, and he was in base in Galaxy 1 IIRC. The time thing is even consistent with him moving in slowed time that effects the entire area but him IIRC.

Koopalings? World map creator!? This might be the best mario maker update we'll ever get.

Pretty sure it's implied Bowser was responsible for the storm in the beginning of 3D Land and he's always fought in a purple/black storm even despite the land being peaceful prior to fighting him, and defeating him in those games usually has the storn or darkness clear so weather manipulation isn't that obscure. Hell, if I remember right his electricty manip in Galaxy also summoned dark clouds as well as the UFO.

Possible regen upgrade for Bowser?

here we see Bowser get defeated, seemingly exploding and poofing like Mario bosses tend to do but then, here we see Bowser is like a disembodied spirit/conciousness thing that flies away. New Island is a sequel to the orignal Yoshi's Island, and is the second game chronologically, so Bowser appearing in Yoshi's Island DS and really any other Mario game after this shows he can regenerate from that state. Of course, it doesn't seem combat-applicable, but still.

Non-applicable because if I remember regen feats have to happen within a certain timeframe to apply to a fight.

And it was changed? What do you mean?

Also, according to Japanese translations, the Grand Stars were stated as being able to use their power to transcend time and space.

Screenshot 2020-04-19-09-40-07-1
"With the power of the Grand Star, you can transcend time and space. With this, you'll be able to go to distant galaxies."

Screenshot 2020-04-19-09-47-54-1
"With the power of the Grand Star, you can transcend time and space."

The New Island might imply low-godly though.
How???

Bowser became that floating thing that flies off in the end. It's clearly still sentient as it could control it's speed and trajectory and it happens after his body poofs, meaning it's likely a disembodied conciousness of sorts.

I still think extra lives are canon. Game Overs are referenced far too much among other things, there is that text from Whomp King that changes if you fight him again after dying to him, 1-Ups are canonical, and Super Mario-Ku among other things like Mario Maker (100 Mario Challenge) and Smash seem to imply the extra Mario's are clones. This is even supported by one of the DS minigames that shows three Mario's who all represent a life each, the 64 delete option causing a Mario to scream as his save file is deleted, and a quote from Galaxy showing that save files are interconnected and that each version of Mario and Luigi can share lives. We also have multiple statements via the Underwhere that multiple people have lost all of their lives and gotten Game Overs. There's also this from Yoshi's Island: Super Mario Advance 3.

Similarly, I believe the Player has enough acknowledgment to actually be an entity in Mario, and as such, the Player can also be another source of Fate Manip for Mario and may even be what's she's referring to in Galaxy 2's Gentle Pull speech as she specifically turns to the camera and opens her eyes, talking about how "it wasn't a mere whim of the stars" that brought them all together before thanking Mario. Of course it's only some food for thought, but it'd make a lot of sense as we defy the laws of their universe, even transcending it, and we are directly in control pulling the strings that leads them together.

There's also this list that shows every 4th Wall Break and what they entailed. But the most important one is Garson's from SPM, where he directly acknowledges the player's existence. You can also find more references to the player in that same section, but the entire article is worth reading.

I honestly don't think extra lives are canon, in fact I doubt anything that isn't Excitebike: Mario Battle Stadium is canon.

Back