• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

The Super Mario Bros Movie Revised (Potential Buffs and Upgrades) (ACCEPTED)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Omnificence

Joe, Joey, Jojo, Joseph
He/Him

Brief Summary​

Nearly a year after the Super Mario Bros movie by Illumination was released and calculations were made by Dalesean for the profiles, I decided to make a follow-up to his blogs and calculate a couple more feats from the movie. So, for this thread, I'll be proposing a new tier for the Super Star and an upgrade in Lifting Strength for characters as well as certain powers and abilities.

Calculations

Attack Potency

For the first calculation, I decided to find out how powerful the Bomber Bill would be IF it had hit the Mushroom Kingdom. By using the measurements of the Bomber Bill from the first blog in one of the scenes, I was able to find the height of Peach's Castle and pixel-scale the entire area of the Mushroom Kingdom in another. This gave me a potential output of 59.35582262483447 Kilotons of TNT, placing the Bomber Bill at Town level. Since we scale the Super Star to the Bomber Bill in the movile, I believe Base Bowser and the Mario Bros with the Super Star should have "possibly Town level" statistics.

Lifting Strength

For the next calculation, I wanted to find out how much force Donkey Kong would need in order to save all the prisoners in the cage from the lava. I used the chart from the first blog to get Luigi's height and weight and then used the heights and weights of the average penguins and gorillas. After pixel-scaling all the caged, multiplying their volume by the density of iron, and combining everything together, I got an estimated weight of 2.255663 kilotons, giving Donkey Kong Class M lifting strength.

Powers and Abilities

Now that we have the two calculations out of the way, let's move on to the additional powers and abilities I think the characters should have.

Invulnerability

A pretty simple power I believe the Mario Bros should obviously have is Invulnerability with the Super Star. When they were fighting Bowser with it, none of Bowser's attacks even managed to leave a scratch on the Super Star-amped Mario Bros, and anybody who's played any particular Super Mario Bros games would notice that once you obtain a Super Star, you're temporarily invincible. Because of that, Invulnerability seems reasonable and logical enough to give both the Super Star-amped Mario Bros and the Super Star alone.

Healing

Another simple power I think Mario should have is Healing with the Super Star. In Mario's fight with Bowser, we see some noticeable bruises and injuries Bowser left on Mario, but once Mario grabs the Super Star, they seemingly disappear. To me, this would imply that the Super Star might have some healing properties in it whenever someone absorbs its power. Because of this, I think the Super Star and all those amped by it should be granted a limited form of Healing.

Agree: @Lou_change, @DarkDragonMedeus, @CloverDragon03, @Dalesean027, @Propellus, @Maverick_Zero_X,
Disagree:
Neutral:

Last edited:
Since when did we have "official standards" on this?
I have done this like 50 times now but:
powers may simply be unaffected by normal attacks, necessitating the use of things like Durability Negation to get through. Others have more conditional invulnerability, such as one that just prevents harm from conventional weaponry, but can be easily circumvented by supernatural abilities. It can be considered the defensive equivalent of Durability Negation, negating simple Attack Potency, though one should be careful not to apply No Limits Fallacy.

This is distinct from simply particularly high durability, which may make a character seem invulnerable to weaker opponents. Only characters whose invulnerability is clearly more than simply being exceptionally durable for the verse's setting qualify.

Invulnerability, is not to be mixed up with raw durability. And "Taking no damage" is not evidence of Invulnerability. Also Clover, you're kind of asking us to prove a negative; the burden of proof is that there needs to be lore based details about passively nulling all traditional attack damage. And simply tanking every attack would just be a durability upscale; it's a reason Saitama isn't given invulnerability for example.

Invulnerability, is not to be mixed up with raw durability. And "Taking no damage" is not evidence of Invulnerability. Also Clover, you're kind of asking us to prove a negative; the burden of proof is that there needs to be lore based details about passively nulling all traditional attack damage. And simply tanking every attack would just be a durability upscale; it's a reason Saitama isn't given invulnerability for example.
We could play burden of proof hot potato all day, really. The games themselves have in-universe statements of Mario becoming invincible when he has the Super Star (such as in Super Mario Galaxy, for instance).

But, I don't care as much anymore because of one reason: Game Mario doesn't even have Invulnerability on his profile via the Super Star to begin with, so the OP saying that he should have it much like his game self doesn't even hold up.

I have done this like 50 times now but:
powers may simply be unaffected by normal attacks, necessitating the use of things like Durability Negation to get through. Others have more conditional invulnerability, such as one that just prevents harm from conventional weaponry, but can be easily circumvented by supernatural abilities. It can be considered the defensive equivalent of Durability Negation, negating simple Attack Potency, though one should be careful not to apply No Limits Fallacy.

This is distinct from simply particularly high durability, which may make a character seem invulnerable to weaker opponents. Only characters whose invulnerability is clearly more than simply being exceptionally durable for the verse's setting qualify.
For reference, though, just quoting this doesn't help. I know what our Invulnerability page looks like, but when you said "official standards," I was expecting something more like a list of qualifying and disqualifying factors (like our standards on using speed statements in calcs, for instance)

Though as an addendum, I'd like to add that disqualifying factors in this case would include Mario's susceptibility to pits, lava, poison, etc. even with a Super Star

It just needs a stated mechanism if it is just he is said to invincible invincibility that's still iffy it needs mechanism just like durability negation is the result of some other ability or some weird set damage video game thing we don't have any other equivalents for

Meh, Invulnerability standards are somewhat weird at times. Still, I don't think Mario would qualify given what I said before (dude still gets clapped by pits, lava, poison, all that)

The lava anti-feats are things that happens "In-lore", while Mario (With a Super Star) dying to lava ins´t
Not really, no...

Also, Mario never even got Invulnerability with the Super Star on his game profile. Simple statements of "invincibility" don't seem to cut it

All this seems fine, I'm neutral, leaning towards agree on the invulnerability but besides that since the Bomber Bill scaling will only be possibly, it has my approval.

Okay, so we now have 6 agrees with one being from a Content Moderator, another being from a Thread Moderator, and another from an Administrator. Do we have enough votes or do we need more?

You do, content mod votes don’t count but 2 is enough. Also I’m an FC/OC wiki mod, but don’t let that stop you since you have enough anyways

Okay, cool. Can the changes be applied or should we wait?
Yeah, thread and admin votes count towards the 2 needed to pass a relatively non controversial CRT, although I can’t remember where the 48 hour grace period after a thread has been made originally applies.

Yeah, thread and admin votes count towards the 2 needed to pass a relatively non controversial CRT, although I can’t remember where the 48 hour grace period after a thread has been made originally applies.
I guess we'll have to wait for 48 hours, then?

Now that we have 3 staff votes, we should be able to apply the changes and close this thread, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back