• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Hazbin Hotel Discussion Thread

"Warped Vaggie's perception of reality around him"

Btw is this a pronoun error, or is the line supposed to mean things around Alastor were warped from Vaggie's perspective?

Hello boys, I'm here to ruin Weekly's fu

This show surprised me. I thought it was some sort of Disney's response to CN's Villanous, but at the first minute it corrected me.

It's really hilarious and the premise is really Disney-ish yet fresh.

Andytrenom said:
"Warped Vaggie's perception of reality around him"

Btw is this a pronoun error, or is the line supposed to mean things around Alastor were warped from Vaggie's perspective?
From vaggie's perspective reality was warped when to anyone else it was not

So I finally watched the pilot and...

wow, that was actually ******* awful.

The songs were terrible, the character designs are just bootleg Villainous designs, the comedy is just "lol sex/drug/swear jokes are we relevant GUYYSSSSS" (they had an airhorn in there like it was 2013), the plot has no cohesion whatsoever, and Angel Dust is legitimately one of the worst characters I've ever seen.

Not to mention the audacity of making a spin-off for a PILOT.

This isn't even related to the controversy around Viv, it was just a terrible pilot.

@Creature In the scene where Angel asks if Sir Pentious' hat was the top and he was the bottom lol

Look, that's all I wanted to say.

I'm not gonna begrudge people who like it, it just really rubbed me the wrong way.

All I can hope for is they improve with the next episode.

I have no issue with JJ disliking Hazbin as everyone is entitled to their opinions as Weekly said but one thing about what you said that I take some issue with,

"Not to mention the audacity of making a spin-off for a PILOT."

My main issue with this is that it makes it seem like the Hazbin creators had no real supporters or people who liked it when obviously with the sheer Views and Likes the Pilot has as well as how popular the Hazbin streams are it shows that they obviously have good, even great footing.

Also its not as simple as just a spin off to a pilot, it is its own series with its own cast and plot that just happens to take place in the same verse.

Anyway thats all I took issue with and am not like mad about it just wanted to voice my thoughts having read it.

I'm gonna be honest: I get a feeling of old nick cartoons mixed with Aqua Team: Hunger Force vibes from Hazbin. A mix of more juvenile and adult humor at the same time, and some things that are made to just be cringe(Sir Pentious over the top existence), not in a bad way. The songs (except Alastor's one) are a bit below average imo.

Okay let me clarify.

I dislike the fact they're making a spin-off because most of the characters aren't really that developed outside of one-note gags, and I personally would prefer a bit more time for the characters to settle in before thinking about spin-offs.

I get they're going for an expanded universe but it feels weird to just make a pilot, end it on a cliffhanger, and then make a mostly unrelated spin-off. It feels disjointed.

Damn Hazbin Hotel's pilot hit 1 million likes

JJSliderman said:
Okay let me clarify.
I dislike the fact they're making a spin-off because most of the characters aren't really that developed outside of one-note gags, and I personally would prefer a bit more time for the characters to settle in before thinking about spin-offs.

I get they're going for an expanded universe but it feels weird to just make a pilot, end it on a cliffhanger, and then make a mostly unrelated spin-off. It feels disjointed.
Yeah, that pissed me off. Honestly made me lose interest in Viv's work. How do you spend so much time promoting and hyping and asking for money from fans of your Idea only to do a pilot with no set schedule or plan or release? Like wtf? Don't tell me she blew all the funds on a pilot....

Then, if that wasn't enough, she begins working on a separate unrelated show, no longer dedicating much needed time and effort into the first show (Correction, "Idea". Hard pressed to call HH a "show" or "series" at this point)?

This is how start ups and small projects die. If she's so unprepared or uninterested in focusing on building out the worlds or characters she creates then **** it, i'm out. I'm not gonna invest my time trying to invest in her work. Like, I was so excited as someone who is working hard to get my ideas and creativity out to the world like Viv has but to see her squander such a lucky opportunity offended me greatly....

Edit: And I'm going to keep it real, I could understand if she tried this after giving us maybe 6-7 consecutive episodes of HH, even 3 episodes depending if it's a small story she's trying to tell, but this to me shows that she has more interest in this new Series as she's shelved HH fir the time being. Just like Woodie/Buzz in TS1.

TBH I thought Hazbin Hotel was far from a masterpiece, however it was really enjoyable. The characters while a bit one note (though to be fair there's only so much characterization a pilot can accomplish) are likeable and animation was just wonderful. The musical numbers were also on point. I especially have to admire/support the immense hard work and talent that had to have gone into an independent project like this.

If I had to give one main criticism, I think the show's humor uses swearing as a crutch. I get this is Hell and these are awful people, but I thought it was a bit excessive. And this is coming from someone who really likes crass and vulgar comedy.

I don't like the humor, if only because they repeat the same types of jokes over, and over, and over again.

Also they put in an airhorn unironically and that just kinda confuses me.

So i finally watch the pilot and i can say........mmmmh...how i need to start? Oh yeah....alright here we go......

Oh my god that one of helluva goodness of indie cartoon! Watch it fully and i have a blast, this remind me of the old style cartoons which make me happy with that. Song are surprisingly good if i'm be honest, my fave one are when Charlie sing in the beginning of show and Alastor one (if Sir Pentious not interrupt it that would be a masterpiece)

Voice acting is really godlike too, i usually have a neutral to small positive for english VA since i grow up with Indonesia dub and Seiyu (Japanese VA) with some of exception like Vergil VA Daniel Southwoth (is the name correct? Lel), Mr. Crab and Plantkon VA, but this? When i heard their voice first time i be like "wow, is this real?!" and soon i start really like it a lot, especially Alastor voice

Speaking of Alastor he's the best character so far in this series (Sorry Angel), like he's an lovely bastard arch-type character and who can resist that smile!?

And now the comedy/joke, i know some of peoples find it not good or else but to me it work really well, everytime they deliver the jokes i dig it and make me laugh

Yeah, that all i want to say, keep the good work well Viv and co.! But be careful due of COPPA, alright?

Here's some questions I have with the series.

How does a demon even go about getting "redeemed"?

And what is the benefit to being redeemed? Do good demons get exempt from the Thanosing? Do good demons get to go back to Heaven?

How would going back to Heaven work then? Is there some building where they can apply to be sent to Heaven. Is God or some angel watching over Hell, spots a good demon and then brings them to Heaven?

What is the standard for being "redeemed"? That seems about as vague and arbitrarily subjective as Mjolnir's worthiness. How would Charlie know that a demon is redeemed?

The reactions of Alastor and other demons obviously imply that no demon has been "redeemed" before. So why on earth does Charlie think this would work? How does she know that God or whoever is in charge up in Heaven would even humor the idea of bringing a former demon up there?

Hopefully the series will elaborate on this stuff more over time.

Wanting to accomplish something no one has before is one of the most prevalent conflicts you can center a story around, personally I wouldn't need much more explanation than the fact that she's an optimistic protagonist in a non-grounded show (of course, if there are deeper reasons they are definitely welcome)

WeeklyBattles said:
The benefit of being redeemed is going to heaven yes
What's the precedence for a redeemed demon going to Heaven if it's never been done though? Did God or someone tell Charlie that it's hypothetically possible but hasn't been accomplished yet? Where did she even get this idea from?

What's the precedence for a redeemed demon going to Heaven if it's never been done though? Did God or someone tell Charlie that it's hypothetically possible but hasn't been accomplished yet? Where did she even get this idea from?

"Find out next time on Hazbin Hotel Z"

Back