• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Harry Potter (Verse) Protego Totalum Upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spinosaurus75DinosaurFan

VS Battles
Calculation Group
Protego Totalum can only be penetrated by the three Unforgivable Curses, therefore its durability is listed as Large Building level.

However, Voldemort destroying the Hogwarts protection is City Block level, and that theoretically can't get through Protego Totalum too.

You mean Protego Maxima? Protego Totalum is the spell that Hermione used to make them invisible in the forest againts Death Eaters.

However, if it is Protego Maxima, then my upgrade is invalid, because Voldemort is City Block level for destroying that shield (alongside with other protections).

The Hogwarts protection spell that Voldemort destroyed was Protego Maxima. Protego Totalum is another spell that many wizards used in the final battle of Hogwarts. In Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2, Protego Totalum is shown several times to be able to block the Killing Curse. Harry blocks multiple Killing Curses from Voldemort during their final duel and Bellatrix Lestrange blocks four Killing Curses while duelling Molly Weasley.

Yes, it was Protego Maxima. Protego Totalum was used by Harry and Hermione to protect their camp. However, I don't recall when it was said that it can only be penetrated by the Unforgivable Curses. We should preferably change it to simply "higher".

It can't be penetrated by the curses.

"In Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2, Protego Totalum is shown several times to be able to block the Killing Curse. Harry blocks multiple Killing Curses from Voldemort during their final duel and Bellatrix Lestrange blocks four Killing Curses while duelling Molly Weasley."

Voldemort's Killing Curses can be blocked is only because of the two-fold connection between Harry and him. However, that Bellatrix feat seems interesting. Do you have a link to the feat?

I checked. It is invalid. According to the books this is incorrect as the Killing Curse is "unblockable" which is the main reason for its particular infamy, but within the context of the films the fact is never mentioned. As the Killing Curse would instantly end any duel if it were unblockable, this might just be done for dramatic effect and for longer duels.

As I explained, the books stated that it is "unblockable". That might (and highly likely) just be done for dramatic effect and longer duels. Books are more canon than films. When something in a film contradicts the book, I don't think we can use it.

Spinosaurus75DinosaurFan said:
Hmmn... Harry and Hermione's profiles state that as "Protego Totalum". Dunno why.
Does this need to be adjusted?

As I said, we should change "Large Building level" to simply "higher", and "Protego totalum" to "more powerful spells".

Can you summarise what needs to be changed here?

Okay. I suppose that should probably be fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back