• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Garou Revision

Page looks fine, agree for a likely rating for 5-B Saitama, lil iffy on a solid rating being applied though.

Seeing how things are going I am pretty sure Saitama will get a solid 5-B or above feat by the end of this arc

It is you who is wasting time. What I and others have stated is what is shown to you in the manga. And I have already provided evidence in the scans above.

It is on you to prove that he would've busted the mountain and caused the feat without pushing Garou into the Earth, not me to prove the opposite.
That isn't what's shown at all. We see the impact of his "Extreme Power Attack", which, btw, continues fo at least on more panel compared to what you have linked. We see him hit the mountain. We see him dent the mountain inwards, which is rather blatantly still part of the attack, as most of the attacks name is on that panel. Then we see how the mountain crumbles from that. Then we see how all of that looks in a cross section and the shockwaves from the impact. Only way later we cut back to Garou pushing, with no evidence of this causing the shockwaves or even digging much further into the ground. Your claim that the feat somehow ends at the initial imapct is complete headcanon based on absolutely nothing, so no, I am not the one that needs to bring evidence.

Stop smashing Occam's razor over your knee. Assuming he lost all KE the moment he hit the mountain is silly. Assuming the pushing casued the shockwaves rather than the impact is even more absurd. Especially since that implies His initial impact <<<< Continuing to push, which is ridiculous. Not to mention, even if he did lose all KE, like I said before, continuing to move is easier than starting to move. You haven't addressed that point at all. Actually, you haven't addressed any of my points. You basically just keep saying no.

And I have already provided evidence in the scans above.
Also, just to make this clear. Linking a scan and saying "this is what happened" is not evidence when what is happening in that scan is the very thing that is being disputed.

Agree with the AP section, but how is that a LS feat??
Cause shockwaves that caused a bulge is not a LS feat. And also the attack is an AP feat

Alright, let's start with this from the top.

There are several ways to actually get a time frame. The first one is via the sound waves. Yes, soundwaves, not shockwaves (I'll call them that anyways tho). The behavior shown simply isn't that of a shockwave. Even if it initially was, it would just disappear after a few kilometers.

NOVJ6w0.jpg

I used the shockwaves in the air, which would move at the speed of sound in air, to determine how much faster the ones going through the ground are.
This image also shows us that the place the plane is at is just about to be hit, as the shockwaves haven't quite reached yet. The nice little speech bubble tail not only shows us where the plane is located, but also that this is supposed to happen at that moment in time.

vntjtGR.jpg

We have this entire scene happen before they even notice that something is happening, meaning that the time it took for the shockwave to hit and move the tectonic plate was at least several seconds. I actually forgot to measure the gap in the first scan and am quite frankly too lazy to redo it, so just take my word for it being 15px or 523,643.83m. Assuming that this entire scene took 10 seconds, then it took those shockwaves 243.3s or roughly 4min. For a distance of 754698.58m (which is assumed in the calc), this would be 350,65s or roughly 6min. This is by the way by far the lowest value I managed to get in terms of time. Everything else is way worse.

ZZiImX7.jpg

Here I measured the height it rose above the water and the minimum time it must have taken to realize what is happening and scream. At this speed it would have taken hours for it to lift to the currently calculated height.

4QsMRzp.jpg

Here I calculated the time it would have taken for the actual lifting to happen based on the shockwaves speed I calculated in the first scan, which would be roughly 15min. This is also where most people misunderstood my previous point. The 12 hours (which were the very worst case scenario) were based on the time for it to travel through the planet. Not for the actual feat to happen. I never actually advocated for using 12 hours, lol.

BXOZKic.jpg

This one is actually quite a bit worse and requires 0 amounts of assumptions, as we get both a visual with nice little arrows and an explanation. What Garou moved was specifically the oceanic plate. Nothing else. He also pushed it out from the side rather than literally denting the earth. Similar to how a piece of paper bulges when you hold it down on one end and push on the other. This also means (and it is clearly shown) that it isn't actually circular, but more so elliptical. I did a rough calculation based on the image given and the difference in weight that was actually moved is in the hundreds.

Now to quickly debunk some debunks before I have to tackle them all separately.

1. Garou wouldn't have pushed him for that long. This goes against chronology.
A: No matter what time you pick it is absurd to think Saitama actually waited for any amount of events to transpire. Depicting two events that were happening at different locations but at the same time is nigh impossible in a manga unless you actually draw two separate columns, one for each event. This however would make for an awful read. Now I know this will be hard for a lot of you, but just for a second assume I was right and it did take this long. How do you think that would have panelled? Do you actually think the feat would have been cut in half, with the second half only being shown several chapters later because "that's what chronologically happened"? Of course not. While you typically panel in a chronological way, there is no rule forcing any mangaka to do so. Think of it like this. We see Blast teleport away to fix the dimensional seal halfway through the manga. If we get to see him appear in the next chapter, is anyone actually going to claim it took that long for him to teleport? I highly doubt that. Another example of chronology is when Blast first teleports Saitama and Flashy Flash. We go through tons of events before we actually see them again. Doesn't mean that that is the actual chronology of things.

2. Blast should have noticed.
A: He is a character with basically no feats or statements. What we know of him is that he noticed that earth has a messed up gravitational and magnetic fields and that space started to distort. These are all side effects of the feat. We don't know how sensitive he is towards these things, so chances are he really only just noticed towards the end. If you want to claim otherwise, bring evidence.

Suggestion on Garou's Key Naming Scheme:

Naming all of Garou's Post-Sage Centipede Self "Perfected Fist Garou" is bad, because Garou's Perfected Fist" is something he attains while he is still lean and human-looking. The more monstrous he becomes over the following chapters the more wild and brute his attacks become. So It should still be Post-Sage Centipede, and not "Perfected Fist" for the whole thing.

However, we can't also call it Monster Garou since Garou definitively becomes a Monster by the time he breaks into the surface, since there's an entire chapter where he has his epiphany and accepts his Monster Self before emerging. So here is my simple solution:

• Garou's Post-Darkshine Self should have Two Pictures, one of which is Garou with the Spirals in his body, which should be named Limiter Breaking since that is what happens to his body right as that starts to happen, and Garou gets to power-boost to stomp Darkshine whereas previously he was struggling against a brick wall.
  • The second picture in Garou's Post-Darkshine Self should be Monster Garou and that would be the Current Picture. Self explanatory.
  • Now for Garou's Post-Sage Centipede Key, we would have the same four pictures that we have, only we need to change their naming scheme. Calling the first picture Garou's "First Form" is objectively wrong, as that is just the same Garou as before, only evolved and with his martial arts being perfected. Instead, we should call the first picture Perfected Fist because that's his defining characteristic
  • This means that what we are calling Garou's "Second Form" should instead be called Complete Monster, as once that happens Garou starts gloating about finally becoming the monster he always wanted to be and using his newfound strength to plunge the world into darkness and defeat Saitama.
  • Finally, the current "Third" and "Fourth Form" Just get renamed to Second Form and Third Form since they are merely quick evolutions of Garou's Complete Monster Self.
To demonstrate my proposal, I made this mockup:

Key names look good. I also like both of your cleaned images, they look great

Any arguments against class Y Lifting Strength you mean? It seems straightforward to me, Garou's lifting up the other side of the planet with a weird overhead press (guess the technique is a little different for people with 4 arms).

There are several ways to actually get a time frame. The first one is via the sound waves. Yes, soundwaves, not shockwaves (I'll call them that anyways tho). The behavior shown simply isn't that of a shockwave. Even if it initially was, it would just disappear after a few kilometers.

NOVJ6w0.jpg

I used the shockwaves in the air, which would move at the speed of sound in air, to determine how much faster the ones going through the ground are.
This image also shows us that the place the plane is at is just about to be hit, as the shockwaves haven't quite reached yet. The nice little speech bubble tail not only shows us where the plane is located, but also that this is supposed to happen at that moment in time.

vntjtGR.jpg

We have this entire scene happen before they even notice that something is happening, meaning that the time it took for the shockwave to hit and move the tectonic plate was at least several seconds. I actually forgot to measure the gap in the first scan and am quite frankly too lazy to redo it, so just take my word for it being 15px or 523,643.83m. Assuming that this entire scene took 10 seconds, then it took those shockwaves 243.3s or roughly 4min. For a distance of 754698.58m (which is assumed in the calc), this would be 350,65s or roughly 6min. This is by the way by far the lowest value I managed to get in terms of time. Everything else is way worse.

ZZiImX7.jpg

Here I measured the height it rose above the water and the minimum time it must have taken to realize what is happening and scream. At this speed it would have taken hours for it to lift to the currently calculated height.

4QsMRzp.jpg

Here I calculated the time it would have taken for the actual lifting to happen based on the shockwaves speed I calculated in the first scan, which would be roughly 15min. This is also where most people misunderstood my previous point. The 12 hours (which were the very worst case scenario) were based on the time for it to travel through the planet. Not for the actual feat to happen. I never actually advocated for using 12 hours, lol.

BXOZKic.jpg

This one is actually quite a bit worse and requires 0 amounts of assumptions, as we get both a visual with nice little arrows and an explanation. What Garou moved was specifically the oceanic plate. Nothing else. He also pushed it out from the side rather than literally denting the earth. Similar to how a piece of paper bulges when you hold it down on one end and push on the other. This also means (and it is clearly shown) that it isn't actually circular, but more so elliptical. I did a rough calculation based on the image given and the difference in weight that was actually moved is in the hundreds.

A: No matter what time you pick it is absurd to think Saitama actually waited for any amount of events to transpire. Depicting two events that were happening at different locations but at the same time is nigh impossible in a manga unless you actually draw two separate columns, one for each event. This however would make for an awful read. Now I know this will be hard for a lot of you, but just for a second assume I was right and it did take this long. How do you think that would have panelled? Do you actually think the feat would have been cut in half, with the second half only being shown several chapters later because "that's what chronologically happened"? Of course not. While you typically panel in a chronological way, there is no rule forcing any mangaka to do so. Think of it like this. We see Blast teleport away to fix the dimensional seal halfway through the manga. If we get to see him appear in the next chapter, is anyone actually going to claim it took that long for him to teleport? I highly doubt that. Another example of chronology is when Blast first teleports Saitama and Flashy Flash. We go through tons of events before we actually see them again. Doesn't mean that that is the actual chronology of things.

A: He is a character with basically no feats or statements. What we know of him is that he noticed that earth has a messed up gravitational and magnetic fields and that space started to distort. These are all side effects of the feat. We don't know how sensitive he is towards these things, so chances are he really only just noticed towards the end. If you want to claim otherwise, bring evidence.
No one is going to accept a 6 minute timeframe, look at the sheer amount of argumentation needed to counter the simple logic "the continent rose from beneath the sea fast enough to leave a life boat high and dry way up on a cliff before anyone could react"

No one is going to accept a 6 minute timeframe, look at the sheer amount of argumentation needed to counter the simple logic "the continent rose from beneath the sea fast enough to leave a life boat high and dry way up on a cliff before anyone could react"
I literally calculated that and that gives one of the worst times (several hours). also, they actually reacted twice. idk where this "before they could react" even comes from.

Edit: Also, dont ignore the weight issue. That one is pretty blatant and not really debatable.

If the scene of Blast reacting to the feat was happening half a day after Garou's initial strike I really think the manga would have made it more clear. It's also quite silly to assume Murata intended those waves to travel at the speed of sound and take hours upon hours upon hours to reach the other side of the planet in accordance to irl physics. Using irl physics over what the manga itself is trying to convey to insist what must have happened and then making up a chronology that is not so much as hinted in the narrative to justify it is just not gonna fly

If the scene of Blast reacting to the fear was happening half a day after Garou's initial strike I really think the manga would have made it more clear. It's also quite silly to assume Murata intended those waves to travel at the speed of sound and take hours upon hours to reach the other side of the planet in accordance to irl physics. Using irl physics over what the manga itself is trying to convey to insist what must have happened and then making up a chronology that is not so much as hinted in the narrative to justify it is just not gonna fly
Me: Not talking about 12hrs. Please stop saying that. Seriously. I never argued for that. For the love of god, stop it
You: Half a day tho

. . .

Do I have to change my name to "not 12hrs" for ppl to stop with that?

Also, had you bothered actually reading past the first sentence you'd know that that is not my main argument. Not even my secondary argument for that matter

You literally said 12 hours is the time it would take for the waves to reach the other side of the planet, I'm responding to that, even if the timeframe of the plate being lifted isn't 12 hours

I'll see to the rest of the argument later
I literally didnt say that and I told you on discord I never argued for that. Stop it. This is strawmanning the absolute extreme to an unfunny degree.

Okay I missed the part in the parenthesis, but this is what I was referring to

"The 12 hours (which were the very worst case scenario) were based on the time for it to travel through the planet. Not for the actual feat to happen. I never actually advocated for using 12 hours, lol."

Apologies

I still maintain that reasoning a timeframe first and then calculating the KE would be more appropriate than using the speed of sound for a fictional shockwave/soundwave whatever you wanna call it

NOVJ6w0.jpg

vntjtGR.jpg

ZZiImX7.jpg

4QsMRzp.jpg

BXOZKic.jpg

Stop overthinking my guy it's not that deep

""that's what chronologically happened"? Of course not. While you typically panel in a chronological way, there is no rule forcing any mangaka to do so. Think of it like this."

While chronology can be broken it is still in the artists best interest to make sure the events of the story are getting across well to the reader. If the author himself doesn't make clear the panels are out of order, that's not something that should be assumed. Blast reacting to the feat 15 minutes after the initial strike just isn't supported at all narratively

Also I don't have the scans on me right now but iirc time flowed differently in the space where Flashy and Saitama were when Blast approached them, that's why so many events happened before they got back and it's likely why they didn't appear immediately again

"
We have this entire scene happen before they even notice that something is happening, meaning that the time it took for the shockwave to hit and move the tectonic plate was at least several seconds."

I actually wouldn't mind the timeframe being tweaked because of this

Hold up, something came up. I will return later

Also I don't have the scans on me right now but iirc time flowed differently in the space where Flashy and Saitama were when Blast approached them, that's why so many events happened before they got back and it's likely why they didn't appear immediately again
He teleported them out of there and we go through tons of events after that, so that isn't really a valid argument.

I actually wouldn't mind the timeframe being tweaked because of this
In that case you are advocating for 6min. And that is the time it took to push out the plate. Not the time it took to cross the planet.

The weight I would like to see the actual calc you did
It's literally on the panel

ZZiImX7.jpg

That green line boat was likely far away from plane before continent raise ever happen as it only has three occupants and none of them look like the people on boats close to the plane. And going by how close the two boats directly beside the plane are, they would’ve been stuck on same piece of land the plane was on. Seeing as the panels for the raise all occur back to back and ended with this page showing no more chaotic sound effects from the raise, I would say the entire lift couldn’t have occurred over 30 seconds.

Imagine Saitama chilling there for 15 minutes staring at Garou pushing him down 🙂
I think this is the most logical interpretation. Murata did want to portray things chronologically, he just assumed we'd be able to figure out that Saitama was just prone under Garou's palms for 15 minutes.

In fact in that time period they probably exchanged all the best one-liners that we thought had been left out of the manga version, and then coauthored and test-ran a space opera when they ran out of awesome one-liners. And people say all the good content was left out of the fight, it was just between panels of course

So you used the diagram of the girl explaining what was happening, took it as to scale, then scaled that instead of the panel of the earth bulging out in front of them?

That green line boat was likely far away from plane before continent raise ever happen as it only has three occupants and none of them look like the people on boats close to the plane.
I'll be honest. That bright green line is fully irrelevant. I just thought it'd be interesting to calc the speed of the current. So yeah, that doesn't hae much of a bearing on anything.

And going by how close the two boats directly beside the plane are, they would’ve been stuck on same piece of land the plane was on.
1. There is just 1 boat in all of these panels
2. A plane is quite a bit heavier than a raft.

Seeing as the panels for the raise all occur back to back and ended with this page showing no more chaotic sound effects from the raise, I would say the entire lift couldn’t have occurred over 30 seconds.
That's an assumption. I actually calced it. Just to be clear. That first panel is only 1/3000 of the total height (250m out of 750,000m).

Rather's argument about the time falls apart when you consider this was written in chronological order.

Yes, this IS in chronological order. The timeline of events in this chapter is very smooth if you ignore all the small physics details that don't really matter in a fictional work anyway.

Garou pushes Saitama into the Earth -> Earth bulges -> Blast reacts -> Saitama uses Consecutive Normal Punches

There is absolutely nothing in this chapter that indicates any out-of-order panels. And if you want to say they are out of order, you need to provide some crazy proof to do so.

Yes, this manga has done out-of-order panels before. Rather brought up one of them, being the Flash, Blast, and Saitama stuff. The thing is, in those scenes, we already had a chronological storyline being written out there which was evidently separate from everything else going on. All the stuff with Saitama underground with Flash happened before it.

In this case, Blast just appears. The only things that happened before the Blast scenes are... literally the stuff he is reacting to. There is nothing that indicates separate chronology or panels being out-of-order.

If we accept this, then any timeframe above a few seconds doesn't make any sense. Take a look back at the order of events.

Garou pushes Saitama into the Earth -> Earth bulges -> Blast reacts -> Saitama uses Consecutive Normal Punches

If we insert a long timeframe anywhere in here, we are assuming that Saitama takes minutes or hours to use consecutive normal punches. While Saitama has taken moments or seconds to react to monsters before, I don't think I need to explain why assuming he takes such an extreme amount of time to attack Garou is absurd.

Can you guys actually debate or just smack talk?
Okay, that was a bit much on my part. Phoenks summed up my thoughts pretty well- that the panels unfold in a very smooth, chronological way that doesn't allow for long timeframes without the narrative being broken up in an atypical way.

Now it may come out later that Blast and his crew are in another dimension with a different time-flow and the panels are in fact, nonconsecutive, until that happens the timeframes can only reasonably be in seconds.

While your calc may be mathematically perfect and a good applied use of real life physics, Murata has repeatedly demonstrated that he doesn't understand irl physics very well, so I doubt Murata would even be aware of many of the objections you have to a short time frame.

Back