• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Death Battle Sephi vs Vergil Discussion Thread

Long post ahead (sorry), not a rant, though:

Well, haven't been able to see anything yet. I guess I'll just wait until the results are known. But, while I think Sephiroth would win this fight in any other case, guessing by the character previews and DB almost feat only approach (with very rare exceptions), it seems rather easy to predict why they will make Vergil win. The stuff they brought up:

-They mention the Masamune can cut easily over most things, but Vergil's Yamato cuts through dimensions, so this will likely be a point for Vergil

-Sephy took a fatal blow being stabbed by the Buster Sword and survived, but he was heavily wounded. Vergil has a healing factor (which is taken as making him borderline immortal). I think this will be all for Sephiroth's durability and I see it unlikely they consider he became much stronger in the lifestream and by Advent Children. In general, DB takes a feat and sometimes very early on the character's story and doesn't consider that later on said character had become much stronger and the feat may be outdated.

-Both are expert swordsmen, but Vergil also is an expert in hand to hand with Beowulf and other sword styles with the Force Edge. It's unlikely they will bring up Sephiroth's other skills and abilities seen in the main game or his magic, they will just go with the swordfighting seen in AC and CC.

I am pretty sure they will say "Sephiroth is superior in *insert some trait* but Vergil outclasses him in everything else". And as it has been discussed before, if they bring up the Supernova at all they will just disregard it as gameplay only, an illusion, needing the black materia (and therefore not usable in the fight) or a mind attack. Sephy's attack power will be reduced to cutting debris and the cannon. For speed, I guess they'll bring up Vergil's flash steps and perhaps a comparison to Dante and say it's more than what Sephiroth can handle and don't really bring speed calcultations for him (and I really doubt they are even aware of the Bahamut Fury scaling that puts Sephy as faster than light).

Sephy is much stronger, faster, durable and has much more hax than Vergil. But sadly, they all fall into scaling and RPG gameplay which DB ignores. Worse actually, the Supernova and the Bahamut Fury fall into scaling with gameplay >_>. Doesn't help that while they bring up the original game, they don't really consider the elements of it in the analysis as seen with Cloud and Tifa (magic, the Ziedrich, the power of the Limit Breaks, the Premium Heart, feats of that game) Sephiroth is unlikely to be an exception.

Good thing at least is that given both Vergil an Sephy have 3D models so this battle is bound to look gorgeous.

ah you're were actually kinda right an wrong, Spehiroth is viewed by DB as MUCH stronger and the Supernova is.....real.

I'll... eat my words, right now. *OMNOMNOMNOMNOM!!!"*

I am pretty surprised they actually did most stuff I'd never thought they'd actually do: scaling, actually using elements from the game in the analysis and, most surprisingly, actually using side materials to explain the most confusing aspects instead of disregarding it. I mean, I was surprised they actually went with the explanations used of the Supernova being in another dimension and using the summon's explanation to back it up.Also, VERY, surprised they considered Sephiroth's magic and stats and used them.

Given that Dante's healing factor was almost immortality in his fight I was surprised when they actually did look at the limitations of Vergil's, as well as not simply assuming Yamato cuts through anything and see if there was proof against that.

Very relieved as well, and happy. I mean, not only for Sephy's victory, but FFVII got some slack at last. Had he lost it would have become the punching bag of detractors, being a fan of the game and not get crap for it is already hard as it is =/

Fun fact: retroactively they estimated Cloud can dish out attacks with 1600 tons of force... so he CAN bust through Link's 1000 ton defense. Eh, random thought, not complaining or anything and that was pretty early on so it's understandable to have inconsistencies in research and such.

The inconsistencies in their research (across seasons, anyway) comes from them having gotten a completely new research team some time ago, and thus having changed/updated their methods of research and analysis since they had their first team.

They also only have like ten or so people employed in said research team, IIRC.

But yeah, it's nice to see that they didn't do the predictable thing this time around. It would've been really easy to stiff Sephiroth in this matchup, but they gave us the right result in the end. (even if the methods of finding said result differed heavily from our own)

EDIT: Also, if you think Final Fantasy needs some slack, you should see how bad Street Fighter has it. Good ******* God.

Kyle Ramos said:
I mean.

If Sephi can make a supernova, why bother with a meteor
For the record, Sephi doesnt want to destroy the planet which Supernova would do. Sephi wants to damage the planet.

PaChi2 said:
Kyle Ramos said:
I mean.

If Sephi can make a supernova, why bother with a meteor
For the record, Sephi doesnt want to destroy the planet which Supernova would do. Sephi wants to damage the planet.
Cant he just...make a smaller supernova.

I guess he cant hold back to the tier 6 level once he reaches tier 4. This is not dragon ball.

I heavily enjoyed the fight And am pleasantly surprised Sephiroth won. I am honestly Shocked They counted supernova even if they did just explain it away as Him transporting people to the point in time a sun went supernova (despite him Just creating a huge Explosion in the original JP supernova with no meteor or sun Visably detonating)

I think he's talking about Death Battle's episode.

In which case, I'm pretty sure they expect us to simply forget about that.

Well, Im talking about here, of course.

Cloud has resistance to Link's best hax and oneshots.

Tbh if we even take into account supernova is a dimension/illusion shit then vergil could have just teleported him out cause it broke illusions before so...that is somewhat inconsistent though ofc by logic vergil would be stomped

On a side note, I absolutely love how they not-so-lowkey downplayed Yamato in this episode.

"Couldn't even cut through a common rocket launcher" is pretty funny to relisten to over and over again. Especially since the sword was part of what supposedly gave Dante the win in his own Death Battle.

MrKingOfNegativity said:
On a side note, I absolutely love how they not-so-lowkey downplayed Yamato in this episode.
"Couldn't even cut through a common rocket launcher" is pretty funny to relisten to over and over again. Especially since the sword was part of what supposedly gave Dante the win in his own Death Battle.

almost like his win was complete bullshit

Um what? Yamato wasn't even mentioned In Dante Vs bayonettas conclusion At least not specifically Granted bayo should have won that but still.

Though I do have some questions about Yamato in general but I don't feel this is the thread for that

Yeah but the animation has no Influence on the result and is just for entertainment. But yes he kills madama butterfly with Yamato, and stabs Bayonetta with it

I know the animation has no bearing on the result. I was merely remarking on the irony/lack of consistency.

Dante kills a Tier 4 with it, but Vergil (its main owner) can't seem to do the same.

Jesterofgames said:
Um what? Yamato wasn't even mentioned In Dante Vs bayonettas conclusion At least not specifically Granted bayo should have won that but still.

Though I do have some questions about Yamato in general but I don't feel this is the thread for that
Bruh literally the entire last part of the fight was Dante using it.

I think it's just weird Yamato has failed to cut though several things in DMC I guess rocket launchers have spatial hax resistance lol

Bruh literally the entire last part of the fight was Dante using it.

He mean they didn't count it as decisive factor in the battle, he used it because it's and Dante can I overpower Bayo anyway

I was on the phone

Yamato wasn't important to the overall battle, what part about this is hard to understand ?

You're terrible grammar? The fact I can't get the next half where you point out Dante can overpower Bayo?

Why bother typing if people can't understand you?

So you are discussing my grammer here ? Bayo mean bayonetta

We were discussing whatever yamato was decisive factor or not in Dante vs Bayo match, screwe attack didn't say Dante won because of yamato

Alright, but if the two above keep going at it and attacking personal details then I'll have to do something.

Back