• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Devil May Cry - About PoC

Status
Not open for further replies.
so as many of know, Peak of combat content was removed from DMC profiles a while ago due PoC 2.0 being announced. since then alot of developments happened and to wrap everything in a single thread would be very chaotic & bad considering the amount arguments & discussions it would bring. so i decided to address every major problem in its own thread. regardless of how this thread turns out. the other parts would be coming. sooner or later.
this first thread is made to address what should still be usable content in the game, in a way it's a rebuttal to this thread. mostly because my replies to it were outright ignored by people
to address why it was wrong on a lot of things. first let's start by clearing up some misinformation about the versions.
-Clearing up misconceptions about PoC Versions-
so as many of you know in the previous thread. the games statements & lore were removed because of the PoC global version closed beta being a thing.
So. does this mean that the versions before were "beta"? No. as per the devs words in the announcement of Peak of Combat 2.0. 1.0 was never a beta
(the site is in chinese, use google translate inorder to read the article)
"Devil May Cry - Peak Battle" was officially launched on June 11, 2021. It has received the enthusiastic attention of tens of millions of players across the Internet, and its results have far exceeded expectations
the game was launched, officially, on the 11th of june 2021. so how did the closed beta exist if the game was never a beta? because that closed beta was only for the global release. not the actual main chinese game at the time. and the chinese version never ceased at the time of the 2.0 closed beta. infact, 2.0 released just like any other update in the chinese build. in that release the only difference between the transition from 1.0 to 2.0 and regular updates is that 2.0 had a test before they rolled it out (note that 1.0 was still playable during this time so its not like they "unlaunched" it.) this is a very common thing in online games where they have a public test server or a beta server alongside the main game to test new updates. and another difference is that they gave players a period of time to migrate to 2.0 before shutting down the 1.0 servers forever which wasnt unusual considering the update was very big. furthermore it's not like they decided to make 2.0 because the game was still unfinished. in the article above it explains. 2.0 was a thing because 1.0 failed to retain it's players & thus the devs considered it a flop.
in their own words:
and its results have far exceeded expectations. However... the development of things caught us by surprise. A large number of players were lost in a short period of time, but it also pointed out the problem for us: for a long time, we have spent a lot of energy on the restoration of battles and art visuals. In terms of carving, more important issues have been ignored: the main content is too short, the combat operation threshold is too high, there are no new characters, and the dungeon gameplay is not rich enough.

so basically. the "closed beta" that was talked about in the previous PoC thread was only something for the global version. not the main chinese version, according to the devs the actual game was out since june of 2021. and 2.0 was, technically speaking, just an update. that was released because in the devs words the older version flopped in terms of players

so then what happened in the new update? main story wise, nothing major changed. the structure of the missions remained the same (no missions were actually removed unlike what the previous thread claimed. they were just compactified. for example mission 1 & 2 were combined in chapter 1 etc). in the new update they just removed a few minor characters that served a gameplay purpose (like the weapon master for example) they also added a few cutscenes that enrich some of the background of the story. however the gameplay was the thing that got overhauled the most. as most of you know, with the new character switch style combat system. which changed the gameplay at its core.

so with all this being said. what should be used from the old version to the new version?
-The Content that should still be usable-
I'd argue here, that anything that wasn't retconned in the new version should still be usable in scaling.
but what about the "deleted" content? you might ask
-The "deleted" content :
so I actually asked about this in a Q&A thread (ignore the part about the remake cause i originally thought that 2.0 was kind of like a remake before finding out that wasn't the case). the common answer I got in that thread is "if it's just deleted but not contradicted or retconned it's still viable for use". and i'm pretty sure this applies here. statements & feats being removed from a live service game isnt necessarily them being decanonized or scrapped. it depends on the reason they're removed.
in PoCs case. most of those statements were removed because of technical reasons as they were in limited time game modes like these 2 for example. they were part of a temporary gamemode that was bound to end sooner or later. some statements were also removed in the transition to 2.0. and if you read the section above you'd know that the transition wasnt because they didnt like the lore stuff. it was because they wanted to overhaul the gameplay. so basically all these should still be usable as long as they arent directly contradicted. as they werent removed because the devs didnt want them in the background of the setting anymore. they were mostly removed for technical reasons. so there would be no reason for them not to be usable and as i said above, 1.0 was a final release. so they werent in a tentative state.

so basically everything in 1.0 that wasnt directly stated to be retconned or contradicted should be usable in wiki profiles even if it's not currently in the game, as this is how live service games work. limited time events ending & updates do not remove canon material from the overall narrative.

now lets move on to answering potential counter arguments for all of this
-The Counter arguments-
1- June 11th release getting called a beta
i'm aware of old articles like this calling the June 11th release "the burning soul public beta". however all of these posts & articles, were infact before said release took place. almost as soon as the game got released, they stopped talking about it being a beta. if you read their articles after june 11th here. the word open beta never gets mentioned again. because of this, the devs stating that it was an official launch in a more dated post takes precedent over those old articles. furthermore their betas always have a limited timeframe. they open & then they close after a period of time. the release on june 11th never closed, suggesting it became the official release.
basically what i think happened there was that the devs changed their minds about it some time after the release, and decided to make that version the official launch instead of an open beta. that's why they said it was officially launched on June 11th 2021 in February of 2023.
regardless of what happened though newer information should always take precedent over old information.
(all the links linked here are in Chinese so you gotta use your browsers translator to read them)
2- why is the chinese version the main release instead of the global version? shouldnt we wait for the global version to release?
this is because the global is primarily a copy/paste based on the chinese version. in this video the devs confirm that the global english version will be same as the chinese one. keep in mind the chinese version was out since 2021. and even the 2.0 update is already out. it was launched on july 6th 2023.
CAPCOM's officially authorized hardcore action mobile game "Devil May Cry - Peak Battle" 2.0 will be officially launched on July 6!
meaning that whatever the global version brings, it will be in the main chinese version first. so waiting for the "official release" is like waiting for just a localization. it will most likely add nothing new in the actual game except an english translation that shouldnt even take precedent over the source material. (also from what i've seen from the betas. the english translation is filled with grammatical errors & mistranslations, so unless they fix that, statements from the english version shouldnt be used).
3- are we sure that the article actually says it's an official launch and that it's not a mistranslation by google translate?
yes. the exact words used for that are "正式上线"
which if you put those in a chinese dictionary yield this result :
正式 : which means official or formal
上线: which means to go online or put something online.
combine those two and the literal translation is something like "peak of combat was officially put online on june 11th 2021"
so basically the same meaning as official launch
4-isnt the chinese 2.0 test exactly like the closed & open betas in the global version thus making 2.0 not a regular update but something more?
the main difference between those 2 is that chinese mainland version still was playable while the global version was still unreleased. devs making servers to test new features while their games are already fully released is nothing new. alot of online game do it, for example : LoL's PBE, Star wars the old republic's test server, GGE's test server etc. so PoC starting test servers for 2.0 doesnt mean much if the main game which was running on 1.0 at time was still playable.

this wraps up the counter arguments lets move to the conclusion
-Conclusion-
-basically Peak of Combat 1.0 was never a beta or an unfinished product. this is evident by the words of the devs themselves. and as they're the ones who decide if the game is in its final released state. we go with what they say. add in the fact that the game was running for 2 years without shutting down which inconsistent with how these devs do beta testing (they usually last 2 - 4 weeks). the game was released june 11th 2021. and that release wasnt an unfinished or a tentative version in their eyes. the closed & open betas you heard about in the removal thread were exclusive to the global version. which is just a port based entirely on the main version in china
-the removed lore content even from 1.0 should still be usable in scaling if they're not directly retconned. as they were only removed for technical reasons thus they shouldn't be removed from the narrative of the world. that includes the stuff from 1.0. as we established earlier 1.0 was an official release. and the stuff in it were also official content. they weren't tentative or "concept" content.

so the proposals of this thread are as follows:
anything in Devil May Cry- Peak of Combat should be usable in vs profiles as long as it's
  1. in or was in the main chinese version. this extends to the previous 1.0 version
  2. it isn't directly retconned in later updates. and by retcon I mean directly or indirectly contradicted by the game itself. simply being removed doesn't mean it's a retcon
-Notes-
this is the only scope of this thread. it's here to set a precedent on what should be usable in this game and to clear up some wrong information i constantly keep hearing. this wont result in any profiles being changed for the time being however. what we're adding specifically will be discussed at a later thread. and since this thread isnt adding anything to profiles, please keep the discussion only on the scope of the thread. anything other than the scope is completely unrelated and should be discussed at a later date. so remain on the scope of the thread & do not derail.

now please keep the discussion civil & do not be biased. look at all the information presented here objectively. alot of people from the removal thread just rushed & agreed with it, even though that particular thread cites no sources, no valid explanations about 2.0, it was very very rushed & it had nothing that warrants it being passed. it's just " we DMC supporters have decided to delete everything that is related to PoC because of 2.0" which is just not how stuff like this should be done. it's been very clear to me that alot of people hate this game. but that isnt a valid reason to exclude the stuff it brings from being added to profiles just because it's a bad mobile game. also please avoid repetition in your arguments as this needlessly clogs up the thread and makes it less readable

Tally:

Agree with proposals: luffyruffy, gilver, oliver, Lephyr, bestMGQScalerEver, tanin_iver, random_helper, Executor_N0,TokiNoOuja

Disagree with the proposals: Deagonx, tony

Neutral with the proposals: Palito, Planck69,Serlock_Holmes

Last edited:
I stand neutral in regards to this, mainly because i am unaware of how VSBW's standards work in regards to deleted content, but i want to add my grain of sand here.

meaning that whatever the global version brings, it will be in the main chinese version first. so waiting for the "official release" is like waiting for just a localization. it will most likely add nothing new in the actual game except an english translation that shouldnt even take precedent over the source material. (also from what i've seen from the betas. the english translation is filled with grammatical errors & mistranslations, so unless they fix that, statements from the english version shouldnt be used).
This is indeed true, i've installed the Bilibili version of 2.0 some months ago, and the version was 2.1 and it had V and some new gamemodes, at the time the English Beta was at 2.0 and didn't have V so yes, whatever they do in Global version is just a copy from Mainland version, and we need to take Mainland version in order to make a more precise analysis.
If anyone wishes to download the Chinese Version, you're going to need Bluestacks (in case you're in PC), Urban VPN and a Bilibili account, you just need to install it from there with a VPN to China and it should be the 2.1 version with V in it.

5df.jpg

I stand neutral in regards to this, mainly because i am unaware of how VSBW's standards work in regards to deleted content, but i want to add my grain of sand here.
there isnt standards for that AFAIK. and if there was. verses like Destiny uses deleted stuff to my knowledge. so probably should be the same for PoC's case

Neutral for now. Unclear of our standards on this.
so I actually asked about this in a Q&A thread
check the Q&A thread i made. first_witch says they are an expert on gachas and since they're retired staff maybe they're knowledgable about this. why not tag them here and ask them about the standards? although i'm pretty sure there isnt any "official standards" on this if that makes sense.

From the criteria i seen from the thread provided by Sevil, i say the current version of PoC fills all the criteria regarding retcons, validity and backing up source that comes from the main games.

Especially when you consider the overall lore of DMC established long ago in previous sequels (especially mangas).

The idea of Names, HGR, Souls and Nightmare's world threatening power was all there from the very beginning and it's confirmed not long ago that all the contents that were brought into the game was from Capcom and nothing is brought within the game without their permission.

Along with the fact that the game was originally about to be released in 1.0 form but couldn't due to lack of its success already says everything that PoC 2.0, at the least, wasn't really thought about till the recent situation.

But i wait for the guys that made the standards to solve this situation out.

It's certainly important that the lore added in Peak of Combat is only a slight addition to existing DMC lore. The demons' names and souls being connected and forming the being itself, the fate hax, the concepts, Pluto, all already hinted at in DMC lore. It's not as if the lore in Peak of Combat was contrary to existing lore or randomly out of left field.

guys. i should say that how this game ties in with the rest franchise isnt what this thread is about. it's simply about what stuff can we use to scale it.
From the criteria i seen from the thread provided by Sevil, i say the current version of PoC fills all the criteria regarding retcons, validity and backing up source that comes from the main games.

Especially when you consider the overall lore of DMC established long ago in previous sequels (especially mangas).

The idea of Names, HGR, Souls and Nightmare's world threatening power was all there from the very beginning and it's confirmed not long ago that all the contents that were brought into the game was from Capcom and nothing is brought within the game without their permission.

Along with the fact that the game was originally about to be released in 1.0 form but couldn't due to lack of its success already says everything that PoC 2.0, at the least, wasn't really thought about till the recent situation.

But i wait for the guys that made the standards to solve this situation out.
It's certainly important that the lore added in Peak of Combat is only a slight addition to existing DMC lore. The demons' names and souls being connected and forming the being itself, the fate hax, the concepts, Pluto, all already hinted at in DMC lore. It's not as if the lore in Peak of Combat was contrary to existing lore or randomly out of left field.
with all that being said. should i add you two to the agree list?

I'll look at the thread in full later, but I do think it's disingenuous to say PoC doesn't have anything massively incongruent with the main series, seeing as it's the source of 9D fuckery, and I've seen scans heavily suggesting plot hax and outerversal stats. Those seem very out of line with what the rest of DMC presents ngl

PoC doesn't have anything massively incongruent with the main series, seeing as it's the source of 9D fuckery, and I've seen scans heavily suggesting plot hax and outerversal stats. Those seem very out of line with what the rest of DMC presents ngl
literally nobody said that but okay

I'll look at the thread in full later, but I do think it's disingenuous to say PoC doesn't have anything massively incongruent with the main series, seeing as it's the source of 9D fuckery, and I've seen scans heavily suggesting plot hax and outerversal stats. Those seem very out of line with what the rest of DMC presents ngl
strange seeing you here, either way each series is vulnerable to new ideas being introduced to its narrative so I disagree on that.

literally nobody said that but okay
What is this supposed to say if not that?
Don't have an opinion on the thread itself yet, this specific post just bothered me.

I'm okay with this, I suppose that any change between both versions is like what happened with Sonic Frontiers, where we accept that both versions, the English and Japanese, are canon at the same time even though some dialogues and elements are not in the other.

I don't particularly care about PoC, but our Canon standards seem to indicate in this case that tertiary canon (of I would argue this falls into) can be used as long as it is not contradicted nor essentially retconned. Usage of these elements should still be okay here.

That said, our canon standards have no guidelines in regards to "deleted" elements, and thus this situation falls in a gray area. Even so, I believe we do have some form of precedent when it comes to other mobile games, most notably gachas with limited events, and despite these events/info not being easily accessible in-game once "removed", they are still acknowledged in our files (again, as long as these aren't retconned or contradicted)

Thus, I would personally argue the elements from PoC should still be viable for use.

I'll look at the thread in full later, but I do think it's disingenuous to say PoC doesn't have anything massively incongruent with the main series, seeing as it's the source of 9D fuckery
As long as it doesn't contradict any current material we have, we're safe. In this case, it's just merely expanding upon one of the metaphysical aspects of the series, that being the souls and the names.
Unless you find a statement that says that the Souls are 8-D, or that the names aren't important for reality, then it doesn't really matter.

and I've seen scans heavily suggesting plot hax and outerversal stats. Those seem very out of line with what the rest of DMC presents ngl
Those will be discussed later, since we're not very aware what their exact source is, as it came from a whole different group of people all together and seem very suspicious.

I don't particularly care about PoC, but our Canon standards seem to indicate in this case that tertiary canon (of I would argue this falls into) can be used as long as it is not contradicted nor essentially retconned. Usage of these elements should still be okay here.

That said, our canon standards have no guidelines in regards to "deleted" elements, and thus this situation falls in a gray area. Even so, I believe we do have some form of precedent when it comes to other mobile games, most notably gachas with limited events, and despite these events/info not being easily accessible in-game once "removed", they are still acknowledged in our files (again, as long as these aren't retconned or contradicted)
alright. should i add you to agree then? since you didnt say it out right.
also keep in mind, this thread doesnt cover the canonicity of this game to the main timeline.
it's made primarily to address what elements of this game should be usable in its own scaling. since that alone was pretty controversial and i dont want this thread to derail

As long as it doesn't contradict any current material we have, we're safe. In this case, it's just merely expanding upon one of the metaphysical aspects of the series, that being the souls and the names.
Unless you find a statement that says that the Souls are 8-D, or that the names aren't important for reality, then it doesn't really matter.

Those will be discussed later, since we're not very aware what their exact source is, as it came from a whole different group of people all together and seem very suspicious.
So wait, would the deleted scans just not be used at all? If so, then I'm a bit more inclined to agree.

Me telling you to read does not equate to me being an asswhole, im simply telling you to recheck what was presented.
Let's calm down for now, we don't want another drama again. It was just a misundestanding, and i know Fuji doesn't have the best relationship with us right now, but please, focus on the thread.
In regards to what Fuji said, i was just saying how, if nothing contradicts what's presented in PoC, then it should be used (basically the same as what Lephyr and Sevil have been saying)

Fair. I'm just pointing out that the lore added in Peak of Combat is somewhat similar to existing lore too.

I'd say I agree.

I realise you're riled up, but I have to ask, why are you misrepresenting what I said? I said that much of the lore was very similar to and in a way even expands on lore in other DMC content, with Pluto, names, souls, concepts, etc., nothing about dimensional axes. Although this would make me and SUPERSONICTL the third and fourth people you've called liars for saying something you disagree with on DMC in the last 24 hours, if I'm not mistaken.

I have to admit I'm doubting your earlier statement that you didn't think DMC deserved to be lower than 2-C following your admission of hating DMC. You've got this dogged determination to downgrade the verse regardless of circumstances, having made the same thread three times regardless of Peak of Combat's status, attempting to push through a thread related to Tier 1 literally during a major overhaul to Tier 1 itself, and planning to oppose this thread while admitting you haven't read it. I've seen this kind of approach to certain verses before, on people who wanted the verse in question to be as weak as possible. The old OBD treated Bleach and Naruto like that, and they also hated them so much they downgraded absolute zero solely because Rukia acquired it, and had a versus thread where Luke Valentine (who they rated as wall level) soloed the Naruto verse. So this approach of yours definitely will make verse supporters defensive, regardless of whether that is truly your intent.
Random helper, for our sake and the thread’s delete this and let’s first conclude this thread without any derailing then you can have your talk.

Random helper, for our sake and the thread’s delete this and let’s first conclude this thread without any derailing then you can have your talk.
Okay, I'll just say I agree with the OP. I'm not staff, but I am a reasonably knowledgeable member, for what little it's worth.

Sorry it took a bit of time to delete; my device lagged like I was trying to run a next-gen game on an abacus.

I will say that any game which is stored in online servers will eventually have some of that content removed. KLOL made this point very nicely above. And if the whole game goes down? If Blizzard gets sold to Apple and Apple decides that Warcraft is the only valuable IP and as a result shuts down every other online game, does Overwatch suddenly cease to be canon to the additional material or something?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back