• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

DEATH BATTLE! Discussion Thread (2024–2025) (All-time Death Battle Spoilers Alert)

Hey tiki, a question, outside omniman vs bardock and eggman vs bowser, how many MUs are atm done and waiting for release?
Done? The closest to being done is the premiere, we don't have a secret stash of finished episodes. So the answer is 0.

Edit: which is to say, finished from start to finish, rundowns edited and all. I'm only one guy and Max is only one guy and we can't work on so many episodes that quickly. At least in a way in that the edit wouldn't look scuffed. I personally wanna make sure these 4 look as good as they can since it's the come back episodes.

Ok then

Can i ask another question related to past stuff? This one i wanted to ask for a long time

Why the street fighter episodes include the UDON comics into the research given outside the SF6 ones, they differ in events, scaling, let alone share a universe with darkstalkers, let alone use of crossovers like the meteor for akuma

Ok then

Can i ask another question related to past stuff? This one i wanted to ask for a long time

Why the street fighter episodes include the UDON comics into the research given outside the SF6 ones, they differ in events, scaling, let alone share a universe with darkstalkers, let alone use of crossovers like the meteor for akuma
Usually those sorts of things boils down to people wanting us to actually address it instead of handwaving it due to canoncity.

For instance, technically Tag 2's events aren't ALL congruent with 6 and 7 (speaking mainly on Angel here) but there's enough connecting tissue between games and it's sanctioned by Bandai Namco so yeah let's talk about it (as long as the other has an equivalent).

Similar deal with Fighting EX Layer, canon is questionable, people will ask about it if we don't mention it. UDON is sanctioned / licensed officially by Capcom, it's cool, and iif we disregard it for only mainline games, people are just going to ask "okay but what if UDON"

Edit: should mention this doesn't automatically mean we'll include noncanon stuff if enough people ask about it, it's a case by case basis and fighting games are way looser in endings and what is and isn't canon.

Understandable.

And afaik on canon usage, DB usually receives questions if they exclude things, so DB tends to nowadays use more sources unless its really contradictory. If you are strict on canon & lore this does create problems, but I presume that this is less problematic than ignoring stuff for them. I could be wrong tho?

Understandable.

And afaik on canon usage, DB usually receives questions if they exclude things, so DB tends to nowadays use more sources unless its really contradictory. If you are strict on canon & lore this does create problems, but I presume that this is less problematic than ignoring stuff for them. I could be wrong tho?
Depends. If the series is heavily dependent on its lore and canon like say a Souls title, we wouldn't go and composite Bloodborne scaling into it because BB has some Souls references and weapons.

We go into everything and see what makes sense for the fight, what is contradictory to canon, and have discussions not just between researchers but Ben and sometimes other more knowledgable team members that aren't researchers.

Depends. If the series is heavily dependent on its lore and canon like say a Souls title, we wouldn't go and composite Bloodborne scaling into it because BB has some Souls references and weapons.

We go into everything and see what makes sense for the fight, what is contradictory to canon, and have discussions not just between researchers but Ben and sometimes other more knowledgable team members that aren't researchers.
Alright understandable

Tho I got one question
Given death battle is independent now is it possible certain fights not all but some can go beyond the usual 3-4min range?

Usually those sorts of things boils down to people wanting us to actually address it instead of handwaving it due to canoncity.

For instance, technically Tag 2's events aren't ALL congruent with 6 and 7 (speaking mainly on Angel here) but there's enough connecting tissue between games and it's sanctioned by Bandai Namco so yeah let's talk about it (as long as the other has an equivalent).

Similar deal with Fighting EX Layer, canon is questionable, people will ask about it if we don't mention it. UDON is sanctioned / licensed officially by Capcom, it's cool, and iif we disregard it for only mainline games, people are just going to ask "okay but what if UDON"
So basically these sort of stuff needs to be included cuz people will ask why it wasnt?

Cant it be explained in like a black box or even at the start like few episodes did before regarding whats considered for the fight and why?

Yeah its licensed and all, but shouldnt a line be drawn regarding conflicting stuff in canons in certain aspects

So basically these sort of stuff needs to be included cuz people will ask why it wasnt?

Cant it be explained in like a black box or even at the start like few episodes did before regarding whats considered for the fight and why?

Yeah its licensed and all, but shouldnt a line be drawn regarding conflicting stuff in canons in certain aspects
I don't think that's a terrible idea. It's less so only about what people want to see but also what would be interesting in a video to cover as well. Like I said, case by case. The fighting game methodology doesn't apply to all episodes and shouldn't.

And at a certain point, tabs (what you guys call black boxes) can only do so much. Like as the show's editor, the largest tabs are only like 3 lines in a word processor doc. And they can only be upscreen for like 13 seconds at most and it may not cover the "why" in a way VS peeps would be satisified with.

It seems easy on paper but also affects how we produce these episodes as well.

I see, thanks for answering

Hopefully 1 or 2 of the episodes not revealed are possibly a fighting game MU, especially since lately they all gave us some nutty things, fingers crossed since you cant openly tell anything on that
I live and breath fighting games and we're in a golden era of fighting titles right now so would also like to cover more of them. Especially if I could write a Tekken episode myself.

Fighting game MUs did take a backseat last 2 seasons. Since Independent DB seems to give bit more freedom on MU choices, Id figure fighting game MU can return, even if unfortunately some of the newer ones didnt do best views wise.

Sweet tho I wonder if the monthly schedule can make things easier for you guys
Fighting game MUs did take a backseat last 2 seasons. Since Independent DB seems to give bit more freedom on MU choices, Id figure fighting game MU can return, even if unfortunately some of the newer ones didnt do best views wise.
Well fighting games are heavily relevant right now so if the best time to do a fighting game it's right now

If we're going by fighting game mu death battle could do currently well we have to by the fighting game franchise mu as of late

Street Fighter: idk tbh not many notable my left that doesn't resort to runbacks
Juri vs Mishima is a cool one tho again Mileena is there
Tekken: Kazuya makes the most sense to do especially when we gotten done with heihachi and Jin

Mortal Kombat: Liu Kang is way overdue ATP and scorpion mu was a TOC
Sure there's Juri vs Mileena but God I doubt the crew wants to deal with mk scaling in regards to where Mileena could scale at and feels redundant with Akuma vs Shao Khan happened

Fatal Fury/Kof Iori vs Kazuya is the only big name mu I could see from that franchise happening

The song is good.

Also, hot take, I don't think Bieber vs Black was bad in any way. It was standard dark humor at the time, or well, just standard humor. The people who complain sound like the type of sensitive people that nag others a lot.
Nobody cares about Bieber vs Black it's just folks in the community complaining just to have some morale high ground

If we're going by fighting game mu death battle could do currently well we have to by the fighting game franchise mu as of late

Street Fighter: idk tbh not many notable my left that doesn't resort to runbacks
Juri vs Mishima is a cool one tho again Mileena is there
Tekken: Kazuya makes the most sense to do especially when we gotten done with heihachi and Jin

Mortal Kombat: Liu Kang is way overdue ATP and scorpion mu was a TOC
Sure there's Juri vs Mileena but God I doubt the crew wants to deal with mk scaling in regards to where Mileena could scale at and feels redundant with Akuma vs Shao Khan happened

Fatal Fury/Kof Iori vs Kazuya is the only big name mu I could see from that franchise happening
What about Killer Instinct?

Oh crap I wonder if DJ can still answer this, does DB consider certain destruction of universe feats as 4D?

Obviously this wont be talked because casual fans will just blank at it, but certain type of universe destruction could mean destroying space-time as well, thus making some uni feats be at 4D. Even if realistically I dont think there are MUs where someone destroys "only" all matter in universe vs someone who destroy space-time as well. Honestly just curious does Dimension shenanigans get talked that much behind the scenes?

Oh crap I wonder if DJ can still answer this, does DB consider certain destruction of universe feats as 4D?

Obviously this wont be talked because casual fans will just blank at it, but certain type of universe destruction could mean destroying space-time as well, thus making some uni feats be at 4D. Even if realistically I dont think there are MUs where someone destroys "only" all matter in universe vs someone who destroy space-time as well. Honestly just curious does Dimension shenanigans get talked that much behind the scenes?
That's a good question and one I can't really answer for you off the top of my head. I think we consider uni feats 3D by default until it also specifies spacetime or have ample reason to conclude it included time as a concept. Definitely one I didn't consider thinking too much about. The cosmology arms race is all anyone talks about anymore.

That's a good question and one I can't really answer for you off the top of my head. I think we consider uni feats 3D by default until it also specifies spacetime or have ample reason to conclude it included time as a concept. Definitely one I didn't consider thinking too much about. The cosmology arms race is all anyone talks about anymore.
Based logic I agree with.

**** cosmologies

EDIT: Tho timing wise people are trying 1-A Archie Sonic right now in here huh. Truly an arms race which I kinda hate I agree with the basic logic that someone being beyond dimensions kind of is "Outerversal"

I dunno if Tiki is still here to answer stuff but was there ever a time you or maybe other researchers looked at a verse on this site here to find feats or abilities you didnt knew of before? Like how Akuma raging demon isnt soul based, but death based for example

Back