• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

DEATH BATTLE! Discussion Thread (2024–2025) (All-time Death Battle Spoilers Alert)

Pokemon got a 3 win streak and DB basically gave them 2 freebies, they can afford it if M2Shadow 2 happens and if M2 loses in fact modern Poke scaling sucks ass so theyd deserve it.

Pokemon got a 3 win streak and DB basically gave them 2 freebies, they can afford it if M2Shadow 2 happens and if M2 loses in fact modern Poke scaling sucks ass so theyd deserve it.
The only good fight out of those was Machamp vs Goro the rest looked like something Animation Rewind would make.

I still don't understand how after so many years DB still can't get as good as SMBZ in terms of sprite animations. The only time I liked the sprite battle was in Kirby vs Buu and it still didn't really match up.

I kinda have soft spot for Blanka's kill but yeaaah that ep is kinda nothing huh.

Pokemon BR is passable but those sprites really dont work there.

PokemonDigimon is great but those rendering errors do hurt it.

M2Shadow has like 3 neat points or so but its probably biggest missed opportunity from S3 beyond.

LucarioRenamon might be the blandest episode in DB.

GoroMachamp is good.

Hmmm yeah, Poke's fight animations are balanced but having 2 bad eps, 2 bland eps and 2 good eps isnt actually that balanced huh.

I still don't understand how after so many years DB still can't get as good as SMBZ in terms of sprite animations. The only time I liked the sprite battle was in Kirby vs Buu and it still didn't really match up.
I mean there's been real Good sprite fights plus SMBZ style of things differ in how DB constructs itself ya know one guy had free time and doesn't focus so much on banter and mainly choreography
I really hope a Shadow vs Mewtwo rematch doesn't happen. We Pokemon fans have been screwed over consistently by DB, I don't wanna see my fave pokemon die
Really speaking idk what's gonna happen given folks be shilling it up the ass

Plus Ash vs Yugi could go hard given tiki livs the MU
I kinda have soft spot for Blanka's kill but yeaaah that ep is kinda nothing huh.

Pokemon BR is passable but those sprites really dont work there.

PokemonDigimon is great but those rendering errors do hurt it.

M2Shadow has like 3 neat points or so but its probably biggest missed opportunity from S3 beyond.

LucarioRenamon might be the blandest episode in DB.

GoroMachamp is good.

Hmmm yeah, Poke's fight animations are balanced but having 2 bad eps, 2 bland eps and 2 good eps isnt actually that balanced huh.
Yeesh a really mixed bag

I mean there's been real Good sprite fights plus SMBZ style of things differ in how DB constructs itself ya know one guy had free time and doesn't focus so much on banter and mainly choreography
That's the thing, what need is there for much banter when the main thing is the battle?
DB has a team and used to get more money than it might do now when it was under Roosterteeth. The fights end up feeling lackluster when animated in sprites.
I think there are a few issues I can outline
-Choreography could indeed be better, if a guy who doesn't do youtube professionaly could release superior sprite animations before the 2010s on Newgrounds, a team with professional animators and a lot of money should be able to do so as well.
-The punches and kicks lack impact. Listen to the sounds here and then listen to the sounds here. There's barely any impact in the first one and in the SMBZ one every sound has a lot of weight behind it. You feel the impact, while in the DB fights it just feels like they didn't even land a hit.
-Another issue I find is the fact that the fights are animated in sprites but using movements unnatural to the sprites. SMBZ already had sprites they could use so it is a bit of a cheat code but then again the reboot also has movements that weren't in the game and yet they flow very well. In DB those movements end up feeling like the sprites aren't animated but strung like puppets. It basically feels like they drew the sprites and then animated them completely separately rather than giving them proper movement.
-DB overrelies on normally 2D animated assets. Explosions, beams, impact flashes, and yet they are all in high quality 2D and thus feels out of place. SMBZ relies on sprite animated explosions, impacts and beams, thus making it look better.

These are the ones I got off the top of my head. I think these cause some notable issues in how the sprite battles work and thus lessen the coolness factor of the fight by a lot.

For a rematch, Im looking for these criteria:
  • MU itself is good/important not too niche
  • It has received new stuff to make revisit worth it
  • Fight could pop off in new animation / old one has missed opportunities
  • Results & analysis could use fixing
I dont really like rematches, so I kinda think MCDoomguy & M2Shadow are the best options to get a rematch atm. Anyone wanna bother to try convincing why some rematch should happen?

I dont really like rematches, so I kinda think MCDoomguy & M2Shadow are the best options to get a rematch atm. Anyone wanna bother to try convincing why some rematch should happen?
Any Shadow match should go out of the window simply due to the fact that there's already been 3 Shadow matches.
The ones that I think could be interesting are:
-Luigi vs. Tails
-Zoro vs. Erza
-Ben 10 vs. Green Lantern
-Donkey Kong vs Knuckles

Shadow getting 4th ep is a problem but the MU itself was so much missed opportunity Id almost make a exception.

Batman is still our only true 4th timer, but if you count him being Terry's assist he has been in 5 eps. Gogeta & Vegito also makes it that technically Goku has been a fighter 5 times and Vegeta 4 times when counted with fusions. No one else is 4 timer+ by technicalities unless you stretch to count copies made by Zatanna & Heroes Trunks.

Any Shadow match should go out of the window simply due to the fact that there's already been 3 Shadow matches.
The ones that I think could be interesting are:
-Luigi vs. Tails
-Zoro vs. Erza
-Ben 10 vs. Green Lantern
-Donkey Kong vs Knuckles
Eh don't see any of them being real interesting
Even ignoring wasted potential or whatever Ben feels really uneeded of a rematch given he has gotten nothing new since and we got other ben 10 reps to bring in

Bro what the ****

EXCUSE ME, SIR?
Guys, I’m not trying to be rude but he’s giving Jewish vibes icl

~the unwritable name
Yeah, I might’ve jumped the gun on that one. I live near a Jewish community and have tons of respect for them, but you can never win an argument or change their minds on anything. It’s both fun and frustrating, good times.

I hope I’m not digging myself in a deeper hole, I’ll shut up now.

Just saw the Minecraft movie teaser.
image0.jpg

Yeah, I might’ve jumped the gun on that one. I live near a Jewish community and have tons of respect for them, but you can never win an argument or change their minds on anything. It’s both fun and frustrating, good times.

This unironically sounds like someone saying “they have black friends” 😭😭😭. No offense btw

If MCDoomguy happens they BETTER have the end be Doomguy tearing apart the omniverse with his bare hands.

Don't worry, I just thought it was funny lol

Really tho I hope DB having ample time now mean they can have time implementing alot of cool ideas for the fights and natural dialogue

Back