• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Dc cosmology upgrade: Revenge of the sith

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello, I decided to make a small blog on Dc cosmology based on the Doom patrol comics

Recursive painting:

There is an infinite recursive artistic painting containing at each of the infinite levels the same painting, which continues the recursion to infinity.

Each level of the recursive painting has its own space and time

Each higher level views the lower one as an ordinary picture, and relative to the higher level you become flat and unreal

The fifth horseman can influence the structure of the picture, climbing up the levels of its endless recursion, breaking out into the universe, and subsequently destroying it, leaving behind a void that will destroy itself

1-B high for infinite qualitative recursion, in which each higher level sees the previous one as a picture, and low 1-A for superiority over the painting

Recursion of Universes:

Universes multiply according to the principle of endless nesting dolls, multiplying in the form of particles, representing a virtual universe for subsequent

Infinite recursion low 1-A

Black book:

Reality is only a shadow of Orqwith, absorbing entire realities into itself, and having no boundaries

1-A for superiority over universe recursion

The basis of the universe:

The webspace is the foundation of all material universes

1-A

Kaleidoscope, Anathema, The Judgment Rock:

In Kaleidoscope there is no scale or perspective, space does not exist

The Judgment Rock is the axis around which time and space revolve

1-A for superiority over all lower structures

The Unknowable:

The Unknowable created the entire Dc multiverse by compressing his infinite self into the infinite and transcendental to the entire multiverse Ain Sof, which is only a drawing for him

In the case of comic book stories, it's the war between white page and ink. And who's to say that the page might want that particular story drawn on it? [laughs] What happens if the page is a bit pissed off at the story that's drawn on it? So I thought of the page as God. The idea being that the Overvoid – as we called it in Final Crisis - of the white page as a space is sort of God. And it's condensing stories out of itself because it finds inside its own gigantic white space, self-absorbed pristine consciousness, it finds this little stain or mark, this DC Multiverse somebody has 'drawn'. And it starts investigating, and it's just shocked with what it sees, with all the crazy activity and signifying going on in there. It then tries to protect itself from the seething contact with 'story' and imagines a race of beings, 'angels' or 'monitors' (another word for angel, of course) to function as an interface between its own giant eternal magnificence and this tiny, weird crawling anthill of life and significance that is the DC Multiverse.

The Unknowable/The Source/Overvoid 1-A for superiority over the entire cosmological structure of Dc

Source: Doom patrol v2

Agree: Minos_the_Judge, Im_Jason_Voorhees

Disagree:

Last edited:
Yeah things within the pertinent runs could scale but I'm not sure anything significant scales to this.
This is part of the reason why not all of Morrison's works fit together or with other writers expanding Morrison's cosmology.

It's unfortunate that Doom Patrol's cosmology is not included in DC's cosmology page and Morrison's Doom patrol version also needs continuity with other comics to build its cosmology to perfection.

It's unfortunate that Doom Patrol's cosmology is not included in DC's cosmology page and Morrison's Doom patrol version also needs continuity with other comics to build its cosmology to perfection.
Well, it's pretty obscure. I don't know if it's significant enough to warrant it's own section in the cosmology blog. The problem with a lot of Morrison's older stuff is the lack of continuity with anything else, even Grant's own works.

I'm also not persuaded that the painting situation represents infinite R>F layers or even universe sized structures.

Well, it's pretty obscure. I don't know if it's significant enough to warrant it's own section in the cosmology blog. The problem with a lot of Morrison's older stuff is the lack of continuity with anything else, even Grant's own works.
Well you're right a lot of Morrison's work is inconsistent in terms of continuity but as long as the setting of the story has a clear connection (both narratively and in terms of the place story) we can certainly combine them although I don't guarantee it's 100% successful.

I'm also not persuaded that the painting situation represents infinite R>F layers or even universe sized structures.
Infinite recursive is just supporting evidence for a higher level of reality in Animal Man comics, not evidence that there is a multiverse layering world.

Grant like what he did with Animal established something but he wasn't there till the end of it. I doubt some of these ideas were his rather what's been added from what he built.

This isn't about Animal Man though. These are all from Doom Patrol
I know but infinite recrusive is just a further scan to explain the higher level of reality on Animal man (in a sense, that's just further explaining a level of reality that Morrison never explained in the comic). But whatever it's i want to get back to the topic this thread.

Recrusive maening relating to or involving the repeated application of a rule, definition, or procedure to successive results.
"this restriction ensures that the grammar is recursive".
But this one with another levels.

So, i'm Neutral

It is indicated as infinite, and when you move to the next level, you go from two-dimensional to three-dimensional

It doesn't really say that. It just says "spatial construction" without any other context. I would assume these paintings are at the very minimum small spatial pocket dimensions.
If you consider the underlying layer or level as a picture, then the size of the structure within that picture does not matter

Why? This is Morrison's work
Doom patrol #85 was not written by Morrison but it was written by Rachel, Morrison only wrote Doom patrol until #62 So you can't use it for cosmology additions.

It is indicated as infinite, and when you move to the next level, you go from two-dimensional to three-dimensional
You misunderstood that part, Infinite recursive is only supporting evidence for a higher level of reality in Animal Man about the interconnection of minds which is never explained how many levels of reality there are in the comic, not evidence that there is a layering world in the multiverse like an higher world looking at the lower world as a painting.

Doom patrol #85 was not written by Morrison but it was written by Rachel, Morrison only wrote Doom patrol until #62 So you can't use it for cosmology additions.
He used the Unknowable in his works
You misunderstood that part, Infinite recursive is only supporting evidence for a higher level of reality in Animal Man about the interconnection of minds which is never explained how many levels of reality there are in the comic, not evidence that there is a layering world in the multiverse like an higher world looking at the lower world as a painting.
We are talking specifically about the recursive structure of the picture, within which there is an infinite number of levels, the highest which considers the lower as a picture. This is precisely the inner world of the picture, and not some kind of metaphorical (where did this even come from) confirmation that the entire multiverse is a comic book

He used the Unknowable in his works
Like how Lucifer has been mentioned in several work and not all of them are the same.
We are talking specifically about the recursive structure of the picture, within which there is an infinite number of levels, the highest which considers the lower as a picture. This is precisely the inner world of the picture, and not some kind of metaphorical (where did this even come from) confirmation that the entire multiverse is a comic book
That doesn't seem to be what was depicted but sure.

What should we do here?
Personally I don't think anything needs to be done here. We've long recognized that we cannot incorporate Morrison's older works into the Crisis Cosmology, and "90s Doom Patrol Cosmology" doesn't warrant it's own section or page.

If someone makes profiles for characters that would potentially scale to this information, then a more thorough investigation could be had. I don't think this is infinite layers of R>F, because the "real" Paris isn't described as being the "top" of the hierarchy, it's just described as "somewhere in there" in the various painting levels. I think this is more or less just a maze, not infinite layers of higher reality. But that is neither here nor there since even if it is infinite levels no profiles scale to it and the cosmology can't be updated to that effect.

This is precisely the inner world of the picture, and not some kind of metaphorical (where did this even come from) confirmation that the entire multiverse is a comic book
That was from the beginning a metaphor for the depiction R>F level of reality, the level of reality reflects a dream/idea of the people. it can be seen in this scan that all members the doom patrol are in the surrealist level of painting, sleepwalk says that the level is the world of the fifth horseman that she dreams of. the next panel also reinforces the reflection of the level of reality where each new level provides something else that is needed by utilizing the power of ideas.

This is similar to the interconnection from Animal Man where the universe is vast and interconnected where every part contains the whole. Where the universe is a mirror reflecting itself.

That was from the beginning a metaphor for the depiction R>F level of reality, the level of reality reflects a dream/idea of the people. it can be seen in this scan that all members the doom patrol are in the surrealist level of painting, sleepwalk says that the level is the world of the fifth horseman that she dreams of. the next panel also reinforces the reflection of the level of reality where each new level provides something else that is needed by utilizing the power of ideas.
In the comic itself, the painting was drawn by an artist, and its strength and structure was created by the Fifth Horseman's imprisonment within it. If we're talking about artistic metaphor, then Morrison hinted that everything in this world recurses

Personally I don't think anything needs to be done here. We've long recognized that we cannot incorporate Morrison's older works into the Crisis Cosmology, and "90s Doom Patrol Cosmology" doesn't warrant it's own section or page.

If someone makes profiles for characters that would potentially scale to this information, then a more thorough investigation could be had. I don't think this is infinite layers of R>F, because the "real" Paris isn't described as being the "top" of the hierarchy, it's just described as "somewhere in there" in the various painting levels. I think this is more or less just a maze, not infinite layers of higher reality. But that is neither here nor there since even if it is infinite levels no profiles scale to it and the cosmology can't be updated to that effect.
You contradict yourself by first splits the cosmologies of the authors, and then splits the works of the authors within his cosmology. Although there are no reasons other than personal desire to do this

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back