• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Attempting to debunk Super Mario 64 power star (yet again!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
According to here Power Stars were used to create worlds in paintings, but if this thread hasn't made itself clear I'm hear to tell everyone that isn't really the case

Now the points that I'm going to bring up were addressed in previous Mario CRTs over a year ago, but those threads became such big toxic messes that they got lost in the shuffle

I'd rather though attempt to try again with a scalpel than a sledgehammer this time

Now the sources that we use of the game and guide definitely do cite power stars are being able to create world, but if you actually decide to dig deeper to uncover the Japanese text of Mario 64, you find out that's not exactly the case.

Mistranslations happen all the time, and Mario 64 came out when it was rampant. I have two translations of the orignal Japanese text, I'll give the translation and the sources below:

Great! You came! Princess Peach and we are locked inside the wall

Bowser is trying to create a monster world inside the wall and the pictures by using power starts! Get them (the starts) back!

When you get few stars back, the door will open. Search the 4 rooms on the first floor!

First, you can go into the first room on the left. This room eluded the seal!

When you retrieve 8 stars, you can open big start door. Princess peach must be in there!

first page:Bowser used power star to create kingdom of monsters inside walls and paintings.Recapture the stars!

second page:After a few stars recaptured,you can open Bowser's closed doors.Please search 4 rooms at a time and proceed.

third page:First of all, go to the room with Bob-omb painting on your left.Only this room's seal is removed.

last page:8 power stars are required to open the big star door.Without question,princess peach is just inside!

So as we see above here the translations don't support that Bowser is actually creating worlds inside the paintings but more of going inside and either establishing a kingdom in the worlds of the paintings or converting those worlds into his own image.

This invalidates not only the translation we rely on, but also the guide as well since Nintendo Power is an English source that relies on English translations. And unless anyone in the chat is willing to go buy the Japanese Version, the best option would be to dump out the current guide statement.

To hammer in my point more in the original Japanese text, there is no mention of せかい/world or かい/world, Toad only said 'カイブツのくに' which means 'Monster Kingdom'

Also to hammer in my point even more these worlds within the paintings have their own histories like Bob-Omb battlefield, Occum's Razor would suggest that these worlds existed beforehand and Bowser invaded and took them over instead of creating them outright. You would have to make so many leaps and bounds in logic to justify how Bowser can create worlds with their own histories, it's not like Bowser is the Visionary or Alien X.

Leave your comments below on whether you agree or not.

Last edited:
I agree with OPs post, unless another translation can be found in game to disprove it.

I agree with OPs post, unless another translation can be found in game to disprove it.
And I'm still sticking by it because the kanji for 'つくりあげる'/to create and 'つくろう'/to fix are completely different even if they sound/appear similar

'つくりあげる'/'作り上げる' and 'つくろう'/'繕う'

Didn't Dino literally open up on This thread to only use English localizations from now on? This kind of hurts the OP's only real source.
Which is odd since it is a Japanese game series and considering how localizations can change what was originally there, that might not been a good idea unless the localization match up with fan translations, then it is a different story altogether.

The problem is that we have no good reasons to assume that unofficial fan translators have better grasp of the Japanese language than the official ones that Nintendo employs.

Well, we do give more priority to the original language of the developers (in this case Japanese) than the one we're familiar with (English) as the former is generally what's most canon. Now if we can't even trust fan-translations, that's just a site-wide issue and shouldn't be applied only to this series for the sake of consistency, unless such fan-translations were proved to be inaccurate to begin with.

The problem is that we have no good reasons to assume that unofficial fan translators have better grasp of the Japanese language than the official ones that Nintendo employs.
The problem with all of this case is because the official translators usually adapts the language to make a proper context of the wording, but it can change the whole feat exactly due wording, not to mention that several others japanese verses have poor official translations, like Black Lightning being translated to Faster than Light attack

Well, we do give more priority to the original language of the developers (in this case Japanese) than the one we're familiar with (English) as the former is generally what's most canon. Now if we can't even trust fan-translations, that's just a site-wide issue and shouldn't be applied only to this series for the sake of consistency, unless such fan-translations were proved to be inaccurate to begin with.
Well, we do have a rule related to this in our translation requests thread, but the post quoted below makes a good point.
The problem with all of this case is because the official translators usually adapts the language to make a proper context of the wording, but it can change the whole feat exactly due wording, not to mention that several others japanese verses have poor official translations, like Black Lightning being translated to Faster than Light attack

I mean, there are others also calling the translations themselves like really bad because the results aren't even giving good grammar. Plus, for far too long have numerous people actually from Japan also seem to be conflicting each other when attempting to translate from Japanese to English. And a lot of translations have been fabricated to either wank or downplay a lot of verses. Plus, even Nintendo of Japan actually encourages NA localizations to actually be seen as them actually having permission to make their interpretations canon. Which also could effect other Nintendo verses as a certain other one I think we all know which one I'm talking about. Plus, as Dino said, it's not like 4KidsTV they aren't even the same studio that made the original animation, but Nintendo is still the same company through and through.

I said in the OP that mistranslations in official material happen all of the time and were very prevalent when 64 came out.

This is an egregious example:

Seriously, should we really rely on localizations that came out at least 20 years ago? They might as well be outdated

And the Japanese word for “to create” does not appear in the original text anyway, only the word for “to fix”, so I still stand by my argument

I mean, there are others also calling the translations themselves like really bad because the results aren't even giving good grammar. Plus, for far too long have numerous people actually from Japan also seem to be conflicting each other when attempting to translate from Japanese to English. And a lot of translations have been fabricated to either wank or downplay a lot of verses. Plus, even Nintendo of Japan actually encourages NA localizations to actually be seen as them actually having permission to make their interpretations canon. Which also could effect other Nintendo verses as a certain other one I think we all know which one I'm talking about. Plus, as Dino said, it's not like 4KidsTV they aren't even the same studio that made the original animation, but Nintendo is still the same company through and through.
Yes. We should preferably have very good reasons for rejecting official translations to favour fan translations instead. Otherwise we can easily fall victims to unreliable wank or downplay.

We should preferably have very good reasons for rejecting official translations to favour fan translations instead
I gave several good reasons in the OP why we shouldn't trust the official translation we use, I just personally can't believe that they keep getting ignored, I'll list them down here just to save the trouble:
  1. The official translation we refer to as of now is over 25 years old at this point, the 80's and 90's were a time when mistranslations were very rampant at that time, so can we really trust an old translation to scale power? On our site alone we constantly make updates to previous calculations, we should be doing the same with our translations official or otherwise
  2. Basic Occum's Razor, even though Bowser is currently marked as Extraordinary Genius, from reading his page it seems out of his realm of expertise to create worlds/realms with entire histories to them like Bob-omb battlefield, seriously though is Bowser now Alien X or something in the translation?
  3. If you look at the original Japanese text below, you will see that the Japanese word for 'to create' which is 'つくりあげる' is not present, instead 'つくろう' or 'to fix' is

If anyone still doesn't believe me (which is getting ridiculous at this point) I'll at least do a solid and try to get the page I referenced in this comment translated again, along with showing the official translation to compare and my doubts about it to the translators

Last edited:
I gave several good reasons in the OP why we shouldn't trust the official translation we use, I just personally can't believe that they keep getting ignored, I'll list them down here just to save the trouble:
  1. The official translation we refer to as of now is over 25 years old at this point, the 80's and 90's were a time when mistranslations were very rampant at that time, so can we really trust an old translation to scale power? On our site alone we constantly make updates to previous calculations, we should be doing the same with our translations official or otherwise
  2. Basic Occum's Razor, even though Bowser is currently marked as Extraordinary Genius, from reading his page it seems out of his realm of expertise to create worlds/realms with entire histories to them like Bob-omb battlefield, seriously though is Bowser now Alien X or something in the translation?
  3. If you look at the original Japanese text below, you will see that the Japanese word for 'to create' which is 'つくりあげる' is not present, instead 'つくろう' or 'to fix' is

If anyone still doesn't believe me (which is getting ridiculous at this point) I'll at least do a solid and try to get the page I referenced in this comment translated again, along with showing the official translation to compare and my doubts about it to the translators

Agree here..

This is very usual with very old games, as example old official translations from Godzilla games usually change wording that affects and change the translation.

It usually happens the same with other Japanese franchises

I've rethought my 3rd argument for the translation:

I think it's better to say that in the original Japanese text, there is no mention of せかい/world or かい/world, Toad only said 'カイブツのくに' which means 'Monster Kingdom'

Another problem is that like English, Japanese is also full of ambiguous words with extremely flexible definitions. In they also have dictionaries flexible in different ways than our own. To build/fix has flexible meanings than can also mean create. And calling them "Monster Kingdom" doesn't really mean anything regarding the size or status creation; there exist plenty of planetary realms and universe sized kingdoms throughout fiction. And 3D All Stars also describes the same painting realms as "Worldwide Dimensions" and have their own day/night cycles separate form the Mushroom Kingdom. So they clearly are their own bodies of spaces; including the starry skies,

But anyway, since Dino was the one who made it a strict rule that in Mario's case, we only stick to English localizations in which other staff members agreed. Which I don't fully support the approach myself, but understand his better reasons. This seems like the type of thread that needs his input if this is the case. Also, the Galaxy level stuff is off topic for this thread and comes form other sources aka Grand Star's own consistent feats among other things.

@DarkDragonMedeus "Monster Kingdom" just means what it says on the tin, Bowser is going into the pictures and establishing a kingdom in them, he's not creating the worlds themselves. This is a question of whether Bowser is creating a box or something in the box, and my answer is that he's creating something in the box

As seen here Toad says that Bowser is 'trying to' create a kingdom with the power stars and we are to stop him, this probably implies that 'Monster Kingdoms' in the pictures are more in the middle of being established/taken over instead, a good example of this would be Bob-omb battlefield

That still doesn't address the other concern. Dino still seemed to want to enforce the English localizations; furthermore, dialogue has been updated in the DS remake in 2004 as well as the Nintendo Switch port in 2020. Both of which are localized and Dino would mostly likely say the Switch Port version from 3D All Stars is the most up to date version.

That still doesn't address the other concern. Dino still seemed to want to enforce the English localizations; furthermore, dialogue has been updated in the DS remake in 2004 as well as the Nintendo Switch port in 2020. Both of which are localized and Dino would mostly likely say the Switch Port version from 3D All Stars is the most up to date version.
Even if we still use the localization, should we really just base everything off of one throw away statement that doesn't affect the game? We don't see get to see Bowser himself creating these worlds in the paintings and Toad's statement could also be explained by matter of perspective. And again, these worlds within the paintings have their own histories like Bob-Omb battlefield along with NPCs who try to help Mario, Occum's Razor would suggest that these worlds existed beforehand and Bowser invaded and took them over instead of creating them outright. You would have to make so many leaps and bounds in logic to justify how Bowser can create worlds with their own histories. And why would Bowser make minions to support Mario, he's basically sabotaging himself.

I'd personally like to see some more proof that Bowser is creating these worlds instead of seeing the same thing again and again

Medeus makes sense to me above.

It would be best if @Dino_Ranger_Black could help us out here, but he has not visited this forum for a while.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back