• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Arc Comes Home With The Milk [Bleach Soul Society Arc Captain Class Scaling]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Addressing Comparisons and Sokyoku Assumptions:

Before stating my main contentions with Damage’s counter arguments, specifically his points against our claim about the Sokyoku being at full-power during its interaction with Ichigo. I wish to address a few arguments proposed by Damage regarding the calculation side of this debate. Now I'm not knowledgeable myself on calcs but what I’m addressing isn't dependent on having such knowledge.

Damage's Argument:

Intense heat could lead to explosions, but not necessarily.

Case in point being Bankai Yamamoto's 15,000,000 degrees heat which can passively vaporize other fighters in his vicinity... but he isn't generating massive explosions with his raw heat.

Nor is an explosion the only means of destruction possible from a source of intense heat; a sufficient amount of heat over a sufficient amount of time would destroy all of the buildings of Seireitei, wipe out every last citizen and render the land uninhabitable - all of which would satisfy the condition for Seireitei to be "destroyed" by the fictitious enemy without requiring a single, devastating explosion.

If we focus on the two most relevant statements for the Sokyoku's AP here:

Aizen's letter: "The one who plotted Rukia's execution intends to use the Sokyoku to destroy not only the Seireitei, but the entire Soul Society as well."

Aizen's speech; "The Konpaku can be made to evaporate by a super high intensity thermal disruption, such as the Sokyoku..."

Now, from my perspective, a 'high intensity thermal disruption' simply means a significant amount of heat. Which makes sense since the effects on the Konpaku is that the Konpaku will "evaporate" and the true form of the Sokyoku is a phoenix-like fiery bird.

Now, could just a significant amount of heat destroy the Seireitei, let alone the Soul Society? Well, yes, I believe it could as I explained just up above. But for precedent on this, we can return to the case of Yamamoto's Bankai.

Yamamoto's Bankai has been stated to inevitably destroy Soul Society, as explained in this calc, through an insane amount of heat and there is no requirement to assume that an explosion is involved here.

First Damage makes a point on our assumption regarding the attack method of The Sokyoku, saying just because an attack generates “high intensity thermal disruption” doesn’t mean it’ll inherently generate an explosion, using Yamamoto’s Bankai heat as an example of this not happening. Now my problem with this example is the fact these aren’t comparable situations at all.

Comparing the passive heat generated by Yamamoto’s Bankai (which isn’t concentrated or released in a singular burst of energy) to that of the way The Sokyoku attacks (which is a singular concentrated burst of energy at the tip of the bird’s beak) doesn't make any sense, these aren't comparable situations. They don't even attack the same way, this is just a bad example all around.

A more app’d comparison would be that of Yamamoto’s Shikai flames being released in a singular, concentrated burst of energy after being absorbed by Wonderweiss, and in the scans provided you can clearly see it generates a large, fiery explosion when released. Just like how The Sokyoku does after having its own attack blocked by Ichigo. Clearly releasing a fiery explosion after attacking something.

This provides evidence for our assertion on which method of destruction we should assume regarding the implied destruction of the Seireitei, since it clearly shows The Sokyoku generates explosions when attacking, meaning we would use the ground-based explosion formula instead of vaporization formula despite the fact The Sokyoku's "true form" is entirely comprised of fire.

So hopefully the discussion regarding which end should be used will stop, because we have direct evidence of our interpretation being true while Damage has nothing supporting his, his best pieces of evidence are possibilities and unsupported interpretations. Which are innately lesser than direct, canonical evidence.

Sealing Point:

Damage's Argument:

I think you make a good point here, but you've already provided an alternative explanation to "The power of the Sokyoku's true form when executing a prisoner is the same as when destroying the Seireitei."

The Sokyoku is only unsealed when a prisoner is due to be executed. If the fictitious enemy was going to steal and use the Sokyoku at all, it would have to be when Rukia is going to be executed. Speculating that "They'd steal it at this point because this is when it can destroy the Seireitei" is unnecessary if this is the only time they can steal it.

Just because The Sokyoku is only unsealed when it’s executing a prisoner doesn’t mean this fictitious enemy can only acquire The Sokyoku when it’s unsealed, that doesn’t inherently follow, I can make similar probability claims like this just fine, maybe it’s because it would be the most opportune time to grab The Sokyoku, because it’s when The Sokyoku is at its strongest (when it’s in its true form), and if this fictitious enemy’s main motive is destroying the Seireitei, having The Sokyoku at its strongest would directly help the acceleration this motive more compared to gaining The Sokyoku while it’s at its weakest.

We’re both making comparable probability claims, but only while viewing this specific situation in a vacuum, looking at more context makes my interpretation more likely compared to your interpretation via Occam's Razor.

“True Form” Point:

Damage's Argument:

I don't doubt that when the Sokyoku is in it's Firebird King phase, or the phoenix form, then that it when it could unleash its "full power". But the issue is in how the Sokyoku is used, not just what state it is in when it being used.

Ichigo in his "True Zanpakuto" form is in his most powerful form compared to before, but he can still unleash tiny casual Getsuga Tensho in this state and he can launch more powerful attacks than this if he wished. Same form, two different applications of his power with different levels of potency depending on what he is doing.

Also you say "It's 1 million Zanpakuto power" is what can destroy Seireitei, but I don't think it was stated that its base form of "1 million Zanpakuto" is what is capable of destroying Seireitei.

This entire point is contingent on if you believe that The Sokyoku released its fullpower against Ichigo or not, so in this point i’ll compile all the evidence which support this interpretation while also addressing any possible counters towards said interpretations.

One; it’s in general, while in this form The Sokyoku has the power behind its strikes multiplied dozens of times over, as when it’s “executing a prisoner” it turns itself into its “true form”. Meaning that regardless if you believe it released its fullpower against Ichigo or not, its power is amplified by that much every time.

Second; When released, The Sokyoku generates an enormous amount of spiritual pressure, which is distinctively above that of its own baseline state that we’ve seen in the series, meaning the power behind The Sokyoku objectively increases when released.

Third; While it’s in its “true form” the power released by The Sokyoku is hyped up of being capable of “overwhelming everything in existence”, now we all agree that the “overwhelming everything in existence”, as in it’s capable of that level of destruction is absurd and should absolutely be treated as hyperbolic. But discarding the statement entirely because of that is foolish as the actual implications behind the “state of power” The Sokyoku has while in that form isn’t absurd or contradicted.

The implication that while in this “true form” it generates massive amounts of power, to the point it’s hyped up to be capable of “overwhelming everything in existence” shouldn’t be ignored, as it supports our interpretation of The Sokyoku’s “fullpower” being released against Ichigo since it's releasing power capable of "overwhelming everything in existence", which would only make sense narratively if it was in reference towards The Sokyoku's true power, this is especially true since the version of The Sokyoku which is referenced to have power capable of “overwhelming everything in existence” is the version that Ichigo blocks, hell the image connected to this text is literally the version of The Sokyoku that Ichigo casually blocked.

Fourth; The statement regarding the destruction of The Sokyoku heavily implies the version of The Sokyoku Ichigo blocks is the version which is capable of that level of destruction, and I'll explain why in my main counter argument against Damage’s contention with this assumption.

Addressing Damage’s Main Contention and Takka Refutation:

Damage's Argument:

I can see how you could infer that the Execution Stand could block the Sokyoku at its max power, but technically the statement is just that the Execution Stand could block the destructive power of 1 million Zanpakuto.

Since it is only used to withstand the Sokyoku when the Sokyoku is executing prisoners, then if the Sokyoku's AP during executions is lesser than its AP when destroying the Seireitei or the Soul Society then there isn't much reaosn to scale the Execution Stand to the latter.

Damage’s main contention with assuming the version of The Sokyoku that Ichigo blocked was its “full power” is because he believes The Sokyoku’s power can be actively manipulated by another, meaning it’s possible The Sokyoku didn’t release its fullpower against Ichigo. Now my contention with this argument is that it isn't supported by the text itself, nor is it supported by the previous evidence I’ve laid out above.

Damage is making the assumption that The Sokyoku’s power output can be directly controlled or manipulated by another, but this is never shown or proven, what is shown is that The Sokyoku has a baseline power-level of 1 Million Zanpaktou, which is amplified dozens of times over when attacking, and when attacking it transforms into its “true form”. This shows a static baseline and a static increase, this doesn't imply this static baseline and static increase can be controlled or manipulated. It would be more assumptive to assume one can actively manipulate the amount of power behind The Sokyoku attacks, regardless of which state when.
  1. It’s never stated or shown that anyone or anything could do something like that.
  2. It’s directly contradicted by multiple pieces of evidence.
Damage is making unneeded assumptions about the mechanics behind The Sokyoku which aren't logical and directly antithetical to Occam's Razor, we shouldn’t be making unneeded and unsupported assumptions when not needed. If we’re shown multiple pieces of evidence which support one singular interpretation compared to another, we should all agree that interpretation is innately better than the unsupported one (I hope we would at least).

The Takka point is also debunked by the fact.
  1. it did tank an attack from The Sokyoku
  2. The Sokyoku does release its true power when attacking, and the Takka is directly stated to be capable of blocking that attack.
So I'm not going to spend more time addressing this point when I’ve indirectly addressed it in this, and the above points.

Powerscaling Point:

Damage brings up multiple points in this section, and I'll address each separately.

While you're right that we cannot label the Sokyoku as off-guard or nerfed, that is not quite the same thing as assuming that the normal usage of the Sokyoku is representative of its full power.

The normal usage of The Sokyoku is its full-power as explained above, so this point isn’t applicable anymore. We’ll assume it’s its full-power because everything points to it being its full-power.

Consider please that the Sokyoku's stated upper limits involve the destruction of the Seireitei itself if not the entire Soul Society. Even if we did make the assumption that this expression of its full power would take the form of a colossal explosion extendings for hundreds of kilometers in every direction... Isn't that scenario a sufficient reason for the Sokyoku to be used with some restraint when executing prisoners? You're assuming that the Sokyoku is functionally no different than a bomb which has one expression of power - a detonation that is consistent and unchanging. This is not necessarily the case as we've been told that the Sokyoku can be used for other purposes such as for mass destruction instead of the specific killing of an individual Soul Reaper.

While it can be asserted that because the destructive capability of The Sokyoku is immense, they would restrain the power of The Sokyoku while it’s killing prisoners, but this only a singular interpretation of the evidence when multiple other interpretations of equal value exist, which is my main contention against this claim.

There’s other equally possible interpretations which exist that support our claim while addressing this possibility proposed by Damage, maybe when it’s executing a prisoner it concentrates all the power behind its strike into a singular spot, such as the beak to decrease the amount of area of effect the attack would have. Nothing innately disproves this assumption, it’s even arguably supported by the fact the captains present, even knowledgeable ones on the capabilities of The Sokyoku are completely fine allowing prisoners being executed inside the Seireitei, possibly indicating they ain’t worried about the AOE generated by The Sokyoku’s attack, or maybe it’s because the Takka dampens the natural AOE behind The Sokyoku’s attacks, which is supported by the fact the Takka’s directly stated to have equal durability to The Sokyoku’s attack potency, which would give it a similar dampening effect to Ichigo's blocking of The Sokyoku.

Either interpretation is equally possible, and are both equally supported as your interpretation Damage, but this only when viewed in a vacuum, when given more context you’ll see that these interpretations slowly but surely become more and more likely true while your interpretation becomes less and less likely true.

Now, I'm not saying it is impossible. It could be the case that the Sokyoku is releasing the same amount of power in either scenario and it is somehow containing the damage to just a single individual during executions. But it seems equally likely to me that the Sokyoku is just using a certain amount of power to execute a specific individual, and that if its target was a massively larger one (the entire city) then it could release more power to affect a larger target.

Still though, I can understand if you think it is more likely to be the former and that it will emit the same power no matter what the target is. My main issue at this point is with the method assumed for the calc.

These aren’t equal interpretations when given context, they just aren't, and I explained why in-depth in this exact post.

Conclusions:

Damage hasn’t logically addressed our claims, and the arguments he has proposed are filled with needless assumptions, unsupported claims and contradicted interpretations. Everything we have regarding The Sokyoku points to a singular interpretation, that The Sokyoku released its true power against Ichigo. Nothing contradicts this interpretation, everything supports it, other interpretations provided have either been less supported or directly contradicted.

Damage’s interpretations of these scans should be discarded because of these reasons, he’s evidently wrong on this point and should drop it.

This is my final post regarding this issue because if you’re still not convinced by this post then nothing will change your mind. It would be an exercise in futility on my part to try and convince you otherwise.

Last edited:
Deceived responds to everything I'd want to respond to so I won't bother saying the same thing twice. However I will reiterate the point that the Sokyoku being assumed full power is not only in line with valid powerscaling examples as per our own standards, but this was reaffirmed by a separate thread.
In our very own powerscaling page, under examples of viable powerscaling, it states the following: Character A performed a feat of destroying a City and has City level durability. Character B has overpowered, critically injured and is portrayed as physically superior to Character A. In this case, it is safe to assess that Character B has City level Attack Potency, despite not having feat of City destroying themselves. Now let me replace Character A and Character B with words from Bleach: The Sokyoku has performed a feat (is capable of performing said feat via statements) of destroying a Country and has Country level durability (the Takka). Ichigo has overpowered, critically injured and is portrayed as physically superior to the Sokyoku and Takka. In this case, it is safe to assess that Ichigo has Country level Attack Potency, despite not having feat of Country destroying themselves. You see how seamlessly this Ichigo-Sokyoku scaling fits in with the example of what viable powerscaling is? We assume a character (Sokyoku in this case) scales to their normal/full levels of power unless we are given a reason to assume otherwise (they're off guard, nerfed, weakened, etc.), as per the conclusions of this thread. As for the Sokyoku, we have no reason to assume it was nerfed at all, when it specifically is stated to amp itself beyond it's baseline power when executing a Soul Reaper (aka what it was doing when Ichigo blocked it).

Otherwise Deceived did a great job in refuting the opposition, and I share his sentiments wholeheartedly.

While I'm fine conceding on the scaling point in regards to Deceived's post, I still believe the Calc side to be flawed.

I will await more input from other Calc Group Members before I leave another argument.

On the topic of the calc, I think the vap end is fine. And I've reconsidered my position on the scaling. I think majority of the captains and ichigo scale with Soifon being a likely or possibly, Chad being likely with his suicide attack.

Aight so KLOL has evaluated the sokyoku calc and approved the explosion formula method as substantiated. So that is 3 CGM finding the calc to be fine vs 1 CGM disagreeing.

I won’t rush conclusions here but I’ll ask if we can begin wrapping this thread up. It’s been open for a while and I don’t believe much new discourse will arise, rather it’ll be arguing in circles. Ofc if people have contentions they still wish to argue, that’s also fine by me.

Aight so KLOL has evaluated the sokyoku calc and approved the explosion formula method as substantiated. So that is 3 CGM finding the calc to be fine vs 1 CGM disagreeing.

I won’t rush conclusions here but I’ll ask if we can begin wrapping this thread up. It’s been open for a while and I don’t believe much new discourse will arise, rather it’ll be arguing in circles. Ofc if people have contentions they still wish to argue, that’s also fine by me.
Where's the milk? I looked and couldn't find it.

I've asked for DontTalk's input, though that may take a bit of time.

I would just note that KLOL evaluating the calc as being okay doesn't mean he has read any of the arguments on here for or against it.

I've asked for DontTalk's input, though that may take a bit of time.
Got an ETA?

Worst case scenario a separate thread could always be made to evaluate the calc again.

Also, I won’t be applying the changes to profiles until I finish the verse wide revisions, rather I’ll blog them for the time being. Because I don’t feel like updating all the profiles only to potentially re update all of them again, I’d rather just apply all the changes at once.

But I don’t think it’s fair to hold this thread up forever if DT isn’t available to do anything any time soon.

I would just note that KLOL evaluating the calc as being okay doesn't mean he has read any of the arguments on here for or against it.
I made sure to send him the posts regarding the calc method don’t worry. He’s most certainly seen it. The reason he didn’t comment in here is because he doesn’t want to involve himself heavily in HST threads. Hence he left his evaluation on the calc so no one would harass him in thread. I’ll send DM screenshots if people don’t believe, but he has seen the thread.

I don’t mind waiting like two days until the weekend concludes. But like if he’s MIA longer than that, I don’t think it’s unreasonable of me to ask that it be brought up later in a separate thread when he’s free, rather than indefinitely hold up this thread that’s been open for a good two weeks.

I don’t mind waiting like two days until the weekend concludes. But like if he’s MIA longer than that, I don’t think it’s unreasonable of me to ask that it be brought up later in a separate thread when he’s free, rather than indefinitely hold up this thread that’s been open for a good two weeks.

Sure.

Here's the accepted scaling based on the conclusions of this thread. A single pointed arrow represents some kind of greater than scaling (>, >~, >=), and a doubled pointed arrow represents some kind of equal scaling (=, ~). Keep in mind people like Yama, Aizen, and Unohana aren't getting some weird 6-B keys, since we all know they are actually way stronger as revealed later, this scaling web just doesn't include anything other SS arc Captain and Sokyoku scaling.
Sokyoku_Scaling.jpg

I'm going to make a sandbox that includes the actual scaling justifications and rewrites here soon, but figured this would be sumn easy to follow visually first. I'm also thinking of including this in the scaling notes of the Bleach verse page, because I think it would be easier to follow than how we currently say in bullet points "Characters who scale to X are Y tons of tnt".

Here's the accepted scaling based on the conclusions of this thread. A single pointed arrow represents some kind of greater than scaling (>, >~, >=), and a doubled pointed arrow represents some kind of equal scaling (=, ~). Keep in mind people like Yama, Aizen, and Unohana aren't getting some weird 6-B keys, since we all know they are actually way stronger as revealed later, this scaling web just doesn't include anything other SS arc Captain and Sokyoku scaling.
Sokyoku_Scaling.jpg

I'm going to make a sandbox that includes the actual scaling justifications and rewrites here soon, but figured this would be sumn easy to follow visually first. I'm also thinking of including this in the scaling notes of the Bleach verse page, because I think it would be easier to follow than how we currently say in bullet points "Characters who scale to X are Y tons of tnt".
Screen_Shot_2020-07-24_at_11.33.38_AM.jpg

Are we sure about solid ratings for Gin/Toshiro/Mayuri? Their connection to the Sokyoku scaling chain isn't that strong if the only link presently is Shikai Gin stabbing a defeated base Byakuya.

Are we sure about solid ratings for Gin/Toshiro/Mayuri? Their connection to the Sokyoku scaling chain isn't that strong if the only link presently is Shikai Gin stabbing a defeated base Byakuya.
Idk if I’d say they’re “solid” since they’re “at most” ratings. I originally proposed a downscale to baseline but the majority, at least atm, wanted at most instead of baseline downscale.

Edit: I’m flexible to interpretations. Idk if we can combine partial ratings with at most, or if that’s redundant

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back