• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

When did Goku block an intangible attack?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Schnee_One

VS Battles
Retired
Can someone point out when Goku blocked Hit's Heart attack? Because I'm pretty sure he didn't and was physically affected by it, he simply avoided the attack and dodged it.

Also, does blocking an intangible attack mean he can hit one? Because I'm pretty sure it doesn't.

"Also, does blocking an intangible attack mean he can hit one? Because I'm pretty sure it doesn't."

You can visibly hit and effect an intangible thing. Why CAN'T you hit an intangible being? You displayed the capacity to HIT something intagible.

Anyways, pretty sure it was this

this: https://youtu.be/G_aDCrVi3WI?t=31s

These attacks are supposed to phase through traditional enemy defenses and hit vital points. Goku is smacking them and preventing Hit from doing such a thing quickly.

Because those attacks usually do this, completely ignoring the enemy's defense.

https://youtu.be/s4EolLJ4Bdk?t=24s

We also know it isn't a piercing attack as if it was, it'd have made a hole straight through Goku instead of making a crater in his chest. A piercing attack example would be the PIS Ring Lazer from RoF.

I'd argue that a true intangible attack wouldn't have left any outside damage at all rather than leave a crater.

Saikou The Lewd King said:
I'd argue that a true intangible attack wouldn't have left any outside damage at all rather than leave a crater.
<Thinks a bit

Huh....

As said on Hit's profile, he can selectively phase through things. It is able to completely bypass the skin/Ki defense of Goku and directly hit his vitals. If Goku was completely incapable of hitting intangibles, Hit's attacks would've phased straight through Goku's hands and blocks and just go straight to his vitals again.

I'm questioning if it's truly intangible or not. You simply saying that it left a crater instead of a hole doesn't actually help your argument there.

Although I do agree that Goku being unaffected by intangibility should let him hit and hurt intangible beings, although only ones intangible in a similar manner to Hit's attacks.

Gargoyle One said:
That's because of his Time Skip, that's why Goku couldn't hit him.
Actually, no. Goku already knows how to deal with Timeskip. What Hit was doing isn't Time Skip. He was literally in another dimension so Goku sees him, but is completely unable to hit him. It's more than "Intangibility" in the fact that you can't touch Hit, but more "I'm literally in another dimension". Goku bypassed this stronger form of Intangibility by breaking down Hit's dimension via CONSTIPATION CHARGE!!!

I'm questioning if it's truly intangible or not. You simply saying that it left a crater instead of a hole doesn't actually help your argument there.
Although I do agree that Goku being unaffected by intangibility should let him hit and hurt intangible beings, although only ones intangible in a similar manner to Hit's attacks.
Well yeah, Intangibility comes in many flavours. Although we don't actually know how Hit's intangibility attack works. His intangibility on his own body is different from the attack as Hit is in his own Pocket Dimension rather than any sort of phasing. Also why doesn't it? Every example of a piercing attack in dragon ball leaves holes. Freeza penetrating Piccolo, Ring Lazer from RoF, Kienzan in a larger scale, Special Beam Cannon, Dragon's Fist, and more. I mean, if you can find an explanation on how it hurt Goku's vital points without phasing and without directly damaging Goku like a piercing attack, I'd be happy to hear ye' out.

So you know how in DB hax can be overcome as strength and how we don't give DB characters resistance to all hax of people they are physically stronger than, only the ones they've shown? In this situation Goku was stronger and hit the intangibility hax out of the attack.

DragonEmperor23 said:
So you know how in DB hax can be overcome as strength and how we don't give DB characters resistance to all hax of people they are physically stronger than, only the ones they've shown? In this situation Goku was stronger and hit the intangibility hax out of the attack.
In-Universe, yeah. Basically this. But we don't accept that here so meh...

We accept the resistances that are shown. Like Goku has time stop resistance because he resisted Hit's time stop. Goku knocking the intangibility out of the attack works by the same logic.

I know Hit used a "truly intangible" attack which Jiren blocked. I forgot if he did the same against Goku though.

The fact that the attack can morph itself at will and isn't just a beam means it can easily do damage in specific targeted areas without leaving a giant gaping hole.

If the series does have an explanation outside of this one scene on how his power works, I'd be fine. Just seems a bit odd right now.

Matthew Schroeder said:
I kind agree with Saikou. This doesn't seem like true intangibility.
Why?

Phasing is intangibility. Can any of you give me reasons as to why it's NOT rather than simply saying "It doesn't SEEM like it..."

Every piercing attack in dragon ball makes a hole (Unless it's vastly more powerful, which would make lesser things explode like with the Mountain and Freeza's death beam). Hit's attack cannot be piercing for this reason. Yet it made Goku's chest cave in and killed Goku even with a full aura up.

Later Goku was blocking and redirecting these attacks repeatedly despite just before it being able to ignore Goku's defenses without even stopping.

Edit:

"The fact that the attack can morph itself at will and isn't just a beam means it can easily do damage in specific targeted areas without leaving a giant gaping hole."

... But it is just a beam. We see Hit use it for nothing but a beam-style attack. Also explain to me HOW this reasoning works? If it can morph itself to do damage to a target's internals without damaging the exterior, it's phasing through the exterior to attack the interior. Unless you're implying Hit's attacks can flat out just teleport inside the opponent.

I mean, the whole reason why it's Intangibility in the first place seems to be "It SEEMS like intangibility so it's probably that".

All those "piercing" attacks are just beams that go through stuff though. Hit's attacks viisbly aren't just beams or punches, they change shape and size, being far more targeted than just piercing with sheer strength. They even concentrate into a small point before attacking Goku.

I mean, the whole reason why it's Intangibility in the first place seems to be "It SEEMS like intangibility so it's probably that".
All those "piercing" attacks are just beams that go through stuff though. Hit's attacks viisbly aren't just beams or punches, they change shape and size, being far more targeted than just piercing with sheer strength. They even concentrate into a small point before attacking Goku.
That seems MUCH more unlikely than simply phasing. How does concentrating the beam to a small point cause Goku's entire chest to concave into itself? Why doesn't Hit do this to ignore Goku's blocking of these attacks?

And where do they change shape and size? It's never been shown to do that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pVWhAB_0pDA&t=3m11s

This attack is straight up intangible, and Jiren blocked it with his ki barrier. I think at the very least Hit should keep the ability to create intangible attacks, and Jiren should keep the ability to block them. I forgot whether or not Goku did anything similar in his fight with Hit.

Ryu, that's literally the same attack as Goku blocked in his fight against Hit. Look at the video above. Same attack.

We outright saw the attacks that didn't land on Goku phase through rocks and trees without affectingthem!

Goku himself said Hit can attack straight through objects and we saw Hit attacking Goku and Jiren straight through other stuff also. That passes the test for being intangible.

We also saw Jiren and Goku block the same attack. The only difference is that Jiren did it once and Goku did it thrice. So that's where it came from.

I agree with keeping the ability for Goku.

Shouldn't we just say "can harm intangible beings" instead of blocking intangible attacks?

IDK, the only time they actually hit an intangible being was when Goku, Vegeta and Trunks attacked Soul Zamasu and that was considered PIS. I personally don't think they can hit an intangible being and I think we should wait for it to actually happen on screen to add that ability. I think it is fine the way it is, for now.

Only kid trunks tried, I think.

Indeed. Only the child Trunks tried to hit the Ghost in that crossover; every other character never tried to physically attack him.

"IDK, the only time they actually hit an intangible being was when Goku, Vegeta and Trunks attacked Soul Zamasu and that was considered PIS."

Why would it be PIS if Goku and Jiren later blocked and lolnoped Hit's intangible attack? We accept Goku being able to block intangible attacks but not at all considering "Hey, maybe they just bypass intangibility in general"?

"I personally don't think they can hit an intangible being and I think we should wait for it to actually happen on screen to add that ability. I think it is fine the way it is, for now."

I'm just going to say, what the hell is with people in this logic? Being able to block intangible attacks means I can effect/touch things that are intangible. Being able to touch intangibles mean I can also touch intangibles really fast; also known as punching. Seriously what is the difference between being able to BLOCK intangibility and actually HITTING intangibility? You literally bypass the same ability both times.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back