• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

What is a verse you don't like, but the majority of people do like?

For me it's gotta be That Time I got Reincarnated as a Slime. People called it this revolutionary new Isekai. I just couldn't see it. I don't like Rimuru because I feel like he has no flaws whatsoever and is a complete Mary-Sue. This made the show super boring for me to watch. I don't really have a gaming verse that I don't like because I can't really think of a video game that I outright dislike. I wanna hear you guy's opinion on Slime and what verses you don't like but other people do.

There are a lot of verses that i dont care for that majority like. Though I think that anything I generally dislike would be mostly disliked by others as well, unless you bring in something like mlp.

Honestly I'm not a My Little Pony fan, but any franchise that can attract so many 20+ year old guys to it has my respect tbh.

Dies irae isnt really all that popular. Most of its current popularity im pretty sure stems from this wiki and vs debating. I can see why someone would have a negative view on the series at first glance. Though i havent played it yet lol.

I only really dislike mlp because of the show itself being a kids show which i wouldnt like to watch lol.

I guess Medaka Box. I mean, it's not bad but I was bored as hell and stopped on like, third episode

Also Nasuverse for the same reasons + the stupidity

@ChocomilkAlex
Do you make that evaluation only based on the anime or did you experience the story through any of the other media? Because the anime unfortunately leaves several things out, escpacially in regards to Light Novel volume 4, which brings most of the flaws of Rimuru to light. The anime basically skipped half of the content of that book, which includes exactly that.

NeoSuperior said:
@ChocomilkAlex
Do you make that evaluation only based on the anime or did you experience the story through any of the other media? Because the anime unfortunately leaves several things out, escpacially in regards to Light Novel volume 4, which brings most of the flaws of Rimuru to light. The anime basically skipped half of the content of that book, which includes exactly that.
I made the evaluation based on the anime. I thought it was a one to one adaptation for the most part. What are some of the flaws that Rimuru has?

Shingeki no Kyojin also, it's not like I don't like it, buuuut for me it's little bit overrated. I've seen people say this is the greatest series in fiction.

There is a version of Naruto done by fans without fillers, openings, endings and unnecessary flashbacks, but I didn't want to watch that tbh

SpookyShadow said:
Shingeki no Kyojin also, it's not like I don't like it, buuuut for me it's little bit overrated. I've seen people say this is the greatest series in fiction.
Gotta agree with you on that. Several of my friends keep telling me how it's the best anime in recent years and I don't really see the appeal. It's probably a good show but the overhype tends to ruin it for me.

Yeah, I hate when an anime gives you the same flashback that you saw several episodes ago for like a third of the episode.

Looking at YOU, One Piece

I might also talk about Kimetsu no Yaiba.

I do like this show and I have nothing with it, but sometimes it feels like people are overreacting the episode 19 and only had interest to the show because it trended on Twitter

I am not quite sure if I have a verse like that, if I do I can't remember at the moment

One piece: mainly because of overly histrionic monologues about the characters' own wallowing in emotional angst and over the top sappy and maudlin wailing and sobbing about "friendship".

And its characterization: I'm sorry, but I simply DO NOT agree with the overwhelming majority of the fanbase for Shonen that having various characters monologue endlessly about their deepest feelings constitutes "deep characterization". Its a device that CAN work SOMETIMES, sure: but not when its leaned on SO absurdly heavily throughout a gigantic, long series like this, and even less so when the emotions are laid on so ludicrously thick at all times.

Apart from being emotionally overbearing and beating the audience over the head with a character's personal issues like a cudgel, it treats the audience like simpletons and breaks one of the foremost rules of storytelling: show, don't tell. Rather than subtle yet impactful moments, we get characters break down into a crumpled mess of sobbing tears and bare their souls to one another in hamfisted, maudlin soliloquies.

Same goes for MHA but to a lesser degree

Well I try to not dislike any verse personally as no one ever makes a bad product on purpose. That being said I ain't too hot on MHA sadly, mostly cause there was some cosplayers of it at a convention near me that created con drama. >_>

Also not too hot on Undertale, not really my thing sadly.

For me it's sds it went downhill for me in quality around when power levels became a thing, and Warhammer 40k just feel like a lore verse, kinda boring honestly imo.

1) Dragon ball series:

Used to like it when I was very little, eventually outgrew it after realising how shitty the storyline is and frankly because I discovered far better shows.

2) Naruto:

Flashbacks which nobody cares about, generations paralleling each other (Hate this kind of setup), emo, weak execution of the ending, talk no jutsu, nakama bs (One Piece does it in a more meaningful way), several characters I liked became annoying very fast etc.

3) Bleach:

MC is not really interesting, without Aizen this series is worthless.

4) Seven deadly sins: The current arc is soo bad it's not even funny.

5) Fairy Tail: Nakama power............Also the sequel is just as bad, but for plot reasons.

Also I would like to mention that there are shows I have watched which have similarly bad plot/ending etc, but there are characters or many aspects of the show that I like, which prevent me from adding it here.

Btw is there an inverse of this thread somewhere? I feel I would have a better time thinking of stuff there

Don't exactly believe Rimuru is Mary-Sue, especially in the LN. WN I can kinda see what you mean, he is somewhat arrogant, but after Hinata he humbles himself. He takes quite a few losses, actually.

But to answer your question, nothing comes to mind.

Back