• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Vs battles wiki pet peeves

Status
Not open for further replies.
The VSWiki brainrot shit is hella real icl.

I'm in the process of trying to write a story now, not very far into it, and ALREADY I have to physically will myself not to write down some dumb ass powerscaling bullshit or describe feats in uncanny detail even when no normal writer would spend the time describing the radius and depth of a Crater down to the decimal point.
The worst part is losing sense of how much is an "acceptable level" explaining, so I write an idea down and then come back to it a day later like- "Did I really just write the ******* kinetic energy formula in the explanation?"

I hate when an idea like "Goliath King Crows raiding towns looking for shiny stuff" pops into my head, and my second thought is "If I Square-Cube Law GPE then how many joules?"

The worst part is losing sense of how much is an "acceptable level" explaining, so I write an idea down and then come back to it a day later like- "Did I really just write the ******* kinetic energy formula in the explanation?"

I hate when an idea like "Goliath King Crows raiding towns looking for shiny stuff" pops into my head, and my second thought is "If I Square-Cube Law GPE then how many joules?"
Ah yes, I just love it when I write an explanation about my story's power system and the thought that IMMEDIATELY pops into my head is "OH I WONDER WHAT HAX THIS IS HAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAH"

Ah yes, I just love it when I write an explanation about my story's power system and the thought that IMMEDIATELY pops into my head is "OH I WONDER WHAT HAX THIS IS HAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAH"
Oh God AP's bad enough- trying to avoid subconsciously giving a character haxes because you just find them cool whether or not it makes sense has been a killer. Like if I'm not careful I'm gonna give everyone and their grandma N-level Analytical Prediction.

...Probably related to how I recently finished The Boxer (20/10 No exaggeration, seriously y'all I don't regret spending 66 coins on Daily Passes it's incredible)

Yup we've all been infected by the VSBW brain rot, the best thing you can do now is to quarantine verses you like and enjoy. There's a few verses I enjoy in my own time but I NEVER engage with any discussions about them on the VSBW since that's how the brain rot spreads.
And that's exactly why I don't engage in other verses I like. I just enjoy watching/playing it instead.

One of the main reasons why I decided to engage with the Soul Calibur verse is because of how down bad the verse is right now, as well as the fact that there's hardly any supporters.

I'm in the process of trying to write a story now, not very far into it, and ALREADY I have to physically will myself not to write down some dumb ass powerscaling bullshit or describe feats in uncanny detail even when no normal writer would spend the time describing the radius and depth of a Crater down to the decimal point.
Why focus on joule crap when you can just make your characters have blatant tier 2 feats/scaling and avoid headaches : V

That said, making a character tier 1 is a headache to flow naturally, quite specific things are required and I don't need to explain how silly it sounds to constantly talk about infinities suddendly.

I don't know if this fits in this thread, but it gets annoying when you work on a verse, then suddenly get interested in another, so you start working on the 2nd verse, but when you go back to the 1st that you originally were working on, everything just feels wrong. It feels like your plans have been ruined and you want to start everything all over, completely from scratch.

I've experieced this quite a few times but the trick here is simple. Basically you need to make any feat statement sound hyper casual.
"the explosion left a crater that was at least 30 feet wide, exposing the half-molten pipes which were now filling the hole with steaming water"
or
"Tyrone moved so fast at that moment that he only heard my words after he reached the other side of the road"
or
"He smashed the boulder into dust, even if it was larger than the average dump-truck"

you need to imagine yourself as a casual person and then if you want size or speed then compare it to something casual that has a concrete measure - a plane, a train, sound, lightning, ect.

And if you want scaling consistency then manage it with minor calcs. Like you want one feat not to dwarf the other that was made later on so you can have consistency so you calculate both with next to no precision (it was larger than a 3 floor building? cool, let's say it was 9 or 10 meters) and just make sure there is a notable distance between them for it to be within the margin of error.

Alternatively, you can just use feats and abilities that have no easy correlation to VS terminology. This only really works in high fantasy/sci-fi stories, but it allows you do to some really wacky shit without worrying about it coming off as VS bait.

Like, what ability is manipulating morphic fields? I don't know and I don't care; The fact that it's cool and can lead to some ****** up body horror shit is all that's important to me.

Y'know, even though adding measurements wouldn't make sense nor does it really matter for the story.
depends on what type of story and writing style. Personally if a guy said "big mountain" then i'd prefer a clarification whether it is a 3km mountain or an 8 km mountain as that changes things drastically. Jumped from a tall building? Skyscraper or not? Another case for me was a feat in a comic that was only stated. A guy broke a "big dam" which was "visible above the trees" or sth like that and it makes you think because that could be any size. I took 45m cause that is the average size of a normal sized dam but still, i would prefer more description than "taller than the trees".

depends on what type of story and writing style. Personally if a guy said "big mountain" then i'd prefer a clarification whether it is a 3km mountain or an 8 km mountain as that changes things drastically. Jumped from a tall building? Skyscraper or not? Another case for me was a feat in a comic that was only stated. A guy broke a "big dam" which was "visible above the trees" or sth like that and it makes you think because that could be any size. I took 45m cause that is the average size of a normal sized dam but still, i would prefer more description than "taller than the trees".
Those general descriptions are actually fine when it comes to adding actual descriptions in my opinion, the specific dimension don't have to be given that literally.

This is me just being stupid and getting annoyed when someone doesn't give all the dimensions. As in like it gives just enough description to get a general feel of the height, like saying there's say a 30 meter wall that's destroyed, or something like that but then you have no idea how wide or how long said destroyed section of the wall was. Then it just feels like its this close to being an actual feat but there isn't enough to actually calc it.

Those general descriptions are actually fine when it comes to adding actual descriptions in my opinion, the specific dimension don't have to be given that literally.

This is me just being stupid and getting annoyed when someone doesn't give all the dimensions. As in like it gives just enough description to get a general feel of the height, like saying there's say a 30 meter wall that's destroyed, or something like that but then you have no idea how wide or how long said destroyed section of the wall was. Then it just feels like its this close to being an actual feat but there isn't enough to actually calc it.
As long as a wall is part of a building you can probably calculate it. A guy busts through a wall in Britain. Get the materials and the width of a common british wall and just do fragmentation of rectangle using the approximate dimensions of the guy.

As long as a wall is part of a building you can probably calculate it. A guy busts through a wall in Britain. Get the materials and the width of a common british wall and just do fragmentation of rectangle using the approximate dimensions of the guy.
Nah this feat im talking about was for a random fortress wall made by 40k Orks. There is literally no way to know the thickness of said wall because the way Orks build is "let's bolt shit together randomly". For all we know the wall could've been various thicknesses because of that or it could've been one unknown thickness. The width could be guessed given it was a laser that cut through it so I guess the height of the wall but still.

Another example from a 40k book is something along the lines of "the blast cracked the planet". Cool. What does that even mean. The feat's bound to be massive but there's literally no dimensions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back