• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Vs battles wiki pet peeves

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is kind of long but whatever

A new pet peeve I’ve been having recently is the vs battles wiki burnout. I haven’t really been involved with discussions in the forums anymore and when I do, sometimes shit gets heated and it leaves me feeling even more miserable then before when I decide to join in the conversation. There’s also the fact that I’ve started to focus on my irl self recently and that going on the forums and looking at profiles that need to be updated is no longer fun anymore and I start to think to myself “why did I enjoy this small hobby” even if I know that I’ve met some decent people on here.

God I never thought this would be that long when typing this

Semantics is unfortunately the name of the game. That's just how it has to work.
Uhh, which definition are you using?
dCuhjHh.png

Which would be High 9-B not 9-A anyway, completely missing the issue

Reminds me of that idea to change Street level to "Peak Human level" so it's consistent with the Speed and LS levels, divide Wall level into Street level (15 KJ to 1 MJ) and Wall level (1 MJ to 20.92 MJ), and change Small Building level to "Multi-Wall level" or something, which sounds just as stupid as "Large Wall level"

I assumed High 8-C was like for destroying midrises and the like
Tl;dr: Trying to have all encompassing naming conventions is silly. E.g: Call it a "hunch" but I think destroying the Great Wall of China will be a "bit" higher that a hypothetical "High 9-B".

You know how TVTropes ruins your life and your vocabulary by making you hyper-aware of whenever a widely-used story element shows up in some work?

"The Big Guy's naturally going to get out his Worf Barrange on this new Blood Knight before being called a Worthy Opponent and being knocked out, because he's Strong, But Unskilled and his Super Mode is So Last Season plus It's Time To Unlock More True Potential."

This site does the exact same thing, except instead of narrative tools it's completely irrelevant stuff from a story perspective like crater fragmentation and explosion size. And being hyper aware of this is especially bad when trying to actually write a story.

You know how TVTropes ruins your life and your vocabulary by making you hyper-aware of whenever a widely-used story element shows up in some work?

"The Big Guy's naturally going to get out his Worf Barrange on this new Blood Knight before being called a Worthy Opponent and being knocked out, because he's Strong, But Unskilled and his Super Mode is So Last Season plus It's Time To Unlock More True Potential."

This site does the exact same thing, except instead of narrative tools it's completely irrelevant stuff from a story perspective like crater fragmentation and explosion size. And being hyper aware of this is especially bad when trying to actually write a story.
You know the VSB-brainrot is terminal and your writing career is dead when you catch yourself describing the height of the explosion or the depth of the crater in detailed metric...

Gotta throw a bone to a fellow powerscaler aye? You know how infuriating it is to have a feat in front of you but the author only describes it as "big", like any sane person would.

it has the same energy as "battleboarding ruin your life because you only noticing the feats a character performed and their haxes and didn't enjoy the story"

IDK, sometimes adding the context of a character's strength can make a story way more memorable.

On the other hand "writing flaws" that are only really flaws to vs debaters raise up, which can compromise the enjoyability of a series.

Authors generally act as if sharp things and heat ignore durability, characters need a car to travel when they can physically travel faster than light, and then there's arbitrary stuff like affecting multiple universes being more impressive AP wise than a single one when technically it's the exact same AP (yet we treat them like this anyways because lol fiction).

IDK, sometimes adding the context of a character's strength can make a story way more memorable.

On the other hand "writing flaws" that are only really flaws to vs debaters raise up, which can compromise the enjoyability of a series.

Authors generally act as if sharp things and heat ignore durability, characters need a car to travel when they can physically travel faster than light, and then there's arbitrary stuff like affecting multiple universes being more impressive AP wise than a single one when technically it's the exact same AP (yet we treat them like this anyways because lol fiction).
yeah but when you delve in battlboarding too much, it'll really break the immersion you felt when you read something

Authors generally act as if sharp things and heat ignore durability,
Sharp things take advantage of smaller surface areas with equal force multiplying pressure on an object to puncture stuff, it's just that writers often extend it to unrealistic levels.

Heat does ignore an object's resistance to blunt force, the energy required to heat an object up isn't directly related to any standard strength metric, but what's ignored is how a bunch of energy in blunt force impacts is converted to waste heat anyway, so characters who can tank red-hot explosions from meteors shouldn't be concerned by fire.

Although if you wanna get really technical, the max heat of explosions and such only last a fraction of a second while fire and lava are continuously hot, so in terms of total thermal energy recieved there could be an argument that [see 6 more lines]
characters need a car to travel when they can physically travel faster than light,
What's going on is that Rule of Cool often applies to actions in fights, but not to traveling places.
and then there's arbitrary stuff like affecting multiple universes being more impressive AP wise than a single one when technically it's the exact same AP (yet we treat them like this anyways because lol fiction).
I feel like that relies too much on the context of the cosmology to be sure.

If the Multiverse is made up of 4-D Universes finite in Hypervolume, then obviously 2 > 1, but if each Universe is infinite in size, then yeah it'll be the same.

Honestly I can understand stuff like piercing getting through dura depending on the surface area, but about heat ignoring durability doesn't really make sense to me, because it's like saying that I can burn a 5-B with a lighter

Honestly I can understand stuff like piercing getting through dura depending on the surface area, but about heat ignoring durability doesn't really make sense to me, because it's like saying that I can burn a 5-B with a lighter
That's your fault for immediately thinking of an extreme example for heat. Why didn't you think of an extreme example for piercing damage? (5-B getting hurt by sitting on a thumb tack)

yeah but when you delve in battlboarding too much, it'll really break the immersion you felt when you read something
This is the realest statement of them all. I have a major gripe with one verse here, because its supporters take every single line in it too literally to the point that the characters are so massively wanked it's not even funny. I'd like to revise the verse, but I'd have to sift through a lot of novels first, so it'll take a while.

But there lies yet another problem. "Flowery language" and "Metaphor" have been thrown around in this wiki so much that it has basically turned into a "The Boy Who Cried Wolf" situation, because now when you're confronted with a scan or statement that's clearly supposed to be flowery, people will just ignore you and claim you have no argument, forcing you and them to go through multiple mental gymnastics just to prove that the statement shouldn't be taken at face-value.

That's your fault for immediately thinking of an extreme example for heat. Why didn't you think of an extreme example for piercing damage? (5-B getting hurt by sitting on a thumb tack)
Again, surface area, and it would have to take into account of how resistant they are piercing damage like if they're bulletproof for an example

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back